Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: toplescuda] #1757312
02/20/15 02:12 PM
02/20/15 02:12 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
as a proud erstwhile member of the nhra, this doesn't bother me one bit. i enjoy my car now, more than ever, despite having expired harnesses, and no locking transmission dipstick. the only dues i pay are registration and insurance.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: maximum entropy] #1757313
02/20/15 02:23 PM
02/20/15 02:23 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I am very glad both of my local tracks are IHRA but I do race at NHRA tracks too. Been there done that with the street racing and cruising so I will now abide by their rules as I enjoy racing very much. See you at the finish line.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: pittsburghracer] #1757314
02/20/15 02:46 PM
02/20/15 02:46 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
Giving viewers the impression that they are illegally street racing is wrong in itself. Why not tell the viewers that are blocking off roads for filming? Cause the allure of getting caught would disappear and it wouldn`t be much different than racing on a real crappy track. Then who would watch? Reality TV sucks. Nothing real about it.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: mopars4ever] #1757315
02/20/15 02:55 PM
02/20/15 02:55 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Giving viewers the impression that they are illegally street racing is wrong in itself.

Hello? Reality TV.

Newsflash for you, WWE is fake too.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757316
02/20/15 03:02 PM
02/20/15 03:02 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
Quote:

Hello? Reality TV.

Hello! Did you take time to even read the whole post? Duh!

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: mopars4ever] #1757317
02/20/15 03:06 PM
02/20/15 03:06 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Quote:

Hello? Reality TV.

Sure did.

I thought the post was redundant. I don't know a lot of people who see programs like this and think "its the real deal" its on TV which is 95% BS.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757318
02/20/15 03:43 PM
02/20/15 03:43 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hello? Reality TV.

Sure did.

I thought the post was redundant. I don't know a lot of people who see programs like this and think "its the real deal" its on TV which is 95% BS.

I wish some of you guys would leave me my fantasies, you all are really harshing my buzz.

BTW forgive me if I missed it somewhere here in these 37 pages but didn't NHRA suspend Darryl Aldermans license for illegal activities off the track?

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Guitar Jones] #1757319
02/20/15 03:54 PM
02/20/15 03:54 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

BTW forgive me if I missed it somewhere here in these 37 pages but didn't NHRA suspend Darryl Aldermans license for illegal activities off the track?

Yes; For federal charges of conspiracy to possess and distribute cocaine.

The Street Outlaw guys have broken no laws. As it has been pointed out several times the show is filmed with the support of local officials and law enforcement.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757320
02/20/15 03:58 PM
02/20/15 03:58 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Quote:

Quote:

Yes; For federal charges of conspiracy to possess and distribute cocaine.

The Street Outlaw guys have broken no laws. As it has been pointed out several times the show is filmed with the support of local officials and law enforcement.

You keep saying they aren't doing it illegally because LEO's are present. I've never known a case where an LEO can suspend the state or federal laws. He or she may choose to turn a blind eye or decide not to enforce the law but it's still breaking laws.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757321
02/20/15 03:59 PM
02/20/15 03:59 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Saw this online.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/nhra-responds-to-the-hate-over-their-street-outlaws-letter/

Quote:

Man there’s a lot of NHRA-hate out there. After we posted last night about the NHRA sending out letters to some of the NHRA-licensed participants in the cable reality show Street Outlaws, advising them not to continue appearing in a show that promotes street racing, we hit a nerve. Or maybe the NHRA hit the nerve. However you look at it, we had to contact NHRA to get a little more info about why they did this and what they expect in return.

For that we cold-called Geno Effler, who is the head of PR for NHRA, and presented him with some of your comments from the post—at least the ones that didn’t take the NHRA to task for everything from 9/11 to global warming.

Effler told us NHRA officials saw numerous NHRA licensed drivers and some cars with NHRA logos or competition numbers appearing on the show, and feel that since the show promotes street racing, NHRA didn’t want their licensed drivers glorifying street racing—whether it’s staged [which it is] or not. Says Effler, “It’s contrary to their membership as NHRA licensed drivers.”

For what outcome the NHRA expects, Effler went on to say, “We hope that maintaining their licenses and being ambassadors for, and the mission of NHRA, is the course they take.”

He told us that NHRA sent out less than two dozen letters, and that so far none of the recipients has contacted the NHRA, but that “it would probably be a good thing to do.”

