03/01/09 12:12 AM
03/01/09 12:12 AM
MARYLAND
69Cuda340S Offline
master
69Cuda340S  Offline
master

MARYLAND
For body color spray cans I use www.towerpaint.com. Did my engine compartment and inside of my trunk. Also did a tail gate on my pick up with their spray cans. So far the color has always been right on and great customer service.

5061061-Painted3.JPG (312 downloads)
Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: floorit426] #235999
03/01/09 10:52 AM
03/01/09 10:52 AM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
I was not happy with a couple of cans of argent paint I bought to try out. I got a light argent and a dark argent. Their dark argent wasn't even close to the dark argent on my grill. Theirs is more of a medium argent. Both cans clogged the tips up immediately and were a total PITA! I spent about $30 on these 2 crappy cans of paint. I will not buy anything more from that company ever! If you do, be sure they give you an extra dozen tips.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: 69Cuda340S] #236000
03/01/09 11:22 AM
03/01/09 11:22 AM
middle of the country
A
aar1 Offline
super stock
aar1  Offline
super stock
A

middle of the country
Quote:

and great customer service.

Wow............. must depend on the day?

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: aar1] #236001
03/01/09 12:19 PM
03/01/09 12:19 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Online content
master
LimeliteAero  Online Content
master
L

SE Pa.
Quote:

Quote:

and great customer service.

Wow............. must depend on the day?

do you have anything to offer? The more info the better.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: LimeliteAero] #236002
03/01/09 05:19 PM
03/01/09 05:19 PM
middle of the country
A
aar1 Offline
super stock
aar1  Offline
super stock
A

middle of the country
I just didn't have a good customer service experience with them. They didn't care about my complaint (air bottle bracket color was waaay off). The gal was just a bit arrogant and acted like I was taking up her valuable time. Dave never returned my calls or e-mails. This was a few years ago, so things might be different now. But for me, it's too late. Lots of other good venders out there that can have my money and be grateful to get it.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: aar1] #236003
03/01/09 07:05 PM
03/01/09 07:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I just didn't have a good customer service experience with them. They didn't care about my complaint (air bottle bracket color was waaay off). The gal was just a bit arrogant and acted like I was taking up her valuable time. Dave never returned my calls or e-mails. This was a few years ago, so things might be different now. But for me, it's too late. Lots of other good venders out there that can have my money and be grateful to get it.

My experience exactly. Also a few years ago. Never bought there again.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: ] #236004
03/13/09 01:20 PM
03/13/09 01:20 PM
USA
D
DaveFerro Offline
DaveFerro  Offline
D

USA
Hi fellow Mopar lovers,
My name is Dave Ferro, owner Totally Auto Inc. This thread was forwarded to me by an anonymous Moparts user who I wish to thank publicly.

When we started that new product over 20 years ago, we never thought there would be so many people loving it. In business, you ALWAYS hear the complaints but it's as rare as a Hemi 4-speed to actually receive a compliment. Well, I have enough hand written letters of praise to wallpaper a small office! And now in the era of the web, there has been so many more, I can't even keep track of them all. In fact, there are some very nice things posted, RIGHT NOW, on this very site. Again, THANK YOU to those folks, we really appreciate it!

I must explain, again, the paint we sell is NOT, store bought spray paint! That's the crap the other guys sell. Ours is actual PPG AUTOMOTIVE PAINT, that we mix to our specifications, only after years of research and sampling of ORIGINAL cars. It is difficult to get it to come out of a can but we did the work to make it as best as possible for you guys who don't have specialized painting equipment at home. If I don't have a real sample, we don't sell it. Many of the "codes" listed in books are "offsets" used for collision shops over the years to get cars "close" for production work. WE DON'T DO PRODUCTION WORK. As far as the body colors, PLEASE remember what we are dealing with here. We don't know which offset your painter used, or if he even matched an original color. We can't guarantee our paint is a perfect match for what every painter across the country uses on whatever car. Until we feel it is right, we don't offer it. Again, that is why we only offer so very few of the BODY COLORS.

Sure, sometimes a tip clogs. Sometimes it is because we are too lazy to clean it after use and of course, we do get an occasional bad can, bad nozzle, someone who forgot to shake well, etc. That happens, and when it happens to a customer, WE ALWAYS SEND THEM ANOTHER CAN, OR NEW NOZZLE! That is our policy. There is a lot of paint going out of here and YES sometimes we do have a bad batch. There is simply no way of us "TESTING" each and every can for texture, gloss etc. without actually using EVERY can and then we would be offering "used" product. Again, this is tricky, putting automotive paint in a can! Surely you can understand why we would need to see the bad can.

