Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876355
07/23/15 01:37 AM
07/23/15 01:37 AM
C
CDoering Offline
CDoering  Offline
C

I think the real advantage to CNC ported heads lies in the ability to model the heads and design them using CAD. You can model down to the finest details and repeat those details in every port. The top CNC shops are doing their design work in CAD and CNCing them.

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876362
07/23/15 01:52 AM
07/23/15 01:52 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Not sure what to make of this thread. Is the art of porting mainly based on some individual personal theories, with a prodigious amount of try and error on a flow bench? What happens when flow changes go down instead of up? If the art is slowly dying off, because of time and CNC, seems like the time for a well researched jointly written book, with chapters by each of the prominent willing head porters. Seems like the book would be able to be well priced if the secrets are shared by those in the twilight of their profession. The attraction to me would be reading all the different views, one, not so much. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: jcc] #1876375
07/23/15 02:05 AM
07/23/15 02:05 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline OP
"Little"John

PA.
Head porting will never be a fits all for each build like a cnc head forces on you. When sitting down with a customer with hand porting you can shape the port to work for different builds. Play with a head on the flowbench that was prepped for a stock class car and you will be amazed.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: jcc] #1876388
07/23/15 02:22 AM
07/23/15 02:22 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By jcc
Not sure what to make of this thread. Is the art of porting mainly based on some individual personal theories, with a prodigious amount of try and error on a flow bench? What happens when flow changes go down instead of up? If the art is slowly dying off, because of time and CNC, seems like the time for a well researched jointly written book, with chapters by each of the prominent willing head porters. Seems like the book would be able to be well priced if the secrets are shared by those in the twilight of their profession. The attraction to me would be reading all the different views, one, not so much. twocents

I can tell you there is more to head work than flow numbers. The shape of the curve, how the head responds to pressure changes, how the port does in direction changes......just to name a few.

I have done heads that flowed LESS when I was done that went faster. The port had issues. But because the original head guy was into big flow numbers he missed an important detail.

I also love to kill "low" lift flow. If you think about it for a bit it will make sense.

I'd write a book, but would you pay to read it??????????????

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876389
07/23/15 02:23 AM
07/23/15 02:23 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
[quote=pittsburghracer]Head porting will never be a fits all for each build like a cnc head forces on you. When sitting down with a customer with hand porting you can shape the port to work for different builds. Play with a head on the flowbench that was prepped for a stock class car and you will be amazed. [/quot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876392
07/23/15 02:28 AM
07/23/15 02:28 AM
C
CDoering Offline
CDoering  Offline
C

Good CNC shops can size the shape of the port based on engine design in the modeling software.

Check out Curtis Boggs Race Flow Developments web site or Facebook. I'm usually at his shop a few times a weeks and see this all the time.

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: CDoering] #1876421
07/23/15 04:58 AM
07/23/15 04:58 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Originally Posted By CDoering
Good CNC shops can size the shape of the port based on engine design in the modeling software.

Check out Curtis Boggs Race Flow Developments web site or Facebook. I'm usually at his shop a few times a weeks and see this all the time.

Curtis will usually CNC port one off heads as well

Alan Jones
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: LA360] #1876423
07/23/15 06:25 AM
07/23/15 06:25 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I have always felt any CNC port job should always be finalized with hand porting as to me the CNC gets the basic job but will never be as good as when finished with a pro's final hand porting. Now I thought if a good head porter has a CNC machine and can put his good port prgram in it then it would save the porter alot of work by doing most of the work and then the porter can finish them up to be just right. It would save the porter alot of time and work so he only has to finish the job up and put the final touches on it.
I bought my heads from Dwayne Porter and he did some porting on them but not a ton of work and I was happy to have him port them as I feel he is one of if not the best out there. But if he had a CNC machine and had it do most of the work where he just did the final touches I would not blame a person who does porting for a living to use the CNC machine as it would save them alot of time and as long as its there program and they finish the job to there specs then I can see why they would use it. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/23/15 06:25 AM.
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876427
07/23/15 08:16 AM
07/23/15 08:16 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
CNC can do 95+% of the work in less than 5% of the time, allowing humans to do that last little bit(if it's worth it) and focus on important things like improving the entire system.

