IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline OP
master
ademon  Offline OP
master
A

IL, Aurora
Looking to buy a pair of seats for my car, maybe only around $400 or so total. What is the best way to send payment for them to cover butt.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: ademon] #259769
03/20/09 10:31 AM
03/20/09 10:31 AM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
What kind of payments will the seller accept?

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: ademon] #259770
03/20/09 10:53 AM
03/20/09 10:53 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
A postal MO cost the same(.65 cents)here as a grocery store one & since it is a federal instrument I think it gives you more power if there's fraud. You might see if you can access prior threads on eGay/paypal in regards to this subject but with that being said I get a home AND a work #/address & talk to the guy on the phone & see how I feel & go with my gut and I have regularly sent cash up to ~$100 in the mail in a flat envelope which always amazes the seller either at my boldness or my foolishness but I havent had a letter get lost in the mail yet(cant say the same for packages ) & even with no delivery confirmation on a regular type letter none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive & it lets you work a slightly better deal as they can just start spending it without having to cash anything.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: RapidRobert] #259771
03/20/09 10:57 AM
03/20/09 10:57 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

A postal MO cost the same(.65 cents)here as a grocery store one & since it is a federal instrument I think it gives you more power if there's fraud. You might see if you can access prior threads on eGay/paypal in regards to this subject but with that being said I get a home AND a work #/address & talk to the guy on the phone & see how I feel & go with my gut and I have regularly sent cash up to ~$100 in the mail in a flat envelope which always amazes the seller either at my boldness or my foolishness but I havent had a letter get lost in the mail yet(cant say the same for packages ) & even with no delivery confirmation on a regular type letter none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive & it lets you work a slightly better deal as they can just start spending it without having to cash anything.

USPS money order is your safest bet, if they try to pull any hanky panky and don't send the package, it's mail fraud since the USPS is involved, and that's a felony. 2nd best would be paypal with a credit card. if it doesn't come, then you can distpute the charge on your CC.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: patrick] #259772
03/20/09 12:23 PM
Portland,OR
R
rjsjea Offline
rjsjea  Offline
R

Portland,OR
Credit card, dispute the charge if the package doesnt arrive

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: RapidRobert] #259773
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

... I have regularly sent cash up to ~$100 in the mail in a flat envelope which always amazes the seller either at my boldness or my foolishness but I havent had a letter get lost in the mail yet(cant say the same for packages ) & even with no delivery confirmation on a regular type letter none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive...

Aside from USPS prohibiting the mailing of cash, you're kinda setting the other guy up if your letter does actually get lost. So if they say the $$ didn't arrive, do you automatically believe them, or do you assume they lied, or what???

Oops, I found the answer...

Quote:

... none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive...

I'm sure you're a nice, happy-go-lucky person in-person, but your statements above are characteristic of someone that internet sellers to not get involved with...

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: Fury Fan] #259774
03/20/09 12:31 PM
03/20/09 12:31 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline OP
master
ademon  Offline OP
master
A

IL, Aurora
I don't think i would be able to pay by credit card, its a private owner. If i get a USPS money order could they verify the persons name is indeed the the person residing at the address i would be sending the money order to?

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: Fury Fan] #259775
03/20/09 12:51 PM
03/20/09 12:51 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

... I have regularly sent cash up to ~$100 in the mail in a flat envelope which always amazes the seller either at my boldness or my foolishness but I havent had a letter get lost in the mail yet(cant say the same for packages ) & even with no delivery confirmation on a regular type letter none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive...

Aside from USPS prohibiting the mailing of cash, you're kinda setting the other guy up if your letter does actually get lost. So if they say the $$ didn't arrive, do you automatically believe them, or do you assume they lied, or what??? Oops, I found the answer...
Quote:

... none has been bold/dishonest enough to claim that it didn't arrive...

I'm sure you're a nice, happy-go-lucky person in-person, but your statements above are characteristic of someone that internet sellers to not get involved with...

I think you've nailed me Actually all of my transactions have went well (other than having to back out af a deal or 2 because I realized that I could not afford something that I thought I just could not live without & I have rectified that situation.) but that is only because no(cash bearing) letters have been lost & yes point taken that, that would all change if one DID become lost. Now tell me how YOU are doing today.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: RapidRobert] #259776
03/20/09 04:41 PM
03/20/09 04:41 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

I think you've nailed me Actually all of my transactions have went well (other than having to back out af a deal or 2 because I realized that I could not afford something that I thought I just could not live without & I have rectified that situation.) but that is only because no(cash bearing) letters have been lost & yes point taken that, that would all change if one DID become lost. Now tell me how YOU are doing today.

Not meaning to beat on you -- only what you wrote.

I had a 2 bad experiences in my early Ebay days and it taught me to keep documents on everything. The phrase 'trust, but verify' is now dear to my heart.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: Fury Fan] #259777
03/20/09 05:42 PM
03/20/09 05:42 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
Send the MO in a registered letter.Then they have to sign for it.The post office frowns on fraud.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: Fury Fan] #259778
03/20/09 05:52 PM
03/20/09 05:52 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Not meaning to beat on you -- only what you wrote.:D
me to keep documents on everything. The phrase 'trust, but verify' is now dear to my heart.

Alright we're good and my black eye feels alot better . And if one of my(cash bearing) envelopes did get lost I'm the type of guy that I'd probably just send another one out & chalk it up to the law of averages but with that being said I remember what the mechanic across the street told me when I was 12 yrs old. "Mike, friendship ceases when it comes to money" I did not believe him at the time but I do now

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: RapidRobert] #259779
03/20/09 06:58 PM
03/20/09 06:58 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Pay by credit card through paypal. Take 5 minutes, setup a paypal account and you can by him through paypal with your credit card. That way the seller can get your $$ while never seeing your credit car #. If the item does't arrive, get your credit card company to reverse the charges.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #259780
03/21/09 05:00 AM
03/21/09 05:00 AM
ne
B
broncobra Offline
mopar
broncobra  Offline
mopar
B

ne
If you don't have or don't want to get a credit card for paypal, you can also use a debit card. Paypal is the best way.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: broncobra] #259781
03/21/09 09:31 AM
03/21/09 09:31 AM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Does anyone actually know someone who has had a claim (reimbursement) settled by Pay pal everyone I've ever talked with says pay pal says handle it on your own and that is all the ever get????
It's just electronic and does absolutely nothing for you!!!

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #259782
03/21/09 10:30 AM
03/21/09 10:30 AM
SF Bay Area, CA
charger440sixpak Offline
mopar
charger440sixpak  Offline
mopar

SF Bay Area, CA
Quote:

Pay by credit card through paypal. Take 5 minutes, setup a paypal account and you can by him through paypal with your credit card. That way the seller can get your $$ while never seeing your credit car #. If the item does't arrive, get your credit card company to reverse the charges.

Except the CC company won't reverse the charge because there's nothing fraudulent with the PayPal transaction. You sent money to PayPal, PayPal received it and provided the service they agreed to, namely to transfer money to a third party.

Now the fact that the third party did or didn't perform, that's of no interest to the credit card company. That's why you will have to go thru PayPal to resolve any problem. And they used to charge $75.00 to recover any funds...

Don't ask me how I know...

PayPal did eventually refund my payment (minus the $75). So for items over $75, it's worth it, IMHO.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: charger440sixpak] #259783
03/22/09 12:06 AM
03/22/09 12:06 AM
Montana
P
Posest Offline
super stock
Posest  Offline
super stock
P

Montana
I am going through it right now. I paid 300 for a part that I never recieved. I went through paypal and filed a claim. I will let you know how it turns out. I have not seen a waiver for $75 but I am sure it is there. In my case I hope the person has their privleges revoked, as that is their main source of payment. Not only through e-bag but their wrecking yard business. Hope it works out in my favor. I also have heard it is a source of fraud, accepting payment for goods not sent.

Re: Best way to pay for bigger $$ parts ?? [Re: charger440sixpak] #259784
03/22/09 01:41 AM
03/22/09 01:41 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Except the CC company won't reverse the charge because there's nothing fraudulent with the PayPal transaction. You sent money to PayPal, PayPal received it and provided the service they agreed to, namely to transfer money to a third party.

Now the fact that the third party did or didn't perform, that's of no interest to the credit card company. That's why you will have to go thru PayPal to resolve any problem. And they used to charge $75.00 to recover any funds...

Don't ask me how I know...

PayPal did eventually refund my payment (minus the $75). So for items over $75, it's worth it, IMHO.

I've heard more than one story about people having their CC company reverse the paypal charges, resulting in paypal subsequently dropping them from their service.