B
BradH Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline OP
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Originally Posted By D-50
My best 60ft has been a 1.33. It is always in the low 1.30's and I am using Rancho 9 ways on the back. I am using home made caltracs with stock leaf springs and shackles. I am running Drag Radial tires.

Wish my Challenger weighed 2950#s, instead of 3750+...

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2576493
11/09/18 06:45 PM
11/09/18 06:45 PM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio
Why not go full tilt and buy Santhuff shocks?? Actually I am in the same boat looking at shocks for a slightly heavier and faster car and I think the AFCO's seem to be the best bang for the buck right now

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: gregsdart] #2576512
11/09/18 07:14 PM
11/09/18 07:14 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Originally Posted By gregsdart
Look at how rise in the rear of a drag car gets less and less the faster the car gets.
As acceleration decreases in a slower car, controled seperation keeps the tire loaded enough for good traction. Once you get enough weight and g force planting those tires to get the front off the ground, you don't need any. It takes virtually no seperation and about eight inches of forward travel in my dart to get there. My carhas the power to keep the tires planted very early. A high 10 sec car not as much. Every car and situation will vary.
very interesting how are these guys going 1.0 sixty-foot . On a tiny 275 or small tire. And never lift a front tire off the track.. we have a hi 11-second. Street Dart.. has way better shocks than it needs hooks in a car wash with an 8 inch slick.. and never does a wheelie.. the fact of the matter is we race on prep surfaces.. I used to be one of the guys that struggled with the whole shock situation someone once said spend absolutely as much money as you can on shocks you will be way better off guess what they were right. There is no need to kill the tire it doesn't matter how slow or heavy your car is get some good shocks and be done with it

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2576673
11/10/18 03:18 AM
11/10/18 03:18 AM
Minnesota, USA
humpty Offline
mopar
humpty  Offline
mopar

Minnesota, USA
Mellow 1.36 60' launch off the brake: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNmSkJh_XE

Menscer shocks on all four corners. No drama!

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2576691
11/10/18 08:29 AM
11/10/18 08:29 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
Look at how rise in the rear of a drag car gets less and less the faster the car gets.
As acceleration decreases in a slower car, controled seperation keeps the tire loaded enough for good traction. Once you get enough weight and g force planting those tires to get the front off the ground, you don't need any. It takes virtually no seperation and about eight inches of forward travel in my dart to get there. My carhas the power to keep the tires planted very early. A high 10 sec car not as much. Every car and situation will vary.
very interesting how are these guys going 1.0 sixty-foot . On a tiny 275 or small tire. And never lift a front tire off the track.. we have a hi 11-second. Street Dart.. has way better shocks than it needs hooks in a car wash with an 8 inch slick.. and never does a wheelie.. the fact of the matter is we race on prep surfaces.. I used to be one of the guys that struggled with the whole shock situation someone once said spend absolutely as much money as you can on shocks you will be way better off guess what they were right. There is no need to kill the tire it doesn't matter how slow or heavy your car is get some good shocks and be done with it

Any car going 1.0 60 ft has virtually all the weight on the rear tires, would you agree with that? It doesn't matter what the visual is, weight transfer is enough to get the job done. I can make my dart run the same 60 ft with the front skimming the track; right up till track prep and my tires go away. Then a wheelstand can get the job done a little better. Most of us don't have our cars sorted out to the Nth degree nor do we have the best tires and equipment. So we bandaid the situation to get the job done the best we can.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2576721
11/10/18 11:50 AM
11/10/18 11:50 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
60ft is just a portion of the ET. A car that runs high 10's won't 60ft like a car that runs high 8's. It takes power with proper application to get the quickest 60ft. You can have plenty of traction and still have slower than expected 60ft. Ask yourself. Are you 60ft chasing, ET chasing, or bracket racing? All 3 are different set-up's. Then of course there is the variable of surface prep. Again a difference, not just in the tune but the car itself. Don't think your going to go to the local airport no prep with a heads up ET chaser on the same set-up. All this boils down to what you want to accomplish. Some guys will do fine with low buck 9 ways. Stepping up the power means stepping up the support system that goes with it. That means a shock with more adjustment and more than likely stiffer valving. For most of us here a decent double pair will accomplish your goals. Get a usable set (4) shocks with the proper range of adjustment. Now the rest of the car needs to match. correct range of front travel, no bind in the rear, correct instant center location, nose weight, converter, SLR, proper carb cal if foot braking. Then, test,test,test. It's not just bolting on magic shocks.
Doug

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: gregsdart] #2576796
11/10/18 03:11 PM
11/10/18 03:11 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca

Any car going 1.0 60 ft has virtually all the weight on the rear tires, would you agree with that? It doesn't matter what the visual is, weight transfer is enough to get the job done. I can make my dart run the same 60 ft with the front skimming the track; right up till track prep and my tires go away. Then a wheelstand can get the job done a little better. Most of us don't have our cars sorted out to the Nth degree nor do we have the best tires and equipment. So we bandaid the situation to get the job done the best we can.
I appreciate your knowledge.. just goes to show I have lots yet to still learn.. the car that you've mentioned a couple times who's leaf spring and bar are you using is it a caltracs or assassin or homemade and what size tire are you running . Also curious on the shock as well..

5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2576807
11/10/18 03:48 PM
11/10/18 03:48 PM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

I appreciate your knowledge.. just goes to show I have lots yet to still learn.. the car that you've mentioned a couple times who's leaf spring and bar are you using is it a caltracs or assassin or homemade and what size tire are you running . Also curious on the shock as well..

I don't get your sarcasm or attempt to scrap with me over this. All i intended to point out is every situation is different. All i have an interest in is getting what info to the OP i can that may help his setup. Over and out.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: gregsdart] #2576911
11/10/18 09:53 PM
11/10/18 09:53 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Once you get enough weight and g force planting those tires to get the front off the ground, you don't need any. It takes virtually no seperation and about eight inches of forward travel in my dart to get there. My car has the power to keep the tires planted
. First of all I wasn't being sarcastic I was being honest. By your response I wish I would have been sarcastic. I learn by trial-and-error mostly by making the same mistake over and over again. And Real World Experience using leaf springs.. I see many fast cars that never pull the front wheel off the ground I asked a question you answered
I assume the answer you gave was correct
.no reason to get upset. Still curious on your rear suspension.. your 60-foot times are impressive.

5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2576914
11/10/18 09:58 PM
11/10/18 09:58 PM
B
BradH Offline OP
BradH  Offline OP
B

Everyone's feedback on this subject is appreciated. Nobody's nose should be getting bent outta shape as far as I can tell.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: dvw] #2576918
11/10/18 10:05 PM
11/10/18 10:05 PM
B
BradH Offline OP
BradH  Offline OP
B

Originally Posted By dvw
... test,test,test. It's not just bolting on magic shocks.
Doug

No argument there. I'm expecting the new combination is going to take some time to get sorted out.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2576965
11/11/18 12:32 AM
11/11/18 12:32 AM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Once you get enough weight and g force planting those tires to get the front off the ground, you don't need any. It takes virtually no seperation and about eight inches of forward travel in my dart to get there. My car has the power to keep the tires planted
. First of all I wasn't being sarcastic I was being honest. By your response I wish I would have been sarcastic. I learn by trial-and-error mostly by making the same mistake over and over again. And Real World Experience using leaf springs.. I see many fast cars that never pull the front wheel off the ground I asked a question you answered
I assume the answer you gave was correct
.no reason to get upset. Still curious on your rear suspension.. your 60-foot times are impressive.

My bad. On pain meds frown
I have 30 inch ladderbars (way too short) 33x15x15 stiffwall goodyears,130 lb springs (too stiff?), Afco big gun shocks.Torqueflite with 4.56 gears for a SLR of 11.17, which is considered hi for my ET in the Door Slammers chassis book. 46.7 percent weight on the back with a total of 3065 at the line. I would love to change this car over to a fourlink, so i wouldn't have to compensate so much with a very stiff shock setting.
I usually promote overspending on shocks, but didn't here because Brad has another thread on it. I think there is a lot yet to figure out on my car, after looking at data logger info. Also I am very impressed with the power you are making with the sb.

Last edited by gregsdart; 11/11/18 02:53 AM.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2576996
11/11/18 02:18 AM
11/11/18 02:18 AM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
Guys I am new to Caltracs. But I'm the video, it looks like there's 6 or 7 inches of body lift separation. Do you want that much on that car? If you were running a stick car would u still want a lot of separation. I remember SS springs recommending no separation w a stick car and only a couple inches of lift at the rear tire w automatic.
Is it different when u add the bars?

Old Geezer Racing
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2577007
11/11/18 03:03 AM
11/11/18 03:03 AM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Plenty of lift. If you want less, keep an eye on consistancy from good prep to poor track prep and pick your poison. I think the main thing is being able to control the rate of lift as much as how much lift you allow.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2577934
11/13/18 02:47 PM
11/13/18 02:47 PM
B
BradH Offline OP
BradH  Offline OP
B

very interesting how are these guys going 1.0 sixty-foot . On a tiny 275 or small tire. And never lift a front tire off the track.

I watched a number of videos since this post and was really surprised by how the X275 cars, for example, were doing just what you described above. Some of them are lifting the front wheels, but just barely, and carry them down track a ways before they come back down really smoothly.

That's in complete contrast to what you'll see from a lot of fast Stock Eliminator cars that still pull the fronts waaaaay up before they drop back down to earth. I wonder if that approach to tuning for radials (275/60 or 9 x 30) would translate well, if the Stocker guys tried it. Or maybe a Stocker's weight distribution and other chassis limitations still require a good bit of pitch rotation to get off the line consistently. shruggy

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2577982
11/13/18 04:56 PM
11/13/18 04:56 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Originally Posted By BradH
very interesting how are these guys going 1.0 sixty-foot . On a tiny 275 or small tire. And never lift a front tire off the track.

I watched a number of videos since this post and was really surprised by how the X275 cars, for example, were doing just what you described above. Some of them are lifting the front wheels, but just barely, and carry them down track a ways before they come back down really smoothly.

That's in complete contrast to what you'll see from a lot of fast Stock Eliminator cars that still pull the fronts waaaaay up before they drop back down to earth. I wonder if that approach to tuning for radials (275/60 or 9 x 30) would translate well, if the Stocker guys tried it. Or maybe a Stocker's weight distribution and other chassis limitations still require a good bit of pitch rotation to get off the line consistently. shruggy

your comparing apples to oranges, a stocker has no where near the power that an X275 or Ultra car has. the average Ultra car has 13-1500 hp or more. Stockers use all they can, the radial cars are all about power management and smooth application of it as soon as possible. X cars are 60' in the 1.0's Ultra cars are in the 1.teen range.
Also, a lot of Ultra and X cars move the instant center back an up. this hits the tire hard but doesn't lift the front, otherwise theyd be on the bumper all the time

Last edited by n20mstr; 11/13/18 05:13 PM.

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: n20mstr] #2578022
11/13/18 06:40 PM
11/13/18 06:40 PM
B
BradH Offline OP
BradH  Offline OP
B

Quote:
your comparing apples to oranges

Understood. But I wasn't sure how much of this was because a radial tire works better w/ the chassis tuned differently than a bias-ply, or because of all those other variables like HP, etc.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2578029
11/13/18 06:52 PM
11/13/18 06:52 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Quote:

Understood. But I wasn't sure how much of this was because a radial tire works better w/ the chassis tuned differently than a bias-ply, or because of all those other variables like HP, etc.
.. correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most stalkers running a radial now.. I think the original reason for the Post was just to show that cars can hook and go fast without pulling the front wheels off the ground.. we hit our car with everything that we can on the starting line. . it has been quite the adventure getting the car to work without all the rotation.. I myself have asked many questions on this forum regarding.. rotations.. I have found the most important thing is controlling the rear end of the car.. if it separates too quickly it will Top out and unload the tire.. if it's too slow it will never hook.. has kind of been a science project of mine on my car..

5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: BradH] #2578042
11/13/18 07:18 PM
11/13/18 07:18 PM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

An enlightening moment for me was years ago watching Billy Gliddens car at Route 66 skate off the line Fronts skimming the track. The rest of the field was pulling the fronts and getting thier collective butts handed to them.

Re: CalTracs setup - Chassis separation or limit it? [Re: WHITEDART] #2578050
11/13/18 07:31 PM
11/13/18 07:31 PM
B
BradH Offline OP
BradH  Offline OP
B

Quote:

.. correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most stalkers running a radial now...

Yep. Pic below is the 2017 Stock Finals at Indy showing two 10-sec 340-powered cars pulling 'em up, a lot of chassis separation, and planting their 9" radials.

(It also happens to be the background image on my work PC grin )

2017 US Nationals Stock Eliminator Final.JPG
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3