05/17/17 12:44 PM
05/17/17 12:44 PM
Covington Georgia
RV2 Offline OP
master
RV2  Offline OP
master

Covington Georgia
Can anybody recommend a reputable business that correctly restores 3 speed wiper motors?
Thanks

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306027
05/17/17 12:58 PM
05/17/17 12:58 PM
WA
J
jbojo Offline
jbojo  Offline
J

WA
Stephan does good work, You can see some exaples of his work here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2013296

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306075
05/17/17 02:10 PM
05/17/17 02:10 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I've had three done. One by Jules. One by concourse creation( Jerry Smitch) I think that his name. The last I had Bill Merholz do. I think it is the most correct. It is not shinny like the rest. Most polish the barrel on the motor to get it real smooth so the cad plating looks shinny. That takes the detail from the barrel and almost polishes away the numbers. Bill communicates very well and will send you pictures of your motor. He is the most expensive but it is the most correct. I can post some picture later if you want.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: jbojo] #2306087
05/17/17 02:21 PM
05/17/17 02:21 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By jbojo
Stephan does good work, You can see some exaples of his work here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2013296

He took over for Jules and I am very happy with the quality he supplied.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: fastmark] #2306137
05/17/17 03:43 PM
05/17/17 03:43 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted By fastmark
I've had three done. One by Jules. One by concourse creation( Jerry Smitch) I think that his name. The last I had Bill Merholz do. I think it is the most correct. It is not shinny like the rest. Most polish the barrel on the motor to get it real smooth so the cad plating looks shinny. That takes the detail from the barrel and almost polishes away the numbers. Bill communicates very well and will send you pictures of your motor. He is the most expensive but it is the most correct. I can post some picture later if you want.
I didn't know dings on the wiper housing was correct. I talked to Bill and was asking him about restoring mine but he insisted I take a date coded wiper motor already done that had a ding in it. Why would I trade my dentless wiper motor in for one that has a dent lol?Why would you even restore one like that and try to pass it on to somebody??? Needless to say Stephan did mine and it was flawless and I can't think of anyone else who I would send one to. He also did my Headlight motor, it was also sweet!

Last edited by 70RT Charger; 05/17/17 04:55 PM.
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: 70RT Charger] #2306188
05/17/17 05:28 PM
05/17/17 05:28 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Originally Posted By 70RT Charger
I didn't know dings on the wiper housing was correct. I talked to Bill and was asking him about restoring mine but he insisted I take a date coded wiper motor already done that had a ding in it. Why would I trade my dentless wiper motor in for one that has a dent lol?Why would you even restore one like that and try to pass it on to somebody??? Needless to say Stephan did mine and it was flawless and I can't think of anyone else who I would send one to. He also did my Headlight motor, it was also sweet!

I understand completely. He sent me a picture of one that had a ding on it and it was very dull. He wanted to sell it to me and take mine in trade. I passed as well. I sent mine in and he plated it with a slight brightness to it. It did not remove the detail on the part numbers. After I got mine back, I compaired the two. On his you can clearly see the deep stamping of the part numbers and date codes. The other two I have are smooth, shinny and you can barely see the part number. All of my other original core motors are stamped very deep. All I'm saying is that shinny-like-a-diamond-in-goats-butt is not an OEM finish.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: fastmark] #2306346
05/17/17 10:17 PM
05/17/17 10:17 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted By 70RT Charger

I understand completely. He sent me a picture of one that had a ding on it and it was very dull. He wanted to sell it to me and take mine in trade. I passed as well. I sent mine in and he plated it with a slight brightness to it. It did not remove the detail on the part numbers. After I got mine back, I compaired the two. On his you can clearly see the deep stamping of the part numbers and date codes. The other two I have are smooth, shinny and you can barely see the part number. All of my other original core motors are stamped very deep. All I'm saying is that shinny-like-a-diamond-in-goats-butt is not an OEM finish.
You can go to Stephans very last page and I post a picture of it you'll have to download it and you can clearly see the deep stamping in mine also. I can't speak for the others but Stephan did an excellent job. Bill may do good work but the fact he tried to sell me that dented one turned me off from him. Now if he wanted to knock off say a hundred bucks and sell it for a driver that would be just fine.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: fastmark] #2306347
05/17/17 10:21 PM
05/17/17 10:21 PM
New Jersey
bmcuda Offline
bmcuda  Offline

