Washington
M
madscientist Offline OP
master
madscientist  Offline OP
master
M

Washington
Does anyone know of a spool type motor mount that is solid, not poly? I can't seem to find anything.
Thanks

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: madscientist] #1686613
10/16/14 09:26 PM
10/16/14 09:26 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
I never heard of any. It would likely have to be custom made with an insert or perhaps a thin plate fitted on both sides and welded to the center bushing and oval perimeter.

Poly does a pretty good job, but I added a torque strap minimize movement on my car.

Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: madscientist] #1686614
10/16/14 10:37 PM
10/16/14 10:37 PM
Portsmouth, VA
D
DusterW2 Offline
top fuel
DusterW2  Offline
top fuel
D

Portsmouth, VA
As Myron stated, my friend had the spool mounts and he made up some flat steel plates that fit onto each end around the center tube. I welded the outer edge of the spool to the flat plate. Crude but functional.

Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: Locomotion] #1686615
10/16/14 11:03 PM
10/16/14 11:03 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I never heard of any. It would likely have to be custom made with an insert or perhaps a thin plate fitted on both sides and welded to the center bushing and oval perimeter.

Poly does a pretty good job, but I added a torque strap minimize movement on my car.

That's exactly what I do. Poly bushings and a torque strap - don't know if I have ever pulled it tight?

8302698-fluidamper1.jpg (63 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: Crizila] #1686616
10/17/14 06:08 PM
10/17/14 06:08 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline OP
master
madscientist  Offline OP
master
M

Washington
So it would appear I am stuck with poly.

Bummer

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: madscientist] #1686617
10/17/14 06:54 PM
10/17/14 06:54 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Well, if you're really set on solid mounts and ambitious, you can always swap out the spool k-member for and sandwich type and use Moroso mounts! But that's more work than fabricating & welding the end caps on the spool mounts. One last option would be a motor plate. But that leaves a long, unsupported area between the water pump & trans mount. (Not good if the trans blows.)

Poly can't be that bad. It's debatable, but I've always liked the idea of a torque strap as well so the actual block isn't stressed, even with solid mounts.

Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: Locomotion] #1686618
10/17/14 08:20 PM
10/17/14 08:20 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline OP
master
madscientist  Offline OP
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Well, if you're really set on solid mounts and ambitious, you can always swap out the spool k-member for and sandwich type and use Moroso mounts! But that's more work than fabricating & welding the end caps on the spool mounts. One last option would be a motor plate. But that leaves a long, unsupported area between the water pump & trans mount. (Not good if the trans blows.)

Poly can't be that bad. It's debatable, but I've always liked the idea of a torque strap as well so the actual block isn't stressed, even with solid mounts.

Thought about the K-member swap too. I don't want to do that because it's still a fairly clean, stock #'s matching car (for the most part)...so I'm hesitant to do that. Guess I could keep the original...but I'd have to store it. That sucks.

I guess it's not just the poly I don't care for. I don't really like this style mount. Looks to me the only advantage is assembly at the factory. Otherwise...I can see no reason why the spool is better than the old system.

Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: madscientist] #1686619
10/17/14 08:30 PM
10/17/14 08:30 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Thought about the K-member swap too. I don't want to do that because it's still a fairly clean, stock #'s matching car (for the most part)...so I'm hesitant to do that. Guess I could keep the original...but I'd have to store it. That sucks.

I guess it's not just the poly I don't care for. I don't really like this style mount. Looks to me the only advantage is assembly at the factory. Otherwise...I can see no reason why the spool is better than the old system.

What, you think the motor only goes in at the factory??? A lot easier with the spool mounts, especially if you are leaving the trans in place. Don't really understand what your problem is?? - but - as said, weld plates on the ends of the spool mounts and you are there. No K member hassles.

Fastest 300
Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: Crizila] #1686620
10/17/14 08:35 PM
10/17/14 08:35 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline OP
master
madscientist  Offline OP
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What, you think the motor only goes in at the factory??? A lot easier with the spool mounts, especially if you are leaving the trans in place. Don't really understand what your problem is?? - but - as said, weld plates on the ends of the spool mounts and you are there. No K member hassles.

So are you saying the spool system is better, or just easier to R&R?

For the record..I don't care for poly anything. Have a poly trans mount and don't like how it fit. So for the engine I would rather have it solid. Guess I can weld it.

Or, maybe I should machine up some solid ones, then have them CNC'd and make millions.

Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: madscientist] #1686621
10/17/14 11:14 PM
10/17/14 11:14 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying the spool system is better, or just easier to R&R?

For the record..I don't care for poly anything. Have a poly trans mount and don't like how it fit. So for the engine I would rather have it solid. Guess I can weld it.

Or, maybe I should machine up some solid ones, then have them CNC'd and make millions.

Easier for sure as far as R&R goes - and that alone makes it better IMO. Poly mounts allow very little movement, but still allow for some misalignment. IMO, they are a good compromise. BTW, if you go with solid engine mounts, I suggest you do the same with the trans mount. Hope you got a well reinforced frame ( reads no twisty ) to go along with those solid mounts. Some extra Polident on them choppers might be warranted too.

Fastest 300
Re: Spool type motor mounts [Re: Crizila] #1686622
10/18/14 05:14 PM
10/18/14 05:14 PM
Toronto, Canada
D
dirtybee Offline
super stock
dirtybee  Offline
super stock
D

Toronto, Canada
I thought the only reason they make solid biscuit motor mounts was because a high torque engine tends to rip the rubber biscuit in half on the driver side. The spool mounts basically eliminate this problem, even if all the rubber falls out the engine is still locked in to the k-frame. Is there any other reason for solid motor mounts? Why would you weld a spool mount solid? Is there a performance gain? I don't see how there would be. I thought the reason to go to an engine plate was to re-position the engine and gain header space. Please tell me if I am missing something here, thx.