geezer acres rest home
D
dakotawilly Offline OP
mopar
dakotawilly  Offline OP
mopar
D

geezer acres rest home
the mopar factory actually produced an aluminum smallblock for testing.herb mccandless had one,its now at the wellborn museum.you can google it.only problem was the few they produced refused to hold water...

SFI 25.5 depends,no leak,even at 213 mph....
Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: Eric] #1772295
03/12/15 03:22 PM
03/12/15 03:22 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

IMO we as Mopar guys are our own worst enemy. How many times have we read "it doesn't look like a (insert head)" so I won't buy it. How can we evolve like Ford and Chevy guys if we expect our parts to look like 60's engineered factory parts? Yes, Mopar guys are the tightest ($$$) of any enthusiast I've ever met. We have held on too long, it's time to move on.

X2

This is also a concern of the block manufactures we spoke to.We at BGR have been trying to find a source for reasonable production style blocks.We already have sources for aluminium aftermarket style blocks at Indy and others.When a iron production and iron aftermarket block nears or exceeds the price of an aluminium Indy block,it's time to move on.Having spoke with a manufacture recently,he said" quote"After reading what was posted on Moparts,hell these people can't agree on anything and all have their own opinions and agendas.Ask 100 people on the site to agree on a block style and ask each to invest $100,000 and we can start tommarrow.When the dust settles you see like a 100 ballless cows or what is called steers walking in line to the slaughter house heads hanging down,tails swinging and the mournful bellowing,"Mooooveeing along".
Please don't take offence to this post,we have been trying to support this effort now and before but we just had to share the comment both for the serious efforts and the humorous content as relayed.We have talked to others but there has been no promising results reflected back.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772296
03/12/15 03:34 PM
03/12/15 03:34 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Quote:

After reading what was posted on Moparts,hell these people can't agree on anything and all have their own opinions and agendas.

They should read every other post about building a big block over 500hp that says "it's cheaper to just start with an after market block then bandaid a stock one" everyone recommends it still even though nobody makes them. By the time I got my aluminum caps and studs in and everything machined up I was almost at the old world block price which I would of gladly ordered from my dealer for extra insurance.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: CTD5.9] #1772297
03/12/15 03:47 PM
03/12/15 03:47 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

After reading what was posted on Moparts,hell these people can't agree on anything and all have their own opinions and agendas.

They should read every other post about building a big block over 500hp that says "it's cheaper to just start with an after market block then bandaid a stock one" everyone recommends it still even though nobody makes them. By the time I got my aluminum caps and studs in and everything machined up I was almost at the old world block price which I would of gladly ordered from my dealer for extra insurance.

We understand,but look at how many people use stock blocks and the latest "trick" parts".Recently we were at a near by machine shop and saw a lowdeck that was machined for.sleeves, a girdle,crossbolts and aluminium caps/studs.We were informed the owner passed up a used aluminium Indy Maxx block for about $800 cheaper than the "choise 1971 block" and parts and machine work cost.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772298
03/12/15 03:52 PM
03/12/15 03:52 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We understand,but look at how many people use stock blocks and the latest "trick" parts".Recently we were at a near by machine shop and saw a lowdeck that was machined for.sleeves, a girdle,crossbolts and aluminium caps/studs.We were informed the owner passed up a used aluminium Indy Maxx block for about $800 cheaper than the "choise 1971 block" and parts and machine work cost.

Some people are just plain CRAZY. Or dumb.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: pittsburghracer] #1772299
03/12/15 04:09 PM
03/12/15 04:09 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Some people are just plain CRAZY. Or dumb.

OR it goes back to the mentality of... it doesnt look
like a stock mopar

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1772300
03/12/15 04:23 PM
03/12/15 04:23 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Quote:

like a stock mopar

maybe I am blind but the indy aluminums don't even look that out of line. Grind the name off the front of the block and have your machinist put in some brass freeze plugs since people like paying them lots, hemi orange paint and call it a day.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: CTD5.9] #1772301
03/12/15 05:32 PM
03/12/15 05:32 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

like a stock mopar

maybe I am blind but the indy aluminums don't even look that out of line. Grind the name off the front of the block and have your machinist put in some brass freeze plugs since people like paying them lots, hemi orange paint and call it a day.

I'm going to have "Indy" milled of my 360-1 heads, and they will be painted orange too.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: justinp61] #1772302
03/12/15 11:34 PM
03/12/15 11:34 PM
geezer acres rest home
D
dakotawilly Offline OP
mopar
dakotawilly  Offline OP
mopar
D

geezer acres rest home
thats the point in a nutshell,way too many wishfull thinkers to convince anybody into a major investment to produce blocks.like bob said the b/rb platform would be the best way to start simply because it is the most needed.i started this post to be helpfull to the manufacturer in seeing the real time actual need.but it blossomed into an expresssion of everybodys needs.and thats ok too. as far as a block goes,the b/rb has never been reproduced or a replacement version offered period.and there are far more versions of almost everything else or have been at one time.i will still do everything i can to keep lobbying possible manufacturers until the day i take a dirt nap.the more of us that follow suit the better.they may have made millions but like us old farts they drop like flys....

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: dakotawilly] #1772303
03/13/15 01:21 AM
03/13/15 01:21 AM
Sydney,Australia
tex013 Offline
top fuel
tex013  Offline
top fuel

Sydney,Australia
dakotawilly,
I think you are doing the right thing but maybe instead of asking maybe you should just say this is needed .
Try doing a motor down here if you don't have a block,most are asking $1200 plus for a 440RB block.
I would be happy with a return of the World/Megablock type replacement - but at a somewhat comparable price to a BB Chev.Maybe just not quite as heavy as the last lot were .
As said - too many choices will mean nothing will get done.

