Moparts

2 Speed wiper motor restoration ?

Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 05:28 PM

Does anyone do the 2 Speed wiper motor restorations anymore ?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 06:22 PM

Passion4mopars....Kim, Moparts Sponsor, front page
Posted By: steve70

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 07:35 PM

Kim doesn't do 2 speeds any more. They refer you to Concourse Creations in Florida. DO NOT use them. Absolutely horrible work. I paid for a complete restoration and got new hardware.

Attached picture IMG_20150709_172832329.jpg

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 07:37 PM

Here's another

Attached picture IMG_20150709_172723887_HDR.jpg

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 07:47 PM

One more

Attached picture IMG_20150709_172809702_HDRsmall.jpg
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 08:49 PM

YIKES ! Thats a pitted mess !! I could do better myself !I have the same problem of a very rusty pitted case . I think I will try to find a better core to restore.
Posted By: Wagonman1967

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 08:54 PM

What Steve said about Concourse is correct. I ordered a 2 speed bushing for the arm to wiper trans, not even close. Dang that motor looks like crap.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 08:58 PM

Here's the same motor after I repainted it. He put no effort into the restoration.

Attached picture IMG_20150721_172113329_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20150721_172136357_HDR.jpg
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By steve70
Here's the same motor after I repainted it. He put no effort into the restoration.

No effert and probably charged full price too

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By THESHAKERPROJECT

You can contact Bruce Somer here http://www.ns1aar.com/home.html
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 10:45 PM

Its an unfortunate thing today, but it is very hard to find anyone and or pay someone to do something correctly. In almost every case of paying someone to do something for me I either had to redo some aspect of it or all of it. With that said there are a few good business/services I have dealt with, but I would spend time to do google searches on any vender and if there are multiple problems with them my advice is stay away.
Matt
Posted By: a440plus6

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 10:53 PM

Dude, you got what you paid for.
I explain to every 2 speed customer that if the exterior is pitty that it can take nly be fixed with prime and fill due to the contours of the case, which I do for time and materials.
If you were not happy why did you not contact me and say so.
I would have told you to send it back and pay the time and materials to prime and sand.
So if you are a lazy POS it's not my fault.
No reason to go on a forum and trash me.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/22/16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By a440plus6
I explain to every 2 speed customer that if the exterior is pitty that it can take nly be fixed with prime and fill due to the contours of the case, which I do for time and materials.
I would have told you to send it back and pay the time and materials to prime and sand.

You told me the wiper motor would look better new when I shipped it to you but I was very disappointed when I got it back. I did contact you (still have all the emails) and you wanted to me to spend even more money on top of what I paid. realcrazy

I can't believe you shipped a product like that and thought it would be OK. If you contacted me ahead of time and said you needed a little extra cash I would have gladly paid. You call me a lazy pos but your the one that got paid and didn't do the job you said you would. I managed to get a decent paint job on the motor so I guess you're the lazy pos. I didn't trash you, I posted pictures of the quality restoration work that you do so I'll let people draw their own conclusions.

I've dealt with many vendors in the hobby and have always been treated fairly. Congratulations Jerry, you're the first one to rip me off. Have a nice day.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 03:53 AM

If you're interested, I have a BRAND NEW one for sale. You can spray it matte black yourself. A whole lot cheaper than a "resto" !!!

Attached picture DSCF4428.JPG
Attached picture DSCF4429.JPG

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 04:00 AM

Quote:

This is a load of crap. People in the resto business buy up cores for parts to ensure that the unit they ship out is "as new" or "factory fresh". If you're shipping anything short of this you're not a serious player. Could you just imagine sending a busted up heater box to a restorer and getting back the same piece of junk only its nice and clean or they haven't repaired or replaced the leaky core !!! Doesn't happen. Clean up your act or get outta Dodge !! And by the way ... your products should be priced accordingly. One price - one level of quality ... "factory fresh".
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 06:40 AM

or somerbr1 at aol.com

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 01:55 PM

Dude, quit spewing crap and post the emails with dates.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 02:27 PM

Dude, quit spewing crap and post the emails with dates.

Here you go. The pictures I posted are what you refer to as an "acceptable standard". A lot of members post pictures of items they receive from vendors that exceed their expectations. I posted pictures of what I received from you and only because the op was looking for a vendor. I didn't want him to make the same mistake as I did.

It was within acceptable standards according to just about all that come thru here. If they are excessively pitted instead of mildly I do contact the customer to let them know that it will not look good.
Yours was of average quality of what comes thru here.
I made you an offer to remedy the situation.
Regards
Jerry

On Jul 9, 2015 4:26 PM, " Stephen" <Stephen_xxxx.com> wrote:
I wish you had explained your procedure or at least notified me when you received the motor because I was expecting a “concourse” restoration. I know you’re not in the auto body field but it should have been fill primed and sanded before final paint.

