02/26/16 05:08 PM
02/26/16 05:08 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline OP
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline OP
master
F

Who's to say they are even making or having any made at all at this point.
This was a 2011 block and probably the last of a batch or a bad batch at that.
I know it takes mad capital, time consuming to make jigs/molds for such ventures, but if you are half way there or there at all, why not make good quality work and control and be a proud supplier be you a huge conglomerate or a small independent outfit.
This is why off shore companies are having a laugh at us and waiting in the wings to give us even more crappy stuff.

PS. I know quite a few brand X guys that are in the closet about their respect and love of the Pentastar kind and would love to build, own and race 'em, but all this hooplah plus huge long waits hearing crickets without reason keeps them exiting at stage left.
I know this happens within other camps as well, but to a certain degree, not as much or rampant. At least they have a whole host of options and stock.

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: earthmover] #2020327
02/26/16 05:14 PM
02/26/16 05:14 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
As far as the HP blocks go, if you're skeptical, I'd wait until he had them in stock and ready to ship before committing. He said they should have a good supply by the middle of the year.
I have zero experience w/ them, I just got curious this morning and gave them a call. up

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2020329
02/26/16 05:19 PM
02/26/16 05:19 PM
F
master
master
F

This is why I respect the Elephant man and your collective efforts to keep the tusks pearly white.

This kind of stuff is enough to give someone HEMIroids.

All kindin' aside, I love the sound of a Behemoth both in civil street trim and in all outlandish thug mode.
"Haven't been passed, till you've been passed by a Hemi" as they say.
Pertaining to another thread on here, people ask me in bazaar why so light weight conscious. I answer: "Keep it light and with a relatively stock block, you can have fun in the sun"
Though this is the first decade that my car has actually seen Sun, it was a night crawler for some time. LOL.

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2020347
02/26/16 05:51 PM
02/26/16 05:51 PM
Canada
Kam*Kuda Offline
master
Kam*Kuda  Offline
master

Canada
FHO forhemisonly is another good option
http://www.forhemisonly.com/

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1968 Satellite Street Strip car
1654.5 Mustang
1955 Land Rover
Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: an8sec70cuda] #2020393
02/26/16 07:28 PM
02/26/16 07:28 PM
Norwich CT USA
Defbob Offline
master
Defbob  Offline
master

Norwich CT USA
Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I actually just got off the phone w/ HP Performance and they ARE making blocks. They got restarted recently after being down for a couple years after their initial launch...that was the last I'd heard and didn't know they were up and running again.
The blocks are aluminum, hemi or wedge, tall deck or low deck. None in stock b/c they go out as fast as he gets them in. Should have more available to ship in about 3 weeks and hopefully by mid year he'll have a bunch in stock ready to ship...that's the goal.
VERY nice guy to talk to and from everything I've heard about their blocks, I would not hesitate to use one.
HP Performance 865-310-7513

Sure seems like a good thing w/ KB being tough to deal with lately and Indy being, well, Indy.

HP Performance is investing in STEEL molds for his blocks this spring. They are expensive but will be very durable for long production. I have both a Hemi and a 440 block coming in.

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: an8sec70cuda] #2020396
02/26/16 07:31 PM
02/26/16 07:31 PM
Norwich CT USA
Defbob Offline
master
Defbob  Offline
master

Norwich CT USA
As far as the HP blocks go, if you're skeptical, I'd wait until he had them in stock and ready to ship before committing. He said they should have a good supply by the middle of the year.
I have zero experience w/ them, I just got curious this morning and gave them a call. up

When I get mine in will be a good indication when he's ready to fill orders. I post as soon as they show up. I hope it will be soon!!

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: Defbob] #2020457
02/26/16 09:54 PM
02/26/16 09:54 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Got of the phone with Mopar and they have said that the G2 blocks are in production again. Should be available in a couple of months. shruggy
Was asking about the R3 and G3 blocks and he had nothing but told me aboiut the G2. Matt

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: an8sec70cuda] #2020544
02/27/16 01:25 AM
02/27/16 01:25 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA

I just listed one in the classified section, if anyone is interested.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2020671
02/27/16 12:10 PM
02/27/16 12:10 PM
Huntsville, AL
A
Airwoofer Offline
mopar
Airwoofer  Offline
mopar
A

Huntsville, AL
I was on the phone with Ken at KB the other day getting the info on the lifter angle on my low deck block. This is 20 years after Hardesty bought it. I have gotten great customer support from Ken.

I mentioned how upset folks on Moparts are for the long waits and he took the time to 'splain how the company that made the cores had been screwed by the EPA and they had to change their process, which was causing porosity in the block which does not show it's ugly mug until well into the machining process. He said they have fixed that problem and that blocks are coming out better than ever. Anybody wanting a alum block should call him and give them a chance.

