01/24/17 01:31 AM
01/24/17 01:31 AM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
I have 2 cars with the Sandens and they run all the time. I've got the cycle switch on the Fury but it never turns it off. I didn't not have the evap apart (had replaced that a few years prior) so I wrapped the sensor around the pipe and put the goo over it as Bouchillon suggests. It gets pretty cold, but if the car has sat out in the sun or I encounter a lot of stop and go traffic it fades. Keep in mind that's with all the heat of a twin turbo set up under the hood.

Classic air on my Charger and for whatever reason that system blows COLD! Also a triple black car, but only Chicago. It works better than the Fury for whatever reason. Both cars had all new parts.

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2240437
01/24/17 03:03 PM
01/24/17 03:03 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
I've just ordered a 709 compressor to mock up with our kit. will be here at the end of January. will know if there are any fitment issues then.

also what is the part number of the nippendenso alternator that andyf recommends? I can get one of those as well and mock it up so we know what fits and what mods are needed.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2240914
01/25/17 10:42 AM
01/25/17 10:42 AM
Greer, SC
TooMany62s Offline
top fuel
TooMany62s  Offline
top fuel

Greer, SC
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the serpentine systems on the front of B and RB motors look like an awful lot of "stuff" hanging off the front of the motor. Is there an advantage other than bling?

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2240916
01/25/17 10:51 AM
01/25/17 10:51 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I think you have to recognize there are 2 different types of conversion.
The one pictured just uses serpentine belts. But is a multi belt conversion.
Jerry's uses a single belt like the modern motors do.

The main reason for either is the dual belt a/c systems have issues today, finding 2 belts the same size, where one doesn't flap around while the other is already tight. Less slip etc..

Jerry's has the advantage of a single belt running it all. Not having to pull 2 belts to get to the one you want to change etc..

Of course the standard argument applys. isn't more belts better because even if you lose one, you could still be running with 1 belt etc..

I have always prefered the 1 belt and 1 spare from the last change anyway. now instead of a pile of them in the trunk I only need 1.

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2240959
01/25/17 12:05 PM
01/25/17 12:05 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
our kit also uses a spring loaded tensioner and modern more compact and lighter weight components. we have a 120 amp alternator option comes off a dodge magnum truck engine. zf style power steering pump that just about all modern cars are using. sanden ac compressor mounted mounted in various locations to fit your application.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: TooMany62s] #2241020
01/25/17 02:32 PM
01/25/17 02:32 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By TooMany62s
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the serpentine systems on the front of B and RB motors look like an awful lot of "stuff" hanging off the front of the motor. Is there an advantage other than bling?

Yes, there is a FUNCTION to it. My Imperial is being built for reliability, looks be damned.

In years past it was possible to find drive belts in matched pairs. That was necessary for AC and alternator function. Matched belts are now a thing of the past. Most parts stores and employees have never heard of such a thing. In fact, our OReilly's commercial sales rep stopped by on Monday and I mentioned the belts. He was completely lost and had no knowledge of them at all.

I showed him the matched pair I ordered from Mercedes for the 79 450SL we have in the shop and had to explain the problem.

The factory belt routing on the Imperial has a twin belt unsupported run of about two feet between the compressor and alternator. I was unable to find matched belts during the build and did the best I could with what was available.
I threw those belts twice on the Power Tour.

This car WILL be reliable. It will have readily available components where possible. I want to have a worry free trip anywhere I go on the North American continent.

Unlike the vast majority of people here, my car is intended to be driven. Anywhere. Anytime. Any weather. I'll drive it in my heavy commute to work and I'll drive it across the country. In fact, one of my planned trips has rubber on the road in Nova Scotia despite the fact that I live in Dallas, Texas.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: Jerry] #2241179
01/25/17 07:17 PM
01/25/17 07:17 PM
Tucson, AZ
C
cruzin Offline
super stock
cruzin  Offline
super stock
C

Tucson, AZ
Jerry,

I run a Nippondenso (round plug) alternator for the last 15 years on a low deck. This is what Andy first suggested. The alternator was from the early Toyota 4 Runners.

I'm interested in putting my AC back on however, my car is also non-power steering. Do you offer a low deck configuration that doesn't include power steering?

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2241183
01/25/17 07:24 PM
01/25/17 07:24 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
yes we do.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: Jerry] #2241548
01/26/17 12:02 PM
01/26/17 12:02 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
if pulley diameter ratio remains the same, can smaller diameter pulleys be used ?
beer

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2241560
01/26/17 12:13 PM
01/26/17 12:13 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
you could overdrive the compressor, but then you limit its life expectancy. and your over driving the other accessories too. may or may not be a big deal but it may at 6000+ rpm, eventually the bearings will reach a critical speed.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: Jerry] #2241676
01/26/17 03:14 PM
01/26/17 03:14 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Originally Posted By Jerry
you could overdrive the compressor, but then you limit its life expectancy. and your over driving the other accessories too. may or may not be a big deal but it may at 6000+ rpm, eventually the bearings will reach a critical speed.

That was my concern. I wanted to know if the ratio was the same as factory.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2241685
01/26/17 03:27 PM
01/26/17 03:27 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
our ratio is the same as factory. we didn't under drive or overdrive the accessories. that way all the countless hours of durability testing done by the oems are what we repackage and sell for the classic car market.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: Jerry] #2241706
01/26/17 04:03 PM
01/26/17 04:03 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
I looked at my alternator last night, it appears it will work with your setup. I will be calling you in a few weeks to order up a kit. I also have an aftermarket a/c kit, so I have to research to see what compressor I have. I would need to get your power steering pump, I have a trw now.

