Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2213836
12/14/16 12:59 PM
12/14/16 12:59 PM
Pgh, PA
B
Bull1tt Offline
top fuel
Bull1tt  Offline
top fuel
B

Pgh, PA
The Ford guys have been getting legit 1965/66 titles for new kit Cobras for years... they thought it adds value to have an early title. Well, cheaper to insure and/or get an antique or classic tag for it to avoid annual inspections and emission tests. Here in PA at least. I know a guy who did, using the VIN on his ERA chassis, and ended with a legit titled1965 car!

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Bull1tt] #2213904
12/14/16 03:27 PM
12/14/16 03:27 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Bull1tt
The Ford guys have been getting legit 1965/66 titles for new kit Cobras for years... they thought it adds value to have an early title. Well, cheaper to insure and/or get an antique or classic tag for it to avoid annual inspections and emission tests. Here in PA at least. I know a guy who did, using the VIN on his ERA chassis, and ended with a legit titled1965 car!

Generally when you build a "kit car" or "replica", a donor vehicle is used and rebodied, so you use the donor's "identity" to title, register, insure the vehicle...

However in cases where the vehicle is a custom built tubular chassis/uni-body, or no donor vehicle is used, most States allow the vehicle to be titled as the year of production it represents, a State issued VIN is often applied, unless the vehicle is supplied with an MSO#/mfg.VIN which is usually the case with "turnkey" replicas

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2213988
12/14/16 06:52 PM
12/14/16 06:52 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Morty426

Having just registration will not help you in CA

There's still a handful of States that are not title States, plus some States started applying title requirements just a few years ago, I know that if I bring in a non titled State vehicle into Massachusetts, I just need the last registration and a bill of sale to title/reg. it in Mass

I know California is a "Nation" all it's own in regards to red tape bureaucracy, what's the current stats for registering vintage iron from in State, and out of State, along with the emission BS?

Mike

Mike,

I know this all too well. As I have a car from one of these States. I've tried my DMV three times and every time it's a new excuse. The car is from a State that does not Title cars older than 1975. I have an email from their DMV stating this and the CA DMV should know this ..... yet I now need produce a letter from them on State Letterhead that says this!

The sad thing is that I could cheat. I could go into DMV and say "I lost the title to my car and I never non-op'd it and I'm a car collector so I don't owe back fees and here is my CHP VIN verification, so can I have a title please. " ... and they will issue me a title for $10. That's not the right thing to do, but it will worked. I'd rather do the right thing. I've tried to point out the hypocrisy to DMV but it falls on deaf ears.

Chris

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Bull1tt] #2213992
12/14/16 07:05 PM
12/14/16 07:05 PM
Dillsburg, PA
W
Wizard Offline OP
mopar
Wizard  Offline OP
mopar
W

Dillsburg, PA
Maybe this car was a Satellite with a Road Runner driver side door replaced...

Odds are, the dash is on a liscenced car. And they used the title, driveline, and hood from it.

I bought some parts off a guy about five years ago, and noticed a 71 Runner under a cover. Nice car, a plum crazy car that had nice options that matched fender tag, along with color and interior, and a RM23 VIN on the tag, but didn't match the RM23 VIN on the dash. He bought the car at Carlisle ten years prior.

No, the car is definitely a road runner as confirmed by the matching paint on both doors are same as on the body of the car laying near it and confirmed the VIN on the door is a road runner.

Wizard

Guns, God, and Country. U.S. Veteran
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Morty426] #2214063
12/14/16 09:51 PM
12/14/16 09:51 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

Having just registration will not help you in CA

There's still a handful of States that are not title States, plus some States started applying title requirements just a few years ago, I know that if I bring in a non titled State vehicle into Massachusetts, I just need the last registration and a bill of sale to title/reg. it in Mass

I know California is a "Nation" all it's own in regards to red tape bureaucracy, what's the current stats for registering vintage iron from in State, and out of State, along with the emission BS?

Mike

Mike,

I know this all too well. As I have a car from one of these States. I've tried my DMV three times and every time it's a new excuse. The car is from a State that does not Title cars older than 1975. I have an email from their DMV stating this and the CA DMV should know this ..... yet I now need produce a letter from them on State Letterhead that says this!

