11/23/16 10:01 PM
11/23/16 10:01 PM
Northern Virginia
Moparmaniacc Offline OP
super stock
Moparmaniacc  Offline OP
super stock

Northern Virginia
Sorry for the basic question guys, but I've been off the forum for awhile and need to start fresh. My '70 440 Challenger needs clutch adjustment. When I'm not in gear, I can hear the pressure plate engaging until I push the clutch in. Ummm...is this normal?
I'm pretty sure I have the adjustment backed off pretty far, just a little more than finger tight. Can someone walk me through the basic procedure.
Also it shifts like crap, even after I tried to line up all the levers with the 1-2 and 3-4 rods disconnected. I bought new brewers 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers but haven't installed them yet, the ones in the car dont look correct.

Re: Clutch adjustment [Re: Moparmaniacc] #2201476
11/23/16 10:28 PM
11/23/16 10:28 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
With the clutch pedal NOT depressed the pressure plate is DEFINATELY engaged. The clutch/plate/flywheel should be locked up as one. Not sure what you are thinking might be a problem here, but the throw out bearing should be OFF the PP fingers/levers with the pedal fully UP. MAKE SURE this is the case! You do not want the bearing constantly turning!!!

As far as the rods, I know your supposed to insert a 1/4" Rod (drill bit) in the line-up hole on the shifter and then adjust the rods to fit but that didn't entirely work on my car. I ended up positioning the tranny levers in each gear (rods disconnected) then positioning the shifter in the appropriate gear and adjusting to suit.
Another way of doing this is go ahead with the 1/4" Rod method, then put the shifter into a gear, and then disco the rod at the tranny and check the tranny lever to ensure its exactly in position. On my car one gear needed a different adjustment than the 1/4" Rod method indicated.

Re: Clutch adjustment [Re: Moparmaniacc] #2201530
11/24/16 12:03 AM
11/24/16 12:03 AM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Originally Posted By Moparmaniacc
Sorry for the basic question guys, but I've been off the forum for awhile and need to start fresh. My '70 440 Challenger needs clutch adjustment. When I'm not in gear, I can hear the pressure plate engaging until I push the clutch in. Ummm...is this normal?
I'm pretty sure I have the adjustment backed off pretty far, just a little more than finger tight. Can someone walk me through the basic procedure.
Also it shifts like crap, even after I tried to line up all the levers with the 1-2 and 3-4 rods disconnected. I bought new brewers 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers but haven't installed them yet, the ones in the car dont look correct.

Sounds to me like the throw out bearing is not attached to the shift fork properly.. If both clips aren't attached to the fork, the throw out bearing will be cocked and touch the fingers of the pressure plate. Try backing the adjuster off all the way. If the noise goes away, then what I'm saying is probably true.. This will also make for lousy shifting as the clutch won't totally disengage. Good luck.

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight