St. Louis
I
Imrare Offline OP
enthusiast
Imrare  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

St. Louis
Since completing the OE restoration of my AAR Cuda, I inquired into several firms producing T/A exhaust systems for my AAR Cuda. My goal was to purchase a system as produced by Chrysler (or as close as possible). I elected to choose a vendor that boasted about their product being licensed by Chrysler, that prototypes had been sent to Chrysler for approval, and this system was "dead on". I ordered the complete system, head pipes, mufflers, exhaust pipes/tip, hangers, etc. I was very disappointed in what I received. Immediately it was clear from looking at the head pipes that this wasn't OE as none of the "flats" that Chrysler put in the original pipes for clearance purposes where present. Next, the mufflers, while having the Chrysler logo, 2-70 date code, and a part number embossed on the muffler, they were not the correct font, correct placement, and the logo was much larger than the original. Plus, my "original" muffler had no part number embossed on the body of the muffler. Most disconcerting of all was the fact that the muffler was not even dimensionally correct, they were shorter and more narrow than the original Chrysler muffler. Next, the tail pipes did not have the correct length of hanger bracket (upside down "L" shape) welded to the tip. My original bracket was 1 3/4 inch from the top of the chrome tip to the top of the hanger bracket, this on is 1 5/8. 1/8 doesn't sound like much but when installed on the car it made constant contact with the torque box. I could go on about the muffler hangers and muffler straps being different from original, but I have a two part question. First, has anyone else experienced this type of quality control in other products licensed by Chrysler? And second, does anyone know of a vendor that is making a "correct" AAR exhaust system? I've been told by a couple of vendors that only one company makes these exhaust tips and mufflers and I just have to make do with what they produce. Is there any truth to that? NOTE: the picture of the muffler strap on the muffler is the "original" strap and hanger on the "licensed" muffler.

muffler compare.jpgMuffler end.jpg
Last edited by Imrare; 05/11/16 01:44 PM.
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071437
05/11/16 01:56 PM
05/11/16 01:56 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
I think licensed just means that they paid to use Chrysler's name, logos, and part numbers. I doubt that Chrysler/fiat cares how accurate the parts are as long as they get their money.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: GomangoCuda] #2071484
05/11/16 03:13 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Originally Posted By GomangoCuda
I think licensed just means that they paid to use Chrysler's name, logos, and part numbers. I doubt that Chrysler/fiat cares how accurate the parts are as long as they get their money.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

Plus I hate these posts that show all this stuff being wrong but not saying who the vendor is, how does that help the hobby???
Since it's an AAR/TA exhaust I'll guess and say Dales Cuda Shop???
Ron

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071485
St. Louis
I
Imrare Offline OP
enthusiast
Imrare  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

St. Louis
From what I'm finding I think you must be right. I am surprised that Chrysler would allow their name to be used on sub-standard parts though because, in the end, it seems like it would hurt the Brand?

Is anyone making any OE AAR exhaust?

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071501
05/11/16 03:44 PM
05/11/16 03:44 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Originally Posted By Imrare
I am surprised that Chrysler would allow their name to be used on sub-standard parts though because, in the end, it seems like it would hurt the Brand?

laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

...oh, you were serious ?

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: GomangoCuda] #2071503
05/11/16 03:46 PM
05/11/16 03:46 PM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
Originally Posted By GomangoCuda

iagree

In my opinion, Chrysler doesn't care about correctness. They only want the cash. Going back to the mid-90's I've dealt with various orgs for Chrysler licensing, and while they change from time to time, it's about the $$$$$, not correctness. So, there is a lot of slack on what they'll accept. For what it's worth while I worked at Year One, I also dealt with GM. They were similar. The money they make on licensing products is a rounding error for them compared to new vehicle/product sales. So, it doesn't get the attention most car guys would like.

Different vendors take the correctness of their product differently. Some care greatly, some not so much. That's why some licensed stuff is nice and some not. It's at the discretion of the vendor, not FCA. Again, just my opinion.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071506
05/11/16 03:51 PM
05/11/16 03:51 PM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!

Its a TRAP!
Is it Chrysler? Or FIAT that owns the rights?

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2071548
05/11/16 05:05 PM
05/11/16 05:05 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
is this a Dave Walden/ECS baiting thread?

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071558
05/11/16 05:19 PM
05/11/16 05:19 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

Just an opinion here.....Good grief.... Im not sure what people expect in a "reproduction" part.

Ask yourself this.... As we age if we got fake hair, dental implants, ect....is it ever like the org. set? Nope.....

Ask yourself why perfect NOS parts are at a premium? Because there is nothing like what was produced in that era...

I can count on one had the number of reproduction parts that seem like production parts and thats only until you put one next to the other.

