03/09/15 02:14 PM
03/09/15 02:14 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
I always run Harlands, even on my last car that had Indy heads and a 700 lift roller. Just make sure you get their latest adjusters and nuts, the old ones had problems.

B3RE, do you sell rockers? What do they cost?
If not, what is a ballpark price for your kit that makes the geometry better? Thanks.

Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: steve660] #1774389
03/09/15 03:02 PM
03/09/15 03:02 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Nevermind I found the kit in the Hot Deals section.

Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: ProSport] #1774390
03/09/15 03:09 PM
03/09/15 03:09 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Nevermind I found the kit in the Hot Deals section.

Cool! I do have my own rocker design in the works. I'll have them on my website as soon as they are available. In the meantime, I carry some budget rockers that work very well for most applications, when used with my kit.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: B3RE] #1774391
03/09/15 07:46 PM
03/09/15 07:46 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
So ( on a smallblock) the rocker sweep the biggest loss in efficiency? I would think minimizing the arc between the pushrod and the rocker stud would do more overall to improve the net lift than the sweep over the valve. The fulcrum ratio ( c/l of the rocker shaft to the cl of the roller vs the net lift of the stud is fixed, but the net motion is effected by the sum of the losses from the lobe itself to the rocker body. Big losses just in the loss from the 59 degree poly geometry inherent in the Shortblock. The pushrods also move in an arc on both ends. With a good long guide in not really as concerned with roller sweep ( after all it is a roller) as I am with the sum of all the other lost motion issues in the valvetrain.!lets not even think about the losses from the pushrods lateral angle with an offset rocker like a W2.

So I guess to target the net lift and duration you need for optimum performance it's probably smarter add lift compensation to the lobe so you 'net' the desired lift.

Last edited by Streetwize; 03/09/15 07:49 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: Streetwize] #1774392
03/09/15 09:38 PM
03/09/15 09:38 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

So ( on a smallblock) the rocker sweep the biggest loss in efficiency? I would think minimizing the arc between the pushrod and the rocker stud would do more overall to improve the net lift than the sweep over the valve. The fulcrum ratio ( c/l of the rocker shaft to the cl of the roller vs the net lift of the stud is fixed, but the net motion is effected by the sum of the losses from the lobe itself to the rocker body. Big losses just in the loss from the 59 degree poly geometry inherent in the Shortblock. The pushrods also move in an arc on both ends. With a good long guide in not really as concerned with roller sweep ( after all it is a roller) as I am with the sum of all the other lost motion issues in the valvetrain.!lets not even think about the losses from the pushrods lateral angle with an offset rocker like a W2.

So I guess to target the net lift and duration you need for optimum performance it's probably smarter add lift compensation to the lobe so you 'net' the desired lift.

Wize, I'm glad I've got you thinking. I know what your saying about the pushrod side, but the lost motion there can be made up with a properly designed rocker. You mentioned the loss of net lift. Where is the measurement taken, full lift? What about at every 10 crankshaft degrees? Most people check full lift for losses, but nowhere else, so they miss the losses through the lift cycle. Minimizing the pushrod losses won't help gain that back.
Also, it's not just about net losses. When the valve side is off, the velocities of the cam lobe are occurring at the wrong place causing serious valvetrain instability, and that destroys parts.
On more thing to note, when using an offset rocker, such as a W2, the pushrod angle becomes compounded, so out really doesn't increase as much as one might think. The angle is in a straight line, even though it is in two axes.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: B3RE] #1774393
03/09/15 10:34 PM
03/09/15 10:34 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Good topic. Need to get Vic Bloomer in on this topic. He's studied the lobe to rocker geometry closer than anyone I know. I can see any way you can minimize the losses to the fulcrum point will naturally get a higher percentage of the lobes motion transferred to the lift side of the see-saw.

But it's hard for me to visualize how you can truly 'make-up' for the sum of those losses with the rocker itself ( without over-compensation ( ex: use a 1.6:1 'gross' just to 'net 1.5) ....and even then the 'degree by degree' motion of the lobe won't/can't be 'linear' even if the lobe to rocker were close to perfectly straight.

And in a way the factory stamped rockers allow the pushrods to move straighter in their range of motion up top....because the 'slop' in the factory rocker on the shaft allows the rocker to slide ( with some obvious 'slop') in lieu of the pushrod oscillating as it must in a tight clearence aftermarket rocker.

I always looked at some degree that valvetrain lost motion as kind of a 'necessary evil' present in any cam-in-block motor.

Last edited by Streetwize; 03/09/15 10:40 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: Streetwize] #1774394
03/09/15 11:40 PM
03/09/15 11:40 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Good topic. Need to get Vic Bloomer in on this topic. He's studied the lobe to rocker geometry closer than anyone I know. I can see any way you can minimize the losses to the fulcrum point will naturally get a higher percentage of the lobes motion transferred to the lift side of the see-saw.

But it's hard for me to visualize how you can truly 'make-up' for the sum of those losses with the rocker itself ( without over-compensation ( ex: use a 1.6:1 'gross' just to 'net 1.5) ....and even then the 'degree by degree' motion of the lobe won't/can't be 'linear' even if the lobe to rocker were close to perfectly straight.

And in a way the factory stamped rockers allow the pushrods to move straighter in their range of motion up top....because the 'slop' in the factory rocker on the shaft allows the rocker to slide ( with some obvious 'slop') in lieu of the pushrod oscillating as it must in a tight clearence aftermarket rocker.

I always looked at some degree that valvetrain lost motion as kind of a 'necessary evil' present in any cam-in-block motor.

Your right, you can't eliminate all losses. That's the nature of converting linear motion to an arc motion. This is why I don't get upset about losing some peak lift at the valve. The way I set up my geometry, I get a longer dwell time at peak lift allowing the cylinder filling to be more efficient, and less crankshaft degrees to get to the mid lift ranges where the heads are moving air.
Every rocker arm out there has the ratio adjusted to get it close to full lift spec. If you put the adjuster on a 1.5 rocker exactly 1.5 times less than the fulcrum length, you would lose quite a bit of lift from the arc losses. The same adjustment could be made on the small block rockers, and be a lot closer than wjhat they are now. They can never be 100% correct because more lift=more sweep=more loss. The real issue with rocker design is the adjuster location. Let's just say this; You can't locate the adjuster on a roller rocker properly with a ball end, unless the rocker was made very tall (and heavy). I have yet to see one that is right.

Mike Beachel

Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: B3RE] #1774395
03/10/15 12:34 AM
03/10/15 12:34 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
You guys will have to excuse some of my posts if some of the words don't make sense. My phone has a mind of its own sometimes. Grrrrr!

Mike Beachel

Re: comp cam pro magnum or harland sharp rockers [Re: B3RE] #1774396
03/10/15 01:25 PM
03/10/15 01:25 PM
restos just aren't my thing
gtsuperbee Offline OP
top fuel
gtsuperbee  Offline OP
top fuel

restos just aren't my thing
I just wanted to step in and thank everyone for the knowledge I've gained from this post.

Restoring a car to look "only" as good as the factory made it is like getting a boob job for your wife and having the doctor make them two different sizes to seem more natural
Page 2 of 2 1 2