01/12/17 06:48 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By madscientist
I run a PCV and pan evacs. Before I bought my muffs I spent some time on the phone with them. They said as long as the pan evac is after the muff it will work. That's how I did it. The engine is sealed, the PCV pulls at idle and cruise, the PCV and pan evac at cruise and wide open.

Yes you can put the evac in AFTER the muffs so you
dont have the back pressure.. most dont like to run
that much heater hose to the back.. but some do
wave

Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2233019
01/12/17 06:58 PM
01/12/17 06:58 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
I run a PCV and pan evacs. Before I bought my muffs I spent some time on the phone with them. They said as long as the pan evac is after the muff it will work. That's how I did it. The engine is sealed, the PCV pulls at idle and cruise, the PCV and pan evac at cruise and wide open.

Yes you can put the evac in AFTER the muffs so you
dont have the back pressure.. most dont like to run
that much heater hose to the back.. but some do
wave

True. My muffs are short, so the hoses ar not extraordinarily long.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: madscientist] #2233035
01/12/17 07:13 PM
01/12/17 07:13 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I put my muffs at the back bumper to control
the DB level so I wouldnt run that much 3/4
hose.. I just run breathers with good baffles
so I dont have any oil coming out of them
wave

Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2233121
01/12/17 09:58 PM
01/12/17 09:58 PM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Well, Here's my input, for what it's worth..I have a street/strip car. I race, maybe 6-7 times a year. I also run a PCV valve and Evac system. The Evac system will pull 5 hg at higher rpm and of course the PCV will pull at idle and just above. The secret is the mufflers. You have to run straight threw type muffler like, MagnaFlow, Dynomax, etc. Flowmasters don't work........You need a muffler that doesn't have or create back pressure. Any "mousetrap" type muffler creates too much back pressure. The down side is that most straight threw mufflers are a little louder...

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight
Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: Juicedrinker] #2233301
01/13/17 02:19 AM
01/13/17 02:19 AM
Bellevue, NE
C
Charger453 Offline
super stock
Charger453  Offline
super stock
C

Bellevue, NE
I had oil leaks after WOT pulls on my 499" low deck. After adding a crankcase evac system, the leaks are gone. This is with a 3 1/2" x-pipe system with Magnaflow race mufflers. It was well worth $50.

Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: Juicedrinker] #2233370
01/13/17 05:55 AM
01/13/17 05:55 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
My car is mostly a street car as I have only been able to race about once a year the last 4 or 5 years. I run a PCV valve setup and on the drivers breather I just run the hose down under the car and put it in a hole on the unibody frame in case it spit any oil. But it lets it pull a vacum through so the PCV valve works fine and even when I race it does not spit out or get any oil at the end of the hose. I figured what I can do when I go racing is just pull the PCV valve and plug the hose and run a breather on the pass side like I use on the drivers side since at wide open throttle the PCV valve wont work and is closed at WOT. So I just run two breathers to race and hook the PCV valve back up when done before I drive out of the track. Them breathers with the nipple have a baffle in them and work nice as not to spit oil on the valve covers when racing like open bottom breathers do. And these valve covers I use have a baffle under the breather/PCV hole in the valve covers. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 01/13/17 05:58 AM.
Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: 383man] #2233476
01/13/17 01:41 PM
01/13/17 01:41 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By 383man
My car is mostly a street car as I have only been able to race about once a year the last 4 or 5 years. I run a PCV valve setup and on the drivers breather I just run the hose down under the car and put it in a hole on the unibody frame in case it spit any oil. But it lets it pull a vacum through so the PCV valve works fine and even when I race it does not spit out or get any oil at the end of the hose. I figured what I can do when I go racing is just pull the PCV valve and plug the hose and run a breather on the pass side like I use on the drivers side since at wide open throttle the PCV valve wont work and is closed at WOT. So I just run two breathers to race and hook the PCV valve back up when done before I drive out of the track. Them breathers with the nipple have a baffle in them and work nice as not to spit oil on the valve covers when racing like open bottom breathers do. And these valve covers I use have a baffle under the breather/PCV hole in the valve covers. Ron

Why not just plug the drivers side completely off and let the PCV pull some crankcase vacuum? It will only do it at idle and cruise but that's better than nothing.

The way it's plumbed now, you are pulling air from the drivers side through the engine and into the carb. May as well use all that work for some crank case vacuum.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: Juicedrinker] #2233485
01/13/17 01:51 PM
01/13/17 01:51 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

The way it's plumbed now, you are pulling air from the drivers side through the engine and into the carb.

I pull off both valve covers into a T then into the center carb base on my stealth racer where on paper with the ring pack im using requires most to use a vac pump, but it works.

I dont now how much I might be loosing without a real vac pump but I dont see to have any issues as it is.

Re: Crankcase evac ? [Re: madscientist] #2233859
01/14/17 01:17 AM
01/14/17 01:17 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By 383man

Why not just plug the drivers side completely off and let the PCV pull some crankcase vacuum? It will only do it at idle and cruise but that's better than nothing.

The way it's plumbed now, you are pulling air from the drivers side through the engine and into the carb. May as well use all that work for some crank case vacuum.

Of course I am pulling air/blowby through the crankcase into the carb. Thats what a normal PCV system does. Its basically a controlled vacum leak and its just what I want on my street car. I surely dont want to seal it off and pull a vacum in the crankcase I cant control. I would be looking into vacum pumps if I was that serious about it but I am not. I just want a standard PCV system on my street car. If it was sealed and not controlled then I would be worried about oil leaks from gaskets pulled in some. For my mild street car this works great keeping the crankcase vented. I dont need a vacum pump type setup for this mild combo I run on my driver. I might look at it different if I only raced it but this works good for me. About the only thing I could change is to run an air cleaner housing with the nipple to put the hose from the drivers valve cover to so I pulled filtered air through it but the breather does have a type of screen mesh filter in it. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 01/14/17 01:20 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2