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2241717
01/26/17 04:18 PM
01/26/17 04:18 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
all of our parts come off stock cars. the power steering pump we use comes from a mid to late nineties jeep Cherokee or grand Cherokee. a lot of newer cars use the zf pump as well. there are lots of different reservoir options.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2242222
01/27/17 12:58 PM
01/27/17 12:58 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
On the alternators, you may have to remove a little material on the two lower screw bosses in the unit so that it clears the mount. Too many variances for Jerry to compensate for especially if you get a chinese unit like I did from RockAuto. If you get a legit Nippondenso oe unit it will probably be a non issue, but still check just to make sure. I really like how his looks and that replacement service units are readily available. Well worth the money and less blingy than the others out there. Anybody read a Hot Rod magazine from a few months ago showing a 66-7 b-body with a hemi that Rad Rides by Troy did? They used a Billet Specialties unit that had a part fail on a photo shoot road trip and could only source it from BS. Not cool. My neighbor has run BS stuff in the past on his rods and said thats a known failure issue with the idlers and can only be had through the company. Not helpful or fun on sunday if you are cruising where there are no BS distributors around.

Carl Kessel
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2243844
01/30/17 08:02 AM
01/30/17 08:02 AM
Brisvegas, Australia
A
Alchemi Offline
enthusiast
Alchemi  Offline
enthusiast
A

Brisvegas, Australia
The sanden's are rated at 8.4 & 9.5 cubic inches displacement per rpm respectively and the rv2 is rated at 10 to 12 ci (varying reports), barely better on the cooling front but i have no doubt is no where as efficient hp wise as the newer design of the sanden units

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2243855
01/30/17 09:51 AM
01/30/17 09:51 AM
Greer, SC
TooMany62s Offline
top fuel
TooMany62s  Offline
top fuel

Greer, SC
Originally Posted By feets

Yes, there is a FUNCTION to it. My Imperial is being built for reliability, looks be damned.

In years past it was possible to find drive belts in matched pairs. That was necessary for AC and alternator function. Matched belts are now a thing of the past. Most parts stores and employees have never heard of such a thing. In fact, our OReilly's commercial sales rep stopped by on Monday and I mentioned the belts. He was completely lost and had no knowledge of them at all.

I showed him the matched pair I ordered from Mercedes for the 79 450SL we have in the shop and had to explain the problem.

The factory belt routing on the Imperial has a twin belt unsupported run of about two feet between the compressor and alternator. I was unable to find matched belts during the build and did the best I could with what was available.
I threw those belts twice on the Power Tour.

This car WILL be reliable. It will have readily available components where possible. I want to have a worry free trip anywhere I go on the North American continent.

Unlike the vast majority of people here, my car is intended to be driven. Anywhere. Anytime. Any weather. I'll drive it in my heavy commute to work and I'll drive it across the country. In fact, one of my planned trips has rubber on the road in Nova Scotia despite the fact that I live in Dallas, Texas.

Take this for what it's worth, I have an engineer friend that works for Gates. He told me that as a result of modern manufacturing techniques and process controls virtually all belts of the same part number are "matched". With the exception of an alternator locking up I've never actually had a belt fail.

Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: TooMany62s] #2243878
01/30/17 11:58 AM
01/30/17 11:58 AM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
while that maybe true about the gates belts. i'm sure there are some tolerances that belts fall within. now i'm not a belt engineer but I would think the rubber may have different shrink rates etc. last time I ran v belts was almost 20 years ago and maybe the tolerances are better now.

on another note, if v belts were great, the oems would still run them. you can transmit more power with a serpentine belt with less tension and less load on your bearings, less parasitic loss due to friction, and ultimately I think the serpentine belt will last longer.

these new style belts have undergone lots of hours of durability testing thanks to the oems and their search for efficiency.

I just got the 700 series compressor in and will get a comparison put up later this afternoon after I had a chance to measure it and compare it the 508 series.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: feets] #2243904
01/30/17 12:49 PM
01/30/17 12:49 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
The amount of cars still on the road today, that require matched belts, have decreased considerably. With this taken into account, there is less demand for matched sets of belts which translates to parts stock which has low to no turnover which can mean no more matched sets. Parts being stocked are like having employees. If the employee makes you money you keep them around, if they don't make you money they get booted.Unless you are talking about certain federal employees then its the other way around. There may be some companies around that have matched sets, you will just need to hunt them down. Gates had a coding system which if you could decipher it would let you know if the belts were from the same run/drum so you could get a matched set without having them taped together. I've been away from them for too long so I don't remember how to decipher the code. Also its beneficial to make sure all the accessories line up in the same plane when running v-belts. If you look at them from the side, you will see that various units are skewed which contributes to belt squeal, belts being tossed etc.

Carl Kessel
Re: B/RB serpentine belt conversion [Re: TooMany62s] #2243959
01/30/17 02:29 PM
01/30/17 02:29 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Take this for what it's worth, I have an engineer friend that works for Gates. He told me that as a result of modern manufacturing techniques and process controls virtually all belts of the same part number are "matched". With the exception of an alternator locking up I've never actually had a belt fail.

Get together with your buddy and smack him upside the head for buying into engineered arrogance.

I threw a pair of Gates belts on the Power Tour.
I threw a SECOND pair of Gates belts on the Power Tour.

My pulleys are in alignment. Tension is set properly. Engine accessories are not angled.
I put the belts on and you can watch one flop more than the other.

Both times I threw the belts it came after releasing the throttle at high rpm.

The belts are not a perfect equal length. Either the width or the length is varying by just enough to prevent equal loading.

- Stu Harmon
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3