M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Question for Monte= At what point did you start to experience trouble with different types of plug wires? I run a digital seven MSD unit, alky,(actually M5, which has about 5 percent nitroparafins in it) .027 gap, 15/1 compression, Blue Max wires.

You will PROBABLY never have a problem on a car with carbs and a standard ignition. Again, EFI cars is where we see it......................And you tell somebody that and you get the "well, every Pro-Stocker I have ever seen has Moroso wires".............well so what, we are NOT building a damn Pro-Stocker. We have a twin turbo big block, making 3500hp. What do wires on a Pro-Stocker have to with that. Everybody wants to relate to something other than what they are doing................But see, HERE is where I generally do things different. When I learn something, I try to APPLY that knowledge. Now when I see that a certain wire causes problems on an EFI car, I won't put it on ANY car, why would I. Problems on any combo, tells me that wire is not as good as another wire, and COULD potentially cause an issue with electronics, so why use the inferior product, even though it seems to "work good enough" on some cars. Just like this whole damn thread about wiring. I KNOW FOR A FACT, the "floating ground" has worked better for me and solved some issues. That alone, tells me that it is better, regardless of the application, so why not use it and avoid a problem BEFORE you have it. If you only do what you have ALWAYS done, or what was "good enough" you will NEVER be better............I always strive to be BETTER.

I understand money and budgets............but a LOT of this stuff just simply boils down to guys wanting to do it "cheap and easy"

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722112
01/10/15 03:58 PM
01/10/15 03:58 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Lots of great information in this thread. Doug thank you for sharing the opinion of the engineers from your work place. That is good food for thought. And Monte we all appreciate you wealth of knowledge and I understand what you are saying concerning applied knowledge vs. theoretical. In my line of work we call is "paralysis by analysis". I am famous in my group for fixing stuff "by ear" and having everything back up and running before the other guys finds the right page in the manual. Lol not to say that hasn't bit me in the butt a few times but live and learn. I stopped in shop sr. on the way to the house last night and took a quick peak at my red charger mentioned early on in this thread. It has the following:

1) Ground lead from passenger head to firewall
2) Ground lead from driver head to k-member
3) Floating ground tied to firewall and d/s frame rail
(this is where all of the MSD, 2-step, tach, etc. ground land)
4) Battery is grounded to stud on p/s rear frame rail
5) Battery + is landed on the starter relay stud. All 12V+ is fed from this point. The alternator also lands here to partially bypass the ammeter.

*frame connectors are welded in*

I know it's not a mega dollar EFI deal and not even a race car but it does get miles and abuse making a good test bed. My point in saying all of this is that even though I have the battery grounded "locally" the car does use all of the other methods that you mentioned. I feel that there is validity in both sides. It's better to design a clean, well thought out system than to chase your tail finding gremlins along the way. Thanks again to all contributors. We are working on rewiring the black Charger and this is a great thread to get the creative juices flowing.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722113
01/10/15 04:14 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

The thing about THIS site in particular, is that experience with something is of little to no use. Because when you say something that others don't agree with, they are going to search out enough "experts" to debunk your input and say "see, I told you".

Just like all this talk about factory cars........I DON'T care. We are not talking about factory cars.

What I DO know, is that EFI race cars with high HP applications are VERY sensitive to noise and how they are wired. I found this out by having serious issues with a customers car and searching out some help to solve that problem. Rewiring the car with the "floating" ground system FIXED that car. I have since wired several other cars with that system and had ZERO problems. I guess I could have "argued" with the guy that told me to do that and tried to shoot his theory all full of holes..........but instead, I noticed that he had a LOT of really fast cars out there that he had wired up. "Hey, this guy must know something" was my thoughts........he did.

