Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: RapidRobert] #2071185
05/11/16 12:19 AM
05/11/16 12:19 AM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
Turn off the television, that is the biggest waste of time on the planet. Like has been said before, take baby steps, until you are running. Then you'll sprint to the finish line. You can do it, I did. My car sat for years, until I realized I wasn't getting any younger and it would get sold after I died.

Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: RapidRobert] #2071216
05/11/16 12:50 AM
05/11/16 12:50 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
I bought 14 sticks of 20' lengths for $7 per stick, with a good bender, It flows really good because the radius is right. I also have a bunch of parker fittings from the hydraulic shop so that is why the solid line. I also have to do a #3 return line, the racepumps pressure regulator has an idle bleed that need to return to the tank, so its a second line that I have to figure out how to run. Tim

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
just me I would want the easier to bend fuel line (I'd never do the hard stuff again)

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: AndyF] #2071225
05/11/16 01:06 AM
05/11/16 01:06 AM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
Originally Posted By AndyF
This is going to sound obvious but you basically just have to start the job before you can finish it. And you have to keep going, one part at a time. It sounds dumb, but most projects stall out because people stop working on the car. If you aren't working on it then it won't get done.

If you can get up the energy to complete one task then post it on here and get some positive feedback and then that will give you the energy to do the next task.

If you run into a problem just take some pictures and post a question on here and you'll get answers.

If the task is too big then reduce the task. Put the car back together as a driver even if the interior isn't perfect and/or the body isn't perfect. Then you can drive it to shows and stuff and somewhere along the way you'll run into someone who can help you finish off the stuff you don't know how to do.

Andy nailed it...
Mine was once a completely stripped unibody with not one bolted on bracket or bolt in it...I bought it to strip and part out but it was just too solid to cut it up...little by little it all went back together...5 years later it was done...

Before 1.JPG4 Carlisle 2013.jpg

...FAFO...
Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: astjp2] #2071411
05/11/16 12:43 PM
05/11/16 12:43 PM
france
J
jose jones Offline
super stock
jose jones  Offline
super stock
J

france
I bought a clapped out 69 RR years ago for 800 bucks, It had 2 sets of GTX taillights with it, I needed the taillights. was going to just make a Friday night drags beater out of it, The steering column was held up with licence plate screws! I started fixing stuff and before you know it....

I tubbed the car for slicks realizing the car should have gone to the crusher and being in to deep, I took a deep breath and decided to concentrate on one item at a time, The secret is work on the car sometime every week,

The car will get done. Steve Hinckley at the Dodge Dealer on 21st S.State in Salt Lake is a good source for info on finding guys to do your interior etc. Steve is the parts manager. As for the clapped out 69 RR, It was featured 3 times in Car Craft when I got it complete

Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: skicker] #2071648
05/11/16 07:57 PM
05/11/16 07:57 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Originally Posted By skicker
Originally Posted By AndyF
This is going to sound obvious but you basically just have to start the job before you can finish it. And you have to keep going, one part at a time. It sounds dumb, but most projects stall out because people stop working on the car. If you aren't working on it then it won't get done.

If you can get up the energy to complete one task then post it on here and get some positive feedback and then that will give you the energy to do the next task.

If you run into a problem just take some pictures and post a question on here and you'll get answers.

If the task is too big then reduce the task. Put the car back together as a driver even if the interior isn't perfect and/or the body isn't perfect. Then you can drive it to shows and stuff and somewhere along the way you'll run into someone who can help you finish off the stuff you don't know how to do.

Andy nailed it...
Mine was once a completely stripped unibody with not one bolted on bracket or bolt in it...I bought it to strip and part out but it was just too solid to cut it up...little by little it all went back together...5 years later it was done...

I like Andy's post too. I'm 5 years in on mine and it started out as a rolling, painted shell. It got bombed by a hail storm on delivery. The guys on this site got me through it. Everyone here knows me. I ask questions about EVERYTHING. I show progress pictures and get feedback. I share my acquired knowledge with others who are a step behind me doing their car. When I have run into big headaches, guys have stepped up and sent me correct parts. I will be turning the key this spring on mine.

1. Do something EVERY DAY. Making lists and asking questions count.
2. Put the parts in front of you. I do as much as I can on my kitchen table!
3. Organize sections and assemblies together in your garage and hang them up together. Get stuck on one assembly? Move to another. Just keep moving!
4. Don't overthink things. Keep it simple.
5. Decide what's important and spend money there.
6. Doing it your self saves money but takes time. Know when it's best to just pay.
7. Resto Rick's list is REALLY GOOD! Use it.

I’m listening.
Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: astjp2] #2071669
05/11/16 08:53 PM
05/11/16 08:53 PM
Niwot, CO Formerly denn...
dynorad Offline
mopar
dynorad  Offline
mopar

Niwot, CO Formerly denn...
Here's how mine started and how it ended. I have pictures of most of the intermediate steps. There was a point where I thought I would not finish.
If you have the option take it in small bites (unlike me)

Dennis Car Before.jpggtx sm.jpg
Re: I want to finish my car and dont know where to start... [Re: astjp2] #2071890
05/12/16 03:27 AM
05/12/16 03:27 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Tim,

First off is to get the car 100% finished with paint.

Second is identify where you want the project to go. It sounds like this is more of a resto-mod restoration than an OE Restoration. We need to know that to so we can advise where to go.

You are saying that it is a roller. Does that mean it still has the front and rear suspension in it? Do you plan on removing those and restoring them?

As pointed out RestoRick's list is a great reference.

If you need mentoring help you can email me and I can help you ID what needs to get done next. It's not that hard.

Morty

Page 2 of 2 1 2