When it was suggested that the NHRA is doing this to quell the reality show because their ratings in the 18-49 year old male demographic was not as good as Street Outlaws, Effler laughed then said, "That’s an inaccurate supposition. It’s like apples and oranges. We are not the same type of broadcast and are on at different times and days. We don’t share any sponsors, and by the way, our ratings this year are up, not down. The heart of the matter is that we don’t promote street racing in any form in any way.”

With the amount of attention these letters have garnered, and the criticism on online drag racing magazines and blogs hurled at the NHRA over the last few years, would this be a wakeup call for the organization to get back to their roots and help promote “little guy”, Saturday night run-what-you-brung racing? Effler said, “We’ve always been a proponent of the tracks and facilities, and are supporters of track owners. Also, we’ve done a lot to promote programs that involve street legal cars, like our Junior Street program, which has been a huge success.”

Junior Street is for 13-16 year olds that don’t have licenses. They can go to the strip with a parent riding shotgun, and in a car that runs no quicker than 10 seconds flat in the eighth-mile. The parent drives the car to the water boxes, hands the wheel over to the child, who then takes it down the strip, and parks the car after the run for their parent to take over. Says Effler, “This is all done in a controlled manner, and shows the young enthusiast this type of racing should be done on a drag strip, safely, and still be thrilling.”

Besides Junior Street there is also the Junior Dragster program for 5-17 year olds that has been going on for years. And NHRA continues to help promote amateur racing throughout the country.

So there it is, straight from the NHRA. In a nutshell, NHRA sees the participation of NHRA-licensed drivers in the Street Outlaws cable show is contrary to license holding and is promoting an illegal activity—an activity which the NHRA was created to help combat, and continues to fight against.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/news/nhra-responds-to-the-hate-over-their-street-outlaws-letter/#ixzz3SJEsBKWx
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Guitar Jones] #1757322
02/20/15 04:20 PM
02/20/15 04:20 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

You keep saying they aren't doing it illegally because LEO's are present.

Feel free to quote what federal law or even state law in OK is being broken.

RI use to have drag racing on public roads several years ago, I know because I attended the event. No LEO were turning blind eyes, they were monitoring the event and doing crowd control.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757323
02/20/15 04:29 PM
02/20/15 04:29 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Quote:

Quote:

RI use to have drag racing on public roads several years ago, I know because I attended the event. No LEO were turning blind eyes, they were monitoring the event and doing crowd control.

Ah, well, just off the top of my head how about speed limits? I also believe that street racing (acceleration contests?) is illegal in all 48 contiguous US states at the least. How about up there in Taxineticut?

Again just because the LEO's are allowing it, that doesn't make it illegal. Please feel free to quote the OK law that says it's not illegal to street race if the cops will let you.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Guitar Jones] #1757324
02/20/15 04:33 PM
02/20/15 04:33 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, well, just off the top of my head how about speed limits? I also believe that street racing (acceleration contests?) is illegal in all 48 contiguous US states at the least. How about up there in Taxineticut?

Again just because the LEO's are allowing it, that doesn't make it illegal. Please feel free to quote the OK law that says it's not illegal to street race if the cops will let you.

So the Silver State race with 200+ mph cars is illegal as well?

The events have permits to do the activities. Making the event "legal". The everyday speed/traffic laws do not apply to the permitted locations.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Guitar Jones] #1757325
02/20/15 04:45 PM
02/20/15 04:45 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Ah, well, just off the top of my head how about speed limits?

1) Since the road is being closed off for an event they may not apply.

2) The states have the right to set the speed limits as they see fit. Mind you on the interstate (a federal road) you can lose federal funding in some cases if you don't do as the feds advise.

Quote:

I also believe that street racing (acceleration contests?) is illegal in all 48 contiguous US states at the least.

Please provide the federal statute. You are the one making the claim, I'm not aware of any such statute.

Quote:

How about up there in Taxineticut?

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon any public highway for a wager or for any race or for the purpose of making a speed record."

Note it states PUBLIC HIGHWAY. If the road is not public (in example blocked off for an event) then the statute does not apply. Hell depending on what the state terms "a public highway" it might not apply to local roads under town jurisdiction.

Doesn't matter they can skin the cat anyway they want to- Speeding, reckless driving, etc.

