02/18/15 10:27 PM
02/18/15 10:27 PM
Delaware
G
GeorgeH Offline
GeorgeH  Offline
G

Delaware
X2 on reading the tech sheets for the product you are using, not all epoxies are DTM and require etch prime first.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: GeorgeH] #1755168
02/18/15 11:01 PM
02/18/15 11:01 PM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Quote:

X2 on reading the tech sheets for the product you are using, not all epoxies are DTM and require etch prime first.

I agree, but for the life of me I can't understand what good an epoxy is that needs etch first. Kind of defeats the purpose of epoxy all together.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: GeorgeH] #1755169
02/19/15 02:12 PM
02/19/15 02:12 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Some epoxies can't be sprayed over etch primers... I do one or the other, never use both.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: Silver70] #1755170
02/19/15 06:18 PM
02/19/15 06:18 PM
Chicago, IL
P
PLUM_72 Online content
pro stock
PLUM_72  Online Content
pro stock
P

Chicago, IL
There are some manufacturers out there that have 3 in 1 type primers that are supposed to etch, fill and seal. Transtar and UPOL are the couple that come to mind. TP Tools sells these brands. I have yet to try them, but for the DIY person not wanting to buy a bunch of products, they might be an option.

1972 Dodge Challenger
Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755171
02/20/15 12:25 AM
02/20/15 12:25 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I teach autobody at the Venango Tech Center in Oil City, Pa and here is our procedure:

Sandblast steel or 80 grit DA

WASH steel with water and Dawn dish detergent (I will discuss this later)

Clean steel with a water based wax and grease remover, then with solvent based wax and grease remover.

Allow to flash off and spray epoxy ( I like SPI Epoxy)

After 12-24 hrs, apply filler and block sand as normal. It is not necessary to sand the epoxy first as epoxy and filler will have a death grip on each other as long as the epoxy has not cured too long.

After filler work is complete, re-epoxy to sandwich your filler from both sides. Now you can use primer filler and block sand until the panel is ready.

*Sandblasting and washing*

Most sand used for blasting has contaminants- you are forcing those contaminants onto the surface of your car when blasting. Some dawn detergent followed by a waterborne wax and grease remover is a great way to really have CLEAN bare steel.

I know that it seems counter intuitive but when done the correct way excellent results are achieved.

As far as epoxy I am also a DuPont guy but I have to say that SPI epoxy is the best I have used, you also have a full 7 days to do your filler work and re coat with epoxy before you have to sand the original coat of epoxy.

Any questions let me know.

I don't teach it, but have been doing it for 30 years myself, media blasting and refinishing trucks, many. The surface is too ruff for wiping down after media blasting. That all should be done before media blasting. Have you ever done it?

I have used silica sand, coal slag and plastic media on about 15 steel tanker trucks since 1983 and repainted them without ever touching the freshly blasted white metal before primer.

You don't need no dawn soap or water! That makes rust.

I have some of the trucks I painted 20+ years ago still on my lot and know what lasts. I have painted many trucks and tankers after media blasting. I have done big jobs.

I also have done several cars and documented them here. Media blast and then the appropriate primer, no prep.

I use a etch primer over my blasted steel, then the epoxy primer has a chemical bond over freshly blasted steel. The freshly blasted steel is perfect for any kind of paint, don't mess it it up with prep after media blasting.

Then I have done lot's of epoxy DTM without any etch too and have never touched the freshly blasted steel before paint. It don't need to be I here to say!

Lastly before any media blasting goes on, the body is steam pressure washed, stripping it of all grease and oil before media blasting. I never blast oily greasy metal, that's crazy and dumb. No matter how much dawn after(LOL)you use, your screwed because you just blasted oil into the pores of the metal like a dumazz.

I'm not talking about throwing a old tarp over the cab and sand blasting the tanker. I take it all the way apart off the truck chassis bare and rewire in explosion proof and re plumb the entire truck myself after painting it.

Etch primer before the epoxy while the tank is still hanging over the sand we blasted it with. Use the same diesel compressor to prime as I did to blast it.