The sad thing is that I could cheat. I could go into DMV and say "I lost the title to my car and I never non-op'd it and I'm a car collector so I don't owe back fees and here is my CHP VIN verification, so can I have a title please. " ... and they will issue me a title for $10. That's not the right thing to do, but it will worked. I'd rather do the right thing. I've tried to point out the hypocrisy to DMV but it falls on deaf ears.

Chris

Thanks for the input Chris, agreed often times the DMV/RMV is fraught with so much confusion on THEIR END, that circumventing their policies/paperwork in any way shape or form is often the only choice left for an individual that has little to no paperwork/documentation/tags/etc for a vehicle

Mike

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2214379
12/15/16 01:02 PM
12/15/16 01:02 PM
Pgh, PA
B
Bull1tt Offline
top fuel
Bull1tt  Offline
top fuel
B

Pgh, PA
Originally Posted By Wizard

Odds are, the dash is on a liscenced car. And they used the title, driveline, and hood from it.

I bought some parts off a guy about five years ago, and noticed a 71 Runner under a cover. Nice car, a plum crazy car that had nice options that matched fender tag, along with color and interior, and a RM23 VIN on the tag, but didn't match the RM23 VIN on the dash. He bought the car at Carlisle ten years prior.

No, the car is definitely a road runner as confirmed by the matching paint on both doors are same as on the body of the car laying near it and confirmed the VIN on the door is a road runner.

Wizard

It's the remains of a Road Runner, but I believe the Title and VIN are being used on another body already. Probably along with the drivetrain... unfortunately, we can't have two of the same VIN out there running around. Need to find out if that VIN is registered and out there somewhere.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2214409
12/15/16 01:45 PM
12/15/16 01:45 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't even consider registering with the original VIN. What if the guy who has it has both the VIN and the paperwork but hasn't registered it yet, then some time down the road he does. Now you're in deep do-do. Just find another dash/VIN/paperwork. As for the door #s, doors got damaged, rotted, etc and swapped all the time !!

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Stanton] #2214484
12/15/16 03:30 PM
12/15/16 03:30 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Stanton
I wouldn't even consider registering with the original VIN. What if the guy who has it has both the VIN and the paperwork but hasn't registered it yet, then some time down the road he does. Now you're in deep do-do. Just find another dash/VIN/paperwork. As for the door #s, doors got damaged, rotted, etc and swapped all the time !!

Agreed, I stated this earlier, it's just a "plain jane" RR, stick a "clean" titled VIN on her and start the resto, just be sure to remove/restamp the previous numbers

now all that's needed...

livestock-watering1.jpg
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2214544
12/15/16 05:37 PM
12/15/16 05:37 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
That horse is not drinking the water supplied here.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: NANKET] #2214555
12/15/16 05:48 PM
12/15/16 05:48 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Evidently it is the other end of the horse giving very bad legal advice. twocents

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2214873
12/16/16 01:49 AM
12/16/16 01:49 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Here is one that belonged to a friend of mine 25+ yrs ago, BS27R0B.He sold it to another of my friends who also sold it about 5 yrs later,it started as BH27G0B,all three owners knew the history,paid decent money when bought and all made money when sold,nothing hidden from any one and current owner is quite happy with the car. ( and nobody went to court !! biggrin )

image.jpeg
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Bull1tt] #2215156
12/16/16 04:55 PM
12/16/16 04:55 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska

Wizard

It's the remains of a Road Runner, but I believe the Title and VIN are being used on another body already. Probably along with the drivetrain... unfortunately, we can't have two of the same VIN out there running around. Need to find out if that VIN is registered and out there somewhere.

If I was to post a picture of a car could you tell me the history on it ?

who is that guy?
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2215179
12/16/16 05:40 PM
12/16/16 05:40 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
The door has the correct VIN for a roadrunner as I have confirmed it is legit road runner 383 4bbl built in Windsor Canada plant. Its a medium build also. I looked around again for the build sheet and vin but did not find dash nor vin. Looked under bottom seat for build sheet but not back seat. will have to do that.

Wizard

You mean that door that is LAYING IN THAT PILE of parts ?