Quote:

Again just because the LEO's are allowing it, that doesn't make it illegal.

The town officials are ALLOWING this to happen. You know permits and stuff. Filming a show like this doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Just like in RI law enforcement was on board since the town was hosting this event since it brings in money to a popular tourist attraction.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: crackedback] #1757326
02/20/15 04:52 PM
02/20/15 04:52 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Well I heard that the Street Outlaws don't get much in money for being on the show, that's to bad. Now It's time for Big Chief to contact the Duck boy's and Swamp People promoters and see how to get on the merchandise gravy train. Those guy's became became pretty rich on tee shirts and hats.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757327
02/20/15 04:54 PM
02/20/15 04:54 PM
Chowchilla,ca
Chassisman Offline
master
Chassisman  Offline
master

Chowchilla,ca
And then there is THIS tid bit.....seems the wheels are falling off the NHRA....

RUMOR! NHRA SELLS THREE PRO CLASSES

DRO has verified as fact that Tom Compton and the NHRA board hired a financial company in the Los Angeles area more than two months ago to package and sell the top three pro classes (Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock) to an entertainment company. The Agent has the name of the company but has been unable to contact them yet. DRO’s source said today that there is an entertainment company that has agreed to terms. We have been unable to verify that rumor as of 6 p.m. (Central) Wednesday, Feb. 18.

Selling off their top three pro classes was one of the options that was discussed when Tom Compton tried to sell the NHRA to Direct TV majordomo Eddy Hartenstein and his HD Partners group back in 2007. Our source says the deal that NHRA made was essentially the same one they had in 2007 when an attempted sale fell through at the last minute. In the original deal NHRA would sell the pro classes and as part of the sale a large chunk of the buyout money would go to the NHRA to ensure that the sportsman part of the NHRA would continue on. As we understand it that is the same type of deal the new sale would be.

The Agent always felt that selling off the NHRA top three pro classes wasn’t a viable or smart option since none of the racers in those classes works for the NHRA; they are all independent contractors who can race where and when they wish. On the other hand, maybe a professional entertainment group can sell nitro sponsorships better than the NHRA can.

Stay tuned

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Chassisman] #1757328
02/20/15 04:58 PM
02/20/15 04:58 PM
Mesa, AZ
cagebob1 Offline
enthusiast
cagebob1  Offline
enthusiast

Mesa, AZ

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Chassisman] #1757329
02/20/15 05:08 PM
02/20/15 05:08 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Quote:

And then there is THIS tid bit.....seems the wheels are falling off the NHRA....

RUMOR! NHRA SELLS THREE PRO CLASSES

DRO has verified as fact that Tom Compton and the NHRA board hired a financial company in the Los Angeles area more than two months ago to package and sell the top three pro classes (Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock) to an entertainment company. The Agent has the name of the company but has been unable to contact them yet. DRO’s source said today that there is an entertainment company that has agreed to terms. We have been unable to verify that rumor as of 6 p.m. (Central) Wednesday, Feb. 18.

Selling off their top three pro classes was one of the options that was discussed when Tom Compton tried to sell the NHRA to Direct TV majordomo Eddy Hartenstein and his HD Partners group back in 2007. Our source says the deal that NHRA made was essentially the same one they had in 2007 when an attempted sale fell through at the last minute. In the original deal NHRA would sell the pro classes and as part of the sale a large chunk of the buyout money would go to the NHRA to ensure that the sportsman part of the NHRA would continue on. As we understand it that is the same type of deal the new sale would be.

The Agent always felt that selling off the NHRA top three pro classes wasn’t a viable or smart option since none of the racers in those classes works for the NHRA; they are all independent contractors who can race where and when they wish. On the other hand, maybe a professional entertainment group can sell nitro sponsorships better than the NHRA can.

Stay tuned

Deploy "Golden Parachutes" in 5, 4, 3, 2 , 1...

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: crackedback] #1757330
02/20/15 05:10 PM
02/20/15 05:10 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Deploy "Golden Parachutes" in 5, 4, 3, 2 , 1...

HAHAHAHHA!

That was my first thought, shades of Daimler-Benz buying out Mopar.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757331
02/20/15 05:24 PM
02/20/15 05:24 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
They don't represent it as being legal...and there are plenty of morons who don't realize it's staged. People will street race either way...this just glorifies it.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24