02/18/06 07:40 PM
02/18/06 07:40 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

I spoke with a Tremclad marketing rep, his name is Mark. Mark said the formula between the tremclad and Rustoleum, the consumer lines.Meaning the non-industrial type paints, these 2 paints have a different formula base, but are meant to accomplish the same results, he did not comment on which of the 2 may be better paints only that they were made to do the same thing. The resins in the 2 paints are different in there chemical make up. When Rustoleum took over Tremclad some years ago, the Tremclad paint had some issues with fading. This has since been corrected using some component(company secret) from the Rustoleum corp, that corrected the fading issue. Don't get me wrong I am no expert, I only wish to share what was told to me concerning the 2 paint lines. It could be either paint will have to be tweaked by the user as well the experience factor on its application, would have to be developed by the user. He went to explain the resin differences Tremclad (long oil base) and Rustoleum ( either acrylic or come type of alkyd), but there definately is a difference). As a company rep he did not say which one may be a better paint, but the Tremclad will be sold only in Canada and the Rustoleum in the can will only be sold in the USA. This could be for EPA reasons, because of the VOC laws.This gentleman was very interested in this method of painting, has been consulting chemists at Tremclad. He has had a number of calls from people in the USA about using the Tremclad paint as you have dsicovered. Hope this helps.........Fred

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21931
02/18/06 09:02 PM
02/18/06 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well as far as helping goes this does not help us Poor U.S. citizens that want to use the tremclad product. A very small chemical difference goes a long way. However, enamal hardner with isocyanates in it that would turn the paint into a better longer lasting more durable product is available. It is sold at TSC and says for use with all enamel paints. It is worth looking into. Its 10 dollars a can. Does make the paint dry faster though.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21932
02/18/06 09:05 PM
02/18/06 09:05 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I have applied the "professional" stuff on another area of my door. All 6 coats are done now, I'm just waiting for the final coat a bit longer before I sand and polish. It already seems a little harder to scratch but its way too early to make any conclusion.

The non-professional stuff i posted pics of, I can still scratch the paint. I have to dig my fingernail in first, then push down. Its not easy to do. I've tried slashing it with a screwdriver, and when I do that the best I can do is to put a scratch in it but it doesnt' go all the way to the metal as when I use my nail.

maybe i have super fingernails.. but i'm hoping to test both of them in a few weeks and see that i can't scratch either.

so far the pro stuff smells, looks and acts just like the non-pro stuff. I wish I had some documentation as to an actual difference, but i guess i'll take their word for it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21933
02/18/06 09:07 PM
02/18/06 09:07 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Well as far as helping goes this does not help us Poor U.S. citizens that want to use the tremclad product. A very small chemical difference goes a long way. However, enamal hardner with isocyanates in it that would turn the paint into a better longer lasting more durable product is available. It is sold at TSC and says for use with all enamel paints. It is worth looking into. Its 10 dollars a can. Does make the paint dry faster though.

Toplessz, it's interesting you mention that. The tech support at Rustoleum told me the "professional" stuff dried faster and was more durable.. I wonder if this hardener product is what's in the professional line that's not in the standard line...

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #21934
02/18/06 09:46 PM
02/18/06 09:46 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hello. Am new to this site, but have been following along for the past week or so. I to had issues with bubbles. I found that if you continue to roll the paint 2-3 min, the bubbles are gone, and the paint lays really flat. The act of rolling tends to let the mineral spirts evaporate. I think. It worked for me.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21935
02/18/06 10:00 PM
02/18/06 10:00 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Nothing to add but a welcome to -cole18cars-. Welcome and join in the "fun".

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MoparforLife] #21936
02/18/06 10:10 PM
02/18/06 10:10 PM
Littleton, NC
K
KingMopar Offline
top fuel
KingMopar  Offline
top fuel
K

