Massachusetts
N
NortheastMopar Offline OP
pro stock
NortheastMopar  Offline OP
pro stock
N

Massachusetts
I have seen these in which the actual light fixture was a separate white plastic housing piece and the wires are asbestos braided red and yellow. I have also seen them where the actual light fixture was incorporated right into the clear lens cover being part of the lens itself. The wires were also red and yellow but not asbestos braided? Both have the side to side lines in the lens with a slight curve. Can anybody tell me any history on these and when they were changed? If anybody has one that they want to sell, I could use one for my project. Thanks......

Re: 70 S/E challenger overhead console light? [Re: NortheastMopar] #1784182
03/21/15 12:03 AM
03/21/15 12:03 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Not sure of the change over but you are correct the early housings had the bulb fixtures moulded as a one piece unit using the clear lense material for the whole assembly...They were prone to heat problems and at some point were changed over to a more heat resistant set-up using an insert with different grade of plastic at the bulb. Here's a pic of the revised assembly...

Some C bodys had the same light...they're getting tough to find now...The chrome bezels outlast the lenses in most cases...The lense would be a perfect repop item but with the current downswing of the hobby I doubt if they'd ever be made at this point so NOS or used it is...

Re: 70 S/E challenger overhead console light? [Re: screamindriver] #1784183
03/21/15 10:58 PM
03/21/15 10:58 PM
Massachusetts
N
NortheastMopar Offline OP
pro stock
NortheastMopar  Offline OP
pro stock
N

Massachusetts
Quote:

Not sure of the change over but you are correct the early housings had the bulb fixtures moulded as a one piece unit using the clear lense material for the whole assembly...They were prone to heat problems and at some point were changed over to a more heat resistant set-up using an insert with different grade of plastic at the bulb. Here's a pic of the revised assembly...

Some C bodys had the same light...they're getting tough to find now...The chrome bezels outlast the lenses in most cases...The lense would be a perfect repop item but with the current downswing of the hobby I doubt if they'd ever be made at this point so NOS or used it is...

I have one which is just missing the aluminum cover and little switch handle. Anybody got one that they don't need.