03/18/09 02:26 PM
03/18/09 02:26 PM
Ohio
Strongbad Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons
Strongbad  Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons

Ohio
So I got the 70 Duster with the 400 running well. But it doesnt turn well. It has the small tires up frount and MT ET Strees in back. I want the car to corner easier.

I was thinking I'd start by finding a cheap set of street wheels and tires and go 50's in back and 60 or 75's up frount but after that ? what to do?

The car has a 75 Dart Sport SM K frame and torsion bars. So I was thinking of going with Coil over Shocks. The entire frount end has been rebuilt and it has not tabs for a torsion bar.

What are some things I can do to make the car more street friendly? Right now I am more drag car and less street car than I want to be.

Thank you for the help. this is my 1st BB A body so I am asking the experts.

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Strongbad] #258130
03/18/09 02:54 PM
03/18/09 02:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sure you will get lots of help on site.

Another good site if you haven't already been there is bigblockdart.com

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: ] #258131
03/18/09 02:57 PM
03/18/09 02:57 PM
Ohio
Strongbad Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons
Strongbad  Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons

Ohio
I have not been there thx you for the info!

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Strongbad] #258132
03/18/09 03:04 PM
03/18/09 03:04 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
IMHO...slow down!gas it and drift around corners

and learn what it takes working the brakes and gas to get it done as in drifting and practice

bigger t-bars,shocks,gotta get a swaybar some how?better springs and shock for the rear also

and some big a$$ front/rear brakes getting it to slow down fast setting up for the nose dive and body roll just as you enter a corner helped me launch back out of it at wot kinda auto x ing

and I ran 73 A-body disc,some 195/60/15 on my 68 Dart all the way round on 7" cop rims and dog dishes back in the day

had the nose cranked up in the air about 2" higher than the rear(cranked down the /6 bars for drag use)

added extra stock leafs in the rear spring packs

went around corners like on rails...but the body roll was like it was gonna turn over

nose up helped keep the front end pointed in the right direction and helped the rear brake out and come around some...sorta like a shine runner

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #258133
03/18/09 03:13 PM
03/18/09 03:13 PM
Ohio
Strongbad Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons
Strongbad  Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons

Ohio
Well i dont know how fast I will really need to be cornering. But right now I have 300 bucks worth of drag shoks on the frount with skinny 8" frount rims. I have no sway bars and Superstock springs in back with some ok shocks. The SS sprinks raise the back and make it super nice and stiff. maybe even to much.

When I turn though The roll and even the frount end slide at low speed is not going to work if I am looking to cruise the car. Unless I slow to a crawl to turn it feels like I am about to slide. I figure a cheap set of wheels with some good tires on them may get take care of some of the problem.

I always liked the old Aluminum slots. Or cop wheels with Dog dishes. Not sure how tall or wide I should go up frount with the fender well hedders and such.

This whole BB A body stuff has shown me I dont know as much about Mopars as I thought I did LOL.

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Strongbad] #258134
03/18/09 03:53 PM
03/18/09 03:53 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Well a BB A body is probably never going to be a real corner burner but it certainly should be safe. Two things to work on are weight and grip. There are a lot of ways to take weight off of a big block. Mini starter, aluminum heads, intake, water pump, water pump manifold, distributor, etc.

Good tires, proper suspension alignment, correct shocks, torsion bars, etc. will also help. Have the bushings in the suspension checked and replace if necessary. Put an anti-sway bar on there if it doesn't have.

This is all basic stuff, just takes time and money.