Then it got mounted on the chassis within 2 days and I sprayed the finish colors(3 of them) with in 3-5 days so I'm with in the 7 recoat window with no primer scuffing. I've done this many times, bust azz for 3-4 days, strip with media blasting and paint a whole tanker truck.

I always try to apply primer to freshly blasted steel within a hour or two, never let it sit over night.

Wash/etch primer applied within an hour of blasting. Then epoxy primer over this all in the same day it was blasted bare. Can you imagine washing this with soap and water after blasting?

Re: epoxy primer [Re: Challenger 1] #1755172
02/20/15 01:20 AM
02/20/15 01:20 AM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Glad your method works for you. It won't for everyone.

Most epoxy primers do not allow a wash primer or etch underneath. What epoxy do you use?

Regular sand has many contaminants, the worst being soluble salts and chlorides.

Here is a website that will explain some of it:

http://www.chlor-rid.com/home.php

Yep, we use this stuff as well. When you understand that WHAT you blast with is as important as anything else you do when trying to slow the corrosion process on sheet metal.

What topcoats do you use? Imron? Corlar?

Lastly, I suppose since I am a teacher many think my knowledge comes from textbooks and seminars only. That is [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. I have been slinging filler my whole life and know what works and what doesn't.

I could go into a point by point debate with your reply but by the tone it was written with I know I would be wasting my words.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755173
02/20/15 01:23 AM
02/20/15 01:23 AM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
I went in to such detail on this board because so many people are either misinformed or think that painting is " voodoo".

If you are of a mind to try painting at some stage of the game, I recommend 2 places to start.:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/ This is a very helpful forum where you will not be put down for asking questions or trying to help someone out. Not all will appreciate it because they also do a lot of " unnecessary" stuff like cleaning the surface and so on lol.

Another great thing for the new painter is a series of DVD's by Kevin Tetz. http://www.paintucation.com/

Kevin is a good guy and a great body man. I am proud to call him a friend. His videos are some of the best money you will spend before you paint a car.

One last thing, if anyone ever has a question about a paint job shoot me a pm. I will be happy to help out.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755174
02/20/15 01:55 AM
02/20/15 01:55 AM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
Quote:

Here is an easy way to explain it:

Collision shops are all about speed- grind, fill, etch, prime, seal, color, clear.

Resto shops are all about longevity- Blast, clean, epoxy, fill, epoxy again, prime, seal, color, clear.

Collsion shops hate epoxy because it is waaay to slow for them.

I personally believe epoxy is best for restoration work.

nailed it.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: PLUM_72] #1755175
02/20/15 01:14 PM
02/20/15 01:14 PM
Waddell AZ
A
azblackhemi Offline
super stock
azblackhemi  Offline
super stock
A

Waddell AZ
Quote:

There are some manufacturers out there that have 3 in 1 type primers that are supposed to etch, fill and seal. Transtar and UPOL are the couple that come to mind. TP Tools sells these brands. I have yet to try them, but for the DIY person not wanting to buy a bunch of products, they might be an option.

This is what I use. It is direct to metal, very high build and doesn't shrink. I know someone is going to say all primers shrink. I used to think that too until I used this. It saves a lot of time and money to do it all in one step.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: azblackhemi] #1755176
02/20/15 09:11 PM
02/20/15 09:11 PM
In the 8's
FY1TA Offline
top fuel
FY1TA  Offline
top fuel

In the 8's
Why would you use etch primer and epoxy? One or the other . Challenger1 you shouldn't be such a dick.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: FY1TA] #1755177
02/20/15 11:13 PM
02/20/15 11:13 PM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Chrisf and FY1TA,

Thanks for backing me up. When I started to answer on this thread I figured I could help some people out that were interested. Glad not everyone on moparts is a tool.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: azblackhemi] #1755178
02/20/15 11:14 PM
02/20/15 11:14 PM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Quote:

Quote:

This is what I use. It is direct to metal, very high build and doesn't shrink. I know someone is going to say all primers shrink. I used to think that too until I used this. It saves a lot of time and money to do it all in one step.

Not familiar with that brand. I would like to try some, where do you buy yours? Right from the company or distributor?

Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755179
02/20/15 11:22 PM
02/20/15 11:22 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
Quote:

Chrisf and FY1TA,

Thanks for backing me up. When I started to answer on this thread I figured I could help some people out that were interested. Glad not everyone on moparts is a tool.

kind of like a religion question or a torque converter question on moparts Your going to get 20 different answers and they are all right. they can keep doing it their way as its working for them.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755180
02/21/15 03:03 AM
02/21/15 03:03 AM
Waddell AZ
A
azblackhemi Offline
super stock
azblackhemi  Offline
super stock
A

Waddell AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not familiar with that brand. I would like to try some, where do you buy yours? Right from the company or distributor?

I buy it direct from Squeegs. Call them at 480-834-0324. They will ship it UPS. I pay about $230 for a kit. a kit has one gallon of each of the two parts and a quart of reducer. It gives you 2 1/4 gallons sprayable. I used to use DP epoxy primer and then K36 fill primer but I will never go back. Doing it one step saves a lot of time and material cost. It fills better than anything else I've used.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #1755181
02/22/15 03:05 PM
02/22/15 03:05 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Quote:

Chrisf and FY1TA,

This thread needs to get a sticky, or be in the Tech Archives....so those of us who want to do our own work can bug HudsonHornet to death from now on! I've been using Rage gold filler over DTM PPG epoxy for years. I started doing that because every car I've stripped to metal has surface rust under old filler that I have found. I only can assume that comes from when the filler gets hot during curing, the temperature difference between that and the cooler metal causes condensation, gets sandwiched in and causes surface rust under the filler.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: JDMopar] #1755182
02/22/15 04:28 PM
02/22/15 04:28 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Quote:

Chrisf and FY1TA,

This thread needs to get a sticky, or be in the Tech Archives....so those of us who want to do our own work can bug HudsonHornet to death from now on! I've been using Rage gold filler over DTM PPG epoxy for years. I started doing that because every car I've stripped to metal has surface rust under old filler that I have found. I only can assume that comes from when the filler gets hot during curing, the temperature difference between that and the cooler metal causes condensation, gets sandwiched in and causes surface rust under the filler.

That's exactly why I epoxy before filler... over the years I've stripped many cars and filler on direct metal always seemed to have rust underneath. I've seen it under regular primers too.

Re: epoxy primer [Re: Silver70] #1755183
02/22/15 06:46 PM
02/22/15 06:46 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline
super stock
gss  Offline
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
I have always epoxied the bare metal, then applied filler. I have never put a second coat of epoxy on top of the filler, just regular 2 component primer. I was under the impression that filler can retain some moisture and to lock it in with epoxy on both sides would cause problems. What is the down side to not applying a second layer of epoxy?

Also, I try to wear gloves to keep my skin off the substrate but find I frequently remove them to get a better feel of the bodywork. If you wear gloves what do you use?

Re: epoxy primer [Re: gss] #1755184
02/23/15 12:39 AM
02/23/15 12:39 AM
Southeast PA
5wndwcpe Offline
pro stock
5wndwcpe  Offline
pro stock

Southeast PA
These are what I use. They're fairly cheap and hold up pretty well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-100-pc-large-68497.html

1968 GTX hardtop
1968 Sport Satellite Convertible 383/4spd
1933 Plymouth coupe
2002 Ram 2500 oil burner 4x4
2015 Grand Cherokee
2013 Challenger
1957 Chrysler Saratoga

Man...I need a bigger freakin' garage.
Re: epoxy primer [Re: gss] #1755185
02/28/15 04:07 PM
02/28/15 04:07 PM
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

I just use my bare hand, and clean again with wax & grease remover before adding anything else. I'm right handed, so I use the Ray Charles left handed approach! I use my left hand, and don't look at where I'm feeling until I feel something. Circle it with a pencil, and move on. Then I come back fix the discoveries, high or low. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Page 2 of 2 1 2