11/10/14 01:53 PM
11/10/14 01:53 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
The car has been non-operational more than it has been driveable over the last couple of years.. Its been May since I last raced it and then had to pull the motor due to oil issues.. and currently its still at the machine shop with a long laundry list of problems... and at least another couple months before it'll be ready for pick up..

In the last two years, I've dumped a very sizeable amount of money in it and if I was married, the amount is so great, I'm sure I'd be planning for a divorce..

When I look back at the cost and labor and sweat I've put into a car that is nothing more than a trailer weight, I realized that with this summer long break from racing, I dont think I miss racing all that much..

Either I dont miss it... or I've been so turned off by the last couple of years, I question if I'll ever get back the passion I once had..

Has this happened to you and how did you work past it?

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1696937
11/10/14 02:14 PM
11/10/14 02:14 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Problems cause a lot of work and cost money.
It's not as much fun when you are under the car more than you are in the car!

I have kept going, through some difficult times.
But I did question if I was getting too old? If all this work and money are worth it?
I kept going and had some success so it was worth it!

A lot of guys have problems with SB oiling.
Maybe a mild BB would be cheaper to get the same performance level?

Just my opion.
Don

8327075-8-2-093ofus.jpg (148 downloads)
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1696938
11/10/14 02:16 PM
11/10/14 02:16 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Since having my two boys I have not raced (2010)! Now they are 2 & 5 and are showing a great interest in the "race car" which is finally giving me some motivation...before this I was going through the same thing thinking I might even sell the duster.
My beautiful wife kept talking me out of it thankfully! So I know the feeling...
Brian

Brian Hafliger
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: cudadon] #1696939
11/10/14 02:18 PM
11/10/14 02:18 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Buy another car See problem solved.

If you do not have the passion to do this then in my humble opinion you need to sell and move on. Once you begin trying to justify the expense it is probably time to move on. IMO cut the losses before they get even bigger, because that is just the nature of this hobby/sport. I have watched a lot of people stick with this being somewhat miserable and always complaining about the money they spend. In my opinion they should have found a place to stay that the budget was comfortable with or just moved on. There are a large number of folks who try to keep up with the Jones's only to end up in over their heads, either financially or above their abilities only to resent the time and money they "wasted" in this sport. Most of the money spent doing this is wasted money period!!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1696940
11/10/14 02:34 PM
11/10/14 02:34 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline
pro stock

Oregon
I have "moved on" more than once in the 25 years since I started. After a break I've always moved back.

You don't strike me as the non addicted person that will give up just yet. See you at a track in your area in the spring?

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: sg66mopar] #1696941
11/10/14 02:39 PM
11/10/14 02:39 PM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
It happens to everyone. Every part I touched last year on the car turned out to be a problem. I went from doing a quick trans/main bearing check, to... the only part in the motor from last year is the block and crank, new Dana 60, and a slew of trans parts. I didn't get out to the track for a full year trying to thrash on the car.

There were LOTS of days that it wasn't fun anymore... if it wasn't for my wife pushing me to get it done so I could enjoy it and completely taking over running our day to day lives so I could get out in the garage, it would still probably be in pieces.

That being said, it was very rewarding once the car made it back to the track. I took a few months off from the garage, but I was out there this weekend working on the car trailer and I'm back to liking it again.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: dizuster] #1696942
11/10/14 02:42 PM
11/10/14 02:42 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well I will likely be sitting out the next three years, or at least the better part of them as the Air Force has different plans for us the next three years. Not getting any younger either so who knows what will happen next. I will get the Stratus done but not sure when or IF we will ever get it out.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1696943
11/10/14 02:47 PM
11/10/14 02:47 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I have a BIG issue with waiting on people so I do 85% of my own work and enjoy that part as much as racing. I'm more of a test n tuner that races every week because I still love the competition. I usually have 500-800 max machine work done to my engines that I have to pay for and its usually done in 1-2 weeks. i never have been or will be the type of racer that wins a lot because I like to tinker on my set-ups. I did some calculating over the weekend of what some of my Friends paid to race over the weekend and my head started to spin. Southern doorslamers race 2 entries 760 dollars (3 day race weekend) Friday buy-back 60 dollars, Saturday buy-back 100 dollars, Sunday buy-back 60 dollars. These guys aren't racing they are buying the win in my eyes to the point of craziness. How can you enjoy the sport when its costing this much money and that's not even taking in traveling costs.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1696944
11/10/14 02:49 PM
11/10/14 02:49 PM
Pittsburgh
C
ChuckT Offline
enthusiast
ChuckT  Offline
enthusiast
C

Pittsburgh
Quote:

When I look back at the cost and labor and sweat I've put into a car that is nothing more than a trailer weight, I realized that with this summer long break from racing, I dont think I miss racing all that much..

