Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Al_Alguire] #1757172
02/18/15 04:05 PM
02/18/15 04:05 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

Well in my opinion I am surprised it has taken this long. I would be interested to se if there was any other motivation to do it. It also seems a tad but hypocritical given what some of the bigger names have done in the past or are accused of and nothing happens. However it is there ball and there game and it IS in the rulebook.

I saw a quote from someone at the NHRA that it may be a case where cars wearing NHRA competition numbers and displaying NHRA decals maybe be a large part of the issue. At that in their minds(NHRA)it shows those people are representing the NHRA and it's racers. If that is the case a simple warning as they got and asking them to remove any reference to NHRA in terms of decals, numbers etc be removed from the cars. Possibly this would help to alleviate any perception the NHRA has that they condone ILLEAGAL street racing in any form, TV show or not. Likely could have been handled better than it was.

While some like to point out that the races are on closed down permitted streets, airports etc. They certainly DO NOT promote it as such. Many of the racers are members on yellowbullet and gladly admit they test on public roads when need be. Thus admitting they are taking place in an illegal activity that does fall under the NHRA's personal conduct clause that ALL of us who hold I license or membership are subject to. After all we do not have to be members or hold a license we CHOOSE to. I know some are trying to justify all this as being legal the show is not promoting it as such. And there are plenty of people who I guarantee think it is really illegal street racing.

I don't follow the show like some for sure. If there is nothing going on and I am around I will watch it. I don't like all the phony TV drama that seems to come with just about everything on TV anymore personally. While it is great for the aftermarket parts suppliers to maybe sell some parts and certainly to reach people through advertising, since it seems everyone is wearing some manufacturers t shirt anymore I do not see how it helps organized drag racing at all. Which seems to be a point some are making. I can see it however having a similar affect to Fast and Furious where more people get out there and street race, endangering others. But maybe I am wrong but I have not seen an influx of new blood at the tracks for sure and IIRC this is season 5 of this show. In the end the show will run it's course, and yes these guys do run at sanctioned race tracks.

I have seen what some of them have said about it and they may want to rethink their stance if they wish to continue to do so in the future. A couple of the "guest" appearances are guys who regularly compete at NHRA sanctioned tracks. They have shown Tulsa Raceway more than once that I have seen and it is an NHRA track. The PSCA runs it events at NHRA facilities as well. Not saying they cannot go elsewhere just saying they may want to rethink the current public relations strategy, on both sides honestly. But the show WILL end and those guys WILL want to continue to race. I feel confident the NHRA will be around after street outlaws goes aw

QFT

For perspective, change the players:

If a high profile NRA member suddenly began a super popular TV show glorifying "outlaw hunting" (aka midnight poaching) you can bet your butt the NRA would try to put as much distance between that member and themselves as possible. It might be popular and ultimately draw people into the sport of hunting and shooting, but it does so in a manner that disparages what the NRA stands for.

Same deal. NHRA want people to know they are absolutely not a part of what happens on SO's.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: ] #1757173
02/18/15 04:08 PM
02/18/15 04:08 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Almost didn't click to start this video when I saw what it was. Glad I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gSRYzK2yg

It is hilarious.

Actually I'd rather watch the NHRA and did this weekend, they even had the lower classes running on ESPN2 3 or 4 can't recall. Much better than watching Donkeys trying to wreck their 100k+ car on some dark narrow back road for $500. I mean really the biggest bet was $3500. If these guys are so good and fast why not show up at an NHRA event and take the trophy and some serous cash home?

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: BBR] #1757174
02/18/15 04:17 PM
02/18/15 04:17 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

If a high profile NRA member suddenly began a super popular TV show glorifying "outlaw hunting" (aka midnight poaching) you can bet your butt the NRA would try to put as much distance between that member and themselves as possible.

Already addressed this- All NHRA had to do was issue a statement indicating they don't agree with the ***reality TV show*** Street Outlaws and people should attend a real NHRA event to see what all the action is about while quietly working with the Street Outlaw producers to remove any NHRA related signage.

