fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline OP
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Going to change a few things in the dart this winter and adding a brake with neutral clean. I called PPP and they are tellin me a lot of guys are going with a forward pattern shifter with a reverse valve body, Anyone running one like that here? any feedback? Seems confusing to me to have a reverse valve body and forward pattern shifter. shruggy

104_0887.JPG

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962514
12/03/15 05:14 PM
12/03/15 05:14 PM
VA
VPofGreen Offline
VPofGreen  Offline

VA
That is what we just put in, but have not had a chance to test on track yet. He can build it either way for you, shift pattern just depends on where the cable comes in. If I recall correctly, the "issue" with the pull to shift is related to the cable having to loop back around for the rear exit on the shifter base. He talked me into forward as well. Since I didn't have experience pulling to shift anyway, I went that way. Nice piece and I had it within a week.

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962592
12/03/15 07:10 PM
12/03/15 07:10 PM
Tucson AZ
MR AZ70RUNR Offline
MR AZ70RUNR  Offline

Tucson AZ
I just installed the same shifter in my car, went from a PPP front exit front cable enter on the trans to a front exit rear cable enter. Having Park at the rear of the shifter is a little odd at first but, no big deal. Haven't had a chance to try it yet(other than up and down the street). You will probably have to get the trans bracket for the rear enter cable. IIRC it was like $30.00. I am a big fan of the PPP shifters.

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: MR AZ70RUNR] #1962630
12/03/15 08:17 PM
12/03/15 08:17 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
I run a T/A cheetah RVB with a forward pattern gate, I actually prefer it since the 1-2 detent can't accidently go into High which seems to be one of the general complaints of the RVB pattern. The 1-2 has a positive stop (shift it as hard as you like and you can't miss) and the spring loaded gate swings out for the 2-3. the 2-3 is usually a bit more leisurely than the 1-2 so I never felt any disadvantage.

What I dislike about a RVB is you wind up two gears from neutral once you're in high and coasting through the traps for the turn-off. But that may not be the case with the PPP

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962654
12/03/15 09:12 PM
12/03/15 09:12 PM
Columbus, OH
B
Ben Holt Offline
mopar
Ben Holt  Offline
mopar
B

Columbus, OH
If you have a reverse manual valvebody, this is how I sell it....

If you are going to manually shift it all the time, get a "push" pattern shifter. Cable comes out the front of the shifter, into the back of the trans. High gear is away from you and Park is closest. Just a nice bump of the shifter to upshift.

If you are going to pneumatically shift it, get a "pull" pattern. Cable comes out the rear of the shifter. Park is forward, High is closest to you. Just a quick 2-3 is all you need in the burnout, and it's a little more natural.

For every one of the "push" pattern shifters I sell, I sell 10 of the "pull" patterns, but either way you can't go wrong with a PPP

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962657
12/03/15 09:18 PM
12/03/15 09:18 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Online content
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
My KS 2 is a push pattern, rear exit cable and front entrance on the trans. I was told this was the only way I could get it.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962794
12/04/15 12:24 AM
12/04/15 12:24 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
rear exit at shifter, rear entry at trans, reverse pattern w/t air, clean N..... and a lil tip, IMHO the bracket for the cable mount at the transmission for the rear entry cable from PPP sucks! I'll give you mine if you want it, but I'll show you the simple way I did it....

fabbed up a bracket similar to this out of aluminum. Dropped it with a customer of mine that welds aluminum. He also meticulously restores BSA motorcycles and couldn't bear to work on a hacked piece and fabbed this up for me from mild steel smile

the bracket from PPP bolts on using the pan bolts and gets in the way of a CSR shield belts.

Last edited by J_BODY; 12/04/15 12:00 PM.
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962796
12/04/15 12:29 AM
12/04/15 12:29 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
...this was the PPP rear cable entry bracket. I cut the corner of it as it was close to my header muffler, and cut a slot in it to run the shield belt through. I "would have" worked, but the way I have it now I can service the trans without disturbing cable position. Like I said, it's laying in my scrap bucket and I think they bilked me of $30 for it. I also have a "chassis" type shifter mounting bracket that I should have used instead of ordering the $$$ chrome ones.

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962800
12/04/15 12:33 AM
12/04/15 12:33 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
....and you're not the only one that has called PPP ready to buy and hung up thinking your head was going to explode laugh2

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: Ben Holt] #1962823
12/04/15 12:59 AM
12/04/15 12:59 AM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Originally Posted By Ben Holt

If you are going to manually shift it all the time, get a "push" pattern shifter. Cable comes out the front of the shifter, into the back of the trans. High gear is away from you and Park is closest. Just a nice bump of the shifter to upshift.

If you are going to pneumatically shift it, get a "pull" pattern. Cable comes out the rear of the shifter. Park is forward, High is closest to you. Just a quick 2-3 is all you need in the burnout, and it's a little more natural.

For every one of the "push" pattern shifters I sell, I sell 10 of the "pull" patterns, but either way you can't go wrong with a PPP

Is it too late to make the GTX a 4 speed car so I don't need to deal with this??????

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: Streetwize] #1962867
12/04/15 02:12 AM
12/04/15 02:12 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By Streetwize
I run a T/A cheetah RVB with a forward pattern gate, I actually prefer it since the 1-2 detent can't accidently go into High which seems to be one of the general complaints of the RVB pattern. The 1-2 has a positive stop (shift it as hard as you like and you can't miss) and the spring loaded gate swings out for the 2-3. the 2-3 is usually a bit more leisurely than the 1-2 so I never felt any disadvantage.