I asked everyone who answers our phones and nobody here has taken many complaints about our paints, other than what I listed above. I answer all emails personally and frankly, I get more praise than complaints. So, I am forced to draw my own conclusions. Is there someone selling paint and saying it is from us? That JUST happened two-weeks ago at a show in OHIO. WE WERE NOT THERE! A guy bought bogus paint with OUR name on it. He wanted to return it to us but did not have a receipt or name of who he got it from. Could this be why I have I not heard from those posting here. I would gladly handle each of these situations on an individual basis. My email address is totallyauto@aol.com Of the ways for us to become aware of a problem, the most important to us is customer feedback. Feel free to email, attention to me.

I will not do it here. THIS PLACE JUST GETS TOO NUTZ SOMETIMES, lol

Recently, I have been working on updating our paints to newer, latest-greatest products. The main problem has been price. (Both our cost and the eventual selling price). It will cost approximately double per can. Previously, I did not feel the benefits warranted the higher price. We did consider offering two levels of product but reconsidered based on logistics. Basically, as we stand, if we hear about a bad can, we replace it, if you get a bad nozzle we send you a new one, (two are included with each can). The fact is, for us to stay in business, we need to get the bad part back and for several reasons. Some cans are warranted by our supplier and second, many simply work with just a new nozzle and we can go ahead and use it in the shop. This all keeps the cost down for our customers.

With all that said, I have already made the decision to go ahead and reformulate and use a newer style product that, I am told will work even better but at the cost of a considerably higher price. This transformation is taking time. We finished with the Argents, Satin, etc. and should have R+D on others soon. At this time we have held the price and are doing so as long as possible. Soon, we have to settle on a new selling price. So, I guess I should sit back a wait for the thread complaining about the price increase, lol, go figure.

On the note regarding counter people, it is a paradox, pay the price for someone who can answer every question; the product price goes up, try just someone to answer the phone, (as opposed to a machine like many companies) and people get upset. Have me on the phone; no cars get built. Get someone in the middle and...well, that's what you got. Anyone who thinks they can do the job better, send an application! Seriously, we need a counterman.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. We really strive to help this hobby with quality, time tested products. This year we will be celebrating 23 years doing nothing but Mopars and we could not have done it without ALL of your support!
Thanks again, Dave Ferro
Totally Auto Inc.

Dave Ferro Totally Auto Inc. www.totallyautoinc.com 215 322 2277
Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: aar1] #236005
03/13/09 01:24 PM
03/13/09 01:24 PM
USA
D
DaveFerro Offline
DaveFerro  Offline
D

USA
Quote:

I used some of there air bottle bracket paint about 8 years ago. Color was waaaaay off. They never responded to my concerns so now I go elsewhere when possible.

PS. We do not offer that color. sorry

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: DaveFerro] #236006
03/13/09 02:08 PM
03/13/09 02:08 PM
middle of the country
A
aar1 Offline
super stock
aar1  Offline
super stock
A

middle of the country
Quote:

Quote:

I used some of there air bottle bracket paint about 8 years ago. Color was waaaaay off. They never responded to my concerns so now I go elsewhere when possible.

PS. We do not offer that color. sorry

You used to sell what you said was that color, and it wasn't. I still have the can with the label on it. Says air bottle bracket turquoise. It looked like standard ford motor turquoise or something......... That is why I complained to the gal on the phone (Barb?) and I DID send you an e-mail which NEVER got answered. Like I said earlier, this was years ago (2001) so maybe things are better now. Also, for the record, I HAVE used your light argent paint (4 years ago) on 1970 Rallye wheel center caps and was mostly pleased with the result. The clogging nozzles are a problem sometimes, but you sent extras. I think the silver color is a tad too light compared to originals but all in all they turned out nice.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: aar1] #236007
03/19/09 01:43 PM
03/19/09 01:43 PM
Warren, Michigan
70_challenger Offline
70_challenger  Offline

Warren, Michigan
The original poster did not indicate what exact type of paint he was inquiring about. I have used Totally Auto's engine paints on my 440. I can say that the color is the most 'correct' orange I have ever seen, and has the perfect gloss level. If you follow the directions, it lays on really nicely - I used about 4 very light, even coats. It is drippy and pours out of the can past the spray nozzle, so you have to be careful when using it (Don't ask me how I know that).

