08/22/06 08:01 PM
08/22/06 08:01 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
I applied the first coat of gloss white to the rear chrome bumper today and i just went out to see how it was doing and it looks great. It's going to look really sharp with the black impact strip and bumperettes. The paint went right on over the chrome without any problem and i didn't scuff it before painting because the chrome was still in good condition, i just wanted white bumpers to match the car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25599
08/22/06 08:13 PM
08/22/06 08:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Saw a car that looked a lot like 69chargeryeehaa's but no one was around, so I couldn't confirm it. Were you on the field Sat. by any chance?

yes, it was my car, i guess it's a good thing you could'nt tell it was my car, otherwise it would have shown the roller paintjob looks obvious actually i had alot of compliments on the paint/body even before i mentioned "ya, this car cost me $50 to paint with tremclad and a foam roller!!!" . the avitar pic is my car with the prostars i had, but i bought the replica VECTOR wheels used in the dukes of hazzard that were on the car at the show, that probabally made it hard to tell if it really is the car!!!. lots of rain that day, it was sunny for about 30 mins, then started raining when i got there, that was fun was'nt it? i was in the parts swap area looking for goodies. i saw your truck, it looked awesome. i'm not big on green, but i have to admit that 2-tone looked really good on your truck. i too had alot of people recognize the car from here, and talked to alot of them about the paint job, and yes.....alot of them did'nt catch the "ya, i painted it with a roller and tremclad"!!! at first, but then i saw that "priceless" look, saw that look alot that day. some people i talked with thought it was a lie, others shared their total amazement, wanting to know everything about it and when i can paint their car!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25600
08/22/06 09:12 PM
08/22/06 09:12 PM
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
79_WARLOCK Offline
enthusiast
79_WARLOCK  Offline
enthusiast

Hey everyone

I was also at Moparfest with my 79 Macho Power Wagon, My dad driving my 79 Lil Red Express and my uncle with his Shelby Dakota. I too met some Moparts members including 78D150CLUB, the paint job looks awsome , and its also cool that its a factory big block truck.
Saturday was kind of a drag due to all the rain but sunday was alright in the afternoon. Even with the rain I had an awsome time as i do every year.
Attached are some pics.
Hope to see you all next year.

Jay

-1979 LiL Red Express -1979 Power Wagon Pick'M'Up Truck -1989 Dakota Sport Convertible -1989 Shelby Dakota,Red, Truck #471.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 79_WARLOCK] #25601
08/22/06 09:14 PM
08/22/06 09:14 PM
79_WARLOCK Offline
enthusiast
79_WARLOCK  Offline
enthusiast

-1979 LiL Red Express -1979 Power Wagon Pick'M'Up Truck -1989 Dakota Sport Convertible -1989 Shelby Dakota,Red, Truck #471.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25602
08/22/06 10:15 PM
08/22/06 10:15 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
I was pretty sure it was your car when I spotted the K40 on the back. Wish I had got to shake your hand, or buy you a beer, or at least say thanks in person. Maybe next year
I didn't think the roller job was obvious at all, the paint looked good to me.
Nice to talk to 79Warlock, as well. I spotted his Macho driving in Sat morning, and then bent his ear for a bit on Sunday. A pleasure to meet some of the people from here.
I spent a while in the swap as well, and got the wheel trim for mine for 15 bucks. Not absolutely perfect, but solid enough to clean up well and mount properly.
Rain and all, I had a great weekend, and will definitely be back.
Oh, and they should think about awarding a medal of bravery to the fellow with the F150 parked in a crowd of several hundred rabid Mopar fans

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25603
08/23/06 01:50 PM
08/23/06 01:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I'm ready to dive into the roller paint club. I have been listening to my wife complain about the ugly old beat up green car far to long. I went down and bought several colors of spray bombs and colored here and there on my Dart. The wife really liked the blue, so blue it is. Now I'm starting the body work.
I really appreciate 69chargeryehaa and all who have contributed. And a huge thanks to moparts for allowing this thread to continue.
I have sprayed a few cars but never tryed anything like this, so here is my question. I'm on page 25 of this thread and have read the origional and have not seen this addressed. My spray paint mentor once told me to watch the temp vs. due point when painting. If the temp is falling fast..don't paint. If the due point and the temp are too close together..don't paint. My mentor said when the concrete is sweating they are definitely close together. I see some experienced painters on here and would like to read their comments on this, and whether or not it has any effect on a single stage paint like the tremclad/rustoleum.

And thanks to the moderators for keeping the language a clean enough for my kids to read.

Last edited by 268darts; 08/23/06 01:52 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25604
08/23/06 04:23 PM
08/23/06 04:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum when it just started and saw 69Charger's post. At that time, I thought it was a big joke, but now I've stumbled across this forum again and found that a lot of people are trying this out and it actually works! Incredible. I stayed up late last night till 5AM reading reading through all of the 80 or so pages on this forum.

I am for sure going to try this method, but I have a question about prepping the body. Now I know using a Dual Action sander is best, but I don't have a good enough compressor to support one. Would an electric random orbital sander do? Are there any other types of sanding machines I can use? The car currently has its factory paint and has been repainted before. I'm trying to sand it all off avoiding any chemical strippers.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mage33; 08/23/06 04:42 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25605
08/23/06 04:56 PM
08/23/06 04:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used a random orbit electric sander, it worked fine. My crx had a crappy spray job over the factory paint, which I sanded off. The Rustoleum Professional sticks to pretty much anything anyway. Here is a pic after 2 coats!

Last edited by jonh7; 08/23/06 04:57 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25606
08/23/06 08:09 PM
08/23/06 08:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just want to say thank you guys for your help and solving my slight issue. It was infact the gloves...since I didn't have that issue when working on the car. Speaking of which..here is the sixth coat...still need to wetsand and polish..but I love the results.

I really want to see the finished product after you wetsand and buff. Your car looks very clean.

Did you end going with Tremclad/Restolean/Brightside?
I believe you used gloss white?

Keep up the good work.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25607
08/23/06 09:07 PM
08/23/06 09:07 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

... so here is my question. I'm on page 25 of this thread and have read the origional and have not seen this addressed. My spray paint mentor once told me to watch the temp vs. due point when painting. If the temp is falling fast..don't paint. If the due point and the temp are too close together..don't paint. My mentor said when the concrete is sweating they are definitely close together. I see some experienced painters on here and would like to read their comments on this, and whether or not it has any effect on a single stage paint like the tremclad/rustoleum.

When spraying or rolling... the temperature and the humidity both play a factor in how things will go....

The temperature will affect how fast (too hot) or how slow ( too cold ) the paint will cure. If the temperature is too hot then the paint will not 'self-level' itself out properly because it has dried too rapidly. If the paint dries too rapidly the skin will dry quicker than say the paint that is in contact with the body of the car. This can lead to the wrinking effect ( which is worst than dealing with orange peel ).

When it is toooooo cold.... well the problem is that the paint does not cure within the time frames that the manufacturer says the paint will cure. You again may end up in a situation where the surface skin 'appears' to have 'dried' - but in fact the paint below the skin is still attempting to cure. This may result in the 'carrier' of the paint trying to evaporate through a sealed skin surface. I think this tends to give the paint a foggy appearance - which you can't simply compound out.

The thing about humidity is that if it is too humid then the paint will not have as nice a gloss or shine on its skin ( the outer most surface - the one that is visible ). The higher the humidity the less gloss and shine.

If it is too humid you may find that the coat of paint you apply might take on a bit of a foggy appearance, along with the lack of gloss. I am not a chemical engineer... but I think when the paint is drying, and the carrier solvent is evaporating from the paint.. there might be some molecular chemical reaction happening between the evaporant and the moisture in the air. This is something similar to what people have experienced with 'water spots' - where it has rained on their curing paint.

So ideally you want to do the spraying or rolling on days where the temperatures are within specifications of the paint manufacturer. If it is comfortable enough to work without breaking into a sweat then that is probably a good day.

As for humidity... well you can usually tell when there is too much moisture in the air ( after a rain, prior to a rain, first thing in the morning when there is a temperature transition from warm to cold or cold to warm - where condensation might form ).

In my case I had to wait five days to put the final coat of paint on my car because we were in the middle of a heat wave.... up past 100 ferenheit.. Then we got hit by two massive rain days. Rather than take a gamble on the how the weather might affect the final quality of my last coat of paint I waited until the temperature and humidity were optimal.