Littleton, NC
I think the main thing is getting the surface properly scuffed....and being patient on letting the enamel dry all the way thru. Enamels are a very soft paint with long, long cure times. If a hardner is added, it accelerates this process and thus makes a more brittle paint--and in my mind, will hurt the roller method as you need time for it to level. Mineral Spirits that are in the paint do not evaporate very quickly, say as acetone, lacquer, or keytone. For an enamel.....I'd say a month would be a good time period to say "it's finished" and to do any scratch/bang/beat testing. it will never be as hard as an enamel with hardner, but shouldn't be as prone to crack at seam joints, etc.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21937
02/18/06 10:25 PM
02/18/06 10:25 PM
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Well I decided to give the Tremclad another scratch and dent test tonight after 7 days after the last coat. I tried to scrape/scratch the paint of the can and label, unless I want to rip my nail from my finger in the process, I could not scratch the paint from the can.
Onto to my test piece the metal dash from a 1948 Dodge, very rusted to begin with, I just gave it a sand with 150 until relatively smooth. Again I could not scratch or scrape this paint from my test piece. I tried to scratch it on the edge of the paint area, in the centre and any other place you can think of. My next test will be sledge hammer, angle grinder, sand blaster and tiger torch, " just kidding". So far my results have been very good, the test piece was painted at 70 degrees temperature, but it has been sitting out in my garage temp around 36 farenheit all week
Just a thought you border state guys could run into your nearest Canadian towns and buy some and try it out, but if you can get the results with rustoleum, why bother. And for you guys a little to far from the 49th parallel(Can/USA Border), you could contact Rustoleum USA and ask them to import you some Tremaclad for private use, I am sure they could do this.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21938
02/18/06 10:45 PM
02/18/06 10:45 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey Guys, I've said it before but I'll say it again this is the best thing since sliced bread. Talk about a paint job on a budget well you can't get any better than this. Which got me thinking as I was sitting here, What does the guy (labrat) that started this topic think of this idea I havent seen him chime in with his opinion yet. Oh well just thought I'd stir the pot a little if ya know what I mean!!!! It's winter and I'm just getting cabin fever
"Can't wait to start a rollin" Jay

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21939
02/18/06 10:48 PM
02/18/06 10:48 PM
Littleton, NC
K
KingMopar Offline
top fuel
KingMopar  Offline
top fuel
K

Littleton, NC
Seeing that the times have been very close as far as drying times....and the scratch results differ, me tends to think that maybe the EPA has stepped on the Rustolium, in the regards of chemical makeup. Years ago, I've shot Rustolium over bare metal and given a month of drying time(if surface was clean and prepped), it's a very durable paint..as the painting was part of my brothers business(Tigtoons) I'd still give the Rustolium at least a month to dry to prove itself. The Tremclad might be a different chemical makeup as stated above....so it might be just a better paint for this type of application. Our government at work.

Did you know you could be "fined" via our EPA for shooting your car in your garage......but roll it outside, and they can't do a thing.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KingMopar] #21940
02/19/06 12:03 PM
02/19/06 12:03 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Here is an angle shot of the "professional" almond color. I had just finished the polish job. The rest of the test area I painted was prepped even worse so this was the best surface to show.

To me, the reflection looks a little "sharper" in this paint then it does in the non-professional stuff. I was in a hurry to finish this application of the professional, i think it would look smoother if I had spent a bit more time wetsanding with 6 or 800 grit. All else being equal, I think I would choose this paint to use over the standard rustoleum.

I was able to use my fingernail to scrape away part of the "professional" test area, but I'll resist the urge and give it a few weeks before trying again. Interesting that right before I scraped the professional side, I scraped the old side again, and the professional side was harder to scratch than the old (standard) side, and the professional side got 2 coats just yesterday.. so maybe it does harden quicker...

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21941
02/19/06 02:14 PM
02/19/06 02:14 PM
Red Bluff, CA
W
WilliamHall Offline
super gas
WilliamHall  Offline
super gas
W

Red Bluff, CA
Quote:

Well I decided to give the Tremclad another scratch and dent test tonight after 7 days after the last coat. I tried to scrape/scratch the paint of the can and label, unless I want to rip my nail from my finger in the process, I could not scratch the paint from the can.
Onto to my test piece the metal dash from a 1948 Dodge, very rusted to begin with, I just gave it a sand with 150 until relatively smooth. Again I could not scratch or scrape this paint from my test piece. I tried to scratch it on the edge of the paint area, in the centre and any other place you can think of. My next test will be sledge hammer, angle grinder, sand blaster and tiger torch, " just kidding". So far my results have been very good, the test piece was painted at 70 degrees temperature, but it has been sitting out in my garage temp around 36 farenheit all week
Just a thought you border state guys could run into your nearest Canadian towns and buy some and try it out, but if you can get the results with rustoleum, why bother. And for you guys a little to far from the 49th parallel(Can/USA Border), you could contact Rustoleum USA and ask them to import you some Tremaclad for private use, I am sure they could do this.

