03/29/16 12:07 PM
03/29/16 12:07 PM
Proud South
A
a440plus6 Offline
a440plus6  Offline
A

Proud South
I pondered whether to let this thread die or respond and decided the latter is the way to go to explain my reaction to the OP.
I have been restoring Mopar parts for the public for 35 years but have been restoring the cars for over 40 years….yea…I’m an old codger now.
I am an original founding member of the judging criteria for the Platinum Judging at the Mopar Nationals and Chryslers At Carlisle…that means…we wrote the judging rules/criteria for the highest judging standards in the Mopar Hobby.
Our group had been restoring Mopars for years and did it without all the choices in reproduction parts that are available today.
We had to run down NOS parts and pay the price or restore our original pieces if we lucky enough to still have them.
I have not advertised my services for 30 years and have many of the top resto shops in my customer base now for those 30 years because of the quality and correctness of my services and the no BS way I do business.
Since I have been restoring parts for the hobby for so long that I know all the parts on these cars very well and know the pitfalls to restoring each one of them.
We will take a 2 Speed Wiper motor for example….If you want me to restore a mid 68 thru 74 2 Speed….I MUST talk to you on the phone before you send it so I can make you aware of the problem areas that are not included in the base cost of a restoration.
On a 2 Speed the main problem is RUST PITTING.
If the customer sends it I disassemble it and if it’s not going to be a high quality finish I contact the customer with their options of which they can choose.
OP was made aware of the problem and chose to go with what was there so that’s what I did and after it was finished I sent him pics so he could see the finished product and make any changes before I shipped it.
It appears to me that when he received it he had buyers remorse and contacted me and I gave him the option to send it back and pay for priming and sanding it to a show finish which usually costs about $100.00.
I guess he chose to come on this site and attack my integrity which is not a good thing when it’s BS.
I’m old school and if you hit me….and I’m in the right….I’m gonna hit you back….HARD….cause I don’t have time to be out defending BS.
I am a professionally run business and pride myself on extreme high quality product that leaves my shop but in the end….it’s the customers decision…I’ll paint it white with pink polka dots if you want….it’s your car and you can do anything you want with it.
I’m not into this mamby pamby crap or here to hold your hand unless you are new to the hobby and need help with knowledge.
I’m not here to listen to you cry poor mouth and listen to you whine about prices and try to beat me down.
I give you the options….you make a choice and the deal is done.
Who else out there gives you a LIFETIME WARRANTY as long as you are the original purchaser of the service?
I can do that because of how anal I am and the familiarity with ALL the components on these cars.
I am retired and continue to do this for money to fund my hobbies as are most of the old timers that have been around for 35 or 40 years.
When I talk to them…they tell me they are getting out of the hobby more and more often because of the “entitled” attitude that some people display.
It’s a shame that it’s happening at the pace it is but I get where they are coming from after having to defend myself one more time in a TOTALLY BS POST.
Thanks
Jerry

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #2041378
03/29/16 08:13 PM
03/29/16 08:13 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
i ain't got no dog in this fight
but i do see a few disturbing things
that have me shaking my head!

all i know in business 101....

and this is how we roll on the job every day

number 1 the customer is always right
number 2 when the customer is wrong,he is still right!

you attract alot more flies with honey then piss vinegar.
if you sucked it up and told this guy
i will do whatever it takes to make you happy no charge on me.
it was my fault we had a communication break down and
i will take care of it.

this is how we roll on the job
and guess what?
after 25 years,never,ever one single complaint
and enough referral work that there is no need to advertise!

if you were like what i just said,
i just might of been inspired to dig out a 2 speed and use your service
but now i think if there are any issues that might come up
what will happen to me?
do i get a free public berating if something goes wrong and
there is a break down with communication between us?

putting your dirty laundry out in public for all to see
is not a good idea..

if you want to berate me for saying what i think
go for it
better have tried before and um... laugh2

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #2041401
03/29/16 08:43 PM
03/29/16 08:43 PM
Proud South
A
a440plus6 Offline
a440plus6  Offline
A

Proud South
I wouldn't expect to have any trouble with a customer like you because is sounds like you are a reasonable person.
Sorry though....customers are not always right and like I said...I'm old school.
That does not mean I won't bend over backwards to help you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3