Either I dont miss it... or I've been so turned off by the last couple of years, I question if I'll ever get back the passion I once had..

I am in the same spot. Blew up my engine end of 2012. Everything fought me trying to get the car going in 2013. Got it going this year, still fighting issues. It's close, but still have some bugs to work out. It is really frustrating. I am a pretty dedicated weekly points bracket racer, and last year I was in 7 or 8 different cars trying to stay in the chase. Just 3 different cars this year, but still frustrating. I did get to make a test and tune with my car and pile up some 1/8th mile hits. That stoked my fire. And a buddy let me use his car for the SBRA bracket finals, and I trailered a car or 2 over the 3 days. I have to admit, sometimes it felt like more work than I wanted to take on, as well as just selling and then going with something new to me. For me, I still enjoy the rush, win or lose, pulling through the top end looking over at my opponent and making a decision. To me, it sounds like you're as frustrated as I am, spending the money and time and not getting any return... yet. I'm working through it with the plan to swing hard right out of the gate in the 2015 season. I hope you get some good luck coming your way.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1696945
11/10/14 02:57 PM
11/10/14 02:57 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I'm probably one of the guys that Al is talking about staying in it too long. I've spent 10's of thousands the last couple of years and had the worst 2 seasons ever, since I started.
A few things keep my interest up. The friends I have that do it, the pure competition I feel when I am able to race, and the feeling of accomplishment I feel when I occasionally win. If I do quit, it will be after I have accomplished what I came into the sport to do, win a National event. Or until my health or wallet won't allow me to continue. The money spent for bad results, will always p!ss me off. JMO

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: ChuckT] #1696946
11/10/14 02:59 PM
11/10/14 02:59 PM
Janesville, WI
SpareParts Offline
pro stock
SpareParts  Offline
pro stock

Janesville, WI
It's easy to get burnt out on things when every step knocks you back two.
Go spectate at the track and find your motivation

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: ChuckT] #1696947
11/10/14 03:03 PM
11/10/14 03:03 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

I am in the same spot. Blew up my engine end of 2012. Everything fought me trying to get the car going in 2013. Got it going this year, still fighting issues. It's close, but still have some bugs to work out. It is really frustrating. I am a pretty dedicated weekly points bracket racer, and last year I was in 7 or 8 different cars trying to stay in the chase. Just 3 different cars this year, but still frustrating. I did get to make a test and tune with my car and pile up some 1/8th mile hits. That stoked my fire. And a buddy let me use his car for the SBRA bracket finals, and I trailered a car or 2 over the 3 days. I have to admit, sometimes it felt like more work than I wanted to take on, as well as just selling and then going with something new to me. For me, I still enjoy the rush, win or lose, pulling through the top end looking over at my opponent and making a decision. To me, it sounds like you're as frustrated as I am, spending the money and time and not getting any return... yet. I'm working through it with the plan to swing hard right out of the gate in the 2015 season. I hope you get some good luck coming your way.

And in his spare time Chuck is one heck of a good track announcer. Can't wait to see you hit the track again on a regular bases Chuck (in your car) and anytime you need a hand, some Ho-Ho cake, or a sippin drink let me know. lets hit Quaker Steak and Lube some Tuesday night for all you can eat wings.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: ChuckT] #1696948
11/10/14 03:10 PM
11/10/14 03:10 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I can honestly say I know how you feel,its no Fun to spend $$$ on a Race-Car and not have any Fun with it much less not make any $$$ with it,I have "Been There Done That"!
But I just refuse to fail at something I want to do and will not give up.Because it does get better sooner or later more the later.
And once you get back on track again it will then be like you can do no wrong.Then once I got back to I could do no wrong I was doing good but it was more like work than fun.Now its fun again and I am more happy than I ever have been with my Racing,and believe me it is now worth all the $$$ and hard work.And I believe in the end it will be for you as well.
My best advice to you is if you are burnt out,step back get you a fast Street-Car I can not tell you how much Fun they are after you grow up and no longer a Teenager,but never even think about selling your Race-Car for the next couple of years.In a few years if/when you change your mind about Racing you will only have to refresh everything and maybe do a few up-grades and that will be much cheaper than having to buy everything.
PS Once you get Racing in your blood you will never be able to walk away from it! Good Luck

