West Central Wisconsin
D
DeMopuar Offline OP
enthusiast
DeMopuar  Offline OP
enthusiast
D

West Central Wisconsin
I'm wondering if anyone has any factory assembly photos of the install of the rubber bumpers on Cudas? After helping someone with their install, I am really wondering how the factory did it, because it was a total bear....................

Also, wondering if anyone has factory assembly photos of installing the 1971 Cuda billboard stripe too? As well as installing a convertible top on any Mopar? I've helped someone with that too -- what a cluster........ I'm just wondering if there are any factory photos of how this was done. I also wonder if there is anyone around from that time that remembers doing this work; I would love to hear their comments on these tasks. I bet there was no love lost on some of these jobs for sure.

Mark

Re: Factory Cuda Rubber Bumper Assembly Photos [Re: DeMopuar] #1855045
06/23/15 10:28 AM
06/23/15 10:28 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
For the front bumpers, elastomeric or otherwise, IIRC they were preassembled on the brackets and then mounted to the car. Front valance would be off for this procedure, allowing 2 people to slide the bumper up and back into position.

The brackets for the front elastomerics have unique part numbers, but differ only slightly from the regular ones. Some other members may chime in here, but as I recall it's either slightly longer slots on the bracket-to-frame mounting area to allow better adjustment. The regular, chrome bumper brackets can be used successfully as the differences aren't that great. Rear bumper brackets are all the same, elastomeric or chrome.

As for the convertible top, the best instructions I've seen were published by Steve Dulcich in Mopar Muscle many years back when he replaced the top on his own '70 GC convertible. I don't believe that there's anything terribly special about the E-body tops relative to other convertibles and I've had good luck with competent upholstery shops putting on the replacements. About 8-10 hours of labour...

Re: Factory Cuda Rubber Bumper Assembly Photos [Re: YYZ] #1855046
06/23/15 10:29 AM
06/23/15 10:29 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario