06/05/06 06:28 PM
06/05/06 06:28 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
hey 69charger, thanks for the info on the tremclad clear coat, I'll definately be giving that stuff a try when I paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24559
06/05/06 09:42 PM
06/05/06 09:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All,
I have read all 40 some odd pages of this thread, and obviously it's some awesome information. I am going to do my Roadster in Gloss black (why go easy?) and i have a couple questions that weren't fully answered along the way. Can some one give me their opinion on the following:

1) I have a couple of spots that need body work that i know i'll have to sand to bare metal. Should i sand the rest of the car to bare metal? or should i just start with 80 and sand it all smooth? If i should go all the way to bare metal, should i primer it all afterwards? I know that Charger said you don't "have" to but "should" I?

2) How should i do my engine bay? as you can see (hopefully) it's rather difficult to roll that, so should i spray bomb it with matching color? if i do, should i sand it also, and do several coats like the rolled parts? and should i do that (and the trunk) first, then blend the fenders in that I'm going to roll? also, the engine bay is very dirty and grimy, how can i adequately prep it for painting with spray or otherwise?

I hope that wasn't too many questions at once, but they're the only ones i have left. not so much technique, but opinions. thanks.

Rufus

2678088-datsun002.jpg (767 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24560
06/05/06 09:43 PM
06/05/06 09:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

another pic...thanks.

2678092-datsun007.jpg (868 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24561
06/06/06 12:06 AM
06/06/06 12:06 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
On the engine compartment... I would probably clean up the engine compartment by :

a ) taking a spray bomb of foaming engine compartment cleaner and let that cleaner do its work. You could probably help it out by taking a scrub brush to help loosen the dirt and oil that exist in the compartment.

b ) rinse the engine compartment with water to flush out everything that the engine cleaner was able to loosen.

c ) take a sander or sandpaper to prepare the surface for painting.

d ) take a clean rag and wipe down the entire engine compartment with mineral spirits - to make sure that there is no cleaner, oil residue or dust left over from the sanding

e ) once the mineral spirits evaporate and the compartment is dry... start spray bombing it in light coats.... building up the layers slowly

Now... as for the specific black paint to use in the engine compartment... I would probably use the Tremclad or Rustoleum HIGH HEAT black SPRAY paint.

This is probably the most convenient method to go about the engine compartment.

I would tape off the fender lips and other areas so that the spray is confined 100% to the engine compartment. I would probably build up the layers by laying a fine mist per each spraying session.

The decision would have to rest with you as to whether you use the HIGH HEAT flat black or the HIGH HEAT gloss black.

I tend to think that the high heat GLOSS might be the better choice because it wouldn't trap the dust, dirt and splattered oil that splats around in the engine compartment with a flat version of the paint.

It would be possible to do the paint that is thinned down with mineral spirits ( and a brush and roller )in the engine compartment... BUT it would probably be a pain in the butt having to sand down the 2nd layers as you build up the color.

A spray can bombing of the engine compartment would probably prove to be better at getting into all the nooks and crannies in the engine area.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24562
06/06/06 12:48 AM
06/06/06 12:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq, that was exactly what i was hoping for, and very detailed. I will surely do that...

Anyone got any thoughts on question number 1?

Thanks a million for this thread!!! My buddies all think i'm insane already for wanting to roller my car, but hey, i DO live in Tennessee....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24563
06/06/06 09:52 AM
06/06/06 09:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

As for the clear coat....... i would have known that the clear coat would look so nice i would have done my car with it, but for now i'm driving the crap out of it so i'm happy, maybe in a few years i will repaint the charger from all the stone chips, stuff i drop on the car ect....

So if you were going to use the Tremclad Clear as a top coat "69" how would you go about using it?

Thin with lacquer thinner 5%, use a white foam roller and....?

Would you still sand the final 6th coat with 1500- 2000 grit and then topcoat with clear, or
no sanding and just clear?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24564
06/06/06 09:57 AM
06/06/06 09:57 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
after seeing exit's issue with coverage with the red paint, I'd be tempted to "prime" the whole car with a single color, be it white or whatever.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24565
06/06/06 10:28 AM
06/06/06 10:28 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

As for the clear coat....... i would have known that the clear coat would look so nice i would have done my car with it, but for now i'm driving the crap out of it so i'm happy, maybe in a few years i will repaint the charger from all the stone chips, stuff i drop on the car ect....