From: Jerry Schmit [mailto:concourscreations2014@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 12:57 PM
To: Stephen
Subject: RE: Wiper Motor

You motor had light rust pitting which I can't do anything for but if you find a core that is up to your standards I will be glad to do that one and take the other one as a core.
Thanks
Jerry

On Jul 9, 2015 12:52 PM, " Stephen" <Stephen_xxxx.com> wrote:
Jerry,
I just received the wiper motor and have to say I’m disappointed with the paint finish. I expected it to be smooth and glossy like a new unit.
I definitely will not put it on my restored car as is and will have to repaint the motor.

Steve

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 9:41 AM
Subject: Wiper Motor

Steve, here is a couple of pics of your restored wiper motor.
USPS Priority Shipping_9405511699000944943626
Thanks
Jerry
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 02:56 PM

I restored my 2 speed motor myself. It wasn't very hard to do, but I did need to fill pits with a high build primer. I separated the motor from the gear section and had a local electric motor repair business check out the motor. The motor and gear section were reassembled with pop rivets and then I filled the centers in to make them look like a solid rivet. It can be difficult to track down the original rubber mounting isolators. The rebuild process is easy.

Attached picture PICT2205.JPG

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc
I restored my 2 speed motor myself. It wasn't very hard to do, but I did need to fill pits with a high build primer. I separated the motor from the gear section and had a local electric motor repair business check out the motor. The motor and gear section were reassembled with pop rivets and then I filled the centers in to make them look like a solid rivet. It can be difficult to track down the original rubber mounting isolators. The rebuild process is easy.

The motor looks great. After I had to take mine apart to repaint it I also realized there's not much to a 2 speed motor so most people could restore one themselves.
Posted By: p4m

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 04:00 PM

Quote:
This is a load of crap. People in the resto business buy up cores for parts to ensure that the unit they ship out is "as new" or "factory fresh". If you're shipping anything short of this you're not a serious player. Could you just imagine sending a busted up heater box to a restorer and getting back the same piece of junk only its nice and clean or they haven't repaired or replaced the leaky core !!! Doesn't happen. Clean up your act or get outta Dodge !! And by the way ... your products should be priced accordingly. One price - one level of quality ... "factory fresh".

I have no dog in this fight, but I thought this required some comment. Restorers do look for cores, all the time, decent cores, which are getting harder and harder to find. We do this for instances where a persons component is pitted or borderline unrestorable. Those instances where the time it would take to get it to acceptable standards outweighs the cost of the restoration. However, we don't, or I don't, willy nilly substitute my good inventory for a bad core. You can't stay in business doing that. I try to explain to my customers that I can't just substitute my good core components to put out a great motor for them and keep the crappy pitted stuff for my next customer, that's unfair. If I give my good core components which I've spent my time and money to find to everyone that has cores that are extremely pitted what do I end up with? Crappy unrestorable inventory. I'll offer it as a substitute at a reasonable price and more often than not I'm glad to have it on my shelves for an instance like a motor that's been in a fire where there's nothing left to restore and I don't have to send my customer hunting the internet or forums or bone yards for another core. But I do have to ask that customer to cover my cost of the core. My time spent attempting to locate and obtain cores is my living. As much as I hate to say it, the old addage "time is money", is truth.

You simply would not believe what comes through a restoration shop as a core someone wants restored. I have cores I can't get into, cores that the screws break off when you attempt to remove them, ruins a housing when that happens and now who replaces that housing? I sometimes spend several hours total attempting to break down a core to save it for my customer. That's several hours I could've been doing something far more productive. It throws a restorer off a time line, puts them behind on their other work and eats up precious time and materials.

I've seen Jerry's work for years and believe me, what was posted here is NOT his "norm". He's probably one of the most anal people I know on his components. That being said, I try not to judge someone's restoration career on one component I've seen posted. We all have off days and we all have those instances where a person is insistent that their pitted core comes back like the day it was new. We're restorers, not miracle workers. While that particular core could've looked better and I wasn't privvy to the communication between the OP and Jerry prior to or after that particular restoration, perhaps there was a miscommunication between the two and "acceptable standards" is a relative term. To one it means one thing, to another it means something else. It appears photos of the finished motor were sent via email. Was there nothing said about the condition prior to shipping? I'm asking because I don't know.

Moral of the post? Don't expect your restorer to replace the crap core you picked up on ebay that someone said was restorable with their good core components without question and without reimbursement for their time and effort. That's just not realistic.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 06:04 PM

You motor had light rust pitting which I can't do anything for but if you find a core that is up to your standards I will be glad to do that one and take the other one as a core.
Thanks
Jerry

Ok, I see....so far I'm guilty of informing you that your core was a pos too....do I have that right?
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 06:11 PM

I will add this to the mix as well. Communication from both parties when doing business is a MUST! Explain what your goals or level of restoration are when having work done. With that said people in Business should also take a little time to call and say this or that during the process if there are questions that come up.
Also don't say upfront that it will take 3-4 week to do the work when you know it will take 3-4 months. If it is going to take 6 months to do say 6 months. If and when stuff comes up and I know it does and will take 5 minutes to call or email and explain the situation at hand. Poor communication makes for poor results in most cases.
Matt

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 06:40 PM

Thanks
Jerry

Ok, I see....so far I'm guilty of informing you that your core was a pos too....do I have that right?

That was AFTER you shipped it to me and I contacted you. AS I stated "I wish you had explained your procedure or at least notified me when you received the motor because I was expecting a “concourse” restoration. I know you’re not in the auto body field but it should have been fill primed and sanded before final paint."

I was able to get a decent paint job on there so what's your excuse? When I stripped the paint it looked like you just sprayed over the finish without any sanding or priming. You also cracked the connector when you tightened it and instead of replacing it you super glued it together. And when I took the motor apart to repaint I also noticed that you didn't machine the brush area of the stator. So for $245 I got 3 bushings and new brushes. As you said in the email the quality of the wiper motor was within "acceptable standards" for you.

I will let the pictures of your finished product speak for themselves.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 09:22 PM

Everytime I send something out to be restored, I take a LOT of pictures. Reason is just to make sure I get my original parts back but the part numbers, date codes, condition, etc is the same. On the restorers end, I'd want him/her to do the same when it is received. Then discuss and mutually agree what is to be done. Restorers should take pictures of the final product before being shipped back to the owner. Any questions or discrepancies on either end can be ironed out then. Like mattsMopars said COMMUNICATION is key. I don't know if it was done in this case, probably not enough, just saying.

BTW- The first pictures posted of the motor, unacceptable to me. No, not trying to bash anyone
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/23/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc

(Bullseye...)
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 02:50 AM

I had Jerry do my 3-spd wiper motor many moons ago and it was flawless......

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By 71rm23
Everytime
BTW- The first pictures posted of the motor, unacceptable to me. No, not trying to bash anyone

Unacceptable to me also but that was all the cheap a** wanted to pay for so I let it fly.
I offered to replace his case for $50.00 which is way less than prime and fill cost but he wanted me to give it to him free.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 03:33 PM

when I took the motor apart to repaint I also noticed that you didn't machine the brush area of the stator. So for $245 I got 3 bushings and new brushes. As you said in the email the quality of the wiper motor was within "acceptable standards" for you.

1-Dude, it's called a commutator and apparently you know nothing about DC motors.
A Mopar 2 speed motor has no stator.
2-All you got was 3 bushings for MY OLD PRICE?
Where did the new ballast resistor and bracket come from?
What about the the firewall to motor seal?
Where did the new mounting hardware come from?
I guess the new ground strap just magically appeared also.
Did you split the case to see what's inside?
If your switch was cracked when you got it it was cracked when I got it.
Please post a pic of this terrible crack.
Posted By: mopar4don

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 03:38 PM

Does anyone know of a "HOW TO" link to restore the wiper motor?

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By 71rm23
Everytime

Unacceptable to me also but that was all the cheap a** wanted to pay for so I let it fly.
I offered to replace his case for $50.00 which is way less than prime and fill cost but he wanted me to give it to him free.

You never offered to replace anything for $50. You said I could send it back to you and you would charge me time + material to repaint or I could find a different core to restore. I had already paid you $250+shipping for a restoration that you said would look better than new.I was not willing to let you give it another "try".

You never contacted me to say there was an issue before you shipped and once I contacted you after I received it you said "It was within acceptable standards according to just about all that come thru here. If they are excessively pitted instead of mildly I do contact the customer to let them know that it will not look good. Yours was of average quality of what comes thru here."

We can go round and round with this but you shouldn't be upset because you got your money and I lost. At least now other members can make up their own minds on how you conduct your business and a few pictures of what you consider acceptable quality.

Have a nice day.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 04:57 PM

Why is this thread you started in the A12 forum?
No A12 ever came with a 2 speed wiper motor.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 05:49 PM

It is for general restoration questions as well. Moparts Restoration and A12 Forum
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By ns1aar

or somerbr1 at aol.com

Bruce has done several 2 and 3 speed motors for me. Easy to work with for sure.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 07:39 PM

I sent a 3 speed wiper from the 67 cuda I have been working on to Kim and she didn't have the early cans for this wiper but sent it over to Jerry who had it and restored it for me. I was just as impressed with that one as I was with the 69 3 speed she did for another car.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/24/16 11:04 PM

Quote:

Now the guy's a forum nazi !!

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/25/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

Dude, you have a dog in this?
You're just one of Jules old butt buddies...
You gonna come at me too.
I am under no illusions why this thread was started in the A12 forum....cause it's a tribute forum to Jules.
You morons were so transparent when he was alive and still are.

