In a van, down by the river
J
jmf340 Offline OP
mopar
jmf340  Offline OP
mopar
J

In a van, down by the river
Has anyone used a serpentine setup from a magnum on a LA engine. I know March sells them, but I was wondering if anyone has used the pulleys from a donor car/truck.

Got Mopar???
Re: Magnum serpentine setup on LA engine? [Re: jmf340] #217471
02/08/09 12:43 AM
02/08/09 12:43 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
You could do it but you would have to remove the mechanical fuel pump and cam ecentric. You would need the magnum AC compressor if you wanted air, you would have to use the magnum PS pump if you wanted PS, you will need the magnum altenator, you will need the bracket, water pump, and timing cover from the magnum motor. You may need shims between the brackets and the heads because the magnum head is a hair longer and the big bracket is not flexible enough to take any slack up for you. Obviously the bolts are all different but it could all be done.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Magnum serpentine setup on LA engine? [Re: jmf340] #217472
02/08/09 12:50 PM
02/08/09 12:50 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? Maybe, maybe not.

I did it, and it was a lot more work than I anticipated. The LA block does not have the bosses on the front that the Magnum block has, so the power steering pump bracket and the belt tensioner bracket don't have a place to mount. You'll have to fabricate those two items to make the whole package work. Even if you're planning on working around the PS, I don't think that was an option for any OEM Magnum vehicles, so you're on your own for finding a belt that will fit. No matter what you do, you'll have to sort out the tensioner.

After sorting out the PS/Tensioner issue, finding a belt for my resulting system became an issue. The 7-rib belt that Mopar uses is much less common than the 6-rib belts used by GM - and apparently lots of other folks. You COULD use a 6-rib belt and just leave one rib open, but I was stubborn and figured Mopar had some good reason for using the extra rib.

There's also an issue with the upper radiator hose and T-stat location from LA to Magnum. The Magnum AC bracket covers part of the LA t-stat housing, so you'll get interference between the AC compresor and the hose. I ended up hacking off a corner of the bracket AND a part of the compressor to make it fit. I'll end up tweaking that aspect some time, but it's not a clean setup. A 79-up style intake MIGHT move the t-stat housing in the right direction, but I haven't tested that.

I made it work, but I don't know if I'd use an LA block if I had to do it all over again.

Clair

Last edited by Clair_Davis; 02/08/09 12:51 PM.
Re: Magnum serpentine setup on LA engine? [Re: Clair_Davis] #217473
02/09/09 10:08 AM
02/09/09 10:08 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? Maybe, maybe not.

I did it, and it was a lot more work than I anticipated. The LA block does not have the bosses on the front that the Magnum block has, so the power steering pump bracket and the belt tensioner bracket don't have a place to mount. You'll have to fabricate those two items to make the whole package work. Even if you're planning on working around the PS, I don't think that was an option for any OEM Magnum vehicles, so you're on your own for finding a belt that will fit. No matter what you do, you'll have to sort out the tensioner.

After sorting out the PS/Tensioner issue, finding a belt for my resulting system became an issue. The 7-rib belt that Mopar uses is much less common than the 6-rib belts used by GM - and apparently lots of other folks. You COULD use a 6-rib belt and just leave one rib open, but I was stubborn and figured Mopar had some good reason for using the extra rib.

There's also an issue with the upper radiator hose and T-stat location from LA to Magnum. The Magnum AC bracket covers part of the LA t-stat housing, so you'll get interference between the AC compresor and the hose. I ended up hacking off a corner of the bracket AND a part of the compressor to make it fit. I'll end up tweaking that aspect some time, but it's not a clean setup. A 79-up style intake MIGHT move the t-stat housing in the right direction, but I haven't tested that.

I made it work, but I don't know if I'd use an LA block if I had to do it all over again.

Clair

Clair- 79-up tstat housing is actually going in the wrong direction, it'll move it towards the drivers side, further under the a/c compressor.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Magnum serpentine setup on LA engine? [Re: patrick] #217474
02/10/09 12:23 AM
02/10/09 12:23 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Does it move backwards at all? That might be enough, since it's smaller overall... I need to pull my 82 intake out of the corner and check, but it's under my bench grinder and that is one heavy lump of gray iron.

Clair