I use the professional version on a can and although much tougher than the standard it is not that tough. After reading this, I want some of that Tremclad. Sounds like an awesome paint.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: WilliamHall] #21942
02/19/06 05:40 PM
02/19/06 05:40 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
I've been looking at the Rust-oleum website comparing the information on their products. Under the industrial high performance paints a 9400 system is listed. It is described in part as:

Industrial high gloss Urethane

- Super high gloss finish
- Excellent for vehicle refinishing
- Highly aesthetic and durable
- A leveling additive is also available for brushing and roller application.

The only bad part is the color selection is limited. It does not state whether this product can be tinted or not.

The web address is:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product/asp:frm_product_id=106&SBL=2

Would this paint work for us? Could this paint be wetsanded and polished?

Last edited by QuickDodge; 02/19/06 05:42 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: QuickDodge] #21943
02/19/06 05:52 PM
02/19/06 05:52 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Not sure about the sanding/buffing part, but in small print on your linked page:
Quote:

Tint bases also available for custom colors.

Clair

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: QuickDodge] #21944
02/19/06 05:56 PM
02/19/06 05:56 PM
Gambrills, Md
M
mopork Offline
top fuel
mopork  Offline
top fuel
M

Gambrills, Md
on the above link underneath is listed the various tint bases, so I would say it can be tinted some what

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KingMopar] #21945
02/19/06 07:24 PM
02/19/06 07:24 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
I attempted to do another coat on the trunklid today. And still got AIR BUBBLES The paint was never shaken, only stirred...well. Ive tried different pressures with the roller, doesnt seem to make a difference. I'm sanding the trunklid back down, what can i do for the 'new' first coat to avoid those darn bubbles?

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #21946
02/19/06 11:41 PM
02/19/06 11:41 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I attempted to do another coat on the trunklid today. And still got AIR BUBBLES The paint was never shaken, only stirred...well. Ive tried different pressures with the roller, doesnt seem to make a difference. I'm sanding the trunklid back down, what can i do for the 'new' first coat to avoid those darn bubbles?

Do the bubbles only appear after you start rolling? If so, that seems to be normal, but it's also normal that they will pop on their own, or you can very lightly glide over them with the roller which will pop them and redistribute the resulting glob.

If they're not popping on their own, perhaps its a mixture ratio problem. Try thinning it more..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21947
02/19/06 11:52 PM
02/19/06 11:52 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Do the bubbles only appear after you start rolling? If so, that seems to be normal, but it's also normal that they will pop on their own, or you can very lightly glide over them with the roller which will pop them and redistribute the resulting glob.

If they're not popping on their own, perhaps its a mixture ratio problem. Try thinning it more..

Ive tried rollin over them. Its still an issue, they dry and look like

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #21948
02/20/06 02:25 AM
02/20/06 02:25 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
The mineral spirits wouldn't do that, so it's the paint, try thinning it more. Get it close to water just to see if your bubble problem goes away. It shouldn't run as long as you run over it lightly after first application, and don't get caught up in trying to coat the area with the new color on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd application. It's easy to lay the 1st coat on too thick because you want to change the color of whatever you're painting, but really your goal should be just getting a smooth thin layer of the mixture on.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21949
02/20/06 02:32 AM
02/20/06 02:32 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

The mineral spirits wouldn't do that, so it's the paint, try thinning it more. Get it close to water just to see if your bubble problem goes away. It shouldn't run as long as you run over it lightly after first application, and don't get caught up in trying to coat the area with the new color on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd application. It's easy to lay the 1st coat on too thick because you want to change the color of whatever you're painting, but really your goal should be just getting a smooth thin layer of the mixture on.

That sounds like what i needed to hear. I think my paint is too thick As soon as i can get it runnin and in the garage. its gettin painted...er i mean roller

Heres a photoshop of what it should look like. Color may be a little darker when it comes out

2020 RAM 1500
Page 23 of 85 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 84 85