Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Has anybody had success running flat tappet cams nowadays? [Re: markz528] #1813638
04/28/15 01:47 AM
04/28/15 01:47 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
I recently received a Comp custom(not shelf but for a stocker build) solid lifter cam,the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Bent(not comp's fault? maybe?) extreme casting flash goobers and overall a piece of crap. I knew better but thought I was maybe a little harsh. LOL I'm guessing there is a lot of this crap in engines that goes undetected. Never again! Period!

Re: Has anybody had success running flat tappet cams nowadays? [Re: goldmember] #1813880
04/28/15 02:24 PM
04/28/15 02:24 PM
Middle of Illinois
S
Ski 61701 Offline
Ski 61701  Offline
S

Middle of Illinois
I ran into the exact same problem with Comp, the sides of the lobes were nasty looking, as matter of fact there was enough flashing on the sides of the cam lobes on #1 cyl if you slid the cam ever so slightly forward, the intake lobe flashing would barely catch the exhaust lifter and actually lift it. So I pulled the cam and sure enough the side every lobe had some sort of flashing on it, (some worse than others) and this was a spec'd cam not an off the shelf kind of thing. Sent the cam back, 3 weeks later it came back with the sides of the lobes all dressed up like it should've been in the first place. Comp Cams... never again, QC is somewhat questionable in my opinion.

Re: Hasd anybody had success running flat tappet cams nowadays? [Re: markz528] #1814193
04/28/15 10:06 PM
04/28/15 10:06 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted By markz528
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
what happened with the pushrod length problem?

Its a long story but the pushrods were too short and the threads on the rocker adjuster nuts were not fully engaged. Also the preload (hydraulic lifters) was not properly set.

We were making T&T runs and all of a sudden the car started going faster and faster. In 3 runs it dropped around 0.8 seconds! On the final run it lost the water pump belt and overheated.

When it overheated 2 pushrods fell out. That's when I found out the valve train was a mess. I found several cups in the lifters with cracks.

At that time the lifters looked suspicious but not real bad. 26 runs later the lifters are shot.

I have put upteen cams in my cars over the last 35 years. Never had on fail due to break in until now. There is definitely something to be said for today's oil and metallurgy. I'm going with a hydraulic roller..........

Sorry to hear, What a PITA.

"Knock on wood" add me to the camp that has never lost a cam. I have never started a motor with the lash or pre load wrong either.

The cam now in my 340 is in it's third engine with original hydraulic lifters and I have always ran the same original crane gold adjustable rockers. On iron heads and on edlebrock aluminum heads. So I always set the pre load for each lifter on the engine stand. And I beat that car/motor hard now for 26K miles since the last freshen up including like 5 trips to Bonneville where I beat the car for miles at a time over 100 mPH easy.

IMO you can't blame the cam or lifters if the pre load was wrong, even if it's only for a short while. If that happens all bets are off, imo. If all that was perfect and you were keeping an eye on the lash pre load then I was start doubting other stuff.

I would take the motor out and all the way apart and clean it out. Like you said the cam is junk now too. I surely don't blame you for going hydraulic roller, but maybe a solid roller would make more sense? More RPMs for sure.

Make it so you can adjust the valves, That way you keep an eye on the cam lobes through valve lash. Got to pull the valve covers often, it's just good therapy. Do it often and race with confidence. Maybe she can learn to adjust the valves? I taught 3 guys to do it on my dragsters. Although I realize a dragster is 10X easier to work on, no fenders.

Re: Hasd anybody had success running flat tappet cams nowadays? [Re: Challenger 1] #1814230
04/28/15 10:45 PM
04/28/15 10:45 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
We have had our share of good and bad luck with both solid mechanical cams and solid rollers cams. I had a W2 engine wipe a lobe on the solid cam. I had an issue with a solid mechanical in my last hemi and it turned out to be an adjuster that went away. I also broke a solid cam, sheared the last couple lobes clean and still made a pass with it. Never killed any of my engines though.

The way I look at it, the rollers when they go, they often take out the whole engine. When a solid goes, it generally doesn't kill the whole engine, at least in the failures we have seen. Goes without saying you have all those small parts in the roller cams that end up all over when it lets go...Most if not all the failures I have witnessed are the rollers falling apart.

Yes you need good oil with a mechanical, and yes you have to break it in properly, but I like the lower valve spring pressures, I like the lower costs, and I like the lower maintenance over all.

For now, I will stick with my solid mechanical cams. I even put one in my new 605 Hemi....

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Page 2 of 2 1 2