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/25/16 03:23 PM

It was the same forum before he died !!

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/25/16 03:47 PM

Personally, I think this is a done subject. Time to stick a fork in it now. I don't think badgering each other about this needs to go on this forum
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/25/16 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

Dude, you have a dog in this?
You're just one of Jules old butt buddies...
You gonna come at me too.
I am under no illusions why this thread was started in the A12 forum....cause it's a tribute forum to Jules.
You morons were so transparent when he was alive and still are.

jerry

while I like your work you did for me and understand your frustrations IMO the way you are going about it is doing your business no good. Time to back off and cool off then reply with a level head. it will only help you rather than hurt. just vmy .02

good luck
corey

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/29/16 04:07 PM

I pondered whether to let this thread die or respond and decided the latter is the way to go to explain my reaction to the OP.
I have been restoring Mopar parts for the public for 35 years but have been restoring the cars for over 40 years….yea…I’m an old codger now.
I am an original founding member of the judging criteria for the Platinum Judging at the Mopar Nationals and Chryslers At Carlisle…that means…we wrote the judging rules/criteria for the highest judging standards in the Mopar Hobby.
Our group had been restoring Mopars for years and did it without all the choices in reproduction parts that are available today.
We had to run down NOS parts and pay the price or restore our original pieces if we lucky enough to still have them.
I have not advertised my services for 30 years and have many of the top resto shops in my customer base now for those 30 years because of the quality and correctness of my services and the no BS way I do business.
Since I have been restoring parts for the hobby for so long that I know all the parts on these cars very well and know the pitfalls to restoring each one of them.
We will take a 2 Speed Wiper motor for example….If you want me to restore a mid 68 thru 74 2 Speed….I MUST talk to you on the phone before you send it so I can make you aware of the problem areas that are not included in the base cost of a restoration.
On a 2 Speed the main problem is RUST PITTING.
If the customer sends it I disassemble it and if it’s not going to be a high quality finish I contact the customer with their options of which they can choose.
OP was made aware of the problem and chose to go with what was there so that’s what I did and after it was finished I sent him pics so he could see the finished product and make any changes before I shipped it.
It appears to me that when he received it he had buyers remorse and contacted me and I gave him the option to send it back and pay for priming and sanding it to a show finish which usually costs about $100.00.
I guess he chose to come on this site and attack my integrity which is not a good thing when it’s BS.
I’m old school and if you hit me….and I’m in the right….I’m gonna hit you back….HARD….cause I don’t have time to be out defending BS.
I am a professionally run business and pride myself on extreme high quality product that leaves my shop but in the end….it’s the customers decision…I’ll paint it white with pink polka dots if you want….it’s your car and you can do anything you want with it.
I’m not into this mamby pamby crap or here to hold your hand unless you are new to the hobby and need help with knowledge.
I’m not here to listen to you cry poor mouth and listen to you whine about prices and try to beat me down.
I give you the options….you make a choice and the deal is done.
Who else out there gives you a LIFETIME WARRANTY as long as you are the original purchaser of the service?
I can do that because of how anal I am and the familiarity with ALL the components on these cars.
I am retired and continue to do this for money to fund my hobbies as are most of the old timers that have been around for 35 or 40 years.
When I talk to them…they tell me they are getting out of the hobby more and more often because of the “entitled” attitude that some people display.
It’s a shame that it’s happening at the pace it is but I get where they are coming from after having to defend myself one more time in a TOTALLY BS POST.
Thanks
Jerry
Posted By: flypaper

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/30/16 12:13 AM

i ain't got no dog in this fight
but i do see a few disturbing things
that have me shaking my head!

all i know in business 101....

and this is how we roll on the job every day

number 1 the customer is always right
number 2 when the customer is wrong,he is still right!

you attract alot more flies with honey then piss vinegar.
if you sucked it up and told this guy
i will do whatever it takes to make you happy no charge on me.
it was my fault we had a communication break down and
i will take care of it.

this is how we roll on the job
and guess what?
after 25 years,never,ever one single complaint
and enough referral work that there is no need to advertise!

if you were like what i just said,
i just might of been inspired to dig out a 2 speed and use your service
but now i think if there are any issues that might come up
what will happen to me?
do i get a free public berating if something goes wrong and
there is a break down with communication between us?

putting your dirty laundry out in public for all to see
is not a good idea..

if you want to berate me for saying what i think
go for it
better have tried before and um... laugh2

Re: 2 Speed wiper motor restoration ? - 03/30/16 12:43 AM

I wouldn't expect to have any trouble with a customer like you because is sounds like you are a reasonable person.
Sorry though....customers are not always right and like I said...I'm old school.
That does not mean I won't bend over backwards to help you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums