11/14/14 09:22 PM
11/14/14 09:22 PM
Sweden
D
Dreadlock Offline OP
Dreadlock  Offline OP
D

Sweden
My 69 RR has a disc brake conversion from SSBC - the ones with built in parking brake.

I've failed inspection twice now because they say that car lacks stopping power when I apply the parking brake

I tried to "re clock" the spring that sits on the backside of the caliper first one notch then two - and tightened up the adjuster bolt so the tires just could be moved by hand. Felt firm. Applied the parking brake - and I could not move the tires at all. Same on both sides. Car back on ground, started it up but same result - no stopping power at all...

So question
Can I adjust it anywhere else than on the adjustment bolt, just before the cable divides into left and right caliper and the re clocking of the spring?

Any other ideas?

Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Dreadlock] #1699101
11/14/14 09:59 PM
11/14/14 09:59 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Here in the states the PARKING brake is designed to hold a parked vehicle, not to stop one that is moving in any reasonable distance. Not sure what Sweden is looking for.

The law http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.41

That all being said, the calipers self adjust by using the parking brake. As the pad wears the use of the parking brake, when parked, will allow a ratchet mechanism in the caliper to take up the extra clearance between the pads and rotor.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Supercuda] #1699102
11/15/14 05:24 AM
11/15/14 05:24 AM
Sweden
D
Dreadlock Offline OP
Dreadlock  Offline OP
D

Sweden
Here it needs to hold the vehicle still at a 16% incline which they test by putting the car in drive and see if it crawls away.

Are you saying that it cannot be done at all with this brake setup?

Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Dreadlock] #1699103
11/15/14 09:00 AM
11/15/14 09:00 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Quote:

Not sure what Sweden is looking for.

How about safety?

That law is fairly scary with the wrong naming of items.
IMO, the words 'Parking Brake' should not even be used at all. It should be called Emergency brake. Which is to be used if the main brakingsystem of a car fails or also when a mechanical braking is desired while a car is parked.

I could imagine that if you lived on a sloped street in San Francisco that a 'parking brake' should also be able to hold a (manually shifted) car.

Nonetheless, a parking/emergency brake that can't hold a car either parked or moving, are just useless parts on a car.
Anyone ever had GOOD results with a SSBC system on a Mopar?

Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1699104
11/15/14 01:23 PM
11/15/14 01:23 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
16% is pretty steep but it should be doable. You need to adjust the pistons in the calipers. IIRC, SSBC is real bad about not mentioning that. I took a look at SSBC's site and here's what they have to say.

"Parking Brake Adjustment
a) The caliper pistons adjust hydraulically by pumping the pedal. When a hard pedal is
achieved, there should be a clearance between the pads and rotor of 1/32” to 1/16”.
NOTE: IF THE PISTONS BECOME EXTENDED TOO FAR, THE INNER BRAKE PAD CAN BE REMOVED AND THE PISTON
CAN BE SCREWED BACK INTO THE CALIPER USING NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS OR A CALIPER ADJUSTING TOOL AVAILABLE AT MOST PARTS STORES.
b) Make sure the parking brake lever is in the full released position.
c) Take up the slack in the parking brake cables by adjusting the nut on the threaded rod
under the car. Cables should be adjusted until they are taught but not enough to move
the parking brake levers on the calipers.
d) Move the parking brake handle through its full travel several times. The parking brake
should hold the car from rolling but create no brake resistance when in the full released position. Make sure the brake lever is returned all the way when the parking brake is released."

If your pad to rotor clearance is good and you either have too much slack in the cables or not enough throw in the parking brake end of the setup. What are you using to actuate the parking brake? The OEM foot pedal?

As for "emergency brake", it was never intended, nor designed to perform that function. It is a holding brake, nothing more. Wishing it were something else is futile.

Don't be the exception.
Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1699105
11/15/14 03:40 PM
11/15/14 03:40 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

That law is fairly scary with the wrong naming of items.
IMO, the words 'Parking Brake' should not even be used at all. It should be called Emergency brake. Which is to be used if the main brakingsystem of a car fails

Remember how many old cars had that brake on the rear of the transmission? Wouldn't be much use in an emergency where the driveline failed.

Owners manuals back to the forties call it a "parking brake", the often-used term "emergency brake" is the misnomer.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Supercuda] #1699106
11/15/14 04:02 PM
11/15/14 04:02 PM
Sweden
D
Dreadlock Offline OP
Dreadlock  Offline OP
D

Sweden
Quote:

If your pad to rotor clearance is good and you either have too much slack in the cables or not enough throw in the parking brake end of the setup. What are you using to actuate the parking brake? The OEM foot pedal?

Yes I'm using the OEM foot pedal - just got the car, which is my first classic Mopar. The LX-based cars had another setup in the rear - but still a mechanical parking brake and it worked as they require in sweden. I know it's a different setup with a drum inside the hub, but it's still mechanical I was thinking...

Quote:

As for "emergency brake", it was never intended, nor designed to perform that function. It is a holding brake, nothing more. Wishing it were something else is futile.

I hear you - but the thing should at least show the needles moving on the brake bench - right now they're dead

I'll try to adjust the rear brakes closer to the disc to see what happens. I'll let you know. Thank you guys! Awesome board. And a quick picture of the car in question:

http://i.imgur.com/LFb8YHk.jpg

Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Dreadlock] #1699107
11/15/14 06:04 PM
11/15/14 06:04 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
That's the problem with aftermarket stuff, a lot of it fails to actually be an improvement on the OEM stuff. Not to mention the engineering really is not there.

There are two levers in the parking brake system, one at the foot pedal, the other at the caliper. If you lengthen the lever at the pedal you will get more travel of the lever at eh caliper, assuming you are not already maxing out the travel there, this might help.

Here's a link to a Mustang rear caliper that might help you figure out what it's supposed to do.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-...king-brake.html

You'll notice that as you use the parking brake it tends to screw the piston out of the caliper, this is to take up slack in the system. If the piston is too far in, like on new or rebuilt calipers, you may have to unscrew the piston out some, or work the parking brake setup till the slack is out, then the parking brake will hold.

Don't be the exception.
Re: SSBC Hand brake question [Re: Supercuda] #1699108
11/16/14 06:42 PM
11/16/14 06:42 PM
upper So. CA
N
ntsqd Offline
ntsqd  Offline
N

upper So. CA
Hard to tell for sure from their picture, but it looks like they are using the GM p-brake mechanism in that caliper. If so, here is an article written by a Mech. Engineer on how to get them to function at their best: http://classicbroncos.com/tech/rear-disc-brakes-cadillacgm-calipers
Note that he has since abandoned that type of p-brake assembly and gone to the Explorer system of a drum type p-brake internal to the rotor's hat.

I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right thru them.