State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
I had B block machined a couple years ago, just now getting it together and I found that the align hone was done with the original main bolts, not the ARP main studs I have. If bringing it back to the machine shop is not an option, would it be better to go with the studs or get some ARP main bolts, or no difference? Engine is 470" with a solid roller .240/.248 @ 0.050. 9.7:1 CR.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738036
01/25/15 03:16 AM
01/25/15 03:16 AM
In a house near you
S
Street Monkies Offline
Street Monkies  Offline
S

In a house near you
Probably could get away with using bolts with out any issues because it sounds like a street/strip type motor. If it were a more serious build with bigger cam, more cr, and so on I would definitely say studs only. The studs are way better because when you tap the block for threads you are going deeper into the block taking advantage of the blocks strength and allowing for a better clamp on the main caps.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738037
01/25/15 05:12 AM
01/25/15 05:12 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Do you have(or know someone who does) the nessecary mikes, inside and outside or snap gauges and outside mikes to measure the inside of the main caps torque down with both the bolts and then the studs? If so make those measurements, if they don't vary more than .0002 I would run it as long as the main bearing to crankshaft clearances are above .0030 If they vary more than .0003 I would ask the machine shop to redo the align hone with the studs like you paid them to do it the first time They can't fix it if you don't ask them or allow them to

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738038
01/25/15 01:18 PM
01/25/15 01:18 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I know I'll get ripped for this BUT I have gotten
lucky and installed studs without having it line bored..
put the studs and crank in it and see.. measure twice..
by the way... that engine is still running and still
turning some decently high revs

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Cab_Burge] #1738039
01/25/15 02:08 PM
01/25/15 02:08 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
Quote:

Do you have(or know someone who does) the nessecary mikes, inside and outside or snap gauges and outside mikes to measure the inside of the main caps torque down with both the bolts and then the studs?

Yes I am equipped to do that. Excellent advice. I probably would have figured that out eventually

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1738040
01/25/15 03:34 PM
01/25/15 03:34 PM
IL
knyech1 Offline
mopar
knyech1  Offline
mopar

IL
Quote:

I did the exact same thing haha. I am getting a girdle now, though, so I will be getting one this time.

knyech1- '71 Sassy Grass Demon 340/904. Pump gas, 1.61 60ft, 7.439 1/8 @ 95mph, 11.824 1/4 @ 111mph "Not too bad for a pump gas 340, full of used parts and hillbilly ported stock heads." - V.B. '03 2500 5.9L HO 6-spd on 35's. 395hp/755ft-lb at tires.
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1738041
01/25/15 05:27 PM
01/25/15 05:27 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

That's the worst possible thing you could ever do! - ok, just kidding, but it is winter - - - - -.

Fastest 300
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738042
01/25/15 07:12 PM
01/25/15 07:12 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
With your engine I would use the bolts, since that was what it was align honed with. The Studs, because their shank is fatter then the bolts are sure to push those caps out of their alignment. If you want to use the studs, redo the align hone for them.

Im sure your measurements will confirm that. You really don't need the studs though with your combo. But if the blocks still bare, use them and rehone.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Sport440] #1738043
01/25/15 08:01 PM
01/25/15 08:01 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
Quote:

With your engine I would use the bolts, since that was what it was align honed with. The Studs, because their shank is fatter then the bolts are sure to push those caps out of their alignment. If you want to use the studs, redo the align hone for them.

Im sure your measurements will confirm that. You really don't need the studs though with your combo. But if the blocks still bare, use them and rehone.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to reuse the original bolts, so would I need to re-hone if I get some ARP bolts?

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1738044
01/25/15 08:33 PM
01/25/15 08:33 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

Same here.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738045
01/25/15 09:16 PM
01/25/15 09:16 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to reuse the original bolts, so would I need to re-hone if I get some ARP bolts?

Don't know about just using the Arp bolts, but you have a better chance of not having to, vs uising the Studs IMO.

