MO
C
cdp Offline OP
master
cdp  Offline OP
master
C

MO
It appears the stroker is an eagle forged crank, standard eagle rods, and wiseco pistons.

I've noticed the offered balanced and unbalanced kits. I don't see any mallory metal or specific machining for balancing,

for a street car, should I worry about taking it to a shop and having it balanced, or assume that as a kit it should be fine. Short block is already assembled, but I'm taking it down to check everything for clearances.

Re: another stroker 340 question on balancing. [Re: cdp] #1743475
01/31/15 08:46 PM
01/31/15 08:46 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Are the OD of the counter weights turned down.. if
you dont see that or any other things that show you
its been balanced then YES take it to a shop for balancing
EDIT
Also the the Mallory/heavy metal to be installed properly
it should be installed from the side of the counter
weight... I have seen some installed on the face and
tacked in along with a press fit but that can still
fly out with revs

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 01/31/15 09:39 PM.
Re: another stroker 340 question on balancing. [Re: cdp] #1743476
01/31/15 10:48 PM
01/31/15 10:48 PM
USA
K
krw71ragtop Offline
super stock
krw71ragtop  Offline
super stock
K

USA
Quote:

It appears the stroker is an eagle forged crank, standard eagle rods, and wiseco pistons.

I've noticed the offered balanced and unbalanced kits. I don't see any mallory metal or specific machining for balancing,

for a street car, should I worry about taking it to a shop and having it balanced, or assume that as a kit it should be fine. Short block is already assembled, but I'm taking it down to check everything for clearances.

The first stroker kit I purchased was a pre balanced kit. Bolted it together and installed in the car. First trip down the road it buzzed the rear view mirror so bad you couldn't see anything in it.

I purchased a 408 that was just bolted together and not been run. Guess what ? I tor it down and had it checked for balance and the guy that does my balancing said the motor was way out of balance. I just checked the gap on the rings and there was .003" gap in the bottom rings. I also only had .040" piston to valve clearance. Some people just bolt them together and run it and hope for the best. I don't trust anybody and I check all my motors.
It will be a lot easier to balance it now and a lot less work later

Re: another stroker 340 question on balancing. [Re: krw71ragtop] #1743477
02/01/15 04:04 AM
02/01/15 04:04 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

The first stroker kit I purchased was a pre balanced kit. Bolted it together and installed in the car. First trip down the road it buzzed the rear view mirror so bad you couldn't see anything in it.

I purchased a 408 that was just bolted together and not been run. Guess what ? I tor it down and had it checked for balance and the guy that does my balancing said the motor was way out of balance. I just checked the gap on the rings and there was .003" gap in the bottom rings. I also only had .040" piston to valve clearance. Some people just bolt them together and run it and hope for the best. I don't trust anybody and I check all my motors.
It will be a lot easier to balance it now and a lot less work later

Who's pre balanced kit was that?

Re: another stroker 340 question on balancing. [Re: autoxcuda] #1743478
02/01/15 12:16 PM
02/01/15 12:16 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Unless it's a stock type rebuild I have them all balanced. IMO it's just part of building a performance engine, like measuring everything for proper clearances.