C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

I'll let you guys imagine how much fun it is to change belts in a ride as tight as the Arrow..

I think 'tight' is the key word here....

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CHAPPER] #1733203
01/23/15 06:18 PM
01/23/15 06:18 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Online content
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Online Content
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
How many of the ones who think this petition is such a great idea have been at the track when someone was killed? How many have a friend who was a great guy and had a successful business, but now can't feed or dress themselves? How many have had to help clean up the mess when someone crippled themselves by wrecking a piece of crap with too much horsepower?

The only time any motor sports are mentioned in the main stream press is when somebody gets killed or crippled. Great image. No wonder John Q. Public thinks we're a bunch of hilljacks, rednecks, and borderline retards. You Tube is full of stupid crap. That's real helpful for those who are trying to run a clean, buttoned down operation and get some support for it.

It's taken a lot of people getting hurt and killed over the years to end up with the rules we have, and frankly, I can't believe we are having this conversation over a $65 set of seat belts. Really?

This chart is from the SFI website. Now you can tell me about picking cars up at the junkyard by the belts or the flawed testing process, but until you show me your engineering degree and your own test results proving this wrong, I don't care.

Now if they started a petition to encourage the sanctions to crack down on tracks that have zero tech, let junk go down the track and people to kill and cripple themselves due to their own stupidity, I'll sign that one. That would be infinitely more helpful for everyone.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733204
01/23/15 06:24 PM
01/23/15 06:24 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work OP
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work OP
"Little"John

PA.
So you don't think companies should work towards making a better product

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733205
01/23/15 07:09 PM
01/23/15 07:09 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

This chart is from the SFI website.

Yes, note it states "outdoor exposure."

You leave your belts outside 24/7 for 2 years? It doesn't take someone with a degree to point out how absurd this is.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733206
01/23/15 07:50 PM
01/23/15 07:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

How many of the ones who think this petition is such a great idea have been at the track when someone was killed? How many have a friend who was a great guy and had a successful business, but now can't feed or dress themselves? How many have had to help clean up the mess when someone crippled themselves by wrecking a piece of crap with too much horsepower?

The only time any motor sports are mentioned in the main stream press is when somebody gets killed or crippled. Great image. No wonder John Q. Public thinks we're a bunch of hilljacks, rednecks, and borderline retards. You Tube is full of stupid crap. That's real helpful for those who are trying to run a clean, buttoned down operation and get some support for it.

It's taken a lot of people getting hurt and killed over the years to end up with the rules we have, and frankly, I can't believe we are having this conversation over a $65 set of seat belts. Really?

This chart is from the SFI website. Now you can tell me about picking cars up at the junkyard by the belts or the flawed testing process, but until you show me your engineering degree and your own test results proving this wrong, I don't care.

Now if they started a petition to encourage the sanctions to crack down on tracks that have zero tech, let junk go down the track and people to kill and cripple themselves due to their own stupidity, I'll sign that one. That would be infinitely more helpful for everyone.

If I were allowed to take data with me when I retired
I'd be more than happy to show you data that contradicts
this.... but Chrysler doesnt allow data to be taken...
but even with 2" belts they last for YEARS in a car...
otherwise they would fail impact and warranty

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Eric] #1733207
01/23/15 08:02 PM
01/23/15 08:02 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

I'll let you guys imagine how much fun it is to change belts in a ride as tight as the Arrow..

i know, and it's not fun

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: gdonovan] #1733208
01/23/15 08:46 PM
01/23/15 08:46 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

This chart is from the SFI website.

Yes, note it states "outdoor exposure."

You leave your belts outside 24/7 for 2 years? It doesn't take someone with a degree to point out how absurd this is.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733209
01/23/15 09:07 PM
01/23/15 09:07 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Where is your proof that this graph was done by someone with an engineering degree? Some clown on a computer could have drawed that graph up on a computer to show what they wanted it to show!You have heard Mr_P say that he had done test on belts as well as others and none of us believe that our belts need replacing after 2 years.Do you have any kind of degree that says you know more than the rest of us on here?

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733210
01/23/15 09:41 PM
01/23/15 09:41 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
But I use SPF 50 on my belts, and a sweater when its cold, and I heard that heat also effects the strength.

Boy those engineers (graphic artists) sure know how to keep us scared.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: jcc] #1733211
01/23/15 09:48 PM
01/23/15 09:48 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
They have the dog poop scared out of me. I am going to J.C.Penny's and buying a new set of water proof long johns so I can cut the legs off and slip them over my precious seat belts.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733212
01/23/15 09:58 PM
01/23/15 09:58 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Online content
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Online Content
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Nope, no engineering degree. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I can show you papers written by engineers and experts in the textile industry confirming that information. Google is your friend. Harness manufactures and SFI have to rely on the people who make the webbing (Dupont) for this information. They can't just make it up.

The 16.1 harness is required in most everything running quicker than 11.50 up to and including Pro Stock and even the fuel classes with the addition of a few mounting points. I would expect the standards to be more stringent for a harness expected to do its job in a 300+ MPH application. Overkill for an 11 second car? Probably. But having 1 spec, instead of multiple specs depending on ET with the resulting confusion, is OK with me. If it was a lot of money, that would be different. You can buy belts for $70.

And I have known guys who had no garage and had their race car sitting on an open trailer beside their house year round. Designers and engineers have to consider worst case situations. Sitting out in the sun in a car in south Florida year round. 300lb. dude driving his Pro Mod into the wall at 260. Any idea of the load put on the restraint system in that scenario?

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733213
01/23/15 10:20 PM
01/23/15 10:20 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
You stuff a 300 lb dude in a Pro-Mod car its not gonna be about keeping him in the car its gonna be more about getting his fat butt back out of the car!

A Pro-Mod sitting out behind a shop a year...no way after about 2 weeks some Jack A$$ will be long gone with it!

Maybe in the "Good O'll Day's you could have left your race car sitting out behind the shop year round,but in the present you can't even leave your oil drain pan out behind the shop with out someone stealing it!I would like to see the SFI make some belts where you could leave your race car sitting behind the shop year round that some thief could not cut and steal your race car!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 01/23/15 10:29 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733214
01/23/15 10:49 PM
01/23/15 10:49 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Go to any big money five-day bracket race and you will find dragsters and roadsters sitting outside in the sun all day long for the entire week....covered with tarps only over-night....some of these teams carry 4-5 dragsters in a trailer....they don't put them away every night....they would rather party

And these guys race week after week chasing the big buck races....they get their share of wear&tear

Rickster

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1733215
01/23/15 10:50 PM
01/23/15 10:50 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
How come passenger car seat belts are safe for over 2 years? The number of potential lawsuits for passenger cars would be infinite compared to the number of racecar related lawsuits. A weak belt is a weak belt regardless if the crash is at 80 mph or over 100 mph. Are a new Hellcats belts unsafe after 2 years? They're still legal. If the belts were only 20% efficient after 2 years would production car use them, possibly. A point that hasn't been discussed is this. Do 20% belts still exceed the necessary strength to retain the driver safely?
Doug

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: dvw] #1733216
01/23/15 10:59 PM
01/23/15 10:59 PM
PA.
"Little"John
"Little"John

PA.
Sooooo Dupont saids the belts are only good for 2 years and Dupont makes more money because of it. Imagine that. That's exactly what I read when I googled SFI. The voice that dictates is the hand that produces. There you have it. By the way underwear over two years old should be replaced according to reports released by Hanes.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: CMcAllister] #1733217
01/23/15 11:14 PM
01/23/15 11:14 PM
Mesa, AZ
B
Bill_T Offline
mopar
Bill_T  Offline
mopar
B

Mesa, AZ
It appears that the manufacturers themselves supply the funding for SFI (started with SEMA). Is the fox guarding the hen house?

Note the phrasing in the negative of 16.1:

"2.12 The useful life of the webbing in the straps shall not exceed two years and they must be replaced at or before that time. Only the original manufacturer can re-web an assembly prior to re-certifying."

Why not: "the useful life of the webbing shall be not less than x years....."

Check the Disclaimer:

"14.0 STATEMENT OF LIMITATIONS
Testing procedures and/or standards contained in this specification are intended for use only as a guide in determining compliance with the minimum performance requirements as defined herein. The granting and assignment of the "This Manufacturer Certifies That This
Product Meets SFI Specification 16. 1" logo/designation is in no way an endorsement or certification of product performance or reliability by SFI. SFI, its officers, directors and/or members assume no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for failure or malfunctions of a product under this program."

SAE could propound an aftermarket belt or racing standard. They have a number of seat belt standards already. No reason NHRA couldn't petition and adopt that instead....

This space not for rent.
Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Bill_T] #1733218
01/23/15 11:50 PM
01/23/15 11:50 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
"14.0 STATEMENT OF LIMITATIONS
Testing procedures and/or standards contained in this specification are intended for use only as a guide in determining compliance with the minimum performance requirements as defined herein. The granting and assignment of the "This Manufacturer Certifies That This
Product Meets SFI Specification 16. 1" logo/designation is in no way an endorsement or certification of product performance or reliability by SFI. SFI, its officers, directors and/or members assume no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for failure or malfunctions of a product under this program."