I cannot comment on their body color paints, but the engine paint is very nice.

-Tom

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: 70_challenger] #236008
03/21/09 08:41 AM
03/21/09 08:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I bought four cans of their paint a year ago.I threw money away. I bought it because I wanted the best paint for restoring a grille. The satin black was recommended for a 69 charger grille by salesperson. The paint is worse than wal-mart 1.99 stuff. The surface was prepped properly and the paint will scratch off easily. The color is also blotchy and looks horrible. The argent silver has 10x more metallic than the factory finish for the charger grille. It was horrible. I spent almost $60 for this junk paint and I never used it.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint #236009
03/21/09 09:13 AM
03/21/09 09:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i got a email from Dave Ferro and it was a email i thought was going to be a positive one but once again i was disappointed by his email.
the problem was not resolved and i only needed a little more to finish off the rear tailight bezels on my 69 roadrunner.
he wants the old can back and i threw it away after getting no response from him since the 2 emails to him but after this post i figured i try and contact them once again.
he admitted that the problem was a bad seal on the can.
how can people actually stay in business with this customer service?
im just hoping i can find someone who has a little left over to finish my bezels since i will never purchase anything from totally auto again.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint #236010
03/21/09 02:59 PM
03/21/09 02:59 PM
Chicago, IL
M
Moparman440 Offline
enthusiast
Moparman440  Offline
enthusiast
M

Chicago, IL
Quote:

someone who has a little left over to finish my bezels since i will never purchase anything from totally auto again.

What's the finish on the 69 ? I have a bunch of cans and half cans. I'll be glad to help out another Moparts memember. If you want PM me the color and your address.

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: Moparman440] #236011
03/21/09 11:17 PM
03/21/09 11:17 PM
KY USA
E
E-Body Products Offline
enthusiast
E-Body Products  Offline
enthusiast
E

KY USA
Had great luck with my 70 cuda grille using the Totally Auto Paint. See the pics...

Thanks Dave...

Daniel
www.ebodyproducts.com

5109884-CudaGrille.JPG (316 downloads)
Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: E-Body Products] #236012
03/21/09 11:21 PM
03/21/09 11:21 PM
KY USA
E
E-Body Products Offline
enthusiast
E-Body Products  Offline
enthusiast
E

KY USA
Here is another picture...

5109893-CudaGrille3.JPG (377 downloads)
Re: Totally Auto's Paint #236013
03/25/09 10:52 AM
03/25/09 10:52 AM
USA
D
DaveFerro Offline
DaveFerro  Offline
D

USA
Not sure who SUPERSTOCKRACER is but I only got ONE email with a complaint and I sent that guy a new can, once he provided me with an address.
All the rest was complimentary, and to ALL OF THOSE, I personally thank you.
THANKS AGAIN, Dave Ferro
totallyauto@aol.com

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: DaveFerro] #236014
03/25/09 12:00 PM
03/25/09 12:00 PM
The New Jersey Hinterlands
Sssnake383 Offline
Old and boring
Sssnake383  Offline
Old and boring

The New Jersey Hinterlands
Dave, do you make Y2 Sunfire Yellow available in your spray cans?

Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: DaveFerro] #236015
03/25/09 02:44 PM
03/25/09 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Not sure who SUPERSTOCKRACER is but I only got ONE email with a complaint and I sent that guy a new can, once he provided me with an address.
All the rest was complimentary, and to ALL OF THOSE, I personally thank you.
THANKS AGAIN, Dave Ferro
totallyauto@aol.com

dave, thanks again for your professionalism, i was very frustrated with the can going bad fast but Dave did the right thing and he showed me something about customer service, so i will continue to do business with totally auto, and will recommend to all that need paint and other nuts and bolts and parts. thanks for your help.

Last edited by SUPERSTOCKRACER; 03/25/09 02:46 PM.
Re: Totally Auto's Paint [Re: Sssnake383] #236016
03/30/09 03:35 PM
03/30/09 03:35 PM
USA
D
DaveFerro Offline
DaveFerro  Offline
D

USA
No I'm sorry we do NOT make that color as of yet. We simply have no known-to-be-correct sample yet. Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2