Big Island ,VA
J
JC Childress Offline OP
mopar
JC Childress  Offline OP
mopar
J

Big Island ,VA
What tricks are there in prepping a std 360 block for drag racing only ? I have heard there are some oiling mods that basically are just drilling some holes. I am open for any and all suggestions, for a Super Stock type engine.

J.C. Childress (434) 665-9541
Re: Std 59 Degree SB block prep [Re: JC Childress] #193138
01/14/09 12:06 PM
01/14/09 12:06 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Some things to consider. Expected rpm range and flat tappet or roller cam. Hydraulic or solid cam. If you go with a hydraulic you will have to have some pressurized oil going to the lifters, solids will work fine with splash from the cam valley. Make sure all the 1/2 in passages really are 1/2 in. Drill [ 9/32 ] the oil passages from the 1-4 mains to the lifter gallery. A little careful blending in the main saddles where the oil passages come together wouldn't hurt. Take your time and be careful drilling the 9/32 passages and use cutting oil [ATF works fine]. If you break a drill bit here it will mess up your whole day big time. In drilling the 1/2 in. passages you will have to remove the 9/16 plug separating the oil going to the oil filter from the oil exiting it. This passage should be drilled to a point just above where it intersects the lifter gallery. This plug MUST be replaced. If I was planning to turn high rpm I would bush the lifter bores. The 59* blocks are RPM limited and anything you can do to help is worth it IMO. You can also block the lifter gallery with tubes, but they do nothing to correct the lifter geometry. If you go with a solid no oil holes in the bushings will be needed, hydraulics will need a small oil hole to pressurize the lifters. Most of this can be done easily at home, just take your time. Bushing the lifter bores is definitely a machine shop operation. There are additional mods that can and probably should be done for endurance engines, but this should be all you need. By the way don't forget the oil pump as well. Good luck.

Re: Std 59 Degree SB block prep [Re: 5spdcuda] #193139
01/14/09 12:20 PM
01/14/09 12:20 PM
Big Island ,VA
J
JC Childress Offline OP
mopar
JC Childress  Offline OP
mopar
J

Big Island ,VA
With all due respect ( and I really dont mean to be a smart aleck ) but I did say it was Super Stock engine, and they are all solid roller cams. I just know things change with new ideas and technology and I am curious what mods need to be done as far as the oiling system. I am appreciative for the ideas. Its a solid roller engine with like .445 lobe lift. It will also see some pretty high rpms.

Last edited by TopStock211; 01/14/09 12:22 PM.

J.C. Childress (434) 665-9541
Re: Std 59 Degree SB block prep [Re: JC Childress] #193140
01/14/09 03:45 PM
01/14/09 03:45 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
Sorry blew right past the Super Stock part, no offense taken. I've got a miserable head cold and I've only got 2-3 braincells firing instead of the usual 5-6. Bushing the lifter bores would be high on my list. Windage control is another area to address. One very successful bracket racer blocks off the cam valley except for the front where oil can drain back to the pan on deceleration. Valve train stability could be an issue. Roller lifters are taller than flat tappets and will use shorter pushrods [good], but the angle will be even worse. Higher ratio rockers should help the angularity if you can use them without getting into lift or rules problems. Rollers usually heat up the valve springs, so I would be careful about restricting oil to the heads.