10/30/14 02:37 PM
10/30/14 02:37 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Spending to much time hanging around Comp guys IN some instances when a porter gets carried away better to upgrade than continue to throw money at parts that wont make the power you want.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Advantages to Titanium vs Stainless?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1691586
10/30/14 03:42 PM
10/30/14 03:42 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Thanks again everyone for your info... I spoke with the engine builder again yesterday.. Straight up told him I wanted to break the bank and get the titanium valves...

He flat out rejected that idea and used that polite "In all due respect" phrase... which basically means he refuses to spend the extra money and once again said I should save the money or upgrade to better heads and then get the exotic valves..

I guess that means he doesnt like B1 Original heads... but then he's a high horsepower, heads up racer...

In light of that I would find a different builder It is not like you are asking him to put in plastic valves or something, he should do it the way you ask him too unless it was destructive or dis-honest and that request is neither I run into that kind of stuff at machine shops pretty often "you can't mill .030 off the deck of a 5.9 magnum block" was the last one I had to deal with, I found a shop to do it (he said the same thing but he eventually did it) and the truck is still running great a couple years later.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Advantages to Titanium vs Stainless?? [Re: HotRodDave] #1691587
10/30/14 04:13 PM
10/30/14 04:13 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
He does not need a new builder. He has a brutally honest one now. I am pretty sure he would rather see Don buy a new set of heads all together rather than throw more money at these. But the fact is the heads he has simply wont get where he wants to be. Sometimes the truth hurts. This is one of those times when it will just be throwing good money after bad. Finding an honest engine builder is always what's best. Not one that will do whatever you ask, just because you say, especially if it means throwing your hard earned money away. Trust me he is in very capable hands.

I would have like to have seen titanium valves but I would have also like to have seen someone else do the port work. It was done by a well known shop, but in the quest for big flow numbers I do not believe the design of the port is the best way. It took a huge cross section to achieve the numbers, not the best way. I feel somewhat responsible as I was asked about the shop used. I can tell you that I will not do it again. I think what Don needs now is a RELIABLE piece that stays together. The overall package will work well and last. May not make 950hp but it will stay together. IMO at this point that is what is important.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Page 2 of 2 1 2