Do people actually enjoy the numb hands, sore backs, picking shards out of skin and hours and hours spent grinding out the bulk metal before you even get to the part that requires brainpower?

It's not one or the other; it's both focusing on what they're better suited to. S/F....Ken M

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: EchoSixMike] #1876461
07/23/15 10:47 AM
07/23/15 10:47 AM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted By EchoSixMike
CNC can do 95+% of the work in less than 5% of the time, allowing humans to do that last little bit(if it's worth it) and focus on important things like improving the entire system.

Do people actually enjoy the numb hands, sore backs, picking shards out of skin and hours and hours spent grinding out the bulk metal before you even get to the part that requires brainpower?

It's not one or the other; it's both focusing on what they're better suited to. S/F....Ken M

I just can't see paying twice to get it right. I could see if you got a GOOD cnc product but I've tested lots and they just aren't doing a very good job. They sure look pretty. A good Friend of mine challenged me to race my small tire car with his 20,000 dollar small block Ford with the pretty cnc heads and he can't even out-run my Edelbrock headed small block. LOL. He hasn't been quite so mouthy lately but I have a hard time keeping a straight face around him.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876472
07/23/15 11:17 AM
07/23/15 11:17 AM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
John, I have really enjoyed this thread. Takes me back probably 10 years ago. When RyanJ and Fast68Plymouth AKA Dwayne Porter and others head porters had regular discussions on here about their work. Sadly not much of this goes on here anymore. What a loss for the younger guys. Jim

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876495
07/23/15 11:56 AM
07/23/15 11:56 AM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Thanks Jim. It gets kinda stale around here sometimes so I thought this would kinda be different. I was hoping Brett would stop in and give some input. He does some beautiful work and I would like to hear how his cnc program on W8, W9's stack up against ones he has hand ported. Track tested results are always my favorite.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: madscientist] #1876516
07/23/15 12:28 PM
07/23/15 12:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"I'd write a book, but would you pay to read it??????????????"

Absolutely, if there at least say 3? well known experienced proven porters contributing, anywhere from $100-250 a book. I also think different viewpoints are critical for the reader. Not sure if egos would allow a combined effort. That would be cheap info with the years of experience shared. Needs to be as textbook as possible, not a quick private library reading material read 3 pages at a time. However, I'm leery that the trial and error technique does not lend itself to printed page.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: EchoSixMike] #1876522
07/23/15 12:32 PM
07/23/15 12:32 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington

And here is the issue. You pay a 100% price for the CNC work and it's 95% (most time LESS than that). What Pittsburgh is seeing is exactly what I see.

Hell yes, if I could afford a CNC I would use it in a nanosecond. But I would FINISH the heads BEFORE they left me and not lie to the customer and tell him not to touch the ports.

I did read the interview with Larry Meaux (link is posted somewhere in the thread) and I have had 2 phone calls with him on surface finish. He said in the interview he has not done an A-B-A test on his finish. IIRC the interview is about 5 years old ands since then he has done SOME testing, but, IMHO, if he does not port at least 9 intakes to test, you really can't A-B-A them correctly.

I have tried to simulate (as close as possible) his finish and don't get the results he is seeing. Probably 5-6 reasons for that.

That's why you should find a head guy you can get along with, and do what he says.

CNC machines are nothing but computerized RE-production machines. As long as you understand a CNC finished head is still not finished, you'll be ok. You have a set of heads that have not reached their potential, but, by gar, they are CNC'd.

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: madscientist] #1876539
07/23/15 01:07 PM
07/23/15 01:07 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Books are nice, pictures are too but until you get you hands dirty and own a flowbench you are pissing in the wind. There are days when I grind and flow test a given head 10-15 times in one day. Tim Bowman Bowman Performance (a very accomplished head porter) and I were talking just last night about "short turn work and how your fingers play a BIG part in getting it right. I can honestly say I keep a pen and paper on my night stand as I often get up during the night and sketch something that came to me in my sleep. I will then apply it the next day to see if it works. I had to teach myself to try to visualize a port as a 3D object and port molding helped big time. Its great to be able to study something from every angle possible.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876707
07/23/15 06:23 PM
07/23/15 06:23 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I'm no pro but I did learn from 2 of the best..
the first guy did all of the Mopar pro stock stuff
back in the 70s.. he did all the heads for the Woodward garage
guys which was the hot rod shop for Chrysler.. the other guy
that I learned from... he taught.. this guy and me hired the
same day at Chrysler and became good friends and I asked a
ton of questions just to see if things had changed... he was
the one who designed the swirl chamber.... I still like playing
with it but I'll never do it for a living
wave

