08/10/15 11:50 AM
08/10/15 11:50 AM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
This morning I had a little thought about the 1970 Challenger build I'm planning out. I definitely want to use the 440/512 EFI stroker motor, however, I'm still undecided about the transmission. The A518 or a 727 w/ GV are both good options, however, I wondered if it was remotely possible to use a built 545RFE transmission, provided someone made or could make a BB adapter for it, and I could find an aftermarket transmission control module? Or, possibly even crazier, I wonder if it'd be possible to use the brand new Torqueflite 8HP90, again with an adapter and control module? Does anyone know of any companies who do, or could do, what it would take to make this work? Or would I absolutely have to use a Gen 3 Hemi to make it work?

Re: An unusual (and possibly crazy?) idea [Re: Spartan040] #1889051
08/10/15 08:42 PM
08/10/15 08:42 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Anything can be done with enough money. The question is, how unlimited is your budget and calendar?

I'd suggest looking at one of the GM variants on the TH400, like 4L80E, TCI's 6-speed, etc. I bet the adapter and electronics cost less than half what it'd take to go with one of the trannies you mentioned.

R.

On second thought, the adapter might not be that hard, as it's basically adapting a LA bolt pattern transmission to an RB block.

Last edited by dogdays; 08/10/15 08:44 PM.
Re: An unusual (and possibly crazy?) idea [Re: dogdays] #1889059
08/10/15 09:05 PM
08/10/15 09:05 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Well that's good, my question now is how much tunnel surgery would I have to do to get the 545 to fit, and if it was built to handle the massive power I believe the engine will get, how well will it work.

Or, alternatively, it might be simpler to adapt the TCI 6 speed to work with the RB block or to simply use a GV kit on a 727 auto or an A518?

Re: An unusual (and possibly crazy?) idea [Re: Spartan040] #1889090
08/10/15 10:09 PM
08/10/15 10:09 PM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
The simplest method with the least amount of modification/fabricating is the Gear Vendors shortie kit that SMR sells. It's virtually a bolt in with only a small dimple in the floor pan required for speedo clearance.

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id33.html

Next would probably be as mentioned the GM 4L60 or 4L80 with an aftermarket controller but they would require not only an engine adapter or new bell but also they are larger around in the area that goes through the torsion bar crossmember so some modifications would be needed there. A number of companies build standalone controllers for these units.

The 545RFE and it's variants would probably require the most fabrication and effort to get working. Powertrain Control Systems makes controllers and harnesses for these but there would likely be a lot of research, testing and reprogramming to get it all working right plus like the GM transmissions, they would need crossmember modification to fit as they are quite a bit larger around in this area as well.

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.c...ion_Controller/

There's also the NAG1 transmission which is the Mercedes unit behind many 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis. Darius on the board here has a great thread on how he got one working in his car and also uses the PCS controller. I can't recall if he needed to do much modification in the crossmember area but I would suggest you go through his thread as there is a ton of good info there.

Re: An unusual (and possibly crazy?) idea [Re: PC-CHARGER] #1889150
08/10/15 11:12 PM
08/10/15 11:12 PM
Florida
S
Spartan040 Offline OP
Spartan040  Offline OP
S

Florida
Originally Posted By PC-CHARGER
The simplest method with the least amount of modification/fabricating is the Gear Vendors shortie kit that SMR sells. It's virtually a bolt in with only a small dimple in the floor pan required for speedo clearance.

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id33.html

Next would probably be as mentioned the GM 4L60 or 4L80 with an aftermarket controller but they would require not only an engine adapter or new bell but also they are larger around in the area that goes through the torsion bar crossmember so some modifications would be needed there. A number of companies build standalone controllers for these units.

The 545RFE and it's variants would probably require the most fabrication and effort to get working. Powertrain Control Systems makes controllers and harnesses for these but there would likely be a lot of research, testing and reprogramming to get it all working right plus like the GM transmissions, they would need crossmember modification to fit as they are quite a bit larger around in this area as well.

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.c...ion_Controller/

There's also the NAG1 transmission which is the Mercedes unit behind many 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis. Darius on the board here has a great thread on how he got one working in his car and also uses the PCS controller. I can't recall if he needed to do much modification in the crossmember area but I would suggest you go through his thread as there is a ton of good info there.

Awesome, I'd really appreciate if you or someone could give me a link to that thread?

Re: An unusual (and possibly crazy?) idea [Re: Spartan040] #1889209
08/11/15 12:23 AM
08/11/15 12:23 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
There are a couple threads here as well as For B Bodies only. Do a search here for NAG1.

Here's a couple links

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1881232/1.html

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1834208/1.html