03/14/09 08:04 AM
03/14/09 08:04 AM
Martinez, California
C
Challenged Offline OP
Challenged  Offline OP
C

Martinez, California
My bucket seats are in bad shape and need to be replaced. The new seats available on line don't have the upholstery style/color I want and I don't want to pay that much for a seat and then have it reupholstered. I have been looking in my local wrecking yards and have found several canidates but am not sure if they will work. I can figure out whether or not the brackets can be modified but am not sure about the height of the seat after its mounted. Has anyone used seats from a wrecking yard and had them fit? If so, what car did you get them out of? Thanks for your help.

Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: Challenged] #253247
03/14/09 04:43 PM
03/14/09 04:43 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

Has anyone used seats from a wrecking yard and had them fit?

Not if they were from another brand or model. If you modify the brackets make sure your welds are top shelf. Adding some reinforcement brackets is a good idea also. You don't want to die from the seat coming loose in an accident.

Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: Challenged] #253248
03/14/09 07:48 PM
03/14/09 07:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used a set of seats from a Plymouth Laser.
Only cost me $50 but you could possibly find cheaper.

They only needed a shim on the tunnel side of the seat.

I still need to rework some things but I gotta say they are really comfortable.
They recline and have lumbar support.

Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: Challenged] #253249
03/14/09 08:11 PM
03/14/09 08:11 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
The big problem with changing bucket seats is brackets and bringing the height of the seat to where it is comfortable. Many of the bucket seats out there look too small in our old cars.

I've seen a B body with buckets out of the late model Magnum/charger that looked pretty good.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: HealthServices] #253250
03/14/09 10:15 PM
03/14/09 10:15 PM
Martinez, California
C
Challenged Offline OP
Challenged  Offline OP
C

Martinez, California
Thanks for the replies, I wiil make sure that any changes I have to make to the brackets is done correctly so as not to alter their integrity. Seats out of a Plymouth Laser, wow , I doubt I will find any of those in my area. In 86 I wanted a red Laser XT but couldn't find one. The Plymouth dealer said I should test drive the Mustang SVO down the street, I did and bought it, what a ride it was. As far a size goes, I have noticed allot of small looking seats, that's why I take the measurements with me. I think the next time I go out to look I will bring one of my old seats for comparison. Thanks again

Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: Challenged] #253251
03/14/09 10:54 PM
03/14/09 10:54 PM
ne
B
broncobra Offline
mopar
broncobra  Offline
mopar
B

ne
Quote:

My bucket seats are in bad shape and need to be replaced. The new seats available on line don't have the upholstery style/color I want and I don't want to pay that much for a seat and then have it reupholstered. I have been looking in my local wrecking yards and have found several canidates but am not sure if they will work. I can figure out whether or not the brackets can be modified but am not sure about the height of the seat after its mounted. Has anyone used seats from a wrecking yard and had them fit? If so, what car did you get them out of? Thanks for your help.

I like the looks of the BMW Recaro style seats. Look them up on ebay. Just type in BMW seats. You can get them in leather and plenty of other options, a lot of times very reasonable. They offer a lot better seating comfort and style than the original 67 buckets in my Coronet. I even bought a set of blue leather ones for my suburbans worn out cloth seats and the color matched the interior perfectly, they look new and only $100.

Re: Bucket Seats.... [Re: broncobra] #253252
03/14/09 11:35 PM
03/14/09 11:35 PM
IA
L
landon1 Offline
mopar
landon1  Offline
mopar
L

IA
i don't really have any plans of changing seats, but if i were to (yep, i've thought about it) it would have to be late model corvette seats. the non-sport version (i believe) has the center divided into horizontal sections similar to the seats on the 73-4 B-bodies (minus the buttons), so take the buttons off of the rear seat upholstery and i think it may be pretty close....or just have a shop make some out of the same material as the front and make it perfect

'71 Satellite Sebring 440