12/30/16 03:17 AM
12/30/16 03:17 AM
Spartanburg SC
MoparDan Offline OP
mopar
MoparDan  Offline OP
mopar

Spartanburg SC
A friend without internet has a 67 X he is restoring. Tells me he has the original windshield out. Has cleaned up the 'channels' as he described where the the bottom and top (?) of the windshield fit into. He has a new 67 windshield gasket, but is not sure of how to install. place the gasket in the "channels" first or onto the windshield before installing?
I have never worked on a 67 B and can't give him solid advise.
Could someone give me a how to, to give my friend.
Thank you in advance Moparts friends.

Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: MoparDan] #2223371
12/30/16 02:41 PM
12/30/16 02:41 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Check with a local glass shop . . . but on my 70 Sport Satellite, the rubber gasket went into the opening in the car first, and then the windshield set into the rubber. One thing to remember is to clean the metal on the opening really well, then on the bottom run a bead of butyl and up the sides about 6", THEN but the rubber in, then but the windshield in the rubber - that is what the FSM says for my 70. The glass shop didn't do it that way, and it leaks - will be going back to them in the spring to fix properly . . . mean they have to remove the windshield !!!

Anyhow, do a google search and you will probably find what the FSM for 67 B body shows (I am pretty sure it is same as 70 . . . but, you never know) . . .

Good luck,

M

Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: MoparDan] #2223512
12/30/16 06:25 PM
12/30/16 06:25 PM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
Looks like no one else is commenting, and I have done this 4-5 times, but never the way the pro's do it. Put rubber in the opening on the flange, but it will probably fall out at the top. Set the glass on it and start to work it into the rubber at the bottom.

Use a wooden paint stick, or plastic to help you move the rubber around the glass, and a strong dish soap solution to lubricate the rubber/glass.

DO NOT FORCE the glass, do not push down on the glass. From the bottom work up the sides and eventually the glass won't be laying on the rubber, but will go in and find its position in the car. But that won't happen until the very last of the rubber is plied around the glass. Again, dish soap lubricant is your friend and will help that last "slip into place"

This takes me 2-3 hours, and as you work up the pillars the glass will be farther out, but eventually go in towards the car and allow you to finish the top. If not, its because the glass is not sliding into the gasket in all places, lube it up and it will.

Good luck, remember do not force, do not push. The rubber will pull it into final position.

The new rubber will make this job much easier for us non-pro's.

Last edited by SportF; 12/30/16 06:27 PM.
Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: SportF] #2223580
12/30/16 08:13 PM
12/30/16 08:13 PM
Spartanburg SC
MoparDan Offline OP
mopar
MoparDan  Offline OP
mopar

Spartanburg SC
What I understand is 66/67 B bodies are not as simple an installation- are different from 68 and up B bodies. I did an installation on a 69 B and a couple 71/72 B's
Appreciate the replys and any insite from those who have installed on a 67
Thanks

Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: MoparDan] #2223607
12/30/16 09:01 PM
12/30/16 09:01 PM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
If there is a metal flange inside the window "frame", and the gasket fits over that, then over the outside of the glass, the install would be the same no matter what. Many windows have been installed all in a similar fashion since maybe the 30's. There are big trucks that still do it today. So, the principal is the same.

Now, most pro's use like a rope to pull the rubber in place, I just never felt comfortable doing that.

Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: MoparDan] #2223843
12/31/16 03:05 AM
12/31/16 03:05 AM
west palm beach, florida
modelmakerinc Offline
top fuel
modelmakerinc  Offline
top fuel

west palm beach, florida
My installer, on my sedan fitted the rubber with sealant onto the car then placed the glass into its bottom groove, then proceeded to "work" the rubber and glass up the,side and across the top.

It is really sketchy when he was doing the upper corners. Just about had to change my shorts while he was at it. Took him 2 hours plus

Exceptional Architectural, Yacht and Automotive scale models. e-mail modelmakerinc@att.net for a portfolio review. www.modelmakerinc.com
Re: installing windshield in a 67 B [Re: SportF] #2223957
12/31/16 12:29 PM
12/31/16 12:29 PM
Andrews,In. U.S.of A.
67_Satellite Offline
super stock
67_Satellite  Offline
super stock

Andrews,In. U.S.of A.
Originally Posted By SportF
Looks like no one else is commenting, and I have done this 4-5 times, but never the way the pro's do it. Put rubber in the opening on the flange, but it will probably fall out at the top. Set the glass on it and start to work it into the rubber at the bottom.

Use a wooden paint stick, or plastic to help you move the rubber around the glass, and a strong dish soap solution to lubricate the rubber/glass.

DO NOT FORCE the glass, do not push down on the glass. From the bottom work up the sides and eventually the glass won't be laying on the rubber, but will go in and find its position in the car. But that won't happen until the very last of the rubber is plied around the glass. Again, dish soap lubricant is your friend and will help that last "slip into place"

This takes me 2-3 hours, and as you work up the pillars the glass will be farther out, but eventually go in towards the car and allow you to finish the top. If not, its because the glass is not sliding into the gasket in all places, lube it up and it will.

Good luck, remember do not force, do not push. The rubber will pull it into final position.

The new rubber will make this job much easier for us non-pro's.
Times 2 on this method. I did it once and got away with it.Use lots of plastic or wood "pryin sticks", and don't hurry.Mine had a rubber bead which pushed into a groove in the rubber gasket to lock it in place. Like it was gonna jump out...