East Coast
A
A/MP Offline OP
super stock
A/MP  Offline OP
super stock
A

East Coast
Looking for some options on converting my early A front suspension. I've seen the Alterkation set up and the price. Looking for an alternative.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691078
10/27/14 12:55 AM
10/27/14 12:55 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Why?

The stock suspension is pretty good and a heck of a lot better than a MII setup. Unless you have a need for something not suspension related for this change you are wasting your money and time.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: Supercuda] #1691079
10/27/14 01:49 PM
10/27/14 01:49 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
The stock suspension is a really good design. Much better than the Mustang II stuff IMO. The issue most racers have with it is weight and adjustability. If weight loss is what you are after, contact someone like Bob's Pro Fab.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691080
10/28/14 11:26 AM
10/28/14 11:26 AM
upper So. CA
N
ntsqd Offline
ntsqd  Offline
N

upper So. CA
Mustang II's are simply wide track Pintos. The front suspension parts are all the same. I've never understood their popularity with the hot rod crowd.

I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right thru them.
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691081
10/28/14 11:58 AM
10/28/14 11:58 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
What are you wanting to do with the car?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691082
10/28/14 02:53 PM
10/28/14 02:53 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Looking for some options on converting my early A front suspension. I've seen the Alterkation set up and the price. Looking for an alternative.

well worth the price. its a complete kit that fits and works as it should. you can go cheaper but may not like the outcome.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: cogen80] #1691083
10/28/14 11:24 PM
10/28/14 11:24 PM
East Coast
A
A/MP Offline OP
super stock
A/MP  Offline OP
super stock
A

East Coast
I'm looking to build an every day driver that handles very well, an occasional autocross and a long driver. I certainly don't what a new/newer car.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691084
10/29/14 03:08 AM
10/29/14 03:08 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Hemi Denny K member is another option. If you're not planning a Gen III swap, you can get by with stock stuff just fine.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: 72Swinger] #1691085
10/29/14 09:33 AM
10/29/14 09:33 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Hemi Denny K member is another option. If you're not planning a Gen III swap, you can get by with stock stuff just fine.

by the time you source all the same quality parts that the alter-k already comes with they are very close in price.

i see a bunch of posts on other boards about guys buying that hemmy denny thing but no actual real world usage feedback. they all seem to be projects in the works. the alter-k you have a ton of positive real world usage feedback.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: A/MP] #1691086
10/29/14 06:43 PM
10/29/14 06:43 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

I'm looking to build an every day driver that handles very well, an occasional autocross and a long driver. I certainly don't what a new/newer car.

I don't see a need for doing anything more than a simple rebuild with better springs, shocks, and sway bar. Price it out and I bet you'd be well under the price of an Aterkation.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: ntsqd] #1691087
10/29/14 10:06 PM
10/29/14 10:06 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Mustang II's are simply wide track Pintos. The front suspension parts are all the same. I've never understood their popularity with the hot rod crowd.

Because they are worlds better than the solid axle front suspensions most hot rods came with new. Better handling, better brakes, better ride, better than the horse cart design they came with stock.

But it is not better than the stock A body suspension.

Don't be the exception.
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: cogen80] #1691088
10/29/14 11:32 PM
10/29/14 11:32 PM
Pgh, PA
B
Bull1tt Offline
top fuel
Bull1tt  Offline
top fuel
B

Pgh, PA
Quote:

Quote:

by the time you source all the same quality parts that the alter-k already comes with they are very close in price.

i see a bunch of posts on other boards about guys buying that hemmy denny thing but no actual real world usage feedback. they all seem to be projects in the works. the alter-k you have a ton of positive real world usage feedback.

The HDK suspension keeps the front wheels in the correct location vs the others that put the wheels outward, like swapping the later A-body spindles and disc brake set-up. His parts have been on the road at least ten or fifteen years... Just recently going retail with his suspension.
Check it out here: HDK on FABO

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: cogen80] #1691089
10/30/14 12:52 AM
10/30/14 12:52 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Yea it looks like it comes out to the same price as the alterkation, but it does look like a good piece with maybe a few more options as far as ride height and spindle choice. If weight is a big concern it looks like it might have a few pounds extra over the alterkation, but if I was in the market for a new front end I think I would give the HDK a try, looks like a nice front end.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: Bull1tt] #1691090
10/30/14 09:18 AM
10/30/14 09:18 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The HDK suspension keeps the front wheels in the correct location vs the others that put the wheels outward, like swapping the later A-body spindles and disc brake set-up. His parts have been on the road at least ten or fifteen years... Just recently going retail with his suspension.
Check it out here: HDK on FABO

i know this. but it doesn't change the fact that the only real world feed back is hemmy denny himself and a couple of friends. i'm not saying its junk or anything. the parts and welds are nice looking but i would want real world feedback from actual customers before i dropped 4k on the system. the only real feedback i have seen so far is that the pieces look good and look good in a non-operational car.oh and one guy saying how much of a PITA is was gathering the parts. with the alter-k you can get real world feedback from actual customers that have driven thousands of miles with the system in their car. thats the kind of feedback i want in order to decide to drop 4k on a system.

from the link you provided.
Quote:

Nice looking parts Denny. What is the intented purpose of your parts? Do you have any graphs of camber gain, roll center height, or bumpsteer?

Quote:

some 20 years ago, my intent was to get rid of the steering box to allow room for a Hemi in a A body.

The intent is still pretty much the same as when I started, Eliminate the bulky, worn out, 40-plus year old steering box with rear steer linkage and replace with a modern, compact, off the shelf, rack and pinion assembly. Also remove/replace the torsion bars to gain room for almost any exhaust you can imagine. And shed a few pounds along the way.

here is the tricky part, for me anyways.

no welding or cutting....100% bolt-on pieces

no exotic ($$$$) parts

use the existing upper control arm attaching points. This somewhat limits what you can do with roll center, however, it can be tuned/improved with extended upper ball joints. Further difficulty arises because of the simple fact hardly any two cars sit at the same ride height.

keep the front wheel / tire combo tucked into the front fenderwell for turning clearance and a better look

sorry..no graphs at this point. gotta put that one on top of the list. There are some pics on another thread showing camber gain thru-out travel.....it is virtually zero, however, due to the upper arm being shorter than the lower arm, there is naturally going to be some camber gain at full compression.

Re: MUSTANG SUSPENSION FOR AN EARLY A BODY [Re: cogen80] #1691091
10/30/14 07:39 PM
10/30/14 07:39 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
It's still a MII based suspension. That's a lot of money to clear up some space for headers, imo.

You could buy a TTI system complete to tailpipes for less and clear your stock based suspension.

I also have to wonder about the bumpsteer. In his specific installation, there may be none. But the early A body has a different inner LCA pivot location than a later one and a generic MII rack may not have it's inner tierod pivots in the proper place. Not to mention that ackerman will vary depending on wheelbase. Sounds like some fine tuning/checking is needed to ensure proper geometry. Not to say that the stock suspension doesn't need it too.

Don't be the exception.