Bottom line, I was only trying to pass on some information that worked for me, NOT get in a theoretical debate. So guys just need to do what they want or are comfortable with..........because it really doesn't matter to me

Monte

I'm not disputing that your fix repaired your issues. I guess I'm coming off wrong. We both agreed that the roll cage works in many instances. My digging was to find out why your method overcame the issue. So far I haven't been able to understand why it worked, which obviously it has. There are different methods to diagnose a problem. Use scientific knowledge or try things and see what works. Both have their merits. Many times there is no choice. We just have to work it out and see what happens. What I think is beneficial is learning how all systems function. Hopefully this discussion has done that. I'm still curious. If I knew why your method fixed your issue I might be able to use that knowledge to repair a future problem. I didn't mean to seem argumentative, just trying to learn.
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722114
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
Guys also forget every car is different.
I have been EFI since the 90's. My Valiant has hundreds of runs on it. I try'd to use most of the stuff I knew worked on that car for my new turbo car. Bottom line is I had trouble last year fighting issues that only showed up in the upper RPM making 20 psi of boost or more. I ran grounds everywhere. From heads to battery, From relays to battery, From frame to battery.
you name it I changed it. And only made very small improvements. So when Monty suggests something in a post like this I will take his advice and make the recommended changes and try again

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722115
01/10/15 11:39 PM
01/10/15 11:39 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Question for Monte= At what point did you start to experience trouble with different types of plug wires? I run a digital seven MSD unit, alky,(actually M5, which has about 5 percent nitroparafins in it) .027 gap, 15/1 compression, Blue Max wires.

You will PROBABLY never have a problem on a car with carbs and a standard ignition. Again, EFI cars is where we see it......................And you tell somebody that and you get the "well, every Pro-Stocker I have ever seen has Moroso wires".............well so what, we are NOT building a damn Pro-Stocker. We have a twin turbo big block, making 3500hp. What do wires on a Pro-Stocker have to with that. Everybody wants to relate to something other than what they are doing................But see, HERE is where I generally do things different. When I learn something, I try to APPLY that knowledge. Now when I see that a certain wire causes problems on an EFI car, I won't put it on ANY car, why would I. Problems on any combo, tells me that wire is not as good as another wire, and COULD potentially cause an issue with electronics, so why use the inferior product, even though it seems to "work good enough" on some cars. Just like this whole damn thread about wiring. I KNOW FOR A FACT, the "floating ground" has worked better for me and solved some issues. That alone, tells me that it is better, regardless of the application, so why not use it and avoid a problem BEFORE you have it. If you only do what you have ALWAYS done, or what was "good enough" you will NEVER be better............I always strive to be BETTER.

I understand money and budgets............but a LOT of this stuff just simply boils down to guys wanting to do it "cheap and easy"

Monte

You need to go back and read the OP's post - he is building a "street Dart" - long ways from a 3500HP what ever. Then you need to reread your first post to me. Maybe you won't have such a singular point of view on the subject. Not everything that DOESN'T work for you or on your application should automatically be classified as inferior to what you are using or doing!! Jeeeese!

Fastest 300
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722116
01/11/15 02:10 AM
01/11/15 02:10 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
This has been an excellent read. I've had to read some of the posts 3 or 4 times to get it to sink in. Excellent views.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722117
01/11/15 02:40 AM
01/11/15 02:40 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

You need to go back and read the OP's post - he is building a "street Dart" - long ways from a 3500HP what ever. Then you need to reread your first post to me. Maybe you won't have such a singular point of view on the subject. Not everything that DOESN'T work for you or on your application should automatically be classified as inferior to what you are using or doing!! Jeeeese!

Your right, how dare I give an opposing point of view to the "slap it on the frame and go, it's good enough" point of view. You're right, I'm wrong........happy??

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722118
01/11/15 03:21 AM
01/11/15 03:21 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

The thing about THIS site in particular, is that experience with something is of little to no use. Because when you say something that others don't agree with, they are going to search out enough "experts" to debunk your input and say "see, I told you".

Just like all this talk about factory cars........I DON'T care. We are not talking about factory cars.

What I DO know, is that EFI race cars with high HP applications are VERY sensitive to noise and how they are wired. I found this out by having serious issues with a customers car and searching out some help to solve that problem. Rewiring the car with the "floating" ground system FIXED that car. I have since wired several other cars with that system and had ZERO problems. I guess I could have "argued" with the guy that told me to do that and tried to shoot his theory all full of holes..........but instead, I noticed that he had a LOT of really fast cars out there that he had wired up. "Hey, this guy must know something" was my thoughts........he did.