New Jersey
LET'S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT HERE. I don't insist anyone to take one of my done motors. It is only is suggestion if one does not want to wait the extra time to have his or here done. and yes some of the done units may have some dings form getting banged around when removed or even in assembly line parts bins. They were not in separate boxes on the assembly line. some may have pits but we don't polish to remove them as if done thins out the part #'s as fastmark says.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306364
05/17/17 10:47 PM
05/17/17 10:47 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Well just offering his motor in exchange did not turn me off. He sent me pictures and I decided that I would rather have my original one. Bill communicates very well and sends pictures of your stuff torn apart so you can see the condition. I was pleased and so was my customer. The main reason I did not send my three core motors to SF in Canada was because of the customs crap. If you place a correct value on your parts, they may consider you are lying to them and are actually selling the parts. So they charge taxes to the recipient in Canada, who in turn charges you back. If you value them for 30 bucks and they get lost, you are SOL and just lost your date coded cores for $30. I liked Bill's work and now that I know the difference, his work is more CORRECT. That is what the OP asked in the first place.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: 70RT Charger] #2306395
05/17/17 11:43 PM
05/17/17 11:43 PM
Canada
ACR2000 Offline
enthusiast
ACR2000  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
I remember that Jules and I often talk about what should be the correct finish on the barrel. The fact is we have seen both finish ,dull and shiny. Jules had found a NOS 077 motor and it was definitely shinny. ( see pic ) Dull finishes were also common.

3431077 nos2.jpg3431077 nos.jpg
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: ACR2000] #2306399
05/17/17 11:52 PM
05/17/17 11:52 PM
ontario calif
N
ns1aar Offline
super stock
ns1aar  Offline
super stock
N

ontario calif
Check the inside of an NOS dull motor and it will most likely be shiney

NS1AAR
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306401
05/17/17 11:56 PM
05/17/17 11:56 PM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline
top fuel
D

St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
I was happy with the wiper motor I got from Kim at passion for mopars. She did a nice job on it. I think I actually got an exchange motor but that was fine with me, our car is not original (tunnel ram sticking through the bonnet, nothing numbers matching). If I had wanted our original motor to be restored she would have done that but the off the shelf option in our case worked best. The wiper motor works great and it is nice to have the park feature working again.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: ns1aar] #2306403
05/18/17 12:09 AM
05/18/17 12:09 AM
Canada
ACR2000 Offline
enthusiast
ACR2000  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
Originally Posted By ns1aar

Yes that is right Bruce thumbs

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306562
05/18/17 09:33 AM
05/18/17 09:33 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
If the above wiper motor came out of that box, then why are the dates codes on the motor and box different? The wiper motor I had restored by Bill looks more like that one than the two I have had restored at other places. They are so shinny, that they glow. The biggest difference I see in my restored motors from my OEM and the ones Bill did is that the numbers are very shallow. Especially the numbers in the middle. They are almost polished flush. I'll try to post my pictures but I may not have time today and I'm going out of town for the weekend. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, just pointing out some things I have observed in the work I have had done.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: fastmark] #2306860
05/18/17 05:11 PM
05/18/17 05:11 PM
Canada
ACR2000 Offline
enthusiast
ACR2000  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
If the above wiper motor came out of that box, then why are the dates codes on the motor and box different? The wiper motor I had restored by Bill looks more like that one than the two I have had restored at other places. They are so shinny, that they glow. The biggest difference I see in my restored motors from my OEM and the ones Bill did is that the numbers are very shallow. Especially the numbers in the middle. They are almost polished flush. I'll try to post my pictures but I may not have time today and I'm going out of town for the weekend. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, just pointing out some things I have observed in the work I have had done.

You are right Fastmark, about 40 day's later...One thing is certain, that motor came in that box and was nos. This would not be the first time that Chrysler messed up. Regarding the number being not as sharp in the middle, Many are originally like that in fact the tool used back then seems to make the numbers at each end more deep and crisp than the one in the middle. So if the barrel needs to be polish and most likely they will, obviously the number will become less crisp and deep specially in the middle , unless the client is willing to live with the pits and scratches. Over the year I have seen hundred of wiper motor and for sure some have crisper font than other so that also play a role.

