12/24/08 09:05 PM
12/24/08 09:05 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline OP
master
Mastershake340  Offline OP
master

Crook County, ILL
I'm posting this for my dad, he was telling me about a problem he's having with his '06 Town and Country minivan.
About a month ago it wouldn't start, everything seemed normal but when he turned the key nothing happened. He had the van towed in to the Chrysler dealer and they called him back later and said it started fine, they couldn't duplicate the problem.
It was fine then for a number of weeks but yesterday this happened again. He called for a tow but due to the bad weather/tons of cars in ditches and ta's, there was a day delay before a truck could be sent out. This morning he tried turning the key and it fired right up, so he called and cancelled the tow.
He mentioned another odd thing that may be related, when you open the door the keys in ignition chime sounds even if the key is not in the ignition.
He figures it is some sort of a glitch with a module that causes an interlock to prevent the ignition from functioning. He wants to take the van in to the dealer and tell them not to return it until they figure out and fix the problem. He doesn't want to be stranded someplace far away with a car that won't start.
I don't blame him, but have dealt with service departments before on intermittant problems that they won't do anything about because they are "unable to verify customer complaint".
Anybody ever experienced this problem who can shed some light on the remedy?

Re: 2006 Town and Country Van intermittant no start? [Re: Mastershake340] #174338
12/24/08 09:11 PM
12/24/08 09:11 PM
Tampa Florida
M
MoparTod Offline
enthusiast
MoparTod  Offline
enthusiast
M

Tampa Florida
Is the same key being used? The key module has to recognize the key. Try a different key maybe something is happening with the key. Also when it does not start try having your Dad hold the key in the start position and you go and tap on the starter with a hammer. He must be in the crank position. Dont whale on the starter but hit it a couple of times. If it starts replace the starter. Any security lights flashing on the dash? Tod

Re: 2006 Town and Country Van intermittant no start? [Re: MoparTod] #174339
12/24/08 09:59 PM
12/24/08 09:59 PM
Crook County, ILL
master
master

Crook County, ILL
He did tell me that he has two sets of keys and has tried both, so I don't think the coded key is the issue here.
If the starter was the culprit, wouldn't you hear a click or something when it doesn't work? I haven't had a late model car starter fail on me, however in the last year both my '95 Ram and my '70 Challenger's starters went bad on me, and both times I would hear a click sound when I turned the key, and if I turned the key multiple times it would finally start (except the Challenger, that worked on two dates, but the third time I found myself stranded at a cruise at 10 at night until a friend brought a hammer out and banged on it for a bit. Whoops......).

Re: 2006 Town and Country Van intermittant no start? [Re: Mastershake340] #174340
12/24/08 10:15 PM
12/24/08 10:15 PM
Winnipeg, MB
S
sreinheimer Offline
sreinheimer  Offline
S

Winnipeg, MB
We had one like this, where it would start most of the time and then it would decide to not start. We would tow it to the shop and it would start up everytime with no problem. We could never duplicate the problem. There would be nothing on the dash, no lights, odometer nothing with the key in and nothing when it cranks. It seemed like the theft system was on when it shouldnt have been. But what we found was the instrument cluster is its own module and when the starter would draw a certain voltage it would short out something in the cluster and cause a no start. We sent out the cluster to our electronics guyand the guy tested it and could reproduce the lock out type problem. He fixed whatever the problem was and we havent had a problem since. I hope this helps. The van was a 99 grand caravan.

69 Dodge Charger - first full resto 05 Dodge Magnum R/T
Re: 2006 Town and Country Van intermittant no start? [Re: sreinheimer] #174341
12/24/08 10:19 PM
12/24/08 10:19 PM
Crook County, ILL
master
master

Crook County, ILL
That does sound similiar to the problem with my dad's T&C. I'll forward that info on to him and hopefully it will help the service department figure out his problem.
Thanks!