Bottom line, I was only trying to pass on some information that worked for me, NOT get in a theoretical debate. So guys just need to do what they want or are comfortable with..........because it really doesn't matter to me

Monte

I'm not disputing that your fix repaired your issues. I guess I'm coming off wrong. We both agreed that the roll cage works in many instances. My digging was to find out why your method overcame the issue. So far I haven't been able to understand why it worked, which obviously it has. There are different methods to diagnose a problem. Use scientific knowledge or try things and see what works. Both have their merits. Many times there is no choice. We just have to work it out and see what happens. What I think is beneficial is learning how all systems function. Hopefully this discussion has done that. I'm still curious. If I knew why your method fixed your issue I might be able to use that knowledge to repair a future problem. I didn't mean to seem argumentative, just trying to learn.
Doug

The answer is very easy actually. We know EMI noise is a very REAL issue, on normal and high HP applications. High HP cars have tremendous cylinder pressure, meaning VERY hard to light off. This taxes the ignition system VERY heavily. When that happens, you get spikes, flyback voltage and all sorts of other things that can wreck havoc on somewhat delicate sensors.

FastMop is talking about a high rpm miss when the boost gets up.....SOMETHING is noisy. Slammed R/T has a TPS issue........SOMETHING is noisy. If EVERYTHING on the car is grounded to one big ground circuit, the chassis, NOTHING is "clean". Ground the water or fuel pump, to the same stud where the ECU or ignition box is and you are ASKING to have a problem, even on a carbed car. Most take the ground circuit of their car for granted, when it is EASILY the MOST important electrical circuit on the whole damn car.

MrP and other tech are talking about ground issues, burning up wheel bearings and trans parts. How does that happen?.....backfeeds, spikes and other things from a poorly performing ground system is how. I had a customer fight a high speed miss in an IHRA Pro-Stocker for TWO years. Rewired the car a couple times, as well as replaced EVERY electrical part on it. Turned out, the chassis had become magnetized and was wrecking the ignition system at high rpm. Far fetched, YES, but it happened. So how did they fix it? "Floating ground" and took the chassis out of the equation. I didn't fix it or find it.....somebody MUCH smarter than me did, but what I DID do was pay attention to what he was telling me.

Just like I mentioned the "factory" LS coils earlier. They are regarded as very good "hotrod" coils and they are. There are millions of them on the road causing ZERO issues on factory cars. We had no problems with them either, when coupled with the Holley ECUs, until some turbo guys starting making SERIOUS boost. Our boxes have 5 times the filtering of a factory GM ECU, yet these guys were smoking our boxes right and left. We tested them at the plant and they were great until you put them in a REALLY high stress environment, ie HIGH cylinder pressure and then the "flyback" voltage became crazy high. Enough to smoke ECUs. So now our boxes have enough filtering to probably work on the damn space shuttle..........This was the reason I said earlier that I don't CARE how factory cars are wired, because it is NOT an apples to apples comparison. Some seem to forget, I work FOR Holley and have access to some very high tech testing equipment, procedures and data. I don't say this stuff just to hear myself talk, or because I THINK it's right. I have SEEN it. We have a chamber, that I can completely PUT THE FIRE OUT of an MSD 10 box, with pressure. If you could see what happens inside that cell, when we load a chamber that hard, some of this would be MUCH easier to understand

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722119
01/11/15 05:25 AM
01/11/15 05:25 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
So you would ground cylinder heads and ecu to the buss bar? My thinking is anything with an electric motor, fans,fuel pump,wipers,wp etc. should NOT be grounded to the buss bar?

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722120
01/11/15 11:12 AM
01/11/15 11:12 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Doug

The answer is very easy actually. We know EMI noise is a very REAL issue, on normal and high HP applications. High HP cars have tremendous cylinder pressure, meaning VERY hard to light off. This taxes the ignition system VERY heavily. When that happens, you get spikes, flyback voltage and all sorts of other things that can wreck havoc on somewhat delicate sensors.

FastMop is talking about a high rpm miss when the boost gets up.....SOMETHING is noisy. Slammed R/T has a TPS issue........SOMETHING is noisy. If EVERYTHING on the car is grounded to one big ground circuit, the chassis, NOTHING is "clean". Ground the water or fuel pump, to the same stud where the ECU or ignition box is and you are ASKING to have a problem, even on a carbed car. Most take the ground circuit of their car for granted, when it is EASILY the MOST important electrical circuit on the whole damn car.

MrP and other tech are talking about ground issues, burning up wheel bearings and trans parts. How does that happen?.....backfeeds, spikes and other things from a poorly performing ground system is how. I had a customer fight a high speed miss in an IHRA Pro-Stocker for TWO years. Rewired the car a couple times, as well as replaced EVERY electrical part on it. Turned out, the chassis had become magnetized and was wrecking the ignition system at high rpm. Far fetched, YES, but it happened. So how did they fix it? "Floating ground" and took the chassis out of the equation. I didn't fix it or find it.....somebody MUCH smarter than me did, but what I DID do was pay attention to what he was telling me.

Just like I mentioned the "factory" LS coils earlier. They are regarded as very good "hotrod" coils and they are. There are millions of them on the road causing ZERO issues on factory cars. We had no problems with them either, when coupled with the Holley ECUs, until some turbo guys starting making SERIOUS boost. Our boxes have 5 times the filtering of a factory GM ECU, yet these guys were smoking our boxes right and left. We tested them at the plant and they were great until you put them in a REALLY high stress environment, ie HIGH cylinder pressure and then the "flyback" voltage became crazy high. Enough to smoke ECUs. So now our boxes have enough filtering to probably work on the damn space shuttle..........This was the reason I said earlier that I don't CARE how factory cars are wired, because it is NOT an apples to apples comparison. Some seem to forget, I work FOR Holley and have access to some very high tech testing equipment, procedures and data. I don't say this stuff just to hear myself talk, or because I THINK it's right. I have SEEN it. We have a chamber, that I can completely PUT THE FIRE OUT of an MSD 10 box, with pressure. If you could see what happens inside that cell, when we load a chamber that hard, some of this would be MUCH easier to understand

Monte

No, this is is exactly what I was looking for. I believe the sensors, TPS etc should have no issue if shielded. Now even with a factory coil the amount of energy your feeding it is WAY higher than the factory. For what it's worth we chased a FAST EFI on a 6.1 that would only run the firing order 1,8,4,3,1,8,4,3, etc. It turned out to be a magnetized cam basket. Even though the scope trace of the Cam sensor was perfectly normal.
In both cases it would be interesting to understand how either part became magnetized. My thought is that more amperage draw was causing the issue, but the starter draws more amps than an ignition box. Welding is another area where a lot of amperage has been fed through. (our cam basket had been welded). Now I'm wondering if it's not high voltage instead. From what I've learned flyback, magnetic noise, and electrical noise are three separate issues. I'll go back and discuss these issue's with my guys and report back.
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722121
01/11/15 01:16 PM
01/11/15 01:16 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
I have SEEN it. We have a chamber, that I can completely PUT THE FIRE OUT of an MSD 10 box, with pressure. If you could see what happens inside that cell, when we load a chamber that hard, some of this would be MUCH easier to understand

Monte

This would be nice to see. Possible to get a video?

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722122
01/11/15 01:22 PM
01/11/15 01:22 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Great web sight you have Monte. After spending some time watching them run at Vegas this year, I have a new found respect for the "Pro Mod" classes. When it comes to drag racing, chose guys ( and cars )are for sure in a league of their own. I am not too old to understand that there is no place for Chassis grounds in that arena.

Fastest 300
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722123
01/11/15 05:10 PM
01/11/15 05:10 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
All I know is that I run a MSD 7AL2 box. I wanted to see how much noise there was on the grounds from the box so I dug out my scope and Rogowski coil. Bet most people don't know what a Rogowski coil is - it is a flexible core current transducer. Mine has a bandwidth of 5 to 8 mhz so it is designed to measure high frequency current.

There was so much noise it was impossible to measure. I got no idea how any of the electronics works with all that noise....

That convinced me to follow MSD's installation instructions to a t!

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Crizila] #1722124
01/11/15 05:23 PM
01/11/15 05:23 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
I burnt up the same fast box 3 times trying to figure out my issues. I could not figure out why it was frying the main board. I have one wire hooked to the FAST harness, the pink key switched wire. Changed this several times through my endeavor.
The main red and black wires went to the battery. Every time it burnt up the ecu the crank trigger stopped reading. The crank trigger is a 2 wire system shielded and grounded on the sensor end. I used weather packs as the plug. I later cut the weather pack off and went with spade connectors to eliminate the weather pack. Then had a friend cut those connectors off and redo the connection just to eliminate myself from the problem lol. As I type this I remember moving the crank trigger away from the altinator, then removing the altinator, after I relocated the crank trigger to the oil pump side of the motor. Also changed where the shielding wire bolted to the motor and the routing of the crank trigger wires. Pulled the working crank trigger off the Valiant and swapped them out to eliminate that.

