07/06/16 07:23 PM
Florida
CJD AUTOMOTIVE Offline OP
mopar
CJD AUTOMOTIVE  Offline OP
mopar

Florida
Originally Posted By 67autocross

Well keep the post going on the system as you build it for the E body, are you planning on keeping the factory upper control arm mounts or will it have them on the new suspension?

That is one of the questions I was asking in the original post. Would having to move the original location be a deal breaker? Are you open to possibly even installing a new shock tower piece? I need to know what you guys would want and what your willing to do to have the best handling or are you willing to compromise handling to keep the original upper mount?

Craig Scholl
CJD Automotive, LLC
Jacksonville, FL
www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com
904-400-1802

"I own a Mopar. I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification"
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105137
07/06/16 07:31 PM
07/06/16 07:31 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I'm thinking that if one was to spring for your setup that going all out would be the expectation. I can't see spending serious money for a new suspension that may be compromised by keeping the factory UCA mounts, assuming that would be a compromise.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105293
07/06/16 10:51 PM
07/06/16 10:51 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Originally Posted By CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Well keep the post going on the system as you build it for the E body, are you planning on keeping the factory upper control arm mounts or will it have them on the new suspension?

That is one of the questions I was asking in the original post. Would having to move the original location be a deal breaker? Are you open to possibly even installing a new shock tower piece? I need to know what you guys would want and what your willing to do to have the best handling or are you willing to compromise handling to keep the original upper mount?

I'm speaking only for myself here, if I was buying this kind of system which I ASSume will be in the $6000 range I would be looking for the best possible handling and not if I have to cut the car up or not. The market has enough products for stock suspension and enough bolt in Mustang II kits...so if you are going to do it make sure you don't compromise or there will be no point in choosing what you offer over what is already available.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: 67autocross] #2105318
07/06/16 11:26 PM
07/06/16 11:26 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
iagree

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105329
07/06/16 11:41 PM
07/06/16 11:41 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
The B/E bodies suffer from the wrong upper A-arm mounting, so that would have to go IMO. A bodies are good there.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105558
07/07/16 11:40 AM
07/07/16 11:40 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Along with the arm mountings being wrong, how about the 60's/70's factory tolerances? This may be a way to get that corrected too.

Carl Kessel
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105803
07/07/16 06:24 PM
07/07/16 06:24 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Just an observation from an Engineer with an MBA that likes to go fast as much as the next guy...

You are essentially doing what XV did to some extent, from what I can see. The history that I know was they went belly-up and were bought-out from a previous employer. They aren't necessarily today's hottest suspension manufacturer with product flying off of the shelves....again, from what I can see at this vantage. Maybe they are and I am just not aware.

With that in mind:

The number of people racing Mopars is very low.
The number of people racing Mopars at a highly-competitive level to necessitate drastic suspension changes is far lower.
The number of people getting into racing Muscle Cars is not necessarily booming either.

The target market here is minuscule, unfortunately. Basic business practices will tell you with that low of volumes, the cost will be high, margins will be low and it may not be as successful as you suspect. XV offers, to some extent, what you are talking about doing...and honestly...I can't remember the last time I have seen someone comment about owning an XV suspension system.

You may be trying to solve a problem that there is no sustainable market for. twocents

The key here is bang-for-buck, walking the supply/demand curve to increase volumes. There has to be a target cost and level of variation you can withstand, you can easily hit a pricing threshold that will scare away the majority of those even looking at major suspension changes for these cars.

An XV front system with front brakes is around $7,750 and I haven't even gotten it to my front door yet. Sure, it's probably as good as it gets today, but that is a significant amount for the small market that exists. I can buy what Hotchkis has today for the front for about $1,600, rebuild the steering box for $400 and put $1000 in front brakes [~$3,000]. I can take that box of parts, install it over a weekend and go be pretty-darn competitive. Somewhere along the line someone has to be convinced to spend 158% more to go to XV.

What can you do to convince that small market your product is worth "X" amount more?
What will you have to convince that small market you are better than Option A or B, your direct competition?

I know my post wasn't warranted, but I wanted to throw it out there...

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105810
07/07/16 06:33 PM
07/07/16 06:33 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By CJD AUTOMOTIVE

If you're looking for some inspiration, the 73+ B bodies had the upper control arm and shock mounts as part of the k-frame. With that system, relocation would be easier IMO.

Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2105831
07/07/16 07:17 PM
07/07/16 07:17 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
I can buy what Hotchkis has today for the front for about $1,600, rebuild the steering box for $400 and put $1000 in front brakes [~$3,000]. I can take that box of parts, install it over a weekend and go be pretty-darn competitive.

You have many great points Goody I agree as well.

I have done this and my `Cuda only handles as good as my beater Corolla. I drive my muscle car not because its faster around a corner but rather its more fun and satisfying driving a slow car fast. For precision handling I drive my S2000.