So if you were going to use the Tremclad Clear as a top coat "69" how would you go about using it?

Thin with lacquer thinner 5%, use a white foam roller and....?

Would you still sand the final 6th coat with 1500- 2000 grit and then topcoat with clear, or
no sanding and just clear?

i would finish the last coat and sand with 800-1000, leave the "dull/flat" finish (no polish) and go straight to clear, maybe 2 coats, the stuff is allready thin as water almost, it would need a very small amount of laquir thinner, then i would wetsand with 1000 and polish after the 2nd coat, or maybe do 3 coats, depending on how thin you apply them, the stuff levels better than the paint, and goes on super smooth, you could almost get away with just a polish if you do it right, and skip the wetsand. it all depends on your application of the clear, and how good you are at it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: patrick] #24566
06/06/06 10:32 AM
06/06/06 10:32 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

after seeing exit's issue with coverage with the red paint, I'd be tempted to "prime" the whole car with a single color, be it white or whatever.

exit is taking alot of time to make his car "perfect" that requires alot more work, thin coats, and more of them. the result will be a really nice paint job, i just did 2 med/thin coats to get coverage, and went succesivly thinner in coats when i approached the 6th coat, so i would'nt have to wetsand. the alternative is to just apply 2 medium coats to get coverage, then wetsand that, then proceed with really thin coats to get that perfect finish. But exit- you really should pull the car in the sun and have a look at it, in the garage, under artificall light, i can see flaws on my 2000's cars factory paint, in the sun it's a totally different story.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24567
06/06/06 10:38 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks Marq, that was exactly what i was hoping for, and very detailed. I will surely do that...

Anyone got any thoughts on question number 1?

Thanks a million for this thread!!! My buddies all think i'm insane already for wanting to roller my car, but hey, i DO live in Tennessee....

Marq gave excellent advice, marq - u must be in the business!!!! lol,

i can tell you from expirence that you really don't need to use the high heat stuff, just use the same paint as you would on the car, rustoleum/tremclad. As i mentioned a long time ago, the paint is very good at tollerating heat, my 74 beetle was painted underhood, and the rear apron with the tremclad, and air cooled VW's run HOT, VERY HOT, 6yrs and no issues with dammage to the paint from heat, so any water cooled car would have no issues at all. i would prep the area following marq's suggestions, they are excellent, and use the spray can in matching color gloss to do all the nooks and cranny's, resist the urge to apply heavy coats, and let each coat dry overnight, apply the first 2 coats as a "mist" coat and you'll be fine. if you spray it right with thin coats, there's no need to wetsand, the finish will be excellent. BTW the paint is very resistant to gas/oil/coolant, trust me i know, don't ask me how , lets just say "i know a guy"!!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24568

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a few questions before I get started. My friend just picked up an EF hatch, the car is in well good condition but the paint and body definately is not, so we are deciding to paint it this method (we want to do it to our main cars but don't wanna mess them up).

Now the car does have rust and we will have to prep it, I've read probably every page of this but I just have a few questions.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the rust? Just sand it down and use the rustoleum over it, or should I apply something over the rusted areas first?

And secondly, what is the easiest way to prep your car, or can I get some tips. I'm planning on picking up a small palm sander and using that for the larger parts (hood, roof, trunk, side...etc) and then for the corners and areas that contour just using my hand and the sand paper? And preferably what grits should I use to prep it with. Last...I know a lot of people say after they prep it they basically get it down to where it feels like glass, is that what I should be looking for?

The palm sander I'm talking about is something like this

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/mattthecommie/untitled.jpg

Let me know if theres anything better.

Thanks, Matt.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ #24569
06/06/06 10:48 AM
06/06/06 10:48 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I have a few questions before I get started. My friend just picked up an EF hatch, the car is in well good condition but the paint and body definately is not, so we are deciding to paint it this method (we want to do it to our main cars but don't wanna mess them up).