I should mention that I was quite pleased that I waited it out before laying on the last coat of paint because that final coat had the best appearance of all the previous coats that I had put on... ( it was road worthy shiny ).

Last edited by Marq; 08/23/06 09:20 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25608
08/23/06 10:47 PM
08/23/06 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i figured out if it is to hot and humid the paint ran and had to sand the run and repaint so i got a nub file for the runs.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25609
08/24/06 12:26 AM
08/24/06 12:26 AM
Southern Arizona
S
Sazman Offline
Sazman  Offline
S

Southern Arizona
Neat thread, kudos to all who add to the information here. I was wanting to know, Marq or anyone, what rattlecan brand and color is a close match to the Brightsides Fire Red? I got some Brightsides from the guy on Ebay but haven't been able to find a close match in a spray can locally. Thanks, and I will stay tuned.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Sazman] #25610
08/24/06 01:12 AM
08/24/06 01:12 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Neat thread, kudos to all who add to the information here. I was wanting to know, Marq or anyone, what rattlecan brand and color is a close match to the Brightsides Fire Red? I got some Brightsides from the guy on Ebay but haven't been able to find a close match in a spray can locally. Thanks, and I will stay tuned.

Have you tried Rustoleum safety red?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Sazman] #25611
08/24/06 08:45 AM
08/24/06 08:45 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I was wanting to know, Marq or anyone, what rattlecan brand and color is a close match to the Brightsides Fire Red? I got some Brightsides from the guy on Ebay but haven't been able to find a close match in a spray can locally.

Yes... the Rustoleum/Tremclad 'Fire Red' is almost identical to the Brightside 'Fire Red'. In fact I used the Tremclad 'Fire Red in the trunk, engine compartment, door jambs etc and you cannot detect any difference against the exterior body part that were painted with Brightside 'Fire Red'.

It seems that this particular shade of red is quite popular among the paint manufacturers. I noticed two of the other marine paint companies, AWLGrip and Petit both have an identical shade of red.

In the spray bombs there are also a number of other manufacturers that produce a similar 'Fire Red' color. The only caution I would throw in is that I would not use a lacquer based 'Fire Red'. There may be a compatibility problem there... because the lacquer based paints tend to cause wrinkling on enamels and polyurathanes.

So if you cannot get some Tremclad/Rustoleum 'Fire Red'.. just be sure to get an enamel based type of paint. The only polyurathane spray bomb that I saw was a Varathane 'Fire Red'....

I did look into one other option.... We have a local body shop supply jobber that makes 'custom cans' of spray paint. They will take any color of paint you want and put it into a spray can. These are the 'tall' size spray cans. The only downfall with getting some cut Brightside put into a spray bomb is that the jobber charges $25 per can.... OUCH... So that is why I went with the Tremclad 'Fire Red' at $7.98 per tall boy...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25612
08/24/06 02:13 PM
08/24/06 02:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Marq, when you are you going to show us your polished Brightside paint? I know you waiting for it to cure more...
I think we all would like to see the outcome using this type of paint. Right now I'm still deciding wether to use Tremclad with a clear coat ontop or just Brightside. Only thing holding me back from Brightside is that the finish doesn't last long from what I've read in the past posts. How is yours holding up since you layed it down?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25613
08/24/06 03:22 PM
08/24/06 03:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

since I rolled my car with brightside the finish has been fine. My car sits outside all day in the sun and outside during storms. It takes the abuse of the weather and it's been on a few long trips with rocks on the roads.

A couple things to report:
1) no chips even after the stone road driving and 800 mile highway trip to buffalo, ny
2) No fading in the color
3) No loss of glossy finish (when I wash the dirt off it it's as good as when I painted it)
4) No stains in the paint from bird droppings whatso ever.

It's been on my car since mid july and only been washed once since.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25614
08/24/06 08:18 PM
08/24/06 08:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was your last coat wetsanded then polished ?or just left as is?
thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25615
08/24/06 09:25 PM
08/24/06 09:25 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hey Marq, when you are you going to show us your polished Brightside paint? I know you waiting for it to cure more...

The job is all done and I have been busily driving the car at every opportunity. I will try to snap some pictures this Saturday and post them up. Funniest thing is that I don't really expect anyone to be able to detect much difference in the appearance compared to the other 42 pics that I previously put onto the server.