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1696949
11/10/14 03:11 PM
11/10/14 03:11 PM
Penna
70satelliteguy Offline
pro stock
70satelliteguy  Offline
pro stock

Penna

I am currently in the exact same boat as you with car and parts at the machine shop. I also have been off from racing since June and wondered if I would really miss it that much if I just sold the car!
But deep down inside I realize that this stuff is in my blood and by your statement "Has this happened to you and how did you work past it?" leads me to believe that you really want to Work past it and continue with your passion and I think a lot of us need that PASSION in our lives. You need something to get you FIRED UP on weekends. Otherwise you will just be like every one else sitting on the couch watching football and getting fat.
Be patient,put everything back together and start back into it. At that point you will know if you should continue or not.That is what I am planning to do and am pretty sure that my passion will return.

And don't worry about getting old. One of the best racers at our track is 75 years old and just purchased his first dragster!!He is my HERO
Mike

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: pittsburghracer] #1696950
11/10/14 03:15 PM
11/10/14 03:15 PM
Pittsburgh
C
ChuckT Offline
enthusiast
ChuckT  Offline
enthusiast
C

Pittsburgh
Thanks John, for the kind words and the offer. QSL AYCE wing night... heck yeah!!!

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1696951
11/10/14 03:24 PM
11/10/14 03:24 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Don, you know I had similar issues in my past - we were talking back and forth through my divorce. I got rid of everything, because I needed to at the time for money and emotional issues. Sometimes you just have to reset the clock. You took a huge step to get into this car, now you're standing at the landing wondering why it's not as high as it looked...lol. It took me more than a year to rediscover the car things. And currently all I do is other peoples' stuff because of $$ and time issues and the amount of stuff my own cars need. On top of that is the GF and her two teenage kids that I've grown to love. So the time allotted is way less. but I don;t care. They're just cars. Kids will only be around so long and the GF is excited for me to get back into cars and racing. So my advice is simply go with what feels right. Your feelings are the only thing that are truly yours, so go with them. if you want t oget out, get out. if you need a break, mothball the stuff. We age worse than any mechanical devices...lol. You love it too much to make it permanent but if it's adepressive trigger and there's not much light showing the end of a tunnel, store it and go do something you want to.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: moper] #1696952
11/10/14 03:46 PM
11/10/14 03:46 PM
Rescue CA.
joes68340s Offline
mopar
joes68340s  Offline
mopar

Rescue CA.
I have gone through this many times for all the same posted reasons. Had to leave my 23 year career as a Aircraft mechanic with back problems. So I stopped working on car tore it down just to painful to work on. I finally threw it back together after sitting for two years and took it out for a tnt and it ran its best ever. You will know when to stop and then get back in taking a little time off can be good. I am running out of physical time as it is still painful but I had fun and I hope to get back to a few races before I have to finally call it quits. If you need a little more time take it.

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: joes68340s] #1696953
11/10/14 04:34 PM
11/10/14 04:34 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
So at this point you need to decide whether to keep going, or how to sell what you have. Rolling chassis and a fresh B1 engine. Personally I think you might do better keeping them separate, but maybe Al thinks otherwise.....he's certainly sold his share of cars. Love it or otherwise, I'm in this for awile. I've got my "fun" package near completion, and the "ok it gets me out there" package already tested and sitting aside just in case. I can't wait to get back out there in some level!

Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: J_BODY] #1696954
11/10/14 04:52 PM
11/10/14 04:52 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
I have been racing before I even had a license, about 40 years now. I have taken breaks many times. Some just for a year or two and one time for 8 years. When it ceases to be fun it's time to step away for awhile. I haven't raced for 2 years now mostly because of financial reasons. Car is together, needs some minor things that I could do now but I'm not in a hurry to do them. At 57 almost 58 I just don't have the drive like I had before. I know if I go out to the track though I'll be motivated again, so I don't go.

One thing I can tell you is you may not want to sell your stuff. It's not really costing anything to sit there and replacing it when you want to go back will be expensive. I just sit on my stuff until I'm ready to go back at it.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: What do you guys do when this happens??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1696955
11/10/14 05:09 PM
11/10/14 05:09 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
What I do............... THEN I figure it out..........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4