Tex

New best ET 10.259@129.65 .
New best MPH 130.32
Finally fitted a solid cam,
stepped it up a bit more
3690lbs through the mufflers
New World block 3780lbs 10.278@130.80 . Wowser 10.253@130.24 footbraking from 1500rpm
Power by Tex's Automotive
Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: tex013] #1772304
03/13/15 12:14 PM
03/13/15 12:14 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
I think our only hope is koleno, their last update on facebook was from September 29th and sounded hopeful that they were on their way to making blocks again. I think everyone looking for a quality replacement block for a BB Mopar should message/email them with interest/encouragement so maybe one day it will be an option again.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: CTD5.9] #1772305
03/13/15 01:22 PM
03/13/15 01:22 PM
geezer acres rest home
D
dakotawilly Offline OP
mopar
dakotawilly  Offline OP
mopar
D

geezer acres rest home
josh king posted that world blocks are back in production and arrow racing engines will be doing the machining and that they will be available again in a few months.not cheap im sure of,as far as lobbying for blocks,i do what i can as an ordinary little guy to help the sport.many engine shops and "more respected" people are,and have been doing the same.maybe the right door hasnt been knocked on yet,and many have "bloody knuckles" from trying.it really need to be a full on group effort to get this done,and thats all there is to it.as an industrial electrician i have worked in many casting foundries myself.honestly,if i had the financial means,i would do it myself.i know there is a market and a profit potential there......

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: dakotawilly] #1772306
03/13/15 01:59 PM
03/13/15 01:59 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

josh king posted that world blocks are back in production and arrow racing engines will be doing the machining and that they will be available again in a few months.not cheap im sure of,as far as lobbying for blocks,i do what i can as an ordinary little guy to help the sport.many engine shops and "more respected" people are,and have been doing the same.maybe the right door hasnt been knocked on yet,and many have "bloody knuckles" from trying.it really need to be a full on group effort to get this done,and thats all there is to it.as an industrial electrician i have worked in many casting foundries myself.honestly,if i had the financial means,i would do it myself.i know there is a market and a profit potential there......

I'm glad someone (you) is trying. I'm at the point where I can't afford to go any faster with Mopar stuff, but will always have one B1/MC or something. I wonder if there are any plans for the raised cam option. I guess it doesn't matter, I'll just buy aluminum, if not.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: CTD5.9] #1772307
03/13/15 03:49 PM
03/13/15 03:49 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

like a stock mopar

Indy Maxx has no fuel pump mounting provisions and has external oil port at the oil pump housing as well as rounded hump casting at the distributer mounting area.Don't forget the screw in core plugs.We have many customers refuse to buy the block for these reasons.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772308
03/13/15 04:15 PM
03/13/15 04:15 PM
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Quote:

Indy Maxx has no fuel pump mounting provisions and has external oil port at the oil pump housing as well as rounded hump casting at the distributer mounting area.Don't forget the screw in core plugs.We have many customers refuse to buy the block for these reasons.

My hat is off to everyone like yourself doing this kind of work. Those excuses make me have a nervous twitch and make me want to call the person dumb without ever meeting them.

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772309
03/13/15 06:57 PM
03/13/15 06:57 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

like a stock mopar

fricken WOW!

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772310
03/13/15 07:17 PM
03/13/15 07:17 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

like a stock mopar

Bob.. that really doesnt surprise me... some of the
Mopar crowd seem WEIRD to me.. sure I can understand
the FAST guys not wanting it.. but that would be it

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: B G Racing] #1772311
03/13/15 09:05 PM
03/13/15 09:05 PM
Canada
WO23Coronet Offline
master
WO23Coronet  Offline
master

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

like a stock mopar

That's pretty ridiculous, if you're at the point of needing a block like an Indy Maxx stock appearing shouldn't be in the equation. What the FAST guys are doing is really cool and I get it, and I could see them wanting/needing a stock look but that's about it

Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: WO23Coronet] #1772312
03/13/15 09:49 PM
03/13/15 09:49 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I tried to make this point in an earlier post. We are just too fractured up to have any real shot at enough volume to support the development and production of anything. Which is a big part of why we haven't had any consistent block production up to this point.

And the new Gen 3 stuff just splits the pie further. Sure, the new Hemi stuff is bringing some new guys to the party. But not in enough numbers to justify new blocks I suspect. And it does pull some support from previous offerings.

If most of us ran small blocks or ran big blocks/Gen 2 Hemis or ran Gen 3 Hemis we still would still have the divide between race blocks that look different vs stock appearing blocks. By and large, the street guys are a different market than the racers. Heck, there were guys that complained about the weight of the World BB/Hemi blocks. (I was one of them)

Even if there is enough of a letter campaign to get a new batch of blocks into production, there has to be enough sales to make it a success. If not, everyone will know it and there will never be anyone to take the gamble on us again.

As always, we just need more Mopar guys.

Master, again and still
Re: NEW DART MOPAR BLOCKS !!!!! [Re: WO23Coronet] #1772313
03/13/15 10:07 PM
03/13/15 10:07 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
If I get my act together this season I'll be calling Bob or A.J. for a block with screw in freeze plugs

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9