Now the car does have rust and we will have to prep it, I've read probably every page of this but I just have a few questions.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the rust? Just sand it down and use the rustoleum over it, or should I apply something over the rusted areas first?

And secondly, what is the easiest way to prep your car, or can I get some tips. I'm planning on picking up a small palm sander and using that for the larger parts (hood, roof, trunk, side...etc) and then for the corners and areas that contour just using my hand and the sand paper? And preferably what grits should I use to prep it with. Last...I know a lot of people say after they prep it they basically get it down to where it feels like glass, is that what I should be looking for?

Thanks, Matt.

this paint method is like any other, you prep the same regardless of what paint you use. don't take short-cuts repairing rust, or it'll be back quick. grind all rust out until you see clean bare metal, then grind a bit more, even though you can't see it, the metal is still oxcidzed, and will rust again. it's better to completely remove all rust and even use bondo or fiberglass if you have to and don't have a welder to put in new metal than to just sand the rust and paint alone. how you prep the car determines the end quality of the paint job, it's the most important step in painting.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24570
06/06/06 05:00 PM
06/06/06 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi charger, do u have a pic of what the can of clear paint looks like? so i get an idea of what i hve to get?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24571
06/06/06 05:02 PM
06/06/06 05:02 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Good luck finding that roll on clearcoat in California. Rustoleum doesn't make it so you'd need to get some from Canada unless someone else makes a roll on clear coat in the USA.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24572
06/06/06 05:51 PM
06/06/06 05:51 PM
Portland, OR
B
batjac Offline
batjac  Offline
B

Portland, OR
Well, the Rustoleum website doesn't offer Professional in clearcoat, but under the Stops Rust page it lists clear in quarts.

Would this be comparable?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: batjac] #24573
06/06/06 06:29 PM
06/06/06 06:29 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I looked around for it here in Sacramento, and online, and couldn't find it. Finally I called Rustoleum tech line and they said it was not available in anything but spray. I know the stops rust page says broadly that the stuff is available in spray, pints or quarts but that's not very specific and Rustoleum says they don't.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24574
06/06/06 06:39 PM
06/06/06 06:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, Matt.

this paint method is like any other, you prep the same regardless of what paint you use. don't take short-cuts repairing rust, or it'll be back quick. grind all rust out until you see clean bare metal, then grind a bit more, even though you can't see it, the metal is still oxcidzed, and will rust again. it's better to completely remove all rust and even use bondo or fiberglass if you have to and don't have a welder to put in new metal than to just sand the rust and paint alone. how you prep the car determines the end quality of the paint job, it's the most important step in painting.

When you say "grind" do you use any special tool, or just a low grit sand paper? Again, I've never painted a car or anything so I'm pretty new to most of this stuff and want to try my best the first time around.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ #24575
06/06/06 07:19 PM
06/06/06 07:19 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

When you say "grind" do you use any special tool, or just a low grit sand paper? Again, I've never painted a car or anything so I'm pretty new to most of this stuff and want to try my best the first time around.

weather u use a grinder, wire wheel, sand paper, it does'nt matter, just make sure you have clean metal with no rust, then grind/sand more.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24576
06/06/06 07:23 PM
06/06/06 07:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds good, thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24577
06/07/06 06:13 PM
06/07/06 06:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just thought I'd share this...

While I'm still getting through the last few coats that I'm painting on my cowl grill, I've decided to use a shortcut for places that are difficult to roll or a pain in the butt to sand.

For instance, door jams, the water catch undernear my rear hatch (280z), bottom side of the cowl panel, etc etc.

I've already done this to the bottom side of my cown panel because I didn't see the point in making it look 100%. Nobody is EVER going to see that except me. So what I did is find the same color in a spray can and spray it. I think I did 2 coats -- maybe 3 -- and it looks great. I could probably wet sand it and buff it, but for areas that don't get seen much, it is saving me time and looks just fine.

The water catch area underneath my rear hatch is partially going to be covered with new weather stripping once I put it back on. But don't mistake me, I'm still preping the area just as I would any other surface. That's a must. But this way those little areas get color easily.

Anyways, just thought I'd give a random tip.

Last edited by RedFive; 06/07/06 06:15 PM.
Page 6 of 159 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 158 159