Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2211699
12/11/16 04:41 AM
12/11/16 04:41 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA

The law does not deal with 'ifs', only facts. The fact is that VIN swaps & VIN tampering is a felony.

"Rolling back" an Odometer is a felony also, how many restorers, or instrument re-builders do this?...plenty, accepted practice, just like reboding, reVINing, restamping, etc, etc

When I tell the judge "Well everyone else was speeding" it never works

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2211820
12/11/16 02:22 PM
12/11/16 02:22 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
This is the way this type of threads usually go.

The 'do it legal types' offer advice that will keep the person out of legal trouble.

vs.

The 'just commit a felony or two types' who feel it is OK because they do it, & the more people that follow their lead then the more 'acceptable' it will become.

I still wish there was a clause in the Moparts Rule Book saying that those encouraging breaking the law could be expelled for once & for all.

Barry,
I would be curious to know actual numbers of those that were busted,supposedly busted or someone you actually know for vin swap on a vehicle such as this,not those that make a living vin tampering on late model cars, I would guess the numbers aren't very high. shruggy

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: 62maxwgn] #2211895
12/11/16 04:30 PM
12/11/16 04:30 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
This is the way this type of threads usually go.

The 'do it legal types' offer advice that will keep the person out of legal trouble.

vs.

The 'just commit a felony or two types' who feel it is OK because they do it, & the more people that follow their lead then the more 'acceptable' it will become.

I still wish there was a clause in the Moparts Rule Book saying that those encouraging breaking the law could be expelled for once & for all.

Barry,
I would be curious to know actual numbers of those that were busted,supposedly busted or someone you actually know for vin swap on a vehicle such as this,not those that make a living vin tampering on late model cars, I would guess the numbers aren't very high. shruggy

I think he's only been able to muster perhaps 3 cases over the decades, no one went to jail, no cars completely confiscated, etc, etc, etc, ...LEO's are only interested in "real" cases of mass fraud, large chop shops turning out high end cars for profit, not some enthusiast in his garage rebuilding/reboding some rusty old relic

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2211969
12/11/16 06:23 PM
12/11/16 06:23 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
The questions above are baloney. If it happens one time it is too many.
It all comes down to this 2 part question.

1) Would you like to unknowingly buy a car that was rebodied?
2) When you found out about it what would you do?

How about all you folks who believe in this, why don't you rebody using numbers from avacado green or brown 318 cars?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2212028
12/11/16 07:55 PM
12/11/16 07:55 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
Hey cretin, who yo all callin a liberal, my vote went in the win column, and I am extatic about the winner!!!! think of this on your next sleepless night, I eat and sleep so darn good you wouldn't believe it. Your ways do not make me feel bad about who I am.

I find humor in how your side turns to insulting others when your illegal actions cannot be justified any other way.

PS, look up cretin on urban dictionary.com, I saw your photo there.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: NANKET] #2212047
12/11/16 08:21 PM
12/11/16 08:21 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By NANKET
The questions above are baloney. If it happens one time it is too many.
It all comes down to this 2 part question.

1) Would you like to unknowingly buy a car that was rebodied?
2) When you found out about it what would you do?

How about all you folks who believe in this, why don't you rebody using numbers from avacado green or brown 318 cars?

1: I'd have ZERO issues with buying a "clean/rust free" rebodied vehicle, much better than buying a vehicle that was cobbled together with an assortment of donor vehicles, "Frankenstiened" welds/patches/repairs, etc, etc trying to maintain it's "originality" or "numbers" worthiness...
2: After finding said vehicle was "rebodied", I'd still sleep the same at night without any worries, as long as the vehicled looked and performed as I desired, a "rebodied" vehicle goes down the road like another vehicle...
3: Any VIN that is "clean" and title-able is fair game for use, 318, /6, etc, etc

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Morty426] #2212051
12/11/16 08:30 PM
12/11/16 08:30 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Morty426

The law does not deal with 'ifs', only facts. The fact is that VIN swaps & VIN tampering is a felony.

"Rolling back" an Odometer is a felony also, how many restorers, or instrument re-builders do this?...plenty, accepted practice, just like reboding, reVINing, restamping, etc, etc

When I tell the judge "Well everyone else was speeding" it never works

Presentation, Presentation,Presentation, I once used that line in court where I freely admitted to "speeding", only I cited the State's Driving Handbook where "One must maintain vehicle speed in traffic, matching that of other vehicles, regardless of the posted speed limit, so as not to impede traffic flow" followed with the Officer singled me out because I was driving a "high profile" vintage musclecar...charges and case were dismissed, with only a $20 "court fee" charged

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2212568
12/12/16 04:07 PM
12/12/16 04:07 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

Presentation, Presentation,Presentation, I once used that line in court where I freely admitted to "speeding", only I cited the State's Driving Handbook where "One must maintain vehicle speed in traffic, matching that of other vehicles, regardless of the posted speed limit, so as not to impede traffic flow" followed with the Officer singled me out because I was driving a "high profile" vintage musclecar...charges and case were dismissed, with only a $20 "court fee" charged

Well done! I've had more than my fair share of court victories, but I have never tried that approach. Maybe next time.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2212682
12/12/16 06:48 PM
12/12/16 06:48 PM
Texas
G
GTS440 Offline
enthusiast
GTS440  Offline
enthusiast
G

Texas
Hey Wizard doesn't look like anyone answered your question. There is someone who remakes VIN tags but they require body numbers & title as well as owner verification. The number was posted here in a thread a good while back. I have not been able to find it yet, but I'll keep looking. GTS

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2212691
12/12/16 07:04 PM
12/12/16 07:04 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Originally Posted By GTS440
There is someone who remakes VIN tags

If you are talking about the faker I think you are, he is the same guy that made the counterfeit Hemi VIN tag for a 383 car according to the court case record & he admitted to it.

Great guy to avoid!

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2212692
12/12/16 07:05 PM
12/12/16 07:05 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Hey Wizard doesn't look like anyone answered your question. There is someone who remakes VIN tags but they require body numbers & title as well as owner verification. The number was posted here in a thread a good while back. I have not been able to find it yet, but I'll keep looking. GTS

Until he verifies that the original missing VIN tag is not on another car currently what the heck is the difference if he can get one made or not? He still hasn't done the research. So forget the ORIGINAL VIN and or documentation, man up and go get a State issued salvage VIN, repair or restore it and drive it. Seems to me if the OP doesn't want to do the research on the possible current registration of the original VIN then maybe he doesn't want the car for what it is; a salvage vehicle without an original VIN, title or documentation?

Last edited by A12; 12/12/16 07:07 PM.
Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2212940
12/13/16 12:49 AM
12/13/16 12:49 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

If you want a missing VIN tag made, you'll need a title/registration, fender tag, buildsheet, and any other paperwork that www.datatags.com may require to "consider" the feasibility of making a VIN tag

let's face it the car's a plain jane RR, either affix a "clean" RR/SAT/GTX VIN tag to a dash and be done with it, remove/restamp the cowl/rad support #'s and get on with the rebuild, no trauma, no drama dealing with RMV/DMV/LEO, all the DMV/RMV/ sees is the paperwork, as long as all your t's are crossed and your i's dotted, and they can rubber stamp you out the door after deleting some coin from your wallet, everyone's happy

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2213015
12/13/16 03:34 AM
12/13/16 03:34 AM
Dillsburg, PA
W
Wizard Offline OP
mopar
Wizard  Offline OP
mopar
W

Dillsburg, PA
I saw something like this who makes them.

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2213279
12/13/16 01:29 PM
12/13/16 01:29 PM
Texas
G
GTS440 Offline
enthusiast
GTS440  Offline
enthusiast
G

Texas
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone in this thread, just trying to answer the original question. shruggy

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2213303
12/13/16 02:15 PM
12/13/16 02:15 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone in this thread, just trying to answer the original question. shruggy

You probably won't get the answer you are looking for here !! argue

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: GTS440] #2213338
12/13/16 03:17 PM
12/13/16 03:17 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

I answered that 2 posts up from yours, the original question was where to have a VIN tag made?... here at www.datatags.com

Although it's not "advertised", repro VIN tags are made there, you just need to have the required documentation to possibly acquire one thru this channel, it's much easier to just find a "clean" titled VIN from a Sat/RR/GTX and attach it to a dash, and give this project a new identity rather than hunt down the "missing" VIN thru the RMV/DMV/LEO, or applying for a State VIN and the hassles that will surely ensue

The remainder of the question involved no title, the OP could register the car in Vermont, you can do it on line, residency is not required, you need proof of Insurance, Grundy is good for this, buy a cheap policy, pay the registration on line, you'll be sent a registration, and a set of plates,....a short grace period of several months, then apply for a title in your State using the Vermont Registration...again it's much easier to just procure a "clean" VIN from a "donor" and title/reg that instead, unless one enjoys the DMV/RMV "Shell game"?

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2213351
12/13/16 03:49 PM
12/13/16 03:49 PM
Texas
G
GTS440 Offline
enthusiast
GTS440  Offline
enthusiast
G

Texas
I know. Thanks!

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2213523
12/13/16 09:13 PM
12/13/16 09:13 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

I answered that 2 posts up from yours, the original question was where to have a VIN tag made?... here at www.datatags.com

Although it's not "advertised", repro VIN tags are made there, you just need to have the required documentation to possibly acquire one thru this channel, it's much easier to just find a "clean" titled VIN from a Sat/RR/GTX and attach it to a dash, and give this project a new identity rather than hunt down the "missing" VIN thru the RMV/DMV/LEO, or applying for a State VIN and the hassles that will surely ensue

The remainder of the question involved no title, the OP could register the car in Vermont, you can do it on line, residency is not required, you need proof of Insurance, Grundy is good for this, buy a cheap policy, pay the registration on line, you'll be sent a registration, and a set of plates,....a short grace period of several months, then apply for a title in your State using the Vermont Registration...again it's much easier to just procure a "clean" VIN from a "donor" and title/reg that instead, unless one enjoys the DMV/RMV "Shell game"?

Having just registration will not help you in CA

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Morty426] #2213563
12/13/16 10:24 PM
12/13/16 10:24 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Morty426

Having just registration will not help you in CA

There's still a handful of States that are not title States, plus some States started applying title requirements just a few years ago, I know that if I bring in a non titled State vehicle into Massachusetts, I just need the last registration and a bill of sale to title/reg. it in Mass

I know California is a "Nation" all it's own in regards to red tape bureaucracy, what's the current stats for registering vintage iron from in State, and out of State, along with the emission BS?

Mike

Re: Anyway to get a VIN tag on dash for car you want to restore? [Re: Wizard] #2213834
12/14/16 12:48 PM
12/14/16 12:48 PM
Pgh, PA
B
Bull1tt Offline
top fuel
Bull1tt  Offline
top fuel
B

Pgh, PA
Maybe this car was a Satellite with a Road Runner driver side door replaced...

Odds are, the dash is on a liscenced car. And they used the title, driveline, and hood from it.

I bought some parts off a guy about five years ago, and noticed a 71 Runner under a cover. Nice car, a plum crazy car that had nice options that matched fender tag, along with color and interior, and a RM23 VIN on the tag, but didn't match the RM23 VIN on the dash. He bought the car at Carlisle ten years prior.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10