Does the number on that STICKER that can be reproduced match the partial numbers on the body ??

also how do you know it was a 4 speed car without the original fender tag or broadcast sheet ? the same hole in the floor was used with a 3 speed ???

running up my post count some more .
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2215182
12/16/16 05:43 PM
12/16/16 05:43 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

Wizard

Oh so you know this because it has matching paint ??? You said paint right ???

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Brian_wo] #2215183
12/16/16 05:45 PM
12/16/16 05:45 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By Brian_wo

Wizard

If I was to post a picture of a car could you tell me the history on it ?

Maybe he has a crystal ball ?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2215185
12/16/16 05:47 PM
12/16/16 05:47 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
My thought John.

who is that guy?
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: JohnRR] #2215202
12/16/16 06:12 PM
12/16/16 06:12 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By JohnRR

Does the number on that STICKER that can be reproduced match the partial numbers on the body ??

also how do you know it was a 4 speed car without the original fender tag or broadcast sheet ? the same hole in the floor was used with a 3 speed ???

You thinking what I'm thinking?, the entire car, the surroundings, the door with a "possible" repro sticker, matching faux paint, carefully and strategically laid to rest as it someone carelessly had parted it out? is it just a ruse? staged? to fool/convince others into thinking he has whole heartily located the long lost mythical holy grail of medium build 383 4 bbl/4spd Road Runners long lost to car enthusiast and the collector car market for decades has finally been found? and in Ebay saleable condition? just say it isn't so, surely you jest?...Some of you guys just crack me up...lol!

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: 62maxwgn] #2215211
12/16/16 06:31 PM
12/16/16 06:31 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Here is one that belonged to a friend of mine 25+ yrs ago, BS27R0B.He sold it to another of my friends who also sold it about 5 yrs later,it started as BH27G0B,all three owners knew the history,paid decent money when bought and all made money when sold,nothing hidden from any one and current owner is quite happy with the car. ( and nobody went to court !! biggrin )

Nice ride!, a better more desirable vehicle was saved with this rebody, chances/hopefully it was a "clean-rust free" donor? which actually makes for the ultimate restoration, you get "factory original sheetmetal", "factory welds", "assembly line correctness", "assembly line nuisances unique to the actual production year", all those things restorers strive to reproduce when cobbling a busted/rust bucket back together with used/NOS/repro sheetmetal/parts and improper assembly/welds trying to "restore" a vehicle back to "original", not to mention the labor savings usually associated with using a donor vehicle and the fact the vehicle hasn't been splayed open down to the bare bones to "reconstruct" it,...the "Mopar collective" has been, and always will be, the last to accept the changes in the hobby regarding re-bodies/VIN swaps, etc

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: 62maxwgn] #2215215
12/16/16 06:39 PM
12/16/16 06:39 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn

Does this the one have the original body numbers & counterfeit VIN tag?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2215221
12/16/16 06:50 PM
12/16/16 06:50 PM
Dillsburg, PA
W
Wizard Offline OP
mopar
Wizard  Offline OP
mopar
W

Dillsburg, PA
Originally Posted By JohnRR

I hear you Dayclona, this guy that says how do I know the doors could be from some other car or it could be a 3 speed. The paint on both inside door and you can't see the passenger door in the pic does match the body. Also, vin sticker on the door has been there for a long time as you can tell by looking at it. It's ridiculous that he says someone could have reproduced it and placed it there in that pile of junk its laying on.

Oh so you know this because it has matching paint ??? You said paint right ???

Yes, I said paint. It's the same condition and fading as on the body.

Wizard

You thinking what I'm thinking?, the entire car, the surroundings, the door with a "possible" repro sticker, matching faux paint, carefully and strategically laid to rest as it someone carelessly had parted it out? is it just a ruse? staged? to fool/convince others into thinking he has whole heartily located the long lost mythical holy grail of medium build 383 4 bbl/4spd Road Runners long lost to car enthusiast and the collector car market for decades has finally been found? and in Ebay saleable condition? just say it isn't so, surely you jest?...Some of you guys just crack me up...lol!

Guns, God, and Country. U.S. Veteran
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10