20170518_144350.jpg20170518_144434.jpg
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2306926
05/18/17 06:59 PM
05/18/17 06:59 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
The depth on the outer numbers is deeper on all my core motors for sure. I would bet you have to be real easy on the sanding on some motors in order to not sand off the middle numbers . One thing for sure, the wiper motor is not the only thing we over restore when do these cars. I'd still rather have the motors slightly more on the shinny side than the super dull finish of a car that is shows its age.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: fastmark] #2307032
05/18/17 10:10 PM
05/18/17 10:10 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore

you are not the only one who notices all of those things and more..
i have a few motors that are in really nice clean shape
and i shudder to think about sending them out
and turning them into a shiny turd...

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: ns1aar] #2307926
05/20/17 01:44 PM
05/20/17 01:44 PM
ontario calif
N
ns1aar Offline
super stock
ns1aar  Offline
super stock
N

ontario calif
Originally Posted By ns1aar

Sorry I was busy that day and didn't get to finish my comment.

If its shiny on the inside what would cause it to be dull on the outside. A cardboard box does not protect it from all the elements were as the inside is encased in metal providing more protection for the original plating. If you can find one of the factory replacement motors with the part number sticker on it remove it and its most likely shiny. So far I have not been able to find anybody with a pic of an "in the day" wiper motor. So with out documentation from the past it is very hard to judge exactly what is correct. As far as the numbers I have cores with very light stampings date codes 0111 and 2220 are usually very light. There are many variances to this and ultimately its up the individuals choice.

NS1AAR
Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: RV2] #2308284
05/21/17 01:11 AM
05/21/17 01:11 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
I'd be interested to see the finish on the inside of a well preserved motor, but don't believe it would have ever matched completely with the outside due to shielding from the current during the plating process When parts are plated the inside surface will almost always be less bright that the exterior. The way to try and avoid this would be to use a conforming anode, more costly and time consuming, a method I highly doubt Chrysler would have imposed as a requirement.

As for brightness, there are several factors that play into this, as someone pointed out, the quality of the substraight prior to plating plays a factor and since these were new at the time of build I suspect the finish pretty nice but certainly not polished to remove small imperfections in the surface.

Another factor affecting surface finish is the use of brightens within the plating bath. Brighteners act as a leveler to the material being deposited, the smoother the deposit the more shine to the finished product. Brighteners are not all created equal, some performing better than others and the amount used (and maintained) in the bath plays a factor as well.

While I too have my own opinion of level of correctness I can say theres a scale or range that should be considered plausible as I'm sure that if able to inspect a few original motors done in the day, variation could be seen.

Re: Wiper motor resto? [Re: AAR#2] #2308302
05/21/17 01:38 AM
05/21/17 01:38 AM
Canada
ACR2000 Offline
enthusiast
ACR2000  Offline
enthusiast

Canada
Originally Posted By AAR#2
I'd be interested to see the finish on the inside of a well preserved motor, but don't believe it would have ever matched completely with the outside due to shielding from the current during the plating process When parts are plated the inside surface will almost always be less bright that the exterior. The way to try and avoid this would be to use a conforming anode, more costly and time consuming, a method I highly doubt Chrysler would have imposed as a requirement.

As for brightness, there are several factors that play into this, as someone pointed out, the quality of the substraight prior to plating plays a factor and since these were new at the time of build I suspect the finish pretty nice but certainly not polished to remove small imperfections in the surface.

Another factor affecting surface finish is the use of brightens within the plating bath. Brighteners act as a leveler to the material being deposited, the smoother the deposit the more shine to the finished product. Brighteners are not all created equal, some performing better than others and the amount used (and maintained) in the bath plays a factor as well.

While I too have my own opinion of level of correctness I can say theres a scale or range that should be considered plausible as I'm sure that if able to inspect a few original motors done in the day, variation could be seen.

iagree

Last edited by ACR2000; 05/21/17 01:41 AM.