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Strongbad] #258135
03/18/09 03:55 PM
03/18/09 03:55 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
yea its a learning curve as A-body is a world of it own

I dont think the ss springs are made for turning and are most likly helping push the front end

I ran the 205/75/15 at first and it looked like a stock car with big ol honkin tires on it

those tubes will limet what ever tire you run

I ran the 3.5 weld skinnys with 165/15 tires last with manwell steering it was nice but no turning and easy on the brakes at a panic stop in traffic

also cause the rotor to get wet and fade real bad in the rain

the 195/60/15 and cop rims were IMO best

it was low and seemed to scrap the rockers around corner but hugged the road best for me

I suggest raising the front as much as you can stand and droping the ss springs for some stock HD rear springs

drag shocks got to go for corners

some good gasers would be better all the way round

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #258136
03/18/09 04:13 PM
03/18/09 04:13 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
It's actually pretty simple, but your $300 is not going ot get it done. You need bigger torsion bars, at least a front sway bar, better shocks, better tires, etc.

A good place to start is with:
1. .920" to 1" torsion bars (Mopar Perf or Firm Feel).
2. Small block sway bar or aftermarket (tabs are easy).
3. 15x7 rims on all four corners with the largest "H" series or better tire you can buy.
4. Good shocks for handling (lots of opinions).
5. De-arched SS or other rear springs

Those things will put you into the ballpark and also assumes that you have already done the disc brake upgrade to the front. That will also easily run around $1k or a little more.

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Strongbad] #258137
03/18/09 04:34 PM
03/18/09 04:34 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A Banana Republic near you.
Quote:

Well i dont know how fast I will really need to be cornering. But right now I have 300 bucks worth of drag shoks on the frount with skinny 8" frount rims. I have no sway bars and Superstock springs in back with some ok shocks. The SS sprinks raise the back and make it super nice and stiff. maybe even to much.

When I turn though The roll and even the frount end slide at low speed is not going to work if I am looking to cruise the car. Unless I slow to a crawl to turn it feels like I am about to slide. I figure a cheap set of wheels with some good tires on them may get take care of some of the problem.

I always liked the old Aluminum slots. Or cop wheels with Dog dishes. Not sure how tall or wide I should go up frount with the fender well hedders and such.

This whole BB A body stuff has shown me I dont know as much about Mopars as I thought I did LOL.

You have the car setup to go in a straght line , of course it's going to turn like crap .

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: JohnRR] #258138
03/18/09 04:43 PM
03/18/09 04:43 PM
Ohio
Strongbad Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons
Strongbad  Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

You have the car setup to go in a straght line , of course it's going to turn like crap .

See thats why I was asking to see what others would do. It was set up to drag race before I bought it and I now want it to turn corners.

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #258139
03/18/09 04:52 PM
03/18/09 04:52 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

It's actually pretty simple, but your $300 is not going ot get it done. You need bigger torsion bars, at least a front sway bar, better shocks, better tires, etc.

3. 15x7 rims on all four corners with the largest "H" series or better tire you can buy.

Those things will put you into the ballpark and also assumes that you have already done the disc brake upgrade to the front. That will also easily run around $1k or a little more.

This is a good list and very close to what I have done to my BB a-body(69 B'cuda). It's far from a corner carver,but rides and handles well. I would lower the car as far as you can(I flipped frt. leaf hangers w/SS springs)and add frame connectors. Those couple mods(along w/the list from Mr. Lusk)will make your car a LOT more enjoyable,trust me! Good luck! Oh yeah, BB a-bodies are a BLAST!!!

Re: Making a BB A body trun? [Re: Dcuda69] #258140
03/18/09 05:00 PM
03/18/09 05:00 PM
Ohio
Strongbad Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons
Strongbad  Offline OP
Bashes Buffoons

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

This is a good list and very close to what I have done to my BB a-body(69 B'cuda). It's far from a corner carver,but rides and handles well. I would lower the car as far as you can(I flipped frt. leaf hangers w/SS springs)and add frame connectors. Those couple mods(along w/the list from Mr. Lusk)will make your car a LOT more enjoyable,trust me! Good luck! Oh yeah, BB a-bodies are a BLAST!!!

Frame is already tied and frount disc. Thx you for the help. looks like I need to start ordering parts.