What I dislike about a RVB is you wind up two gears from neutral once you're in high and coasting through the traps for the turn-off. But that may not be the case with the PPP

Wize do you have to push the shifter forward to shift with that setup or does it still pull back towards you ? Thanks , Ron

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: Streetwize] #1962907
12/04/15 03:10 AM
12/04/15 03:10 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN

Mike is going with a clean N t-brake P-N-1-2-3-N. I also used my old T/A Cheetah shifter with this set up and probably the same gate you have Wise. Just happen to be at the right place at the right time and this PPP air shift came up for sale. I really like it!

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962923
12/04/15 03:44 AM
12/04/15 03:44 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Gee I wonder how that PPP deal came to be smile

IMO rear exit rear entry is the best way. Push or pull is a preference thing. I have had both and prefer push if I am actually shifting it smile

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1962939
12/04/15 05:16 AM
12/04/15 05:16 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
Sooo, I've heard you want to be able to click clean neutral after the stripe when running aluminum rods. Other than that, is there any other reason not to just leave it in high gear on shut down? Been doin' it for a while now. Not super fast, mid 10s. Running a forward pattern manual vb now but planning to install a trans brake vb "without" clean neutral and just throw the reverse pattern plate in my Pro-Stick shifter and call it a day...Am I under thinking it shruggy

Those PPP shifters sure are sweet lookin' though...

Sorry for the side step hi-jack Mike xmaseek

Sworn Member Central Valley MoPar Drag Pack. You can reach me at (done-et-chasing@going-rounds.gone)... :-)

[img]https://s6.postimg.org/v3mbggksx/SAC16.jpg[/img]image hosting more than 5mb
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: markz528] #1963007
12/04/15 11:52 AM
12/04/15 11:52 AM
Columbus, OH
B
Ben Holt Offline
mopar
Ben Holt  Offline
mopar
B

Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By markz528
Originally Posted By Ben Holt

Is it too late to make the GTX a 4 speed car so I don't need to deal with this??????

I would prefer you did that Mark....hahaha. Real men use 3 pedals

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1963010
12/04/15 11:56 AM
12/04/15 11:56 AM
Columbus, OH
B
Ben Holt Offline
mopar
Ben Holt  Offline
mopar
B

Columbus, OH
I've never had a problem with the rear trans entry bracket and the CSR shield. You can slide the belt through the linkage, tie it back with a few tie straps and it works like a charm. I have had to grind it for the TTI-style headers that are super close to the trans. But grinding on the bracket a little is a million times better than clearing the headers to come in the front of the trans, like every other shifter out there

For the one with the KS-2, it is their "ecomony" model and does not allow for rear trans entry. The KS1 and PS1 (pneumatic) are able to enter the trans from the rear

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: Streetwize] #1963035
12/04/15 12:43 PM
12/04/15 12:43 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky

I do the same thing with my JVX (Winters) shifter. It's a front exit, rear trans entry, gated shifter that uses the tab on the trans and a bracket similar to the one J body uses. When I had a forward pattern VB in the trans sometimes on the 1-2 shift I'd go 1-3 with it being spring loaded. Now with the reverse pattern VB I've never missed the 1-2 shift, straight back for 1-2, then over and back for the 2-3, works for me.

There have been a couple times I almost bought used PPP shifters but just couldn't pull the trigger.

Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: Ben Holt] #1963108
12/04/15 02:16 PM
12/04/15 02:16 PM
Mesa, AZ
B
Bill_T Offline
mopar
Bill_T  Offline
mopar
B

Mesa, AZ
So - I think I want to swap a TB, clean neutral, air operated, rear exit, rear entry Powershifter for a forward pattern (TA LBA manual VB) rear exit, rear entry Kwik Shift I (no air shift, no TB). I need PN 434 with rear exit option?. Shifter currently in the car looks just like J-body's, don't want to use brake right now....

This space not for rent.
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: MoParFish] #1963278
12/04/15 06:23 PM
12/04/15 06:23 PM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline OP
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Not going to be runnin aluminum rods but engine builder said its going to rev a little higher and would be better on the engine not to pull it down on the other end and would help it live longer. My last engine didn't come apart for 6 years or so, I'd kinda like to leave it that way cool

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: PPP shifter, forward or reverse pattern? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1963585
12/05/15 03:30 AM
12/05/15 03:30 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
As with any build Ben..... always something different. Looking at the OP's picture in his post (Mike) I'm betting with the way his collectors are positioned the PPP rear entry bracket will be A-ok. My car has a tube K and no torsion bars, but the collector and bullet mufflers are still pretty close to the trans. That's where I ran into issues, and assumed that anybody with under chassis headers and god forbid.... torsion bars, would certainly run into issues. Either way, make a simple bracket as I did, and you can still drop the trans pan without having to mess with the shifter. Here's what I saw as I was trying to do the install (had to dig in the scrap pile to find one of those yuccy big block cases smile ) This is basically how the strap on the CSR shield would have to be installed with the bracket "As is".

had another pict with a pan installed, but you get the drift. Cable runs over the strap and strap runs over the bracket. Yes.... interference with the N safety switch, but no prob... the shifter will have the features needed so you can basically plug this hole.

In my situation, or the TTI user as you noted, you are going to need that strap tucked close to the trans. This is where a little minor trimming can get you the room. This bracket is solid as delivered (should have gotten a "before" pict). I cut the corner off the bracket, and then the slot to accommodate the CSR shield strap:

once that was done, the strap can be routed through the bracket which still allows it to run under the shift cable... even more so with the slot.

Either way.... the PPP is a dang nice shifter and I hope this aids someone with some helpful insight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2