But, your going to measure anyways. You may get lucky as others have stated, Im betting not though, if you use the Studs. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Last edited by Sport440; 01/25/15 11:43 PM.
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738046
01/25/15 10:50 PM
01/25/15 10:50 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

If you don't reuse the original bolts, use the original bolt torque specs and you will stand a good chance of not having to do any remachining.

Fastest 300
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738047
01/25/15 11:45 PM
01/25/15 11:45 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

As long as the ARP bolts are torqued to the same value as the stock bolts , which they would be , not an issue.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: JohnRR] #1738048
01/26/15 12:43 AM
01/26/15 12:43 AM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As long as the ARP bolts are torqued to the same value as the stock bolts , which they would be , not an issue.

I have installed studs on the mains before and I really don't see how the cap can move a substantial amount after they are "tapped" into place How does the cap know what's holding it in place The only place the cap can move is fore and aft and #3 is the only cap that will really matter on the thrust surface
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1738049
01/26/15 01:03 AM
01/26/15 01:03 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Clamping force is applied differently from the coarse threads in the block to the fine threads on the top of the studs.

That is why bolts and studs CAN. Distort the caps differently when applied with the same amount of torque.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1738050
01/26/15 01:13 AM
01/26/15 01:13 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

]

I have installed studs on the mains before and I really don't see how the cap can move a "substantial" amount after they are "tapped" into place How does the cap know what's holding it in place The only place the cap can move is fore and aft and #3 is the only cap that will really matter on the thrust surface
Gus

Gus, John RR, is referring to ARP Bolts.

As far as the Cap moving with Studs. With a Wider shank of the stud, depending on how accurate the holes are drilled/indexed in the cap, the cap can be moved/nudged toward the crank.

I don't think the word "Substantial" is the correct word to use here A .001 bump on each side of the cap towards the crank for a total loss of .002 clearance is enough to screw things up. That is a Small amount, not a Substantial amount, but enough to screw things up. Enough to cause Substantial problems though

Last edited by Sport440; 01/26/15 01:15 AM.
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1738051
01/26/15 01:24 AM
01/26/15 01:24 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have installed studs on the mains before and I really don't see how the cap can move a substantial amount after they are "tapped" into place How does the cap know what's holding it in place The only place the cap can move is fore and aft and #3 is the only cap that will really matter on the thrust surface
Gus

It has nothing to do with the caps moving ... the caps are located in the block by the register step in the block ... studs are torqued to a different value than bolts ... HIGHER ... this higher value can/will distort the main bores ... make them not round.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: JohnRR] #1738052
01/26/15 12:21 PM
01/26/15 12:21 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

It has nothing to do with the caps moving ... the caps are located in the block by the register step in the block ... studs are torqued to a different value than bolts ... HIGHER ... this higher value can/will distort the main bores ... make them not round.

that's why you go with better bolts or studs to start with - for the additional clamping power - which of course you would defeat by using the same torque spec as the factory bolts. As said, only real way is to measure, but why pay for better stuff if you are not going to utilize it. If I remember correctly, factory main bolts = 90 ft lbs. ARP studs = 105 ft lbs. Those are recommended torque specs. 15 additional lbs will most likely require remachining the bores. If the OP is trying to stay away from remachining costs, maybe a new set of factory bolts would be a good compromise .

Fastest 300
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738053
01/26/15 01:41 PM
01/26/15 01:41 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I would NEVER do it................If it`s machined for bolts just get some new arp bolts and move on...............Helped George Koopal build a 427 chevy for a dragster that went 7.98 w/stock main bolts...........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: JohnRR] #1738054
01/27/15 01:36 AM
01/27/15 01:36 AM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

So just to be clear you guys have actually measured the bore after you installed studs and and torqued the caps an aditional 15 pounds and could actually measure the distortion of the cap
This claim wil go into the trash with laying a crankshaft on it's side will ruin it More excuses for an engine builder when he has one that scattered
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Page 1 of 2 1 2