It would have been a win-win for NHRA and Street Outlaws. Instead NHRA shot themselves in the foot and Street Outlaws will rake in the cash.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1757175
02/18/15 04:22 PM
02/18/15 04:22 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Quote:

Quote:

It is hilarious.

Actually I'd rather watch the NHRA and did this weekend, they even had the lower classes running on ESPN2 3 or 4 can't recall. Much better than watching Donkeys trying to wreck their 100k+ car on some dark narrow back road for $500. I mean really the biggest bet was $3500. If these guys are so good and fast why not show up at an NHRA event and take the trophy and some serous cash home?

The answer is simple, they've found a way with their no prep races at the track and/or street racing niche to be a big fish in a small pond.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: gdonovan] #1757176
02/18/15 04:33 PM
02/18/15 04:33 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

If a high profile NRA member suddenly began a super popular TV show glorifying "outlaw hunting" (aka midnight poaching) you can bet your butt the NRA would try to put as much distance between that member and themselves as possible.

Already addressed this- All NHRA had to do was issue a statement indicating they don't agree with the ***reality TV show*** Street Outlaws and people should attend a real NHRA event to see what all the action is about while quietly working with the Street Outlaw producers to remove any NHRA related signage.

It would have been a win-win for NHRA and Street Outlaws. Instead NHRA shot themselves in the foot and Street Outlaws will rake in the cash.

I for one like the no bs stance they took. Some see it as them shooting themselves in the foot, while others see it as them not compromising what the NHRA stands for. Heck, they issue the license, they can suspend it if the like and what does an outlaw need a comp license for anyway? Lol

Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: BBR] #1757177
02/18/15 04:44 PM
02/18/15 04:44 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
War Stories comes to my mind.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: 67Satty] #1757178
02/18/15 04:46 PM
02/18/15 04:46 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is hilarious.

The answer is simple, they've found a way with their no prep races at the track and/or street racing niche to be a big fish in a small pond.

??? I see at least one car wreck every week. Big fish in a small town you mean... hahaha

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: toplescuda] #1757179
02/18/15 04:55 PM
Chicago,Illinois
N
nosboy Offline
enthusiast
nosboy  Offline
enthusiast
N

Chicago,Illinois
I haven't watched the show,, but I WOULD THINK that the production company that produces it DOES,, in FACT,, get permission from the local authorities and I am PRETTY SURE the local police department closes off the road and they DO HAVE all the legalities and all of the city's BLESSINGS and are NOT just doing this in the middle of some interstate blocking traffic with 40 foot Peterbuilts... Therefore,, it's NOT ILLEGAL STREET RACING as they want you to think but an ORGANIZED RACE with PARAMEDICS and FIRE DEPARTMENTS standing "in the wings".... AM I RIGHT????

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1757180
Canada
C
CTD5.9 Offline
super stock
CTD5.9  Offline
super stock
C

Canada
Maybe this was brought forward by hotrod magazine to keep the street outlaw guys out of drag week?

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1757181
02/18/15 05:00 PM
02/18/15 05:00 PM
Up a holler, down a crick
B
booger Offline
super stock
booger  Offline
super stock
B

Quote:

[I mean really the biggest bet was $3500. If these guys are so good and fast why not show up at an NHRA event and take the trophy and some serous cash home?

How much could they really make at an NHRA event? I honestly have no idea but know costs have to be higher and suspect the purse for a single win isn't near $3500.

Never forget, they are also paid just for being on the show. That's where the money is.

Last edited by booger; 02/18/15 05:01 PM.

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: BBR] #1757182
02/18/15 05:08 PM
02/18/15 05:08 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I for one like the no bs stance they took. Some see it as them shooting themselves in the foot, while others see it as them not compromising what the NHRA stands for. Heck, they issue the license, they can suspend it if the like and what does an outlaw need a comp license for anyway? Lol

How would you feel if your state revoked your license because you have competed in Drag Week, and they deem that unexceptable?