SAE could propound an aftermarket belt or racing standard. They have a number of seat belt standards already. No reason NHRA couldn't petition and adopt that instead....

Yes indeed... why not use the SAE standards... a
auto company runs MILLIONS more cars with the SAE
standard on the belts... we have to have them last
in most cases(and longer) 10 years(that is the warranty)
for most cars when it comes to the safety... the
saferty equipment in production cars is longer than
the engine/chassis warranty.... can you imagine the
law suits any car company would have with a seat belt
failure..a failure there is easy to spot.. I've been
to court cases for Chrysler on fuel related cases
and in those the belts were still in tact(fire)..
yes they may have melted after the car was sitting
there burning... but still in tact ... just saying

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1733219
01/24/15 01:11 AM
01/24/15 01:11 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Frankly factory belt specs really don't matter. They are NEVER tight, except in the case of an impact, which may be never. They are not pulled and tugged on through tightening clamps hundreds of times. They are not stressed at the point of attachment, at some odd angles and they are NOT designed to keep YOU and your SEAT, anchored in a car in the event of a high speed........like 200+ mph impact. The vast majority of "street" accidents are at speeds of 40 mph or less. The majority of racing accidents are at speeds in excess of 100mph.

Simple question......if your "street" car were capable of the speeds that your "race" car is, would you be confident in your factory restraint system keeping you in the car, in the event of a high speed crash. If your answer to that is yes.........well I guess that makes you a much braver man than me. Because my answer would be HELL NO. And I don't car if you can pick up a Sherman tank with a stock seat belt......I wouldn't trust it in my race car. Somebody mentioned junkyards pulling motors with stock seat belts..........well I would HOPE so, seeing the average small block is less than 600lbs. When we used to go "junking" all the time, I have pulled motors with some old pieces of rope we found lying around. You know what that means......NOTHING.......unless of course that signifies that we should trust a piece of old rope to be "good enough".........after all, you can pull a motor with it.

Monte

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733220
01/24/15 01:23 AM
01/24/15 01:23 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Frankly factory belt specs really don't matter. They are NEVER tight, except in the case of an impact, which may be never. They are not pulled and tugged on through tightening clamps hundreds of times. They are not stressed at the point of attachment, at some odd angles and they are NOT designed to keep YOU and your SEAT, anchored in a car in the event of a high speed........like 200+ mph impact. The vast majority of "street" accidents are at speeds of 40 mph or less. The majority of racing accidents are at speeds in excess of 100mph.

Simple question......if your "street" car were capable of the speeds that your "race" car is, would you be confident in your factory restraint system keeping you in the car, in the event of a high speed crash. If your answer to that is yes.........well I guess that makes you a much braver man than me. Because my answer would be HELL NO. And I don't car if you can pick up a Sherman tank with a stock seat belt......I wouldn't trust it in my race car. Somebody mentioned junkyards pulling motors with stock seat belts..........well I would HOPE so, seeing the average small block is less than 600lbs. When we used to go "junking" all the time, I have pulled motors with some old pieces of rope we found lying around. You know what that means......NOTHING.......unless of course that signifies that we should trust a piece of old rope to be "good enough".........after all, you can pull a motor with it.

Monte

Monte... maybe you dont know what the hell your talking
about... BELTS are a containment system.. in your
street car or race car... a street car uses a 2" system
and the race car uses a 3" system... both do the SAME
damn job... the cage keeps you from the big hurt..
I quit.... whether I were to supply you with data
I would be full of SH!T...as usual you MUST be right...
BUT I totally disagree

Re: Petition to change seat-belt rule from 2 to 5 years. [Re: Monte_Smith] #1733221
01/24/15 01:40 AM
01/24/15 01:40 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Monte.. lets do this a different way.. a 3" belt has
more stretch over a 2" belt... do you agree.. in a
race car you are wearing 4.. 3" belts and a 2" dive
strap.. do you agree.. in a street car you wear a
lap belt of 2" and a single 2" shoulder belt... this
simple system keeps a person in the car on impact...
as does the 3" system... the cage is what keeps the
big hurt off of us.. both in a street car or the
race car... the belt keeps you in the seat.. and
if the seat mounting is wimpy you STILL get hurt..
but yet no one puts the big value on this(NHRA OR
SFI)

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13