07/30/16 09:36 PM
07/30/16 09:36 PM
Michigan
K
Kip Offline OP
Kip  Offline OP
K

Michigan
I could use some transmission advice or maybe just some opinions. I have a classic hotrod, a ’27 T roadster with a ’54 331. Right now it has the original Powerflite, and it is working (sorta). I’m wondering if I should rebuild the Powerflite or maybe find a shop that can rebuild it, or install a later transmission.

Before anyone answers you all should know more background.

The engine is all stock

The car weighs 2400 pounds

I’m 70 years old and have no intension of finding out how fast it is

The body is channeled a couple of inches and the floor built around the powerflite.

There is essentially no room for a larger transmission without modifying the floor and seats

Re: Powerflite [Re: Kip] #2121545
07/30/16 09:47 PM
07/30/16 09:47 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
based on all the info you post and >if< you can find a competent shop to rebuild it and >if< it's rebuildable I'd go that route.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Powerflite [Re: Kip] #2121742
07/31/16 08:16 AM
07/31/16 08:16 AM
AZ
Mike P Offline
pro stock
Mike P  Offline
pro stock

AZ
I agree with Supercuda....as long as you are not planning on beating on the car regularly the Powerflight should hold up fine.

Andy Bernbaum offers rebuild kits for them (which is only about half the cost of just the adapter to use a different transmission).

http://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-transmission.aspx

Rebuilding the Powerflight also alleviates having to do all the downstream changes that would be required with a transmission swap;

Different driveshaft

redoing rear crossmember/trans mount

redoing shifter

Adding cooler lines and cooler (assuming the Powerflight is still air cooled)

Redoing emergency brakes (assuming your using the original drum brake on the back of the trans)

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction
Re: Powerflite [Re: Mike P] #2121762
07/31/16 09:53 AM
07/31/16 09:53 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
all of the above, especially the comment by SC of finding a competent shop. i have never had one of these apart, but if they are similar to an early iron, two piece torqueflite, they should be a somewhat simple transmission to rebuild. compared to a modern computer controlled version at least. the concern for a shop is a valid one because some of the internal parts machined appearances may be substantially different than those used today, thus a shop may deem certain parts unusable although they may be fine, plus some may look good, but not be suitable for re-use. this being the equipment and techniques used in the early days left a lot to be desired compared to the cnc machining used exclusively today. also, if no FSM or rebuilding guides for this transmission are available to the shop of your choice, critical clearance dimensions and adjustment procedures may not be used causing your rebuild to have problems maybe from the start. one thing i do know,those things are not the easiest to rassle into place. one other item to think about is the condition of your torque converter. hopefully, all it needs is a good flushing using the appropriate converter flushing machine. if there are problems inside it, i can't begin to tell you where to look for a replacement. what are the symptoms ? whatever you decide, good luck and i hope all turns out well.
beer
if a 55 powerflite transmission for a plymouth is the same except for the bellhousing attaching it to the hemi, i can copy and send you the transmission section from a FSM. i may even have one for a desoto of that vintage to compare info. i'm pretty sure i don't have a 54 chrysler FSM though, but i'll look through my library.

Last edited by moparx; 07/31/16 09:59 AM.
Re: Powerflite [Re: Kip] #2125303
08/04/16 11:20 PM
08/04/16 11:20 PM
Michigan
K
Kip Offline OP
Kip  Offline OP
K

Michigan
Thanks for the info

Kip