So I started looking other places. I PM'd Monty here about a Holley system but later decided that since I have FAST sensors all ready, to get a top of the line black ECU and new harness straight from the FAST tech guy. This eliminated the 1st ECU and harness and now I have a spare. It ran good till I started running the car hard again, then it would just turn off. It didn't burn up this time but the logger looks like you unhook the battery wile making a pass. Later learned my red box was an early one and the later ecu has more filtering like Monty talks about Holley doing.

So I looked else where. Changed cap, wires, rotor, the plugs were new a few times so I have changed brands now lol. Added another Battery to fight voltage drop. Started adding grounds to everything even the stupid stuff like relays and heads and chassi etc.. it still ain't fix

So I keep reading on the Web. Post my soap opera on a few turbo sites on the Web and get a few people that want to help. Monty being one
the suggestions are stuff I have not try'd so I keep at it.

I can turn it down to 15 psi of boost and run a hi 4 in the 1\8 but that's not what I built it for. This thing will go mid 4's once I can keep it running from A to B. It's went 130mph in the 1/8 and I was peddling it like John Force looking for Elvis. It never got above 6 grand.

I know this is a little past what Gregsdart started this post for but I'm really glad he did. If it saves one guy an issue then good. But this is almost the exact thing I needed to get a handle on my car. Just the information about the plug wires for me was invaluable. To me a Taylor wire has been top of the line for years. I'll be ordering fire core wires this week lol

I will be rewiring my car front to back in the next couple weeks and will prolly wire it like a boat. Every ground going to the battery. I do have a few questions, I have two yellow tops. Should I run the grounds from things like water pump, intercooler pump, turbo oil pump, and electric fan to one battery and the electronics to the other? What about the starter and lights? Do you still ground both battery's to the chassi but still run dedicated grounds?
Monty, next time you get to Bowling Green gimme me a yell. I'm an hour north. I owe you lunch

My year was a learning year. This is my 1st turbo race car. Many guys on this site know I have been building this thing since 2007. Monty and myself bumped heads when I started, but it was because of miscommunication. .after I met him at the track, seen him and the Buick at the track etc I seen he was a welth of knowledge and would honstly try to help

Last edited by FastmOp; 01/11/15 06:01 PM.
Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: markz528] #1722125
01/11/15 07:22 PM
01/11/15 07:22 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

All I know is that I run a MSD 7AL2 box. I wanted to see how much noise there was on the grounds from the box so I dug out my scope and Rogowski coil. Bet most people don't know what a Rogowski coil is - it is a flexible core current transducer. Mine has a bandwidth of 5 to 8 mhz so it is designed to measure high frequency current.

There was so much noise it was impossible to measure. I got no idea how any of the electronics works with all that noise.... This is also interesting. I was lead to believe the frequency's at the box were of the lower variety. Another think I'll ask about.
Doug

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: dvw] #1722126
01/11/15 07:37 PM
01/11/15 07:37 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

the deal is there is no down side to wire a car as Monte has described, thats the bottom line

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: FastmOp] #1722127
01/11/15 07:38 PM
01/11/15 07:38 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
What you MUST remember about ANY ECU, is that it is a microprocessor and is such is sensitive to outside influences, sometimes regardless of the filtering. Plus the filtering can NOT protect the box from outside sources anyway.

Here is a rundown of how I have been wiring EFI cars for a few years and so far, I have had ZERO problems with noise.

I make a copper buss bar about 1.5" wide and 6-8" long. I drill holes varying from 1/4" to 3/8" along it's length. I then mount the buss bar under the dash on rubber isolators, like comes with an MSD box. I run a minimum of a 1 gauge wire directly from the battery to buss bar. I then run a 1 gauge wire from this same buss bar post to the motor plate and from motor plate to each head. That is all that is on THIS post on buss bar. The ECU power and ground runs directly to battery. NOT the cutoff, but TO THE BATTERY. All other items, like pumps, fans, coils, etc, ground to various lugs on buss bar. Now obviously, with a ground running to motor plate and heads, the chassis itself IS grounded, but it is NOT my primary ground circuit. And as I said earlier, the only thing I actually ground to the chassis or sheetmetal itself, is the lighting circuit. I also ALWAYS use a Ford starter relay on ANY car I wire. This and use a LARGE cable from batt to relay and from relay to starter. This gets you FULL battery power while cranking. I also do NOT stack a bunch of 12 volts feeds for other items on the relay itself. If I need other feeds, I run a 1 gauge cable from batt side of relay, to an isolated terminal stud to pick up power from. You may say that's "the same as" stacking feeds on input side of relay.......NO, it's NOT. Also use a "shielded" trigger wire on the crank and cam sensors. Given the option, ground the shield through the ECU itself, or INSIDE the car on Buss bar...NOT on the engine end. Be sure and run the cam/crank sensor wiring by itself and totally separate of ANY other wiring where possible. "In the harness" with other wiring, about guarantees you a problem.

Hope this helps

Monte

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722128
01/11/15 10:11 PM
01/11/15 10:11 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
Quote:

What you MUST remember about ANY ECU, is that it is a microprocessor and is such is sensitive to outside influences, sometimes regardless of the filtering. Plus the filtering can NOT protect the box from outside sources anyway.

Here is a rundown of how I have been wiring EFI cars for a few years and so far, I have had ZERO problems with noise.

I make a copper buss bar about 1.5" wide and 6-8" long. I drill holes varying from 1/4" to 3/8" along it's length. I then mount the buss bar under the dash on rubber isolators, like comes with an MSD box. I run a minimum of a 1 gauge wire directly from the battery to buss bar. I then run a 1 gauge wire from this same buss bar post to the motor plate and from motor plate to each head. That is all that is on THIS post on buss bar. The ECU power and ground runs directly to battery. NOT the cutoff, but TO THE BATTERY. All other items, like pumps, fans, coils, etc, ground to various lugs on buss bar. Now obviously, with a ground running to motor plate and heads, the chassis itself IS grounded, but it is NOT my primary ground circuit. And as I said earlier, the only thing I actually ground to the chassis or sheetmetal itself, is the lighting circuit. I also ALWAYS use a Ford starter relay on ANY car I wire. This and use a LARGE cable from batt to relay and from relay to starter. This gets you FULL battery power while cranking. I also do NOT stack a bunch of 12 volts feeds for other items on the relay itself. If I need other feeds, I run a 1 gauge cable from batt side of relay, to an isolated terminal stud to pick up power from. You may say that's "the same as" stacking feeds on input side of relay.......NO, it's NOT. Also use a "shielded" trigger wire on the crank and cam sensors. Given the option, ground the shield through the ECU itself, or INSIDE the car on Buss bar...NOT on the engine end. Be sure and run the cam/crank sensor wiring by itself and totally separate of ANY other wiring where possible. "In the harness" with other wiring, about guarantees you a problem.

Hope this helps

Monte

Street Car, Race Car, Street Car named Desire, this sounds like the sure-fire way of NOT running into any issues with electronics, which I believe is his point.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1722129
01/12/15 01:31 PM
01/12/15 01:31 PM
Huntsville, AL
A
Airwoofer Offline
mopar
Airwoofer  Offline
mopar
A

Huntsville, AL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Directly to the frame is ALWAYS your best bet - for grounding everything. Least # of attaching points for the starter / alternator. Next best is something that is welded to the frame. Worst is something that is bolted to the frame. Doing voltage drop tests are always in order when doing / checking grounds.

Not close to correct...........in fact that is the WORST way to wire a ground system. Just because people do it all the time and it is passable, does not make it right. Work with a lot of EFI cars as I do and you will quickly find the flaws in this type system. Your frame or sheetmetal is a TERRIBLE conductor.

What I do on all the EFI and actually everything I wire now, is a "floating" ground system. I attach a copper bus bar on rubber isolators under the dash. I run the cable from battery to bus bar and run all high draw grounds to this bar, such as ignition, pumps, fans, etc. I also tie both heads together and run a ground wire to bus bar as well. The ONLY thing I ground to the actual chassis or sheetmetal is the lights

Monte

So Monte, are you saying that the only stuff that is critical to have the floating ground is the electronic stuff and not necessarily the rest of the analog stuff like starter, lights, fan, water pump, etc...? That's a whole lot easier to swallow than a complete rewire of a car to add EFI. Them wires under the dash are hard to get to on my junk, and the dash isn't coming out without cutting bars.

You are asking for a MAJOR headache with what you want to do...........and if I recall correctly, is the EXACT reason that I am not wiring your car for you. I told that I WOULD NOT do it, unless you let me rip all that stock crap out and wire the car RIGHT and you were NOT on board with that. You are asking for a MAJOR headache. Been there, done that and won't do it again. We have HAD this conversation standing in my shop. I refuse to chase gremlins on a car with a modern EFI and 40 year old factory wiring. Not worth it

Monte

Someone misunderstood my question. So I will ask again... Is it acceptable to have the electronic stuff like ign and modules operating on one power system and the analog stuff on another, thus maybe avoiding the noise spikes from water pump, fans, fuel pumps, lights, line lock, TB? They meet at the battery terminals.

I wasn't asking you to rewire my car in the message, and I have (unfortunately perhaps) moved away from the idea of EFI and will blow through instead.

You also had a lot on your mind that day.

Re: Grounding for battery in the trunck? [Re: Airwoofer] #1722130
01/12/15 02:11 PM
01/12/15 02:11 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Directly to the frame is ALWAYS your best bet - for grounding everything. Least # of attaching points for the starter / alternator. Next best is something that is welded to the frame. Worst is something that is bolted to the frame. Doing voltage drop tests are always in order when doing / checking grounds.

Not close to correct...........in fact that is the WORST way to wire a ground system. Just because people do it all the time and it is passable, does not make it right. Work with a lot of EFI cars as I do and you will quickly find the flaws in this type system. Your frame or sheetmetal is a TERRIBLE conductor.

What I do on all the EFI and actually everything I wire now, is a "floating" ground system. I attach a copper bus bar on rubber isolators under the dash. I run the cable from battery to bus bar and run all high draw grounds to this bar, such as ignition, pumps, fans, etc. I also tie both heads together and run a ground wire to bus bar as well. The ONLY thing I ground to the actual chassis or sheetmetal is the lights

Monte

So Monte, are you saying that the only stuff that is critical to have the floating ground is the electronic stuff and not necessarily the rest of the analog stuff like starter, lights, fan, water pump, etc...? That's a whole lot easier to swallow than a complete rewire of a car to add EFI. Them wires under the dash are hard to get to on my junk, and the dash isn't coming out without cutting bars.

You are asking for a MAJOR headache with what you want to do...........and if I recall correctly, is the EXACT reason that I am not wiring your car for you. I told that I WOULD NOT do it, unless you let me rip all that stock crap out and wire the car RIGHT and you were NOT on board with that. You are asking for a MAJOR headache. Been there, done that and won't do it again. We have HAD this conversation standing in my shop. I refuse to chase gremlins on a car with a modern EFI and 40 year old factory wiring. Not worth it

Monte

Someone misunderstood my question. So I will ask again... Is it acceptable to have the electronic stuff like ign and modules operating on one power system and the analog stuff on another, thus maybe avoiding the noise spikes from water pump, fans, fuel pumps, lights, line lock, TB? They meet at the battery terminals.

I wasn't asking you to rewire my car in the message, and I have (unfortunately perhaps) moved away from the idea of EFI and will blow through instead.

You also had a lot on your mind that day.

I know you weren't asking me to wire your car. But you asked a question and I answered it. And the answer was, in my opinion, it is a MISTAKE to try and integrate modern electronics hand in hand with 40 year old wiring. You are talking about two totally separate systems. Well how you gonna do that. You have ONE car and ONE battery, so how are you going to have stock stuff on this circuit and new stuff on this circuit. It just doesn't work that way.

So in my opinion and this is strictly MY opinion........you are making two serious mistakes. The first is going blowthrough, the second is not rewiring the car.

And it doesn't matter what I had on my mind or what was going on. My thoughts on your project haven't changed. All that factory wiring serves ZERO purpose for what you intend to do and is only asking for trouble to leave it in there..........Not to mention this has been a race car for a long time and all sorts of wiring changes over the years. So STRIP it, do it RIGHT. You didn't want to.

Monte

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9