And he seemed interested in making a alum SB - he didn't know about the Ritter block.

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2020741
02/27/16 02:23 PM
02/27/16 02:23 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Bob George has supplied more blocks to Moparts members than all others mentioned combined. I have never heard of a single complaint. that is hard to beat. He is accessible nearly 24/7 for questions and takes care even of the smallest problem himself.

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2021817
02/29/16 12:41 PM
02/29/16 12:41 PM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
Yes sir, Mopar is still making them. New one in my basement (P5153942AC), ordered through the local dealership. Only real issue I had was the threads on the external oil pickup, not a big deal though.

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2021890
02/29/16 03:06 PM
02/29/16 03:06 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
What is it with these blocks recently cast going out into the market place with porous, core shift and or hairline cracks?

Back in 2012, a friend of mine purchased a brand new Mopar Hemi block from Chrysler for his Hemi Super Bee project. His receipt indicates that the (Quality control or lack thereof)cleared the block and gave it a clean bill of health to be sold in 2011.

He's finally been able to acquire all the part$ needed along with the fund$ to build the bad boy through a reputable Hemi builder here and now finds out that the block is a mess.

So what gives?

Is he stuck with it all?

He still has his purchase receipt from the dealer that he bought it from.

Is this what most new Hemi builders are facing these days along with hideous stories of aftermarket suppliers/casting facilities not delivering on their promises?

Is there such a hole in the supply and demand that one has to look for a stock old seasoned block with his/her fingers crossed?

Gee, short from just giving up on the hobby, my friend has now hinted on just going with an old seasoned and standard Wedge.

What a shame we face in this day and time. The fact that we as a unique brand can't get a decent honest to goodness BLOCK and a date in this century to actually receive it.

He bought it in 2012 , more than likely he is SOL , MP has NO WARRANTY on Race parts ... Good Luck to him.

What is wrong with it ???

Seasoned blocks are an unknown, most are used up race engines that are usually decked a lot making it a pain trying to fit new heads and intakes to.

If he finds an original that was not raced it will be $$$$$$ because of it's restoration value.

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: JohnRR] #2021941
02/29/16 04:45 PM
02/29/16 04:45 PM
Wi.
old_racer Offline
pro stock
old_racer  Offline
pro stock

Wi.
Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
What is it with these blocks recently cast going out into the market place with porous, core shift and or hairline cracks?

Back in 2012, a friend of mine purchased a brand new Mopar Hemi block from Chrysler for his Hemi Super Bee project. His receipt indicates that the (Quality control or lack thereof)cleared the block and gave it a clean bill of health to be sold in 2011.

He's finally been able to acquire all the part$ needed along with the fund$ to build the bad boy through a reputable Hemi builder here and now finds out that the block is a mess.

So what gives?

Is he stuck with it all?

He still has his purchase receipt from the dealer that he bought it from.

Is this what most new Hemi builders are facing these days along with hideous stories of aftermarket suppliers/casting facilities not delivering on their promises?

Is there such a hole in the supply and demand that one has to look for a stock old seasoned block with his/her fingers crossed?

Gee, short from just giving up on the hobby, my friend has now hinted on just going with an old seasoned and standard Wedge.

What a shame we face in this day and time. The fact that we as a unique brand can't get a decent honest to goodness BLOCK and a date in this century to actually receive it.

He bought it in 2012 , more than likely he is SOL , MP has NO WARRANTY on Race parts ... Good Luck to him.

What is wrong with it ???

Seasoned blocks are an unknown, most are used up race engines that are usually decked a lot making it a pain trying to fit new heads and intakes to.

If he finds an original that was not raced it will be $$$$$$ because of it's restoration value.

about 3yrs ago I built a hemi for a friend, he bought the block new 6yrs prier from a chry dealer, it took him awhile to save (young family) for the rest of it, any way we got it all together and while priming it on the engine stand a chunk of casting blew out in the back of the block by one of the oil passages below the cam, [ Moparts Family Site - Keep it Friendly ]? anyway he went back to the dealer and they call Mopar Performance , they gave them my name and they called me for the details , I sent them many pictures etc. he questioned the time span and I said not everyone can afford shell out the cash all at once when you're a young father and family, after two months of screwing around back and forth they gave him a new world hemi block! had to send the other one back and they picked it up from my shop. I was supprised to say the least.
Russ

Re: Hemi Blocks on the chopping block? [Re: old_racer] #2022087
02/29/16 08:52 PM
02/29/16 08:52 PM
F
master
master
F

This sounds promising being that my friend never even assembled the block at all. It had been in the crate all this time and He has his receipts.
Hopefully Chrysler is smart and fair and replaces this bad block. The machinist even said it should not have left the foundry at all after the so-called inspection.
Thank God they found the problem before Mr Murphy's Law would had.

Page 2 of 2 1 2