The most significant difference between the final coat of Brightside and the wet sanded, compounded, polished and wax version is TOUCH. The paint on the car is now SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH to the touch. Slippery smooth... If you put something on the car body it slides off. You can't rest anything on the car or it will slide off and fall to the ground. Even the six pound Cable & Porter polisher went sliding to the ground when I left it lying on the car Many times the tub of Turtle Wax compounding product and bottles of Meguiars went for that slippery ride down the hood or trunk on a slipper ride, But probably the most interesting 'slippery' event was when I placed a fresh polishing rag on the hood of the car and gravity pulled it down the hood - there was no resistance to hold it in place on the hood. I was impressed because I have never been able to get a hood that slippery smooth.

Quote:

I think we all would like to see the outcome using this type of paint. Right now I'm still deciding wether to use Tremclad with a clear coat ontop or just Brightside. Only thing holding me back from Brightside is that the finish doesn't last long from what I've read in the past posts. How is yours holding up since you layed it down?

I have no qualms at all at laughing at anyone who tries to say the Brightside paint doesn't last long. It's made FOR BOATS... it's made to be exposed constantly to the sun. It's made to have the bodies of young ladies scantilly clad in just bikini's lying on it. It is a paint designed specifivally for the TOP PART of boats... where it gets things bounced off it, placed on it, dragged over, chemicals SPILLED on it ( like gas, oil, sun tan lotion etc ) it etc etc.

Bottom line is that this single stage polyurathane is a close and true relative of automotive paint. The main difference is that it is designed for boat owners to 'roll' with 5 inch rollers ON THEIR OWN PERSONAL WATERCRAFT.

Anyhow... I have discussed previously my experiences with the compounding, polishes and waxes that I used.

The only update I can add to that previous posting is that I also made use of the Turrle Wax brand compounding product. The brown muddy stuff in a tub. I liked it. It worked just as well as the more expensive 3M Perfection III compounding product. At some points I was even mixing the two products on the fly while compounding a surface. It seems the Turtle Wax compound product gives you more time to work with the product before it goes dry.

But from what I have seen and experienced there are two ways to go with the Brightside paint job :

a ) if you have successfully laid down a smooth and glossy final coat of paint... you might wish to stop at that point and live with that finish for a month. It will give the paint time to reach maximum hardness... but more importantly you will save yourself all the work of wetsanding, compounding and waxing. But please note that YOU CAN go to wet sanding and compounding within 24 hours of that final coat of paint being applied.

b ) if your final coat of Brightside gives you anything less then what you were hoping for... then breakout out the wet sanding and go from 1000, to 1500 to 2000. Then go for a compounding with the Turtle Wax compound product to rejuvenate the shine that was lost during the wetsanding. Once you have reached that level of shine from the compounding... go to the waxing stage. As previously noted... I had my best luck with Meguiars pure Carnuba and Meguiars High Tech wax. The 'High Tech' wax is a polymer and so it was more successful at giving the paint a deeper and darker look. The Carnuba wax was better at developing a high gloss.

I will take this opportunity to again pizz on the Turtle Wax ICE. It looked amazing for the first 10 seconds that it was applied on the paint - something like how amazing the finish looks when you wet it down with solvent to clean the car. But just like the solvent the paint goes back to its dull look once the Turtle Wax ICe evaporates. I was not impressed with that product.

Ok.... so nuff said for the moment. I will try to snap pics and post them this Saturday

Last edited by Marq; 08/24/06 09:35 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25616
08/24/06 10:51 PM
08/24/06 10:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So is rust, or brightside gettin better results? OR does it even matter, i think i read that with brightside you dont need miniral spirits to thing it out, its already good to go?

I believe both paint processes will give you equal results in the end. I swithced from the Rustoleum process to the Brightside process simply to cut down on the amount of work needed... it takes less coats and provides a glossy layer at each step of the procedure.

