Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
M

Florida
And that is why I have to give you credit for an interesting argument.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: mopar346] #2221067
12/26/16 01:57 PM
12/26/16 01:57 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By mopar346

I think when the "hype" and the last of the speculators are truly done with the "hobby", and it long falls to the wayside like collecting/interest in Model T's, rebodied musclecars that were VIN swapped, created clones, recreations, etc, etc will be looked upon with little to no fanfare of their heretic beginnings much like Model T's and A's resurrected today literately from ashes or rust if you will

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: A12] #2221177
12/26/16 04:33 PM
12/26/16 04:33 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By A12
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Stanton
So here's a hypothetical question. Say a guy was to buy a '66 or '67 Belvedere or Satelite and doesn't much care for the dash and wants to custamizit with one out of a '68/'69 or '70. I'd agree that the car shouldn't be reg'd as the later model since it clearly isn't BUT according to some of the replies here swapping over the VIN is illegal too.

Some here, misinterpret the law regarding the "handling" of a VIN, even if it's going back on the same vehicle, some would have you think that you need the RMV/DMV and LEO present for a mere dash change requiring the swapping of a VIN tag from one dash to the other

Funny thing about these threads is if we were talking about trucks, nobody would give 2 hoots if we were swapping frames, cabs, doors, beds, VINs etc

I understand some of the arguments about owning two vehicles LEGALLY and holding legal titles and documents for both and then mixing and swapping parts from one to the other but this whole thread started with a vehicle in a salvage yard or farm field or wherever WITHOUT A VIN PLATE ATTACHED TO THE DASH, NO LEGAL TITLE OR DOCUMENTS TO THAT MISSING VIN PLATE, AND ABSOLUTLEY NO, THAT'S NO PROOF THAT THE MISSING VIN PLATE IS NOT REGISTERED TO ANOTHER BODY OF A CAR IT DIDN'T COME OFF OF and the OP wanted to know how to register or get a VIN plate MADE to match a FMVSS compliance LABEL on a door frame? What am I missing???? If this can be done as some have implied, you members that have cars that are not registered yet, or in the process of restoration and not registered yet, or just sitting in the yard behind the house had better hide the VIN because it seems that anyone can write it down, email it off to Vermont or wherever and take LEGAL possession of YOUR car without so much as a worry when they get caught about them legally owning it! Isn't this backa$$ward from HAVING A VIN and legal possession of a car and the VIN plate damaged and a legitimate need to have it legally reproduced?? THERE IS NO VIN PLATE ON THE CAR THAT THE OP WANTS TO HAVE ONE MADE FOR. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REBODYING, OR SWAPPING PARTS. If the OP can have a VIN plate made with as little as a door frame decal and then end up as the legal owner, God help us all.

MikeR

You missed the cars that are in States or Canada where they don't title older cars. You could do the same thing.

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: DAYCLONA] #2221182
12/26/16 04:36 PM
12/26/16 04:36 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

I think when the "hype" and the last of the speculators are truly done with the "hobby", and it long falls to the wayside like collecting/interest in Model T's, rebodied musclecars that were VIN swapped, created clones, recreations, etc, etc will be looked upon with little to no fanfare of their heretic beginnings much like Model T's and A's resurrected today literately from ashes or rust if you will

In the world of vintage race cars re-bodies are done all the time. A Lemans winning Porsche 917(?) has been rebodied IIRC 4 times. Still it sold for millions.

Some people would rather see these preserved rather than destroyed.

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: Morty426] #2221191
12/26/16 04:54 PM
12/26/16 04:54 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Morty426

In the world of vintage race cars re-bodies are done all the time. A Lemans winning Porsche 917(?) has been rebodied IIRC 4 times. Still it sold for millions.

Rebodying vehicles has been performed for decades, cars of the 20's and 30's into the early 40's were often rebodied by various custom coach builders to either customize or upgrade the look of the vehicle rather than buying a NEW vehicle during that time period, most race cars, old and new often ran the same chassis for years and rebodying the outward appearance of the car to emulate the mfg's latest offerings, or race regulation requirements...

One only has to spend some time with some individuals restoring, rebuilding vehicles from early teens up the 40's to see just how much disregard there is for originality, VIN swapping,rebodying and the such when there's little to no vehicle or parts left to "restore" in the conventional/traditional sense...

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: DAYCLONA] #2221213
12/26/16 05:36 PM
12/26/16 05:36 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By Morty426

Rebodying vehicles has been performed for decades, cars of the 20's and 30's into the early 40's were often rebodied by various custom coach builders to either customize or upgrade the look of the vehicle rather than buying a NEW vehicle during that time period, most race cars, old and new often ran the same chassis for years and rebodying the outward appearance of the car to emulate the mfg's latest offerings, or race regulation requirements...