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Porter67] #2071574
05/11/16 06:00 PM
05/11/16 06:00 PM
Lakewood, WA
R
rick@laysons Offline
mopar
rick@laysons  Offline
mopar
R

Lakewood, WA
popcorn

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Porter67] #2071577
05/11/16 06:05 PM
05/11/16 06:05 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
I pulled my new B body glovebox out of the bubble wrap to take a look last weekend and had to laugh. Right on top was the authorized Mopar Restoration Parts sticker. I looked at the piece of junk and just shook my head. In the words of the great wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, Rod Tidwell, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!"

I wish I could help you. Nothing worse than spending the hard earned cash and coming up with crap.

I’m listening.
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071659
05/11/16 08:18 PM
05/11/16 08:18 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Whether its an exhaust system, a Tee shirt or a mouse trap, Chrysler doesn't give a rats a$$. State the product, pay the licensing fee and stick the logo on it. Accuracy, originality, etc is not a requirement.

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071828
05/12/16 12:41 AM
05/12/16 12:41 AM
ontario calif
N
ns1aar Offline
super stock
ns1aar  Offline
super stock
N

ontario calif
From what I'm finding I think you must be right. I am surprised that Chrysler would allow their name to be used on sub-standard parts though because, in the end, it seems like it would hurt the Brand?

Is anyone making any OE AAR exhaust?

I have not seen one yet

NS1AAR
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071838
05/12/16 12:58 AM
05/12/16 12:58 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Welcome to the world of repop parts...You're a little late to the game...Nothin like opening that box just to find your money being sucked out of your wallet for something less than you're expecting....
The buyer is under the illusion that a "licensed by -----" part underwent some kind of accuracy check or quality control...And you would'nt be wrong to ASSU ME that should be the case...Unfortunately it does'nt hold true..All that title does is give Ma some money and the manufacturer banking on that title selling more parts...And don't forget the "licensed" manufacturer can cry to Ma about someone selling a part that's unauthorized wether it's actually a better part or not...

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: OzHemi] #2071845
05/12/16 01:19 AM
05/12/16 01:19 AM
Long Island, NY
shocktrp Offline
super stock
shocktrp  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By OzHemi
I am surprised that Chrysler would allow their name to be used on sub-standard parts though because, in the end, it seems like it would hurt the Brand?

laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Imrare] #2071860
05/12/16 02:01 AM
05/12/16 02:01 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Most repo parts I have bought have gone in the trash.

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: RJS] #2071870
05/12/16 02:14 AM
05/12/16 02:14 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted By RJS
Plus I hate these posts that show all this stuff being wrong but not saying who the vendor is, how does that help the hobby???

Because they are too afraid of...............what I do not know? shruggy

A group of sticky threads for A, B, C, E-body etc. inferior parts listings/rants has been asked for over the years on here and nobody will do it.

Would sure save the rest of us some money and make some useless vendors unemployed where they belong. twocents

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: shocktrp] #2071931
05/12/16 10:06 AM
05/12/16 10:06 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By shocktrp
Originally Posted By OzHemi

laugh2 laugh2 laugh2

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha............. it's a legend alright !
beer

Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Grizzly] #2072141
05/12/16 05:45 PM
05/12/16 05:45 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Originally Posted By Grizzly
Originally Posted By RJS

A group of sticky threads for A, B, C, E-body etc. inferior parts listings/rants has been asked for over the years on here and nobody will do it.

Would sure save the rest of us some money and make some useless vendors unemployed where they belong. twocents

I think it's much needed and would save people a ton of money and trouble but I think Tom won't do it because things will get REAL divisive REAL quick. It would have to be very strictly maintained, regulated and documented because folks would be taking shots at products and vendors who might be current or future members or advertisers on Moparts.

I could see a forum dedicated to rating parts, vendors and services providers. The biggest financial loss on my car project came at the hands of a transport guy that used to advertise here. I would appreciate a forum that would keep my story available so as to save anyone else the grief.

I’m listening.
Re: Does "Licensed by Chrysler" really mean anything? [Re: Big Bad Bee] #2072212
05/12/16 07:53 PM
05/12/16 07:53 PM
Eau Claire, WI
Charger727 Offline
super stock
Charger727  Offline
super stock

Eau Claire, WI
Originally Posted By Big Bad Bee
Originally Posted By Grizzly
Originally Posted By RJS

I think it's much needed and would save people a ton of money and trouble but I think Tom won't do it because things will get REAL divisive REAL quick. It would have to be very strictly maintained, regulated and documented because folks would be taking shots at products and vendors who might be current or future members or advertisers on Moparts.

I could see a forum dedicated to rating parts, vendors and services providers. The biggest financial loss on my car project came at the hands of a transport guy that used to advertise here. I would appreciate a forum that would keep my story available so as to save anyone else the grief.

Almost every junk aftermarket part comes from a single manufacturer - blaming the vendor does nothing since they have no choice if someone wants to buy the part

Best thing a good vendor will do is take it back no questions asked

I've tried to buy a 70 B-body rallye dash woodgrain set for years - Yearone, Classic Industries, Mr.Moparts - all ranged from total junk to complete junk - all "Official" restoration parts - clearly all from the same manufacturer

Page 1 of 2 1 2