With the Brightside you can paint with it straight out of the can.... HOWEVER... I found it better to cut the paint with their thinning liquid which is specifically sold for the purposes of Brushing & Rolling. They call it a Brushing Liquid and they refer to it as product number 333 ( so as to be not confused with their actual thinning liquid ). On the can they say you can use from 5% to 10% of the brushing liquid with your can of paint. It's whole purpose is to buy you additional working time with the paint when applying it and to allow the paint additional time to self level. I found that when I cut the paint with the brushing liquid it made the bubbles more self-popping. In some ways you could say that the Interlux Brushing Liquid acts very much like how the mineral spirit helps the Tremclad/Rustoleum to self-pop its bubbles.

Naturally and logically whenever you thin a paint it will thin out the solids being applied to each layer that you are painting. So this may require that you complete one extra layer to the paint job in order to have laid down the same amount of pigment or solids... compared to if you had just laid down the paint straight out of the can.

Initially I did try to lay down a layer of paint straight out of the can... but after the first panel I immediately began cutting the paint with their 'Brushing Liquid". It just seemed to lay down better and gave me that extra bit of time to work the layer of paint with the second roller to make things appear visually even ( no roller lines and to pop any bubbles that had not self popped ).

Now... the Brushing Liquid sold by Interlux is basically 'Ketone'... as compared to 'mineral spirits' which are used to cut the Tremclad/Rustoleum. I believe that you might be able to use the smelly 'mineral spirits' to cut the Brightside paint. Basically they are both serving the same purpose - in that they are evaporative carriers. Meaning that although they are making the paint 'wetter' for when you are applying the paint... their key purpose is to evaporate and leave the paint solids behind. I believe that the mineral spirits may be slightly slower at evaporating WHEN COMPARED against the 'ketone'. This would suggest that using mineral spirits to cut Brightside paint might buy you yet more time for the paint to self-level and self-pop the bubbles.

One other thought did strike me during the painting process with Brightside and cutting it with their brushing fluid. We all are aware by now that the amount of gloss and shine of your final layer of paint is DIRECTLY AFFECTED by the amount of humidity and temperature. In fact Brightside clearly identifies humidity as a factor that we should work around. The key being that when you are in position to lay down your final layer... make sure that the temperature is cool and that humidity is LOW !

When I arrived at my final coat of paint I had to delay that painting by FOUR DAYS - because we were in the middle of a h3llish heat spell ( 35 degrees celcius ) with humidity factor that made it feel like 43 degrees celcius ( approx 114 degrees farenheit ). So I held off the final coat of paint until the morning temperature was MUCH COOLER and the humidity had dropped back down to normal levels. I believe this may have helped give the higher level of gloss compared to my earlier coatings.

Sorry that I have to write an essay to answer simple questions. But for folks who are reading these threads, they are on a quest to get as much information as possible to help them decide about the merits of attempting one of these 'roller jobs'.

This is confusing me. Interlux makes several paint additives. I have found these, and believe these are the ones that are being discussed in this forum for adding to the Brightside paint: Interlux Brushing Liquid 333: This is advertised as: Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid is a slow drying solvent to ease brushing and facilitate the flow of specified paint coatings. Extends drying in hot weather. Also recommended in various topside systems for removing sanding residue from fiberglass and wood surfaces.

Brushing Liquid 333 improves flow and extends working time of Interlux Schooner, Superspar, and Interior Rubbed Varnishes, especially in warm weather. Also works well with other Interlux paints including Premium Yacht Enamel, and Brightside Polyurethanes.

Now, if you follow Interlux's link to the MSDS, it says it contains two main components: Kerosene and Naptha.

The other talked about item is: Interlux 216 Special Thinner. Interlux 216 Special Thinner is a fast evaporating solvent which when added to specified paint coatings improves drying in cold climates, and facilitates spray application. 216 Thinner is also recommended for removing sanding residue from hull bottoms, wiping down bare aluminum clean, and for the general clean-up of paint equipment. MSDS shows it to contain: Ethyl Benzene and Xylene.

Now one retards drying and the other hastens it. Which to use, and when?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25617
08/25/06 08:19 AM
08/25/06 08:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When you get interlux's guide they show what to do with topside paint. The 333 is for brushing they recommend the other if you plan to spray. I suppose so when it atomizes it dries on the surface quickly?

To the person who asked I just went to my final coat and stopped. Mostly because I realized the color blue I did was too light. I want to go with sapphire blue. So I'm waiting to put that on before I'd try to sand and polish.

Page 58 of 159 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 158 159