05/14/15 01:47 AM
05/14/15 01:47 AM
Fort Lauderdale
Dave440 Offline OP
super stock
Dave440  Offline OP
super stock

Fort Lauderdale
Rebuilding my AVS but the little clips that attach the float to the needle don't seem like they want to stay in a good position. They MAY stay when the floats are hanging but the clips look precariously close to slipping under the float mounting pin when the carb top is upside down. I pulled an old AFB parts carb off the shelf to compare. The float body is the same size and shape but the rear tab that controls float drop is different and the little clips mount in a different spot. I tried to do the AVS the same way as the AFB but it's not possible.

I can't see another way the AVS clips might go and it seems that's how they were when I opened it up but one of the new clips already nearly slipped under a float pin. The clips in the new kit look the same as the old ones that are in the carb. Should I pinch them a bit so they fit tighter on the floats? Is there another style that works better or am I being unjustly concerned here?

I tried to refer to the instructions that came with the kit but those clips don't show up in the parts list or diagrams for AVS or AFB. It's been years since i rebuilt one and they just seem to loose to me.

AVS and AFB pics attached.

Thanks,
Dave

DSC00099-CARTER AVS.JPGDSC00103-CARTER AFB.JPG

Re: Carter AVS needle to float clip - does this look right? [Re: Dave440] #1826398
05/14/15 01:59 AM
05/14/15 01:59 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You could go a SLIGHT bit tighter but I think you are good as is & you want that assy to be loose/no chance of hanging up and swapping floats is a option

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Carter AVS needle to float clip - does this look right? [Re: Dave440] #1826552
05/14/15 01:07 PM
05/14/15 01:07 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
First off you may be ASSuMEing that neither carb was rebuilt BEFORE you opened them up , how are you determinin that? If they were rebuilt how do you know they used the same kits?

Next , does the AVS have a fuel starvation issue ?

The clip makes sure the needle comes off the seat as the fuel level drops in the bowl and the float drops. If the clips are not the same shape between the 2 carbs and the kit then they will not be able to be put in different locations as you can see.

Also make note that the floats are different , the AVS's arm that limits drop goes over the pin when inverted , the AFB under.

Also I'm 99% sure the AVS clip should be parallel to the float pin ... it would go across the tab that goes over the pin, that way it stays put.

Re: Carter AVS needle to float clip - does this look right? [Re: JohnRR] #1826937
05/14/15 10:42 PM
05/14/15 10:42 PM
Fort Lauderdale
Dave440 Offline OP
super stock
Dave440  Offline OP
super stock

Fort Lauderdale
Hi John, long time...

Yeah...I don't know if either carb was rebuilt in the past but I have had both open before and did run the AVS about a year ago. It seemed ok ...just a bit of fuel weeping from the body to airhorn gasket and a weak accel pump. I got a GP Sorensen kit for it a few yrs ago that's application specific and I just verified that number again. I do know the floats aren't interchangeable (the reason you stated). The float drop tabs are obviously different.

Attaching a pic of a float clip from the new kit. Basically identical to what was in there. There's a LOT of slop where the clips hang from the floats when they move up and down.

Anyone that has one of these open or a kit with different clips please jump in.

DSC00105 float to needle clip_crop.jpg