Another reason I stuck to stock type suspension besides cost is because of the durability. I would like to see a Mopar with an aftermarket tubular K frame setup survive all the jumps the black 68 Charger does in the movie Bullit and only then will I be impressed.

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2105839
07/07/16 07:29 PM
07/07/16 07:29 PM
Florida
CJD AUTOMOTIVE Offline OP
mopar
CJD AUTOMOTIVE  Offline OP
mopar

Florida
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Just an observation from an Engineer with an MBA that likes to go fast as much as the next guy...

You are essentially doing what XV did to some extent, from what I can see. The history that I know was they went belly-up and were bought-out from a previous employer. They aren't necessarily today's hottest suspension manufacturer with product flying off of the shelves....again, from what I can see at this vantage. Maybe they are and I am just not aware.

With that in mind:

The number of people racing Mopars is very low.
The number of people racing Mopars at a highly-competitive level to necessitate drastic suspension changes is far lower.
The number of people getting into racing Muscle Cars is not necessarily booming either.

The target market here is minuscule, unfortunately. Basic business practices will tell you with that low of volumes, the cost will be high, margins will be low and it may not be as successful as you suspect. XV offers, to some extent, what you are talking about doing...and honestly...I can't remember the last time I have seen someone comment about owning an XV suspension system.

You may be trying to solve a problem that there is no sustainable market for. twocents

The key here is bang-for-buck, walking the supply/demand curve to increase volumes. There has to be a target cost and level of variation you can withstand, you can easily hit a pricing threshold that will scare away the majority of those even looking at major suspension changes for these cars.

An XV front system with front brakes is around $7,750 and I haven't even gotten it to my front door yet. Sure, it's probably as good as it gets today, but that is a significant amount for the small market that exists. I can buy what Hotchkis has today for the front for about $1,600, rebuild the steering box for $400 and put $1000 in front brakes [~$3,000]. I can take that box of parts, install it over a weekend and go be pretty-darn competitive. Somewhere along the line someone has to be convinced to spend 158% more to go to XV.

What can you do to convince that small market your product is worth "X" amount more?
What will you have to convince that small market you are better than Option A or B, your direct competition?

I know my post wasn't warranted, but I wanted to throw it out there...

You are 100% correct. I am building a setup for just one customer, so unfortunately, he absorbs the design and fab cost. He is fine with that. I am just trying to determine if I want to build a production jig or a simple one off jig to build his parts. If I do the production jig and had a few people that wanted one, I'd cut my customer a little slack on price and spread it out evenly. This is Mopar stuff. I know there will never be a large market, and more importantly, not much profit. I'm fine with that. Doing this kind of stuff and working on the older cars really has no bearing on my main business, so call it. "just for the fun of it". I have NO intentions of going into the suspension business, just as I have NO intentions of ever doing another LX conversion. I did it, it was cool, and I'm done. If I make just the one, I'm happy.

Last edited by CJD AUTOMOTIVE; 07/07/16 07:32 PM.

Craig Scholl
CJD Automotive, LLC
Jacksonville, FL
www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com
904-400-1802

"I own a Mopar. I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification"
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2105924
07/07/16 10:14 PM
07/07/16 10:14 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
The MBA is correct on a few points, except the problem I saw was with XV was over marketing, mainly they promoted their system as being super fine tuned with more post testing then I can count, but when it came down to it, a lot of the system were generic, you can't have "finely tuned suspension" that fits every car, and costs a small fortune, and then get defensive with your market when they want some technical answers. twocents

I believe there is a market for high end niche clientele. The MBA will kick in when the development costs are absorbed in the initial prototype, and the solution then can be offered to an increasingly wider market as production slowly ramps up and costs decrease. Keeping it pricey does make it more desirable in many cases. It costs more, it must be better, can't wait till my tax refund check shows up mentality.

The best feature hopefully, is better performance. The downside, it can't be a universal solution to fit everyone's combination, and if does, it will be a big compromise, and just join all the other garage produced RMS iterations over the past decade.

What I am feeling here, this will be the real deal, by someone that is willing to follow thru. And the more its attempted to be copied by others, all the more proof it is the real deal. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2107184
07/10/16 09:24 AM
07/10/16 09:24 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
I would like to see the ability to use the z06 calipers and rotors, so custom spindles that would accept the Brembo Calipers and carbon fiber rotors...saves a lot of weight and mega stopping ability. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: What do you want in a tubular K-frame? [Re: CJD AUTOMOTIVE] #2107960
07/11/16 03:54 PM
07/11/16 03:54 PM
LA
racerjoe Offline
racerjoe  Offline

LA
I know the XV uses some "corvette" type parts, but I'm not sure of the extent. How about designing something that could utilize the C5/C6 UCA & LCA along with the spindle and brakes. This opens the door to unlimited aftermarket brakes and rotors. It also allows standard auto parts store replacement parts if needed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2