One only has to spend some time with some individuals restoring, rebuilding vehicles from early teens up the 40's to see just how much disregard there is for originality, VIN swapping,rebodying and the such when there's little to no vehicle or parts left to "restore" in the conventional/traditional sense...

I still say this in not or at least it didn't start out as a rebody thread. From what I read from the OP he has or wants to buy the body of a car he wants to have a VIN plate made from a vinyl FMVSS compliance label on that body's door frame, how is that about rebodying cars? How is that legal without any proof that the missing VIN plate from that vehicle isn't still in the legal possession of the owner of that shell. Does any know if that car is in a salvage yard, a private business lot, the legal owner's yard, etc., Can the OP have a VIN plate legally made to match a VIN on a compliance label on a car that he has no proof of owning or knows the existence of the missing originally assigned VIN plate? That was the question, not rebodying, not swapping parts or VIN plates or if it can be done in States or Countries that don't title, or in States that just require a VIN, real or made up, or the Corvette guys do it all the time or it's been done for decades or.......CAN THE OP HAVE A VIN PLATE MADE FROM A VINYL FMVSS COMPLIANCE LABEL ON A DOOR FRAME HE FOUND ON A SHELL OF A CAR? Simple question that turns, as always to argue What's the answer, can the OP have a VIN plate reproduced from just a (photo at best) vinyl compliance label or not?

MikeR

Last edited by A12; 12/26/16 05:37 PM.
Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: 1971 Gran Coupe] #2221230
12/26/16 06:19 PM
12/26/16 06:19 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Originally Posted By 1971 Gran Coupe
Can't believe this is 5 pages and counting.

This is the best suggestion as there will be no winner/loser in this argument !! lock

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: A12] #2221240
12/26/16 06:32 PM
12/26/16 06:32 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By A12
question: CAN THE OP HAVE A VIN PLATE MADE FROM A VINYL FMVSS COMPLIANCE LABEL ON A DOOR FRAME HE FOUND ON A SHELL OF A CAR?[/b] Simple question that turns, as always to argue What's the answer, can the OP have a VIN plate reproduced from just a (photo at best) vinyl compliance label or not?

MikeR

YES HE CAN...I mentioned, as well as others thru out this thread just how, what, when and whatever was needed to pursue a repro VIN tag using the existing numbers he has, had this car been a mythical R or even V code, then it might be worth pursuing for some that get a hard on for VIN #s, otherwise as mentioned by myself and others either get a State issued VIN (more BS/red tape runaround) or just procure a set of "clean" VIN numbers/tag (Sat/RR/GTX) title it and be done...

Threads like this will deviate into moral/ethical dilemmas regarding rebodys, VIN swaps, repro tags, documents, plus some pull out their soap box platform to denounce said practices etc, etc, etc, it's par for the course, plus it's winter cabin fever time also

Re: Only way to get a legal VIN [Re: Wizard] #2221448
12/27/16 01:08 AM
12/27/16 01:08 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
mopar346  Offline
M

Florida
Cheap entertainment and for the most part a decent discussion, people align on different sides of many issues, there are many things that are considered acceptable today that aren't right in the beliefs of many.

My first course of action (if I was dedicated to this car) as mentioned would be to run the VIN in PA as well as several surrounding states to see if it is still active or possibly get info on the last registered only, who knows they may still have a title they are willing to sell you. Now you have legal grounds to get a reproduction VIN plate properly.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2222284
12/28/16 05:14 PM
12/28/16 05:14 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By JohnRR

You mean that door that is LAYING IN THAT PILE of parts ?

Does the number on that STICKER that can be reproduced match the partial numbers on the body ??

also how do you know it was a 4 speed car without the original fender tag or broadcast sheet ? the same hole in the floor was used with a 3 speed ???

You thinking what I'm thinking?, the entire car, the surroundings, the door with a "possible" repro sticker, matching faux paint, carefully and strategically laid to rest as it someone carelessly had parted it out? is it just a ruse? staged? to fool/convince others into thinking he has whole heartily located the long lost mythical holy grail of medium build 383 4 bbl/4spd Road Runners long lost to car enthusiast and the collector car market for decades has finally been found? and in Ebay saleable condition? just say it isn't so, surely you jest?...Some of you guys just crack me up...lol!

Mike did you see it in your crystal ball that all the various paints on those parts was applied at the various same times ???

If someone really wanted to one could STAGE replacing body panels with photographic PROOF and later show the REBODIED result that was driven UNDER the numbers ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2222288
12/28/16 05:20 PM
12/28/16 05:20 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I'm still trying to figure out how the WIZZER is 100% positive this is a 4 speed car ?

Or did I miss that he has the matching number trans in that pile o' parts .

running up my post count some more .
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10