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: pittsburghracer] #1876759
07/23/15 07:44 PM
07/23/15 07:44 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Head porting will never be a fits all for each build like a cnc head forces on you. When sitting down with a customer with hand porting you can shape the port to work for different builds. Play with a head on the flowbench that was prepped for a stock class car and you will be amazed.
Here's what im not understanding from this conversation... why does a cnc have to be one size fits all? Why are cnc porters only using one specific port program on one particular head? I wrote over a dozen cnc programs just today. Are these guys lazy? I would have a whole list of different programs for each application if that was my bread and butter.

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: madscientist] #1876770
07/23/15 08:01 PM
07/23/15 08:01 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By madscientist

And here is the issue. You pay a 100% price for the CNC work and it's 95% (most time LESS than that). What Pittsburgh is seeing is exactly what I see.

Hell yes, if I could afford a CNC I would use it in a nanosecond. But I would FINISH the heads BEFORE they left me and not lie to the customer and tell him not to touch the ports.

I did read the interview with Larry Meaux (link is posted somewhere in the thread) and I have had 2 phone calls with him on surface finish. He said in the interview he has not done an A-B-A test on his finish. IIRC the interview is about 5 years old ands since then he has done SOME testing, but, IMHO, if he does not port at least 9 intakes to test, you really can't A-B-A them correctly.

I have tried to simulate (as close as possible) his finish and don't get the results he is seeing. Probably 5-6 reasons for that.

That's why you should find a head guy you can get along with, and do what he says.

CNC machines are nothing but computerized RE-production machines. As long as you understand a CNC finished head is still not finished, you'll be ok. You have a set of heads that have not reached their potential, but, by gar, they are CNC'd.

What's is the price difference between CNC and hand porting same head? As long as someone understands the difference with the end result before buying i don't see an issue. Now if you're worried if someone has reinvented the wheel, that has been around since day one, like I said before we all have to educate our customers so they understand what we have to offer. The CNC machine is nothing but a better tool thats quicker and offers repeatability which means lees money, not more, to charge the customer. Honestly I can't see how all eight ports could be the same with hand porting verses CNC( think of the surface area of the complete port,20-40 sq in). Now the final blending by hand is a no brainier, has to be done. Can you imagine making an engine, by hand, without using all the machines it takes

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: Hot 340] #1876790
07/23/15 08:36 PM
07/23/15 08:36 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Originally Posted By Smell Ya Later
... why does a cnc have to be one size fits all? Why are cnc porters only using one specific port program on one particular head?

It doesn't, and in some cases you'll find people who will offer different programs for the same casting, or different castings w/ application-specific programs to offer some options.

But those guys are working w/ either highly specialized racing applications and raw castings intended for custom porting... or deal in a part of the performance industry where there are far more people to offer a variety of heads to (SBC & SBF).

Re: CNC'd ported vs hand ported heads: Discussion, long post [Re: cudaman1969] #1876797
07/23/15 08:43 PM
07/23/15 08:43 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
... Honestly I can't see how all eight ports could be the same with hand porting verses CNC( think of the surface area of the complete port,20-40 sq in). Now the final blending by hand is a no brainier, has to be done...

Even my CNC'd Victors don't all flow the same (I've tested every intake port), simply because they're production castings w/ a certain level of core shift and have places where the CNC program doesn't touch each head exactly the same way.

The only way I'd expect a CNC'd head to flow exactly the same (give or take some small %) is if it starts w/ a raw undersized casting where the tooling touches basically every port & chamber identically. Any dropout means inconsistency, and applying a CNC program to any head already cast intended for use "as is" means that's a likely result.

Even then, I recall a porter who was doing a lot of CNC stuff w/ production based heads saying the final CNC'd version was a success if it flowed w/in some particular # of CFM of the hand-ported prototype which was digitized for the program. He didn't expect his own CNC'd heads to equal his hand-ported results, but it was a helluva lot faster to reproduce the basic port for mass consumption.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5