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: nosboy] #1757183
02/18/15 05:10 PM
02/18/15 05:10 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

I haven't watched the show,, but I WOULD THINK that the production company that produces it DOES,, in FACT,, get permission from the local authorities and I am PRETTY SURE the local police department closes off the road and they DO HAVE all the legalities and all of the city's BLESSINGS and are NOT just doing this in the middle of some interstate blocking traffic with 40 foot Peterbuilts... Therefore,, it's NOT ILLEGAL STREET RACING as they want you to think but an ORGANIZED RACE with PARAMEDICS and FIRE DEPARTMENTS standing "in the wings".... AM I RIGHT????

You are correct on all guesses. It's NOT ILLEGAL street racing. It's NOT SANCTIONED by the NHRA is the issue. Thus, there is no revenue stream for them...all the while SO's TV rating are better.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: sixpackgut] #1757184
02/18/15 05:12 PM
02/18/15 05:12 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
Quote:

NHRA is deleting peoples posts on their facebook page and I dont think they can delete fast enough

They created a mess they can't keep up with

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: booger] #1757185
02/18/15 05:16 PM
02/18/15 05:16 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

[I mean really the biggest bet was $3500. If these guys are so good and fast why not show up at an NHRA event and take the trophy and some serous cash home?

How much could they really make at an NHRA event? I honestly have no idea but know costs have to be higher and suspect the purse for a single win isn't near $3500.

Never forget, they are also paid just for being on the show. That's where the money is.

Some of the pay outs around here on Friday and Sat-nights can get pretty high. Especially for the OPS and Real Street cars. It's 1/8 mile so it's right up their ally. These are heads up events Capitol Raceway has regular top ET payouts of $3000. And of course there is plenty of side action, if one were to need it. May 2nd they have a "Top of the Hill" showdown, $5000.00 top ET class. Maybe they should come out east and do some running...

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1757186
02/18/15 05:19 PM
02/18/15 05:19 PM
B
booger Offline
super stock
booger  Offline
super stock
B

Quote:

Maybe they should come out east and do some running...

Refer back to what I said about costs. They have to get through how many cars to get that money? That fuel and nitrous isn't free, right?

I think they've got a good thing going and there's no reason to mess it up just because some starched shirt opened a can of worms.

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: BBR] #1757187
02/18/15 05:22 PM
02/18/15 05:22 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And the NHRA was late to their own foot shoot. This is S.O.s 3rd season and they are just now attempting to issue a cease and desist order.

Master, again and still
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #1757188
02/18/15 05:27 PM
02/18/15 05:27 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would you feel if your state revoked your license because you have competed in Drag Week, and they deem that unexceptable?

There's nothing illegal about Drag Week. Cars are tagged, and insured and the racing is all done at a drag strip. Now if I was doing something stupid on the street while on Drag Week and the state revoked my license, well then I guess I had it coming didn't I?

Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: BulletBob] #1757189
02/18/15 05:29 PM
02/18/15 05:29 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Fake as it may or may not be, the show is promoting an illegal activity - street racing. That's NHRA's supposed beef. They may close off roads with the full cooperation of the authorities, but the way the show is put together, they are trying to promote to the gullible TV viewers the idea of illegal street racing.

However, the clause in the NHRA comp license agreement has no language that I've seen quoted that speaks to what a NHRA license holder can and cannot do away from an NHRA event. So the NHRA has probably just created a huge cluster that will do nothing more than give these guys even more publicity and thus do the exact opposite of what the NHRA intended.

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: 67Satty] #1757190
02/18/15 05:33 PM
02/18/15 05:33 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I wonder if the IHRA would take the same stance, if the racers in question were found to be currently active in their organization?

Re: nhra to pull street outlaw license if dont stop..... [Re: jcc] #1757191
02/18/15 05:38 PM
02/18/15 05:38 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I'm with NHRA on this one. You want to participate in this stupid s$&*? Take the NHRA identification, numbers, etc, off the car. An NHRA license is a privilege, not a right. I prefer to not be associated with such stupidity.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24