Everywhere
L
Lost in life Offline
enthusiast
Lost in life  Offline
enthusiast
L

Everywhere
Tell you what kills the desire to finish a project more than anything else is to get into a project you don't have the skills or abilities to finish on your own. That means you have to kiss someone's rearend to get things done, their timeline,their desire to do it right,and yes getting it shoved up your butt when it is time to settle up. Don't ask me how I know this...

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: Lost in life] #2383493
10/07/17 05:32 PM
10/07/17 05:32 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted By Lost in life
Tell you what kills the desire to finish a project more than anything else is to get into a project you don't have the skills or abilities to finish on your own. That means you have to kiss someone's rearend to get things done, their timeline,their desire to do it right,and yes getting it shoved up your butt when it is time to settle up. Don't ask me how I know this...

I look at that as a learning opportunity. That's how/why I taught myself to weld and and paint.

I hate having to go to others to get work done. The only thing I had to outsource for my Cuda was the chrome plating and exhaust system (I can't bend pipe, and I don't like pre-fabbed systems).

But I didn't do any engine machining work.

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BradH] #2383498
10/07/17 05:45 PM
10/07/17 05:45 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Why is Project written in singular form? ... ...

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #2383520
10/07/17 06:37 PM
10/07/17 06:37 PM
ky hills
thehemikid Offline
top fuel
thehemikid  Offline
top fuel

ky hills
Yep, gets worse, multiplied by the number of cars, motorcycles, etc.

Then add to that, health, where the mind still can to some extent (debatable), but the body can't,.....hardly.

If I can do it physically, it may take me 5 times longer than it should or used to.

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BradH] #2383529
10/07/17 06:58 PM
10/07/17 06:58 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
It's so much worth the effort once you get it done.

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BradH] #2383534
10/07/17 07:16 PM
10/07/17 07:16 PM
Everywhere
L
Lost in life Offline
enthusiast
Lost in life  Offline
enthusiast
L

Everywhere
And from a practical point of view unless you are restoring a numbers car with intrinsic value,projects are a money pit with no bottom. And that money spent will be reduced to 25 cents on the dollar when one sells. So I guess a guy better really want the car just to have it! But Still better than playing golf....

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: 64hemi330sedan] #2383588
10/07/17 09:45 PM
10/07/17 09:45 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Online content
master
GY3  Online Content
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted By 64hemi330sedan
I like this post. the car shown below is the third car I have redone in my life. i have a thing for old racecars and want to save them.I cant tell you how many times I have said. god I hate this car In the last nine years. that's right I said nine years. just this last weekend i all but finished it. wooo! hooo!. no more big projects left. all that's left to do is mount the new slicks, install the front shocks, set up the four link and align the front end. i sat back and looked at it and feel i accomplished. have done the best i could with the skills and funds i have with many great friends help also. this car has a hard act to follow. my 65 coronet is a great car. now i can put it back on the street where i can enjoy it more. look out n/ss in 2018 here i come. i will try to get a updated picture soon.

Cool!

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: AndyF] #2384254
10/09/17 01:59 AM
10/09/17 01:59 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By BradH
Hey Brad, bring your car over to my shop and let me help you out. I have some room over to the right. With 3 Mopes in the same shop we'll be able to make some hay fly.

"You're killin' me, Smalls!"

Just trying to help! Bring the car on over. I'm a retired guy with time on my hands. I can twist wrenches on your car while your sitting in a cubical all day making PowerPoint slides.

Good lord, how many lives are lost to Powerpoint?

Great thread, I think we all need to hear that we're not alone in getting burned out, over out heads, not enough wallet... seems like I'm bouncing between those three zones all the time, but I try to do a little something almost every day. Some days, the something isn't much, like putting the tools in the work area away so the mess isn't so bad tomorrow. Other days, it's taking on that project that really needs to get done rather than skipping it to feel like the project is farther along. That has made a pretty long list of to-do's out of a pretty simple "gaskets & paint" freshen up of the engine bay.

Not as much done today as I liked - before literally wasting my life on PPT at the office, I spent a couple hours with my nephew replacing u-joints in his Phord 4x4. I like to think the good carma helping him will come back around one of these days...

Clair

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: AndyF] #2384307
10/09/17 09:45 AM
10/09/17 09:45 AM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Originally Posted By BradH
Hey Brad, bring your car over to my shop and let me help you out. I have some room over to the right. With 3 Mopes in the same shop we'll be able to make some hay fly.

"You're killin' me, Smalls!"

Just trying to help! Bring the car on over. I'm a retired guy with time on my hands. I can twist wrenches on your car while your sitting in a cubical all day making PowerPoint slides.

Sure, it's only 2812 miles to haul my junk to your place! laugh2

Re PowerPoint... not that much. My work usually involves things like systems interface analysis for integrating new appllications, reverse-engineering system requirements from poorly documented legacy code, working with business areas on what is involved to automate highly-manual proceeses often glued together with spreadsheets... stuff like that.

Last edited by BradH; 10/09/17 10:16 AM.
Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BradH] #2384445
10/09/17 02:04 PM
10/09/17 02:04 PM
Suffolk County, New York
1mean340 Offline
enthusiast
1mean340  Offline
enthusiast

Suffolk County, New York
I definitely did by mine for a while there. Looking back on it, with the car running now and just ironing out (hopefully) minor issues, I'm still not that happy with what it took out of me.

I literally spent just over a full year of my life, every weekend and vacation I had off from work wrenching on it sometimes as much as 12-14 hours a day. I felt like I had no life other than the car this past year and even with the excitement of getting it done it still feels like I wasted the last year of my life buried in the garage. The money is just money, you can always make more...it's the time that gets me. Luckily I had a great friend (540challenger) helping me out along the way and letting me use his lift or I probably would have went crazy lol

It actually made me want to ditch the twin turbo 96 Impala SS project that t I've been building for years and go to an LS3 GM crate engine. Sometimes you just can't put a price on being able to bolt stuff in like it's from the factory and not have to deal with custom building everything. I have fun performing the fab work on the larger components that really make the build unique, but when every little thing you install has to be modified or custom built to work it gets really old fast.

I HATE to say this, but I'm starting to see the appeal to late model cars. I remember when I first bought my Impala many years ago and all it took was a few bolt ons to make that EFI LT1 motor keep up with many new cars. I spent WAY more time driving it and NOT worrying about what will go wrong than I did working on it. Now you can buy many late model cars, bolt a supercharger on it in a couple of hours and run 10's. I'll never do it though because I just can't drive something everyone else has. LOL

Re: Anybody else get overwhelmed by your car project? [Re: BradH] #2384450
10/09/17 02:16 PM
10/09/17 02:16 PM
Suffolk County, New York
1mean340 Offline
enthusiast
1mean340  Offline
enthusiast

Suffolk County, New York
One other thing I learned is sometimes, to a degree, money CAN'T be an issue. I built my procharged small block 340 on a 'budget' because I couldn't afford to spend big money on R blocks, big blocks or a late model swap.

In the end, as usual, it ended up costing way more than I thought and now all the stuff I didn't want to spring for are huge limiting factors and sources of "uh oh, I hope I don't blow this up" worries. Now that it's close to done, I realize that my time would have felt much more worth it had I gone with an R block or a late model motor and I wouldn't be worrying half as much about accomplishing my power goals (or growing into bigger ones). Spending more money when you start a project seems like the end of the world, but when it's over you just think why didn't I spend more money and do it right from the start?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4