St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline OP
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline OP
top fuel
D

We finally got the RR to move under its own power a week ago. The engine is a 452, the last Mopar built by Dan Costello. We went with a tunnel ram (my idea for better or worse) and 2 Holley Ultra HP 600's. Still running the 833 (time bomb I am sure but so far a straight cut non-synchronized Nash has not appeared on the doorstep).

Fitted a Mallory 140 pump with a set of RobbMC filters and dual mode regulator. At some point in the future I will convert it to a return style, currently it is deadhead.

Anyway, we finally got all the bits sorted. Michelle as usual was in the thick of it helping with the assembly.

Realized old exhaust system will not work with the new headers. Fortunately the old collector extensions still fit. Curiously, the right side header lines up beautifully with the clearance bit in the torsion bar crossmember. The driver side (left side) is well outboard. Who knows.

So, hook everything up. Check most fluids; oil, water, rum. Did not check brake fluid....

Fired it up after a couple of tries, mainly due to not sure how much pumping the tunnel ram liked. After checking fuel pressure (stupid Summit gauge read 3.5 psi out of the box so I just set the pressure to the delta) backed her out under her own power. After a 20 point turn to get her pointed uphill went for it. Stalled it at the top of the driveway. Decided to roll back down and try again from bottom. Problem. Engine is now off. Brakes not working well. Car sort of sliding on loose grass and sticks we had thrown into low spots of driveway. Trying to steer in reverse and avoid Michelle's 88. Actually succeeded. Popped the brake reservoir cover. Added fluid. Made mental note to figure out where fluid went. Brakes pump up okay, and will not see more than 1st gear. Try again on driveway. Stall again, but this time do not roll back. Fire it up again. After some hard hits get her up and over the tricky bit. Land Rovers will spoil you, they go anywhere with no effort, had not realized the top part of the driveway is tricky. Once up on road regroup. Michelle brings camera and Hoover the dog. Takes a picture of the Prima Donna up on the road for the first time in a significant amount of time. Well, have to find out if car can handle road. Started motoring down. After a while realized easier to just coast. The Milodon road race pan is fantastic. Made it down to our old place with no new dents in oil pan, a first for Blue Mountain. Delivered Hoover, returned the air compressor we had borrowed, then motored back up. Went surprisingly well for those stupid 225-14 tires with which these cars were originally equipped (think ground clearance, why anyone tries to reduce ground clearance is beyond me). Now have to make a mould off the original bonnet for a carbon fibre/Nomex core lift off bonnet. In the meantime, a Rubbermaid tote works the treat to cover the air filters.

Hopefully street legality will occur in the next few weeks as the track might open up Agricultural Fair weekend in mid February.

Pic at top of driveway on road, Michelle took a few videos but not sure what to do for those in terms of uploading:

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Runs, finally [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #1728674
01/13/15 01:02 AM
01/13/15 01:02 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
That car is bad ass I love it, I like the white headers too. Did those just come off or did they go on?

Tell us more about the build.

Upload the videos to youtube and post them. Did she take them on an iPhone? If you go to the send menu (like to send them in a text) you can upload them right to youtube if you have an account.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 01/13/15 01:15 AM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Runs, finally [Re: GTX MATT] #1728675
01/13/15 06:34 PM
01/13/15 06:34 PM
, PA
sleepyhead416 Offline
top fuel
sleepyhead416  Offline
top fuel

, PA
COOL I'll be down your way March 30

Re: Runs, finally [Re: sleepyhead416] #1728676
01/13/15 06:57 PM
01/13/15 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have always liked the look of velocity stacks.

Re: Runs, finally [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #1728677
01/13/15 07:04 PM
01/13/15 07:04 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
LOL... most of us dont need 4WD just to get up our
drive ways when it isnt snowing... thats why we tend
to lower them... glad its back up and running... check
out those brakes... fluid just doesnt disappear without
a leak

Re: Runs, finally [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1728678
01/14/15 10:30 PM
01/14/15 10:30 PM
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline OP
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the brake situation will be thoroughly investigated.

The build: It is a pretty standard 400 based 452 with a steel 440 crank. Compression I believe is around 10:1 as it runs on pump 91 as that is what most stations here carry although I have been told the 91 was really 93. As the refinery closed about 3 years ago no idea if that is still the case, especially as the refinery which was functioning as a tank farm is even closing that so fuel is currently coming in on tanker trucks from Puerto Rico on local freighters. Might be time to plant sugar cane on our acreage and switch to ethanol for the RR and the 88 and castor oil based biodiesel for the 109. Heads are Edelbrock Performer RPMS that have been cleaned up with a decent valve job by Dan Costello. Cam is a solid roller, invoice says 257/267 with .600 lift. Not sure if that is at .050 off the seat or not, I expect so. Obviously I will never have the cam card. Rockers are Harland-Sharp 1.6 ratio. Tunnel ram is a Weiand for a low deck, carbs are Holley Ultra HP 600's
Headers are Hooker Comps (5903 HKR), painted with VHT header paint, both the primer and white top coat. Way back when Dan modified the Mopar distributor for advance etc.

Flywheel is a Mcleod aluminium 143 tooth, new as the old flywheel was too far gone. I like the concept of just replacing the steel inserts as needed. The clutch is a Tim Hyatt built Mcleod based soft lock. Bell housing standard Lakewood. Tranny is a 23 spline, I rebuilt it a few years back with parts from Jamie Passon. Rear is a Strange S-60 with a tru-trac and 4.3 gears.

A few wiring issues from sitting have to be sorted but nothing insurmountable.

I never got the final dyno sheets but some ones from before it was finally tuned were in the 550 ft-lbf range for torque and a little under that for HP, which Dan thought was a timing issue.

There actually is a chassis dyno down here so might put it on there to see what it gets but primarily to check installed in car air fuel ratios etc.

I got David Vizard's book How to super tune and modify Holley carburetors which was very informative. When I get a wideband it will be useful if anything seems off.

Oh, right, YouTube, duh. Will post the videos, they are not very
exciting but gives the flavor of the place.

Best, Dave

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Runs, finally [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #1728679
01/15/15 08:47 PM
01/15/15 08:47 PM
Sydney,Australia
tex013 Offline
top fuel
tex013  Offline
top fuel

Sydney,Australia
nice effort for living in the jungle
makes our roads look nice .
that oil pan is one of the best things I have done

Tex

New best ET 10.259@129.65 .
New best MPH 130.32
Finally fitted a solid cam,
stepped it up a bit more
3690lbs through the mufflers
New World block 3780lbs 10.278@130.80 . Wowser 10.253@130.24 footbraking from 1500rpm
Power by Tex's Automotive