Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted By Frankenduster
" Corporate greed has done us in finally."

Uhhh... this is a cheesy cop out I often hear from some people that vote a certain way. Waaaay to easy to play class warfare when you don't know the whole story.

Sometimes, not always, a large corporation moves their operations elsewhere when THIS countries elected officials impose too many regulations, restrictions, demands, conditions, etc. If you want to remain profitable, as a business, you often do what it takes to survive and remain competitive.
Once a major player outsources their manufacturing, it becomes even more difficult for their competitors to continue building stuff here.
I would LOVE to see more American made stuff. The middle class has suffered from the loss of American manufacturing, but blame for that can be found in many places.
Right. It's not greed, it's about surviving, and so many companies cannot survive here. All we do here now is consume frown

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: jbc426] #1902382
08/30/15 12:41 PM
08/30/15 12:41 PM
New Hampshire
R
Rick Ray Offline
Rick Ray  Offline
R

New Hampshire
I replaced one lower ball-joint from napa before going to Carlisle with the Cordoba.Have about 2500 miles on it and she is some loose.Going to see if they can get one thats made in the U.S.

Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: moper] #1902467
08/30/15 03:20 PM
08/30/15 03:20 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By moper
Many manufactures carry more than two seperate lines of product. A higher price point they will sell to jobber garages, and a lower price point they sell retail to complete with retail-based stores. Sometimes you have to ask for "the good ones" AT A PARTS STORE rather than look online for the cheapest place and have them shipped. I only buy Moog from Car QUest, or NAPA's jobber type parts. If you don;t ask for them the parts guys will assume you've been price shopping and give you the cheap crap that competes with the online and retail based parts places.

Not a ball joint but like you said, I bought a thermostat from Pep Boys awhile back, Stant, there where two hanging there, one for I think $3.50 the other $8.50 both Stant. You guessed it I bought the cheepy one and first time in use it didn't work. Went back and bought the other. I looked at both up close and could really see the difference in quality, never had any problem with better one. I guess we are all driven by that cheapest price mentality, and the manufacturers oblige us with junk.

Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: Rick Ray] #1902479
08/30/15 03:38 PM
08/30/15 03:38 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline OP
master
jbc426  Offline OP
master

West Coast, USA
Originally Posted By Rick Ray
I replaced one lower ball-joint from napa before going to Carlisle with the Cordoba.Have about 2500 miles on it and she is some loose.Going to see if they can get one thats made in the U.S.

FWIW: Both the boxes that these Moog parts came in have "Made in the USA" printed on them. There is no other information on the boxes indicating otherwise.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: jbc426] #1902485
08/30/15 03:45 PM
08/30/15 03:45 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Originally Posted By jbc426

FWIW: Both the boxes that these Moog parts came in have "Made in the USA" printed on them. There is no other information on the boxes indicating otherwise.

Probably the box was made in the USA. Getting harder and harder to actually tell where anything is made these days. Probably for the same reason some keep redefining language. When you get found out you hide it rather than fix it.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: jbc426] #1902487
08/30/15 03:48 PM
08/30/15 03:48 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
I was at John's home on Saturday while he was replacing the failed Moog ball joints on his 1968 Barracuda convertible. Took a good close look at them and their failure point. Also examined the boxes they had originally came in,,,appeared genuine. Did say made in USA.

They had almost completely pulled out of their sockets. It appeared as that only some type of moderate gauge like sheet metal material was used as the retainer to keep them securely in place, and this of course was not doing the job.

Had been out for a close to 75 mile ride with him on heavily trafficked 101 a couple of weeks of weeks ago. Shudder to think of what total failure during this ride might have entailed,,,let's just say we were not merely only going with the flow of traffic.

I suggested to him that he package them up and send off to the governmental National Highway Safety Board. NHTSB.

Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: jbc426] #1902494
08/30/15 04:03 PM
08/30/15 04:03 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I had some brand new upper ball joints that were not crimped correctly on top. So the whole ball joint was loose. You could see the top plate move. They did not have any ID stampings on them I recognized and did not look like the moog ones I have. They came with some aftermarket UCA's and the balljoints were replaced under warranty no problem.

IMHO, the parts from our cars are not high production items like the newer stuff these aftermarket companies make. So I bet they are made on old tooling and not given the attention their newer stuff gets. I also think Moog and other big companies may subcontract the lower volume stuff out to other manufacturers.

Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1902792
08/30/15 11:19 PM
08/30/15 11:19 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline OP
master
jbc426  Offline OP
master

West Coast, USA
Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
I was at John's home on Saturday while he was replacing the failed Moog ball joints on his 1968 Barracuda convertible. Took a good close look at them and their failure point. Also examined the boxes they had originally came in,,,appeared genuine. Did say made in USA.

They had almost completely pulled out of their sockets. It appeared as that only some type of moderate gauge like sheet metal material was used as the retainer to keep them securely in place, and this of course was not doing the job.

Had been out for a close to 75 mile ride with him on heavily trafficked 101 a couple of weeks of weeks ago. Shudder to think of what total failure during this ride might have entailed,,,let's just say we were not merely only going with the flow of traffic.

I suggested to him that he package them up and send off to the governmental National Highway Safety Board. NHTSB.

Of course, I have no idea to what he's talking about regarding the traffic flow.

Roger.jpg
Last edited by jbc426; 08/30/15 11:19 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Dangerous Product: Moog Ball Joints [Re: jbc426] #1903511
08/31/15 10:35 PM
08/31/15 10:35 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Originally Posted By jbc426
Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr

Of course, I have no idea to what he's talking about regarding the traffic flow.

Yes, I knew that already.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3